• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Hoodbury

I was doing that for quite a bit, until I learned to dash away and come at them individually, which doesn't feel that badass really. Run, take one guy out, run again, drain smoke/neon while I'm being attacked so I won't die, rinse repeat till everyone is dead. A lot of times I'd be trying to take out like 3 standard infantry dudes with melee, and would get shot to death before I could take them out (doesn't help there is no lock on and the melee swing seems to have a mind of it's own, several times it's sent my attacks to a civilian instead of the bad guy I was aiming for.)

I get this, I need to vary it up a bit for sure, but it still does feel like you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly even very early on.

I had that problem as well, then I learned to spam L1.

Twinduct

Holy crap...so I just tried remote play.

Best controls ever?

Not sure how to toggle it, maybe it kicks in after a few seconds, but the front touch screen layout for the "touchpad" and also the lower corners for L2 and R2 works perfectly.

As an aside... Im on Telecom 4G here in nz, just wanted to test to see how it looked... Umm.....perfect? Kinda shocked... I mean rock solid and perfect picture, hardly any lag...

Might be the fact its 4am here right now tho lol.

Going to try this from the office tomorrow....

Hyperbole aside, it is awesome.
Been playing my Evil play through almost exclusively via Remote Play.

Something pretty magical about being able to turn off the TV and turn on my Vita in my bedroom and just play the same game.

btkadams

is expert frustrating? i played through the game on normal and probably died about 6 times. the
two augustine boss battles and the video power boss over the lava
were probably the biggest moments of frustration for me, but i got past them fairly quickly.

Not very far in. I am a do as many side missions as I can before running through the story person to kinda get a layout of the city.
The drug dealers are really easy to take out, but it is weird that so many are near DUP areas.
The first time I shot out of a vent, dashed forward to ground pound a group of guys then dashed forward to melee a guy felt so good. SO DAMN GOOD. I haven't even hit my second power yet and I'm already in love.

Neofx

is expert frustrating? i played through the game on normal and probably died about 6 times. the
two augustine boss battles and the video power boss over the lava
were probably the biggest moments of frustration for me, but i got past them fairly quickly.

Nah, didn't feel that much harder for me, and I normally never play games on higher difficulties. But be careful, I didnt get credit, even though I changed right at the start.

Vitor711

There were so many missed opportunities in this game. Billboard spoilers
The banter between Delsin and the D.U.P dispatcher were awesome but there was no pay off
. Audio log spoilers
I haven't finished the game but I just did the last one and, again, no pay off.
Such a waste to me.

I actually played through ALL of the billboard stuff yesterday, having started not a single one, purely because of the dialogue. It was funny and I wanted to see where it ended but there was no pay-off at all. Really disappointing.

Also, it was weird doing them in reverse order as, once I made my way back to the original half of the map, it was ridiculously trivial to take out a single chopper/apc when you're at nearly max level with three powers.

The response units should have scaled up with your level I feel for those.

Begaria

I got to play a bit of Second Son at a friend's house a couple of nights ago.

Infinite Neon Sprint is SO. FUCKING. FUN.

FeD.nL

Haven't had this much fun with a game in quite some time but I do think it is by far the worst entry in the series story wise. The karma system should have been ditched or the story had to be different. At the moment the karma system is just there because there is inFamous on the cover.

I actually played through ALL of the billboard stuff yesterday, having started not a single one, purely because of the dialogue. It was funny and I wanted to see where it ended but there was no pay-off at all. Really disappointing.
Should have ended with you getting a date with the operator.

Voidance

The banter between Delsin and the D.U.P dispatcher were awesome but there was no pay off
. Audio log spoilers
Such a waste to me.
This is REALLY disappointing to me.

AstroN

Banned
Exactly how I feel. And it doesn't change at all during the game it just gets worse,with more frustrating enemy types.

And if you hate this in regular combat wait till the boss fights. Nothing says super hero than firing a few shots, then cowering in the corner for a 10 seconds while you recharge health and power.

This sums up exactly how I feel as well. I get that your supposed to flee from combat when you get low on health but having to flee the entire area is ridiculous. Since there is no real cover system its required to flee literally down the street, wait out health regen, and then go back to the area saying 'Hey villians me again". And you definitely don't feel superheroic doing so. In fact your character is extremely fragile and can't take many hits so you'll find yourself fleeing quite abit.

Add to no targeting and shooters from all directions you end up with a pretty mediocre combat system. Of course the game looks amazing and the voice acting is top notch. But there are serious issues here.

Acorn

I love that when you platinum the game,
Delsin says something along the lines of "Alright, it's been real but stop playing dude." lol
He said
something along the lines of "we still have work to do"
to me on my expert run after getting the plat. Dunno if it's because I didn't 100% on expert or maybe I misheard.

Acorn

I actually liked Secret Agent the most. I didn't mind the side stuff but I just hated having to do it over and over again. As "open" as this world is, you're only doing a handful of things overall. I just wish there were more side "quests" instead of side "distractions". I didn't love Arkham City but I liked how the side quests felt like their own little stories sometimes and had some payoff. It's kind of crazy how no one thought this stuff would get tedious as shit after the first island. We should be pass this sort of thing by now.

. Audio log spoilers
Such a waste to me.
Yep, someone said earlier they feel like it was rushed due to the lack of proper side story stuff. I feel like that's a likely scenario given all the teases they throw out.

Artex

Banned
This sums up exactly how I feel as well. I get that your supposed to flee from combat when you get low on health but having to flee the entire area is ridiculous. Since there is no real cover system its required to flee literally down the street, wait out health regen, and then go back to the area saying 'Hey villians me again". And you definitely don't feel superheroic doing so. In fact your character is extremely fragile and can't take many hits so you'll find yourself fleeing quite abit.

Add to no targeting and shooters from all directions you end up with a pretty mediocre combat system. Of course the game looks amazing and the voice acting is top notch. But there are serious issues here.

I played like that early on, but then I warmed up to different tactics. For one, use your mini map to see where enemies are and plan accordingly. I would usually scout out an area, and plan my approach. I really only fled if I needed more juice. Had a great time dashing to enemies and meleeing, dashing in another direction and wrapping up an enemy, zipping up a nearby wall and comet dropping, etc. I think the hindrance in the combat from your perspective is only in the way you personally (and many others) will naturally approach it due to your past experiences with video games.

Donos

This game really needs a horde mode or at least the UGC mission editor back so you can wreck your way through 100 enemies with all you powers. I understand that they had to release the game asap but maybe they have time now for meatier dlc.

.GqueB.

Banned
This is REALLY disappointing to me.

Last audio log spoilers (assuming they're in order):
The last one was cool in that you get to hear why Augustine fears you so much. You also hear about the other powers which was cool. But I AT LEAST wanted to meet the guy... or SOMEthing. It was really annoying.

-Amon-

I'm at 40 % and i'm quite liking it.

Cons:

bad animations while climbing objects. Considering that most ov the movement is made using powers this is not that important, but remains a bad thing to see.

Not great variation in missions, limited interaction with the surroundings when compared with past infamous games ( can't throw objects around )

Pros: consider as pros anything that i did not label as cons, as i am really enjoying second son.

Well just platted the game, my first PS4 platinum.

However like many people said before, I feel that it has a lot of missed opportunities.
Like in a conversation Reggie said he's not going to help delsin anymore and wants to return to a normal life for a while. Then the next mission, he just appears to help you again.

And also the part where Fetch/Eugene falls into the ocean in a giant concrete rock, I can't help but feel that a rescue mission for both of them would pad the game out a little and give us more time with them.

I think it's a 8/10 game through and through, does some things extremely well, lacking in other parts but the game itself is still amazingly fun to play.

murgo

Just finished the game. Now I'm sad :( The story could go on forever and I'd never get tired of playing. Well... now the second playthrough as an evil bastard can begin.

.GqueB.

Banned
Well just platted the game, my first PS4 platinum.

However like many people said before, I feel that it has a lot of missed opportunities.
Like in a conversation Reggie said he's not going to help delsin anymore and wants to return to a normal life for a while. Then the next mission, he just appears to help you again.

Yea that part struck me as odd too. There was no separation other than the black out. It was too quick and had zero impact.

Moaradin

iyrqLhPW1S3ng.jpg
lol I somehow managed to get myself stuck trying to get this tracker drone. How do I get out of this?

ChrisW

Alot of people saying they don't like the secret agent missions, I love them it's like taking part in a marvel movie, one super hero chasing another, jumping across rooftops and and past the DUP with the intense music.

Just make sure you equip Neon with unlimited run and then your set!

Finished the game yesterday. I'd give it a 8/10. I think its a lot better than Infamous 2 (combat, traversal, cohesion, easier controls, better characters) in some ways and in other ways its worse (enemy variety, storyline, side missions). It is frustrating because infamous is my favorite series from last gen and I keep on thinking Sucker Punch is finally gonna get it right and I feel the continuously miss the mark a bit.

Infamous 1 had

actual platforming
good story
repetitive combat
decent bosses that made you use your powers

Infamous 2 had

a worse story
better location
better combat variety
improved NPC interactivity
better side missions
terrible bosses
NO PLATFORMING (WTF)

Infamous 3 has
worse story
better characters
better powers with worse combat variety in some ways
better traversal
worst side missions of the series
decent bosses
shorter game
no enemy variety

All they need to do for the 4th one is, give us super villains and enemies with varied super powers and for fuck sakes, BRING BACK PLATFORMING. They introduced it in the final mission but that was about it. They also need to improve on the side missions and give us more NPC interaction like the 2nd game.

