• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Guys, i seriously need some help with Paper Trail....and i feel dumb for it.
So i did the first mission and logged on the website again. Got all the evidence i need

So i go to the Brunberg Detective Site, click on "Forgot Pasword" and get three security questions:

Name of your oldest Daughter: Jaylene
Name of your favourite Fat Food Restaurant:Fiesta Cauldron (also tried Meaty Martha's Fiesta Cauldron)
Name of your Cat: Boots

that's exactly what i've typed in and i only get the login error page... what am i doing wrong here? It's driving nuts since yesterday!!
Questions are different for everyone and the answers depend on whats in the wallet, sorry. I didn't have any problems with that part. =\

m@cross

I am getting close to finishing it I think, though I am doing all side activities as I go, so hard to really gauge right now. The first day I played this I was kind of meh with it, maybe a 6 out of 10, looked nice, but meh...

After you start progressing powers and get the 2nd and third though, it starts to get a lot more fun to play in general. On top of that I am really impressed with the story and dialogue. It rehashes some tired ideas of course, but it is fresh enough to not be overkill. Graphics are silly good as everyone says, and the faces are top notch as well. Voice acting is really well done and the characters have solid personalities.

I will admit the world itself, while gorgeous, detailed, and diverse, is strikingly devoid of ambient noise that is accurate for the environment.

While I still have a little more to go, I feel safe saying this game is a very solid 8. What it lacks to get it 1 or 2 more points is variation in side activities, better environmental audio, greater variety in enemies, better use of the incredible world they built etc. A 10 I am not sure, but those could get it to a 9.

daman824

Yeah I definitely would give this game about a 6-7. It's good, But there are just too many things holding it back from being great. Combat and traversal is where the game truly shines. But a lot of things outside of that (including the world in general) feel half baked.

Problems range from small but still annoying issues (delsin can keep himself afloat in water and swim but the player can't control it?), to larger issues like the side missions. I hate to draw comparisons to other games but the world overall feels more in line with an assassins creed open world (generic npcs, repetitive side missions, and just overall lifelessness) as opposed to gta5 where everything interacted perfectly. This game doesn't even have a natural day/night cycle.

The boss battles are also a huge repetitive pain in the ass. Not because they are difficult, but because the thing you are fighting only has one or two generic attacks but a ton of health. You're stuck dodging the same attack over and over again just to get 1-3 shots in before the cycle repeats.

I think a lot of this is caused by the fact that the game was only made by 75 people, but a lot of the issues keep rearing their ugly heads over and over again to the point where I can't ignore them.

Also, despite the combat being great, there is an abaolute ton of missed potential. Giving the player multiple powers but not allowing them to switch powers on the fly is a facepalm inducing omission. Especially when it would blow the doors open to all kinds of different combat and traversal combinations.

vypek

If they just had some thing equilvalent to GTA's piss off the cops, get five stars, and try to escape, that'd make the world a lot more fun to play in

Maybe but depending on what power you're using, it is ridiculously easy to get away. Thats part of the strategy anyways. Dashing out of there when things get too bad but as a side mission maybe it would work better.

leng jai

Definitely a 7.5ish game for me after finishing it. It could have easily been a 9 with some half decent set pieces and more variety in the open world aspect. The game is just too samey the whole way through I'm afraid. Even the powers are lacking in creativity.

I'm assuming everyone who's giving it 6-7s are making full use of the scale and not the IGN scale of 6-10? I could understand if you were using the full scale and not the limited scale of last gen.

Maybe but depending on what power you're using, it is ridiculously easy to get away. Thats part of the strategy anyways. Dashing out of there when things get too bad but as a side mission maybe it would work better.

Yeah, it'd be really weird to work in to this game, especially with the way the DUP is and the AI behaves. Maybe if they spawn a bunch of choppers on you with a lot of those launchers enemies, and really made them really persue you.

Hoodbury

yeah. i've allread tried that too. still gives me the error page. am i typing something wrong?

edit:

whaaa... really?! dammm.... !

Second one is what that guy posted, not the full name like you have. I had the same first and second question as you as well so the third question about the cat must be the one you are wrong with.

So I'd make sure you have
Jaylene
Meaty Martha's
And then make sure your third one is correct.

Yeah I definitely would give this game about a 6-7. It's good, But there are just too many things holding it back from being great. Combat and traversal is where the game truly shines. But a lot of things outside of that (including the world in general) feel half baked.

Problems range from small but still annoying issues (delsin can keep himself afloat in water and swim but the player can't control it?), to larger issues like the side missions. I hate to draw comparisons to other games but the world overall feels more in line with an assassins creed open world (generic npcs, repetitive side missions, and just overall lifelessness) as opposed to gta5 where everything interacted perfectly. This game doesn't even have a natural day/night cycle.

The boss battles are also a huge repetitive pain in the ass. Not because they are difficult, but because the thing you are fighting only has one or two generic attacks but a ton of health. You're stuck dodging the same attack over and over again just to get 1-3 shots in before the cycle repeats.

I think a lot of this is caused by the fact that the game was only made by 75 people, but a lot of the issues keep rearing their ugly heads over and over again to the point where I can't ignore them.

Also, despite the combat being great, there is an abaolute ton of missed potential. Giving the player multiple powers but not allowing them to switch powers on the fly is a facepalm inducing omission. Especially when it would blow the doors open to all kinds of different combat and traversal combinations.
I agree with the majority of what you said but I disagree that the world feels lifeless, if you're playing 'good' then you have to be constantly aware of the people around you. When they're running around in blind panic it really changes up the game (especially as the DUP don't give a shit).

Also the day/night cycle is so that every time could be fine-tuned to look perfect, they said if it was on a cycle then the game wouldn't look as nice overall or rather would look amazing a small percentage of the time.

Also I like that you can't switch on the fly, I think it adds a lot to the game that you can't.

Second one is what that guy posted, not the full name like you have. I had the same first and second question as you as well so the third question about the cat must be the one you are wrong with.

Jaylene
Meaty Martha's
Jaylene? What's that the answer to? The answers are:

Favourite family member: Morty
Favourite place to eat: Meaty Martha's
Favourite costume: Polar Bear

NeoRausch

Jaylene
Meaty Martha's
alright gonna try that. thanks a bunch guys!

Jaylene? What's that the answer to? The answers are:

Favourite family member: Morty
Favourite place to eat: Meaty Martha's
Favourite costume: Polar Bear
oldest daughter was my question one.

char0n

Oh wow, kind of shocked you could do it that way. Would have made sense but since there's no way to replay story missions it may have been a pain for a lot of players.
It actually wasn't too hard when you take everything into account: It was on my first playthrough on Normal, I had been picking up lots of shards/doing good karma actions whenever I came across them, prioritized putting upgrades into ability capacity and lowering the costs of the basic attacks, and had upgraded to 4 missiles at that point. Plus it took a lot of times specifically going for it.
After that it was just being REALLY patient (which is why it took me a bunch of times), you basically have to hide until he has an opening on his body (usually when he's lifting the two big rocks to just toss at you), then hit him with the missile, and when you run out of those, do the same thing but just rapid-fire on him. After all that I was hoping I'd get at least a dialog change in the following cutscene
missable trophy? no thanks!
I don't know, I've seen plenty of games with trophies for "beat this boss/level without taking damage/only using this weapon" that seem pretty similar. Those games usually do have a level select though so it's not a pain if you did miss it on a playthrough. If you knew about it though it's easy to make sure you don't miss it,
there's no smoke rechargers, so basically you don't touch the touchpad and you'll either not make it and have to retry or eventually get it.

I think my biggest problem with the game is the lack of meaningful choices. In infamous 2, it seemed like those choices were around every corner, and the ending one was just icing on the cake. The powers are great but I was a little bummed about how many there were, and they all kind of felt the same to me.

I wish it was something like you had a complete arsenal of powers that you could change on the fly.

fallingdove

I am loving this game. The powers are much more interesting than those in the first two games. What I also find interesting is that the chase missions aren't bothering me as much as they do in AssCreed. Maybe be cause they are more lenient? I don't know.

I hope that this game does well at retail. It deserves it.

R&D

Banned
I knew the biggest problem of this game was going to be variety. A lot of open-world games fall into this trap. The designers can't seem to think of varied ways of using the mechanics (I know it's hard).

Lingitiz

I knew the biggest problem of this game was going to be variety. A lot of open-world games fall into this trap. The designers can't semm to think of varied ways of using the mechanics (I know it's hard).

The good thing is the game is pretty short and doesn't overstay it's welcome IMO. I think it's more varied than previous inFamous games at least. But yes, they could have done with far more enemy variety. Fighting concrete dudes got tiresome towards the end, but switching between the three powers kept it fresh enough for me.

ChrisW

So the game just let me start part 2 of the paper trail.... anyone else had this?

EDIT: Only in-game, won't let me do anything with my collected clues online :(

Lacix

4rG1zac.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that it should be a little bit bluer in the distance.

Hey GAF, how soon do I have to switch it to Expert for it to count? I forgot and didn't end up switching until I go to fight Hank for the first time. Should I restart?

i-Lo

So, I will be playing the game soon. As a individual who thoroughly enjoyed both inF1 and 2, would it be idea to start off the game on "Hard" difficulty mode (is it enjoyable) and whether it provides and additional trophy as recompense for potentially beating me down?

Hoodbury

Hey GAF, how soon do I have to switch it to Expert for it to count? I forgot and didn't end up switching until I go to fight Hank for the first time. Should I restart?

I don't know if this is true or not but I read on GFAQs that if when you look at the save or load screen the file will tell you what level it counts as.

Zephyrus

Banned
Just finished first playthrough. It's an 8/10 for sure. NOT below it but not above it either.

The powers were well desgined and most are really fun.

Neon and
video
are by far the funnest.

Concrete
felt like the most boring. Shame that it doesn't have any new moves depending whether you're good or bad.

About the gameplay. VERY well done. It's amazing and by far the best inFamous game.

About the diversication of what you do in the game... well it could be much better. For starters if you cause mayhem in the city, you should get more and more DUP searching and fighting you. Kind of like GTA cops. Also more mission types. Some races with different powers, chasing someone stealthly and more.

Graphics... best available so far on consoles. You disagree? Go get your eyes checked.

This was basically a launch game. It was supposed to be one and I'm pretty sure it only got pushed to march because Sony had nothing available for the PS4 until then. Still it's an amazing show of what we can expect.

Delsin was great. Much better than Cole and basically my kind of character. Smartass, cocky and brave.

I can't wait for what SP will think of next. Making Delsin a conduit sponge was a great decision. He isn't limited to electricity like Cole was.

I will miss some powers if they don't come back though. Especially Neon. So beautiful.

PaulloDEC

I 100% the game on Good yesterday. But I never saw anything for the Coles Legacy DLC and my bonus vests from the codes I got for preordering and the Collectors Edition.

People here told me the reason they weren't downloading was because they were licenses and not downloads and the PSN store was showing them as downloads. But nothing happened? I don't have any ! for the Cole stuff and the bonus vests never showed up in the area to choose your best style.

What gives?

Can anyone advise on this scenario? I've almost finished tidying up the town post-campaign (good ending) but the map marker for Coles Legacy hasn't ever shown up.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Mannnn

Just finished it. Realllly disappointing. I give it a 6-7. Closest comparison I can make is the first Assassin's Creed. Amazing, beautiful world. Pretty decent traversal mechanics and fun powers.

But the game never gets out of second gear. Kept waiting to fight more different types of enemies/really engage with cool missions/setpieces. It was all the same, go to area X clear out the dudes, move on. Even the picture taking was meh. Boss fights were the most egregious, especially the last one.

Also- lets call a spade a spade and be real here: there are only
powers. The last one can be used after, but its not fully realized, and you can't use it through normal missions.

