• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

vypek

So I'm bracing myself for more disappointment after the whole "the weather and time never changes in endgame" thing, but I have to ask a power related question:

Once you drain a source of neon or smoke, are they gone forever? For some reason neither are coming back for me. I really don't want the neon drain to be the "make the game look less interesting" button.

Not forever. Just takes time for it to return.

EDIT: Urgh. Beaten. lol

One thing I really would have loved, even just as an unlockable, or a beat-the-game-on-both-sides kinda thing, is to be able to switch between all the powers on the fly. It's how I assumed the game would work from the moment I found out they were doing multiple powers, and it still seems like a no-brainer to me. You'd switch between them with the otherwise-wasted D-pad, and it'd be awesome. Just change Karma Bombs to clicking L3 and R3 together, starting missions to the touchpad, and you'd be ready to go.

Kssio_Aug

If i were to play the game once, what would people recommend: good or evil?

Just once? I would say, based at the previous two, the evil way is more fun to play. However I kind feel that, play infamous without finishing with both karmas sounds a little hollow (or maybe an incomplete experience). If you enjoy the game, im sure that will be pleasing to finish as both karmas.

Question: I know Evil gets its own moves, but what about super moves? Are they different for Evil too?

Also, Smoke and
Concrete
are so far behind Neon and
Video
, it's frightening. Neon alone is almost OP.

Smoke is awesome when playing evil. It's THE power for for blowing things up and you don't have to worry about power sources. It's self sustaining really.

Agree with everyone saying its super fun and gorgeous, and that it definitely could have used some more variety. If they added in NPCs with side quests with different fun stuff to do then this game would be incredible. Also think that it needs to flesh out its side characters and their relationships with Delsin more and not just randomly call him and start a mission to kill stuff, then you don't hear from them for a few missions

Its pretty weird because I remember Infamous 2 having a ton of variety

This actually reminds me of GTA4/GTA:SA and Saints Row 3/Saints Row 2

Pretty much reboots of those games that took out a lot of cool content from the past games. I guess the good thing is they eventually put it back in their respective sequels =/
Its good to see though that SP is heading in the right direction with most of it. Absolutely loving how you draw your powers from the environment.

Zok310

Banned
Just collected all of the audio logs.

I'm totally expecting a Infamous: Curden Cay with glass, wire, and paper powers now.

Sounds like a horror movie.. Makes me cringe.
Walking bare feet on glass, 1000 paper cuts, decapitating people with wires.

char0n

The one thing I thought I'd get a trophy or at least an acknowledgement for is
the boss on the bridge, the tornado-rock guy where Augustine was trying to get you to expose your Neon powers and Delsin was pretending he didn't have them, It took me like 8 tries but I actually beat him without resorting to ever switching from smoke. I was ready for some kind of reward/easter egg conversation but on beating him the cutscene starts right out with Delsin admitting he's been exposed as having neon powers
. It's annoying that it clearly presented you a doable challenge in the story with an easy way out, then explicitly acts like you took the easy way even if you beat it.

the boss on the bridge, the tornado-rock guy where Augustine was trying to get you to expose your Neon powers and Delsin was pretending he didn't have them, It took me like 8 tries but I actually beat him without resorting to ever switching from smoke. I was ready for some kind of reward/easter egg converastion but on beating him the cutscene starts right out with Delsin admitting he's been exposed as having neon powers
. It's annoying that it clearly presented you a doable challenge in the story with an easy way out, then explicitly acts like you took the easy way even if you beat it.

Haha, that would indeed have been a cool trophy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
the boss on the bridge, the tornado-rock guy where Augustine was trying to get you to expose your Neon powers and Delsin was pretending he didn't have them, It took me like 8 tries but I actually beat him without resorting to ever switching from smoke. I was ready for some kind of reward/easter egg conversation but on beating him the cutscene starts right out with Delsin admitting he's been exposed as having neon powers
Oh wow, kind of shocked you could do it that way. Would have made sense but since there's no way to replay story missions it may have been a pain for a lot of players.

w00zey

I have one more drone to get. I think it is on the news building but it is blocked by electric fences. I figure it is just not where I can get to it yet but I kinda want confirmation. I hate seeing I have one area with 2% controlled. Anyone know what I am tlaking about?

x0mNiue.png

Groovy, indeed!

The weird thing is inFAMOUS 2 already did this. Every time you load up a save the game changed the TOD.

With Second son they went back to the first games approach: good = always sunny/bluish and bad = always red/brownish.

btkadams

missable trophy? no thanks!

SSReborn

Agreed, I wish there were a better switching mechanic implemented, not a deal breaker, but would have been nice.

I've been saying that would be cool as a new game plus type thing. Put a swipe on the touchpad to switch powers like the kz owl just to mess around with post campaign.

Cubed

Such a solid game. About 10 pages back I said 8/10, and I'll stick to that, but the evil playthrough is much more fun than the hero playthrough.

I may do a third one and just answer/choose the way I would in real life and see how the story flows. For instance, I'd be "good" for the first choice, but likely "bad" for the second one you make; and definitely bad in regards to Hank. Not sure about how I'd choose for the others. That's all I'm saying, to avoid spoilers.

Mondy

Banned
I have one more drone to get. I think it is on the news building but it is blocked by electric fences. I figure it is just not where I can get to it yet but I kinda want confirmation. I hate seeing I have one area with 2% controlled. Anyone know what I am tlaking about?

Yes, getting up the tower is story related. It is literally a linear path that will take you straight to the drone. You can't miss it.

Respect

I actually thought the boss battles against
Fetch
and
Eugene
were a shitload better than the final one.

That is unfortunate to hear, especially
Eugene
, was way too long and way too monotonous. