• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

d9b

Banned
Playing since Friday... This game is great fun. Visually it's just painfully beautiful. SPunch you magnificent bastrads! :D

Schlomo

It's strange, while the city is so purdy this time around, it feels so unmemorable and lifeless.. I remember the cities in the first two games so clearly (perhaps because of their cartoony characteristics), but I just find the rendition of Seattle to be so dull.

I think that's mainly because you're so overpowered. You can pretty much zoom up the highest buildings right from the start. Getting around is trivialized, everything goes by in a flash. SS is still a great game, but it feels somewhat shortish because of this.

I preferred the deliberate pace of the first game, where you had to restore power in each district first, and even than you had to keep your eyes open for power lines. Felt more satisfying to me.

Semper88

So.. i watched my GF finish the game yesterday and she played along the good side so i can start with the bad side now.

game looks awesome and feels awesome. What i noticed first is that this game runs buttery smooth and i like it!

Didn't notice much bugs tho my GF fell through the floor once @ a Boss fight =)

I'm gonna start de evil route and go straight through the story.

I feel that the smoke vents is the power line of the old game. You can combo it really well to get around.

Neon and the third power makes it moot though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's strange, while the city is so purdy this time around, it feels so unmemorable and lifeless.. I remember the cities in the first two games so clearly (perhaps because of their cartoony characteristics), but I just find the rendition of Seattle to be so dull. Similarly, civilians feels like lifeless bugs rather than actual NPCs like the first two games, maybe because they can be one-shotted and can't really be interacted with as much as 1 & 2 - it'd be nice if ragdolls were included just for that extra sense of interactivity and 'feeling' combat.
I certainly like it more than the cities of the first two games but I've found that much smaller area used in Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes to be far more memorable and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Creating a large area just for the sake of having a huge world is starting to feel pointless. The best games make full use of the world they've created.

Jaroof

Finished the game earlier on my Hero playthrough. Loved it!

Oh, the song that was playing during the credits was pretty dope, too...

Right after I finished my first playthrough, I went right on to start my Evil, Hard mode playthrough. This game is so addictive! I had to force myself to stop playing.

Edit:
The visuals.. my God, the visuals. I haven't been wow'd this much by a game's looks in so long!! Sucker Punch really did a great job.. and their attention to detail in the world is astounding.

ReaperXL7

I feel that the smoke vents is the power line of the old game. You can combo it really well to get around.

Neon and the third power makes it moot though.

I found it alittle strange that they did not give you a continuous travel mode for all of the powers
the mission where your chasing Hank down in the city makes his smoke travel look far more useful, but Delsin can only teleport. Video should have had a sustained flight mode like Neon had for super speed

I found it alittle strange that they did not give you a continuous travel mode for all of the powers
the mission where your chasing Hank down in the city makes his smoke travel look far more useful, but Delsin can only teleport. Video should have had a sustained flight mode like Neon had for super speed

When I seen that I was quite envious. I enjoy the smoke powers a lot that's why.

Lingitiz

It seems like they wanted each powers to have a specific purpose rather than be a point of preference. Smoke is the least useful of the powers but in combat it's the most abundant. When you're in a pinch smoke is the easiest to absorb. Neon is the most useful all around, and excels at long distance and traversal. It's basically the one you'll want to have on hand the most often, but it's harder to find in the middle of combat.
Video
is really useful in the second island because it helps for moving from high rooftop to rooftop. I haven't gotten the last one yet so I can't speak for that.

I don't think the game pushes hard enough in a direction to really force you to use each power for what they're designed for, but that's both a good and bad thing IMO.

KORNdoggy

Replaying the game once is more replay value than most games have. Even then, it's very subjective. I'll probably get a ton of replays out of this, not back to back to back of course. Plus if paper trail ends with a 5th power being unlocked that would be really cool.

And I enjoy the sidequests, they let me play around with the mechanics some more and they're not too involved. It's nice to have an open world gave with a very doable 100% completion. I never even bothered with any side shit in the AC games or GTA because it's all uninteresting time wasters. I don't really find the parkour in AC or the driving in GTA fun at all, so it just feels like a chore for me. At least here I enjoy the core traversal mechanics enough to find liberating the districts worthwhile and satisfying.

i'm hoping paper trail ends with an additional power tbh.
potentially 2, seeing as the girl you're following is paper power, and the victims are being killed by wire power, and on top of that there is strong mention of glass power too in the "dead drops",
if they add those and somehow give the game some extra content to really let you test them out, even if it's just respawning the DUP zones, it'd be awesome. they could add more shards to updgrade the new powers (or make it so you have to choose what to upgrade or what not to upgrade) it seems they're set up to add content on the fly, so i expect this game to be a gift that keeps on giving, which is rare for an open world game imo. if they can keep me coming back ever few weeks to check out something new i'd be even more impressed with the game as i am now.

