• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Levyne

Banned
I was just planning on doing the collection /normal on good karma, and then expert/evil karma. Seemed like a common plan early on for people

hydruxo

Keep in mind you are playing the game twice for the platinum anyway unless you are doing some extreme save scumming.

Yeah I already beat the game & got 100% on an evil playthrough on normal (I know, should've gone good first but I couldn't resist haha).

Sorian

Banned
I'm pretty happy with the third power. Hopefully I never have to use the second power ever again. Because I hate it. So much.

You hate the second power? You must have been playing on evil.

Yeah I already beat the game & got 100% on an evil playthrough on normal (I know, should've gone good first but I couldn't resist haha).

Ah, no sympathy then :p This game is weird and difficulty spans across your saves. Go into your evil file, change the difficulty to extreme and then start a new game, the new game will have started on that difficulty setting, just to be extra sure.

Yeah, I'm playing Evil. Smoke is probably my favorite for killing.
Video
is great for traversal so far. Neon, I just can't get into. I don't like the way it controls and I can get around the town quicker with the third

Edit: Playing this right now on my Vita, and god this is great. This game is great for remote play

kgrock618

For those of you wondering about expert, I changed it to expert as early as possible which was when
you are doing the first graffiti thing of reggie. i just paused it and changed it right when there was the prompt to turn the controller sideways.

Pop

I'm pretty happy with the third power. Hopefully I never have to use the second power ever again. Because I hate it. So much.

I don't hate Neon but the third power is just heaps better. If you go to the other bridge without concrete, there's the
satellite dishes you can zoom across to the other island. Back and forth.

Pretty cool. Just noticed it yesterday.

ron_bato

The lighting in this shot is pretty bad (because of the time of day) and FB compression is a bitch, but it was the first time the different angle for the orbital drop came for me so I took a nice screenshot of it. also pretty cool that the space needle was framed well in the shot.

1974414_791324750897699_44988231_o.jpg

First playthrough finished on good. Loved the characters, but the rest was pretty average. What would have made it a lot more fun would be if the powers weren't mostly all a variation on a theme(shoot, dash/fly, etc.) and you could switch them on the fly. And who was
the informant
? Maybe I missed them explaining, plus I have a few more to find. It sounded just like
Delsin

Started my expert playthrough, changed the difficulty right as soon as i get full control of Delsin (which is right when
he falls into Betty's factory and you have to rush to the log house before Reggy finds you

Pretty much the beginning.

I played all the way through the first few core relays in Seattle..will my Expert count?

Is there an earlier point in time where I should've changed it?

impact

Banned
Aaaaaaaand platinum. Will send back to Gamefly tomorrow as there's no need to play it anymore. Definitely agree with the 8/10 reviews, it's good fun but nothing spectacular.

Started my expert playthrough, changed the difficulty right as soon as i get full control of Delsin (which is right when
he falls into Betty's factory and you have to rush to the log house before Reggy finds you

I played all the way through the first few core relays in Seattle..will my Expert count?

You can change it right as you start spray painting.

olimpia84

Got the third power today, is definitely my least favorite of the bunch so far. Neon is the most fun to use and by far the most pretty to look at, smoke the most useful for combat sequences.

Zomba13

How do you get the black and white jacket?

And how do you get back onto the space needle?

White hoody is from good karma (hoody gets more white the more good karma you have and close to red the more evil karma).

I used the final power to get back ontop of the space needle. You aren't meant to be able to but at the top there is an invisible piece of land you can stand on about the orange bit but below the top of the antennae, the rest pushes you off.

Played a bit on my friend's and damn the graphics look absolutely stunning.

Watched the final boss sequence and did some free roaming. And then I realized that it didn't really do much in terms of gameplay advancements. Combat and a lot of interaction mechanics were weak.

Still, what little experience I had was worth it for the eye candy alone. Love the Neon running.

Grinchy

Banned
Finished the game earlier. I really liked this game a lot. You know a game is fun when you plan on turning it off after you beat it but end up messing around for another 30 minutes instead.

hydruxo

Aaaaaaaand platinum. Will send back to Gamefly tomorrow as there's no need to play it anymore. Definitely agree with the 8/10 reviews, it's good fun but nothing spectacular.

You can change it right as you start spray painting.

You sure? I tried to change right when he first starts spray painting and it just came with the 'Paused' screen that shows up during cutscenes.