IvorB

Nah combat is pretty ace. I wish I could fight the whole damn city. Not every super hero is Superman. It's fine to also have limitations. It would be boring otherwise.

Also there is a targeting reticle so...

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm at the part where Delsin
storms the concrete.. thing with Hank
and I realised that this game is incredibly boring. Every encounter is the same where you just get thrown in a situation with 50 enemies with pin-point accuracy, the enemies are super annoying, Delsin is extremely weak. The city is completely lifeless and lacks any form of dynamic, the lack of proper day/night cycle extremely missed. Platforming is tedious and the by-the-numbers side stuff is not much fun and often completely useless with drug dealers respawning as soon as you walk around the corner [aside from the graffiti tagging, I guess. That is a genius idea].

I don't know, I'm kind of surprised of how little I'm enjoying myself.

grumble

Finished the game yesterday. I'd give it a 8/10. I think its a lot better than Infamous 2 (combat, traversal, cohesion, easier controls, better characters) in some ways and in other ways its worse (enemy variety, storyline, side missions). It is frustrating because infamous is my favorite series from last gen and I keep on thinking Sucker Punch is finally gonna get it right and I feel the continuously miss the mark a bit.

Infamous 1 had

actual platforming
good story
repetitive combat
decent bosses that made you use your powers

Infamous 2 had

a worse story
better location
better combat variety
improved NPC interactivity
better side missions
terrible bosses
NO PLATFORMING (WTF)

Infamous 3 has
worse story
better characters
better powers with worse combat variety in some ways
better traversal
worst side missions of the series
decent bosses
shorter game
no enemy variety

All they need to do for the 4th one is, give us super villains and enemies with varied super powers and for fuck sakes, BRING BACK PLATFORMING. They introduced it in the final mission but that was about it. They also need to improve on the side missions and give us more NPC interaction like the 2nd game.

From what I can tell though even taking the strengths of all three games wouldn't make it a 9.0 game. They'd need to dramatically spike npc interactivity way above any of these three games, and work hard on emergent content like the gta series has. With a new generation the audience expects games held to a higher standard, which means that their current level of gameplay, storytelling and interactive world building won't cut it. With three decent but unexceptional titles under their belt now I'm beginning to wonder if they have it in them.

btkadams

i can't figure out how people think this game has a worse story than the previous games. i played through infamous 2 less than a year ago and the story was nowhere near this good.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
i can't figure out how people think this game has a worse story than the previous games. i played through infamous 2 less than a year ago and the story was nowhere near this good.

Yeah, the story and performance capture are top-notch. Even the supporting cast.

BashNasty

I was a huge fan of the first two InFamous games, but Second Son has left me cold so far. This is primarily due to three things:

Less interesting traversal mechanics. In the first two games, moving around the cities was a joy due mostly to how fun it was to grind on power lines. Combining the grinding with the hover ability had me zipping around the city looking for new lines to take while seeing how much distance I could cover hovering from power line to power line. Essentially, in the first two games, the environment was a key factor in traversal, which kept it very interesting. Conversly, in Second Son, the traversal powers become so effective as to render the beautiful environment moot. Smoke causes you to look for vents, sure, but dispersing up a vent is far less interesting in my opinion than grinding a power line high above the city. Once you get the neon traversal, the enviormnet in rendered even more pointless, as you can just zip up the side of any building you want. Sure, this is very effective, looks really neat, and is a lot of fun the first couple times you do it, but eventually it causes you to regard every section of the city exactly the same. Want to get to the top of a building? Just zip right up it, no thought necessary. To me, this becomes boring quick, and trivializes the otherwise very impressive Seattle environment.

Poor power progression. Like the less interesting traversal, this one hits me hard. My favorite part of the previous games was the sublime progression of interesting, game-changing skills. Getting a high jump or ability to hover longer vastly changed how I could get around the environment, and I wanted to keep playing to see what I got next. In Second Son, despite having several different power sets available, you unlock the majority of their mechanics immediately after acquiring them. There are still upgrades to be bought, of course, but they tend to be modifications of the core powers available in the set rather than fully new ideas. Unlimited neon dash is cool, no doubt, but it's not exceptionally more interesting than simply mashing the neon dash button in succession. Honestly, I feel like my disappointment with the traversal mechanics is a big factor in my liking the skill progressing less, as I just find all the skills less inherently interesting as a result.

Frustrating, boring combat. Quite simply, I feel you take damage too quickly in Second Son. Rather than feeling like an overpowered super hero, I feel like a fragile assassin, needing to stick to the rooftops and shadows while slowly picking off my enemies. The cycle of beginning combat, getting shot from all angles, then dashing off to hide around a corner until healing enough to reengage gets old quickly. Add on top of this a number of enemies who have the ability to repeatedly stun-lock you, and the combat becomes not only tedious, but frustrating. I would love to be able to rush into combat, melee, jump around and blow everything up while cackling like a badass, but if I try my I find myself stunned with a grey screen. I recall the combat in the first two games having a somewhat similar cadence, but for whatever reason, I found it more tolerable and more fun in those games, probably because I enjoyed the way my skills built up far more.