Its a good game, but it leaves so much to be desired. Really reminds you that its the start of a generation, and SP is a small team. Could have been so much more, but ended up feeling like a really superficial experience dotted with moments of awesome. Even the story starts out strong, then really just devolves into fluff.

I agree completely.

To be safe, yes. Some people are saying that you need to switch it before ever moving. To be safe, turn it to Expert now, then start a new game, so it starts on Expert.

So, I will be playing the game soon. As a individual who thoroughly enjoyed both inF1 and 2, would it be idea to start off the game on "Hard" difficulty mode (is it enjoyable) and whether it provides and additional trophy as recompense for potentially beating me down?
Definitely start on Expert. You already know what to expect gameplay-wise, as a veteran to the series, and it provides a decent challenge and forces you to make full use of your arsenal. I wish I had started on Expert my first time through.

hydruxo

Just got 100% on my Evil playthrough. Enjoyed it alot but I got tired of the side missions very quickly.

I hope SP patches in an option to set the time of day after you've beaten the game, because I'd like to play during night time for longer than just those few main missions.

Mannnn

Just finished it. Realllly disappointing. I give it a 6-7. Closest comparison I can make is the first Assassin's Creed. Amazing, beautiful world. Pretty decent traversal mechanics and fun powers.

But the game never gets out of second gear. Kept waiting to fight more different types of enemies/really engage with cool missions/setpieces. It was all the same, go to area X clear out the dudes, move on. Even the picture taking was meh. Boss fights were the most egregious, especially the last one.

Also- lets call a spade a spade and be real here: there are only
powers. The last one can be used after, but its not fully realized, and you can't use it through normal missions.

Its a good game, but it leaves so much to be desired. Really reminds you that its the start of a generation, and SP is a small team. Could have been so much more, but ended up feeling like a really superficial experience dotted with moments of awesome. Even the story starts out strong, then really just devolves into fluff.

This seems fair to me, though I'd rate it higher than that - so far (just got neon). I actually love all descrete parts of it so far; visually (obviously), the mechanics and controls are really solid for me, fighting and traversal is a lot of fun combined, the atmosphere and narrative (so far) is definitely good enough.

So as a baseline game it's super solid and all the parts are there - it would make an incredible experience if they could turn up the variation in mission structure and just make a lot of crazy/unexpected shit happen. I'm only about 30% in so far so I don't know for sure how it plays out from here or how I'll feel after finishing it, but I'd probably rate it a strong 8 at this point since i*m having so much fun with it. But man, with some tweaks this would be amazing.

So I checked my save data. It says "Catching Smoke(Thug, Expert)-12%"

Does this mean I'm okay? I tried switching the difficulty on my other save but it just reads Light(True Hero).

I really don't want to start over

AGoodODST

Just finished my good 100% playtrough. Really enjoyed the game, though clearing the districts got a bit repetitive after a while. The third power is definitely my favourite, so much fun. Thought the final act was great.

vypek

So I checked my save data. It says "Catching Smoke(Thug, Expert)-12%"

Does this mean I'm okay? I tried switching the difficulty on my other save but it just reads Light(True Hero).

I really don't want to start over

Has it been on expert since you got control of Delsin? You didn't change it after you moved him? If it was on expert before moving, you should be fine

ChrisW

Holy shit, only just realised as I'm typing this post that you can navigate the menu system using the touch panel. Never even noticed until just messing with the remote now

Can anyone advise on this scenario? I've almost finished tidying up the town post-campaign (good ending) but the map marker for Coles Legacy hasn't ever shown up.

I called Sony support and they had no suggestions. They said to open a support thread on their website which I already did to no help. Many people with the same issues.

Really annoyed.

Started playing the game today. Played like 3 hours so far. Games plays and looks amazing. I already have 21%, but I have just played in 2 districts so far. I love that I don't feel underwhelmed by how big the map is and by the amount of items that you can collect. It is a complete opposite from AC: Black Flagwere were I've played like 40 hrs. and I only have 35%, and decided to just give up on the game.

Top Bottom