MaxiLive

I've completed the game and thought it was awesome :D

Quick question, is there any way to change the time of day after the story is complete or does time change naturally? It seems like it is very much scripted but that means I shall never see the night and awesome rain effects again :(

BBboy20

RwZI8B2.jpg
When famousmortimer talked about data from social sites showing that people were more interested in Infamous then Titanfall in one of his Twitch streams when the PS4 was released, was he right on the money?

I think that's mainly because you're so overpowered. You can pretty much zoom up the highest buildings right from the start. Getting around is trivialized, everything goes by in a flash. SS is still a great game, but it feels somewhat shortish because of this.

I preferred the deliberate pace of the first game, where you had to restore power in each district first, and even than you had to keep your eyes open for power lines. Felt more satisfying to me.

Wow, couldn't agree more. The balance of power and sheer scale of player ability is what separated InFAMOUS and Prototype, which obviously isn't upheld to the same standard in SS (not stating that it isn't a great game).

PaulloDEC

Just finished the campaign, and I'm moving on some city-wide cleanup next.

Overall, Second Son was everything I wanted it to be. Story was great, Delsin controls like a dream and Seattle is a hell of a fun playground. The various power-sets give you plenty of options in how you want to play in terms of both traversal and combat. The visuals excel stylistically and technically in spades, and the sound/music/voiceovers are top-notch.

Favourite power: Probably Smoke. I love the way it looks particularly, from the scattershot R2 charge-attack to the way Delsin's chain lights up when he swings it.
The Neon dash is a lot of fun to charge around the town with, but I'm not much of a sniper so the precision attacks weren't terrifically fun for me. Video was pretty great, and I enjoyed the tracer-missiles and the rapid-fire projectile a lot. The visual execution was a bit of a mish-mash, but I can let that go. Finally, I'm already enjoying Concrete a ton. Most importantly, the Ice-Launch is back!

I'll stop rambling now. Massive thanks to Sucker Punch for creating what is now my favourite PS4 game, and possibly one of my favourite console games of all time.

Just finished the campaign, and I'm moving on some city-wide cleanup next.

Overall, Second Son was everything I wanted it to be. Story was great, Delsin controls like a dream and Seattle is a hell of a fun playground. The various power-sets give you plenty of options in how you want to play in terms of both traversal and combat. The visuals excel stylistically and technically in spades, and the sound/music/voiceovers are top-notch.

Favourite power: Probably Smoke. I love the way it looks particularly, from the scattershot R2 charge-attack to the way Delsin's chain lights up when he swings it.
The Neon dash is a lot of fun to charge around the town with, but I'm not much of a sniper so the precision attacks weren't terrifically fun for me. Video was pretty great, and I enjoyed the tracer-missiles and the rapid-fire projectile a lot. The visual execution was a bit of a mish-mash, but I can let that go. Finally, I'm already enjoying Concrete a ton. Most importantly, the Ice-Launch is back!

I'll stop rambling now. Massive thanks to Sucker Punch for creating what is now my favourite PS4 game, and possibly one of my favourite console games of all time.

How are you doing the launch?

broony

How long is this game? I'm just about to complete assasins creed 4 and it has felt a bit too long.

I don't get a lot of time to game and I want something with substance but doesn't feel like a marathon. I'm playing either Infamous or tomb raider next.

Lacix

It's strange, while the city is so purdy this time around, it feels so unmemorable and lifeless.. I remember the cities in the first two games so clearly (perhaps because of their cartoony characteristics), but I just find the rendition of Seattle to be so dull. Similarly, civilians feels like lifeless bugs rather than actual NPCs like the first two games, maybe because they can be one-shotted and can't really be interacted with as much as 1 & 2 - it'd be nice if ragdolls were included just for that extra sense of interactivity and 'feeling' combat.

I think the pedestrians are as dumb as in the previous infamous games.
I think the traffic density is lower compared to the previous infamous games and it is the cause the city could appear lifeless. I think GTA 5 is more times populated as infamous Second Son and therefore it feels more alive.

Civillian AI is probably the most disappointing thing about an otherwise fantastic game. There is absolutely no improvement with them over the previous generation and they do drag down the experience little.

Eggbok

How long is this game? I'm just about to complete assasins creed 4 and it has felt a bit too long.