Zomba13

possible last power spoiler:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjoE0j-IIAAT5QZ.jpg:large
Found a lonely boat after going back to the start of the game using the last power to get there. You can climb the trees around the start to replenish the hover and just hop from tree to tree then glide out. Dunno why there is a boat there though. Says Boat Time on it.

I love going out of bounds in games and to places I'm not supposed to go.

Got my plat earlier today. Loved every second of it. Still need to go back and 100% my Evil play through
DAT ENDING
. I'm really looking forward to the Paper Trail stuff they'll be rolling out. I loved working on it on both my computer and in the game.

sector4

For those asking when is the earliest to change difficulty to extreme, it's before you start your second play through.

Press start, then go to options, change difficulty to extreme, and then hit new game. New game will start with extreme difficulty.

Ascenion

Just finished the game for the 3rd time and got my platinum. Let me just say, really a pretty great game only thing that irked me is what always irks me with the series, and that would be the villains.
The issue as always is that they aren't really evil. Kessler wasn't evil, Alden was a product of Kessler so he couldn't help it, John and Augustine were basically trying to do the same thing which is keep conduits alive and well Bertrand was evil sorta. Everyone says Augustine is hate-able, but honestly until she killed Reggie I didn't really hate her, I just thought she was a bitch. After seeing her back story I really didn't hate her I sympathized.

FMbarbarian

Just finished the game for the 3rd time and got my platinum. Let me just say, really a pretty great game only thing that irked me is what always irks me with the series, and that would be the villains.
The issue as always is that they aren't really evil. Kessler wasn't evil, Alden was a product of Kessler so he couldn't help it, John and Augustine were basically trying to do the same thing which is keep conduits alive and well Bertrand was evil sorta. Everyone says Augustine is hate-able, but honestly until she killed Reggie I didn't really hate her, I just thought she was a bitch. After seeing her back story I really didn't hate her I sympathized.

I don't see how being able to
relate with
a villain is a bad thing.

Fbh

Finished it, playing as "good/hero" on expert.

Overall a truly enjoyable game and as far as sandbox games go one of the most fun I've had in some time.

+ Graphics: Simply the best looking sandbox game (and overall game) I've ever played. The city looks fantastic, the powers and action look great and the performance is quite good (it does get below 30 but only when there is a lot of stuff going on at the same time)

+ Combat: Specially on expert it was a lot of fun. It felt fast and dynamic, plus the powers are fun to use

´+ Characters: So the story is nothing special but I like the characters and the overall dialog. It has several funny moments and the voice acting is solid

- Short: Yes I know it has a ton of replay value but it still a really short game. I'd say the biggest issue in this regard is that the side missions are just not very fun

- Enemy Variety: I would have liked a wider range of enemy variety. Most enemies are the same, some hit stronger, some resist a lot but overall they are the same "type".

- Power Variety: There are more powers than in previous games and while they do feel somewhat unique they all just have 5-6 skills which mostly follow the same concept: A regular ranged attack, a heavy ranged attack, melee, some fast moving option, something to "trap" enemies and a ultimate power.

As a personal score I would give it an 8/10.
The combat is great, the story is fun and the graphics are simply spectacular but it does have some issues. It does get the most important elements right though

Now to start my evil playthrough

Cubed

Just finished the evil playthrough and it was so disheartening I had to switch back to my 100% complete hero save file just to have a "nicer" Delsin and nicer weather. Haha.

Just to clarify, I mean disheartened in regards to how Delsin turned out, not the game.

Awesome game. 2 stunt trophies away from a platinum.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How do you get the black and white jacket?

And how do you get back onto the space needle?

Your jacket changes color depending on your Karma. The more good you are, the lighter it becomes, eventually turning white. The more evil you are, the redder it becomes. Your vest doesn't change color.

To get back onto the space needle, you have to cheese around the invisible barrier by using the (endgame spoiler)
upgraded concrete lift ability,
which will allow you to gain enough height to get around aforementioned barrier.

I know I've said it before, but the pacing in this game was surprisingly good. Maybe it was just due to it being so fun to play regardless of what was going on, but damn things felt nice and brisk. Only issue I have, and it's with any game like this, is balance and difficulty. Sometimes I felt like I was being hit and there was nothing that could be done. Other than that, I'd say this was great.

hydruxo

A villain doesn't have to be pure evil. Ever seen Game of Thrones? Morality is a grey area.