I honestly thought I was going to love Second Son. I wanted to love Second Son. Up till this point I was a huge fan of the InFamous games, but despite the amazing graphics (and they really are amazing) on this first PS4 outing, the gameplay left me cold.

Pop

I'm at the part where Delsin
storms the concrete.. thing with Hank
and I realised that this game is incredibly boring. Every encounter is the same where you just get thrown in a situation with 50 enemies with pin-point accuracy, the enemies are super annoying, Delsin is extremely weak. The city is completely lifeless and lacks any form of dynamic, the lack of proper day/night cycle extremely missed. Platforming is tedious and the by-the-numbers side stuff is not much fun and often completely useless with drug dealers respawning as soon as you walk around the corner [aside from the graffiti tagging, I guess. That is a genius idea].

I don't know, I'm kind of surprised of how little I'm enjoying myself.

That's what dash is for. You can't just stand still.

Lingitiz

I think Infamous 1 had some really interesting aspects to its story, but the storytelling and characters were quite bad. The character models were hilariously awful.

From what I can tell though even taking the strengths of all three games wouldn't make it a 9.0 game. They'd need to dramatically spike npc interactivity way above any of these three games, and work hard on emergent content like the gta series has. With a new generation the audience expects games held to a higher standard, which means that their current level of gameplay, storytelling and interactive world building won't cut it. With three decent but unexceptional titles under their belt now I'm beginning to wonder if they have it in them.

I really dislike this notion of the post-GTA5 game needing to be bigger and better in scope. I enjoy the more focused and less superfluous open world of the Infamous games. They focus on a few strong core mechanics and make getting around the world really fun. I would argue that GTA5's open world meant very little when I hated getting around it, and spent most of my time fast traveling and going from mission to mission. I'm pretty over the whole open world chaos factor since after Saints Row 3 and Just Cause 2 went wild in that direction.

Having played pretty much every open world game released in the last few years, I find myself mostly bored with the shear amount of things that they offer, most of which are built around fairly weak gameplay mechanics (GTA's awful shooting, Saints Row's emphasis on activities as missions and lack of challenge). That's probably why I liked Sleeping Dogs so much. It scaled things back and had a few strong core mechanics within the hand to hand combat and driving, and kept it varied without relying on shootouts until the latter half of the game.

Then there's this idea that there needs to be a full city simulation with NPC's that have sleep cycles and what not. Some of that shit I could honestly care less about. Is it impressive? Sure. But overall it means very little in terms of actual gameplay.

And all 3 Infamous games are far better than decent. Nobody has nailed the superhero game as well as they have, and we probably won't be seeing too many of these now that Saints Row already went there, Crackdown has been gone for a while, and Prototype is dead.

I see a lot of complaints abut having to wait out the health regen; are you guys playing Evil? There's an upgrade on the Good side that gives you health back when you subdue enemies, so even on Expert you can stay up close with dudes as long as you're being a badass and playing skilfully. I've just started my Evil run, and it seems like the equivalent ability gives you power juice for executions, which is far less useful. I suppose the balance is that you can be firing missiles all the time as Evil, but it doesn't sound like it really works out. My first playthrough was Good on Expert, and I found the combat utterly sublime.

deadlast

I've never played an infamous game. I'm getting this one because it looks and sounds fantastic. But should I go digital or go retail?

DukeBobby

I just got the third power.

I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest, especially after all the hype in this thread. Traversal is nowhere near as fun as Neon with unlimited dash.

It looks cool, but I think I'll stick with Neon.

Pop

I just got the third power.

I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest, especially after all the hype in this thread. Traversal is nowhere near as fun as Neon with unlimited dash.

It looks cool, but I think I'll stick with Neon.

Man, I keep reading this. You have got to upgrade all your powers fully. The third power is way more traversal than Neon.

So I just completed Part 1 of Paper Trails and I want more.
It opens you up to further exposure to other conduits
. Gotta wait for that Part 2 to drop. I like that Sucker Punch has events like Paper Trails planned out for content over time.

Lingitiz

Man, I keep reading this. You have got to upgrade all your powers fully. The third power is way more traversal than Neon.

So I just completed Part 1 of Paper Trails and I want more.
It opens you up to further exposure to other conduits
. Gotta wait for that Part 2 to drop. I like that Sucker Punch has events like Paper Trails planned out for content over time.

The third power is meant for maneuvering from skyscraper to skyscraper in the 2nd island, hence the little antennas.

Top Bottom