I don't get a lot of time to game and I want something with substance but doesn't feel like a marathon. I'm playing either Infamous or tomb raider next.

I finished @ about 10 hours or so, no where near as long as AC4.
(Completely agree that it's way too long).

StuBurns

Banned

They're both around the same length, ten hours ish.

Ricky_R

I haven't reached Neon powers yet, but I have pretty much all the smoke power tricks and it has been a blast. While I haven't used Neon yet, what I've seen in videos lead me to think that I'm not sure if I will enjoy it as much as I have been enjoying Smoke powers. I mean... Going through air vents is just so damn fun. It adds a lot of variety and dynamism to the every encounter.

Neon looks amazing though, so I'll judge when I get there.

By the way. It's so damn awesome seeing how fucking amazing this game looks visually and it's very exciting to know that even better looking first party games will release on the PS4. Greatness Awaits indeed.

Nymphae

Banned
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the enemy AI.

Every enemy in the game has 100% perfect aim at all times from any distance. It is incredibly frustrating at times when you get in a little over your head, and are being assaulted from nearly every direction.

There's no good way to get out of fire other than run like a motherfucker until you are way out of the combat zone. At times I'm just trying to let my health refill and I'm running around trying to find something to hide behind where I can't be shot at, and it's nearly impossible. Nothing makes you feel more heroic (or superheroic :p) than having to run a mile away and hide before coming at enemies one by one at angles where they all can't shoot you at once.

Compounding the frustration is the fact that as you get closer to death, they strip all of the audio, except for an annoying musical tone that intensifies as you get closer to dying. It pulls me right he fuck out of the game and I find it very very frustrating and annoying when I'm being assaulted from every direction.

I love this game a lot, more than any other InFamous, but this stuff was really bugging me last night. I kept saying to myself, who the fuck play tested this shit?

Lacix

I think the pedestrians are as dumb as in the previous infamous games.
I think the traffic density is lower compared to the previous infamous games and it is the cause the city could appear lifeless. I think GTA 5 is more times populated as infamous Second Son and therefore it feels more alive.

Sometimes it really looks like a city after an ebola outbreak.

2477569-infamous_secondson_nospoil-5.png

compared to the also not GTA level previous inFamous 2
Infamous-2-Review-009.jpg

infamous-2-imagen-i280190-i.jpg

Gorgeous game! Just got into Seattle and haven't really started the missions yet, having a lot of fun just getting the hang on the mechanics and traversal. This is the first full size retail game I've downloaded and I'm wondering if there's anyway to see the status of the background download in the OS? Just showed the first 5 gb in the download list but I'd like to know if the full game is downloaded before I turn off.

KORNdoggy

Sometimes it really looks like a city after an ebola outbreak.

2477569-infamous_secondson_nospoil-5.png

compared to the also not GTA level previous inFamous 2
Infamous-2-Review-009.jpg

infamous-2-imagen-i280190-i.jpg

i've seen second son ram packed with life. cars, pedestrians...it's just their spawn rate seems inconsistent. you can be on a street full of people, then turn a corner and see only 3 or 4. i mean, reality is not all streets are as ram packed as each other. but it's always been an issue in open world games. even the mighty GTA has frequent moments where the entire length of road is empty. and then you can turn a corner and have a street absolutely full of the exact same car (usually a crappy one, just to punish you..lol). i hope the open world genre rectifies these things tbh. but i feel it's less of a issue in infamous since you're rarely ever on street level, i'd still like a more packed city though.

PaulloDEC

How are you doing the launch?

I'll apologise in advance if my wording was misleading there;
there's a close approximation of the Ice Launch in the Concrete power set. Hit L1 to launch.

I really don't know what was a big spoiler in this screen-shot. It is the main mission in the game to get this power to heal your tribe.

People who've not finished the game aren't going to know if Delsin succeeds in saving the tribe though, are they?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
People who complain about crowd density in inFamous saying that it's not like in GTA miss the point by a mile. In every game the city is under an occupation or a quarantine. Characters reference the fact that people are scared to show up outside. Gangsters with guns that shoot on sight are everywhere in the first two games. It makes sense there aren't that many people around, especially so in the first game.

Rainy Dog

Keeping away from this thread until I've finished my first playthrough but just popped in to ask if the game has any missable trophies that can only only be got at specific parts of the game?

I've set out to do a story focused playthough on Good/Normal, followed by a Evil/Hard run and then finishing with a trophy sweep back down on Normal for the platinum.

No spoilers if possible please!

Top Bottom