The villains I like the best are ones that you can relate to, because they'll have a motivation for doing what they do. Villains that are just straight up evil are cliche and unrealistic.

Finished the game today.

Disappointingly unambitious. To be perfectly honest if the combat wasn't nearly as good as it was the game would've scored ~60 on Metacritic. It's really the fantastic combat that carries this game, because the rest of the design ranges from pedestrian to severely underdeveloped.

I'm still baffled at the giant drop in side content. We went from plenty of good/evil side missions in inFamous 2 with the addition of endless user-generated content, down to micro-tasks, about a third of the shards of the previous games, and DLC-only side missions (and by the way, Cole's Legacy was a gigantic disappointment) in Second Son.

The sidekicks barely had any screen time. You got to know them, did one mission for them, and immediately they dropped off the face of the earth
until the last mission

Seattle was tiny. Two islands that looked nearly identical that's only a fraction of the size of I2. Zero variety in locales. I thought Sucker Punch said the forest outskirts was going to be one of the major chunks of the game map? It was only there as a 20 minute ultra-linear intro setting then disappeared completely. Very little to see and do. The micro-tasks (I refuse to call them "side missions") were completely independent of the location. They took no advantage of the game's geography in any way. The recreated areas from Seattle were so heavily altered and so tiny in scope that the appeal of having the city be the game's setting is completely lost. I love the city IRL and this game simply does not do it justice. Sucker Punch really should've stuck to making look-a-likes (Empire City = NYC, New Marais = New Orleans, etc.).

But I really can't stress how good the combat is. Wow. Again, it carried the whole game for me. I don't even mind all that much that the enemy variety is really tiny, because every battle was fun as all hell regardless of the location or specific circumstances. I still stand by my statement that the traversal mechanics are broken and unfun. Hitting circle and zipping though the map with zero regard as to where it is that I'm even going went a long way into exacerbating the disconnect I was feeling between the gameplay and the city itself. But my complaints about the core game mechanics pretty much stop there.

I don't know what I would give it. Maybe a 7/10. I don't really give a shit how it stacks up as a "PS4/new generation exclusive", but I do definitely mind how it stacks up as an inFamous game, and I'm disappointed to know that it falls way short of inFamous 2. Combat is fantastic but everything around it was stripped to the bones.

leng jai

Finished it, playing as "good/hero" on expert.

Overall a truly enjoyable game and as far as sandbox games go one of the most fun I've had in some time.

+ Graphics: Simply the best looking sandbox game (and overall game) I've ever played. The city looks fantastic, the powers and action look great and the performance is quite good (it does get below 30 but only when there is a lot of stuff going on at the same time)

+ Combat: Specially on expert it was a lot of fun. It felt fast and dynamic, plus the powers are fun to use

´+ Characters: So the story is nothing special but I like the characters and the overall dialog. It has several funny moments and the voice acting is solid

- Short: Yes I know it has a ton of replay value but it still a really short game. I'd say the biggest issue in this regard is that the side missions are just not very fun

- Enemy Variety: I would have liked a wider range of enemy variety. Most enemies are the same, some hit stronger, some resist a lot but overall they are the same "type".

- Power Variety: There are more powers than in previous games and while they do feel somewhat unique they all just have 5-6 skills which mostly follow the same concept: A regular ranged attack, a heavy ranged attack, melee, some fast moving option, something to "trap" enemies and a ultimate power.

As a personal score I would give it an 8/10.
The combat is great, the story is fun and the graphics are simply spectacular but it does have some issues. It does get the most important elements right though

Now to start my evil playthrough

I'd hardly say it has a ton of replay value though. The game pretty much starts getting stale after your first play through and the morality system (and the trophies) is the main reason to play it again. The unique content in the game is alarmingly low when you think about it. If this game wasn't a looker it would probably have been savaged by reviews.

HORRORSHØW

smoke feels appropriately bad ass during an evil play through. i've been using it more than neon during battles. haven't got the third power yet.

Don't worry, it'll count. That's where I changed it on my first playthrough, and the Trophy unlocks after the credits when they drop you back into the world.

Showaddy

Got the third power today, is definitely my least favorite of the bunch so far. Neon is the most fun to use and by far the most pretty to look at, smoke the most useful for combat sequences.

Really? 3rd power absolutely kills smoke for me, like it's almost to good to the point of me absolutely rolling enemies even on expert.

Top Bottom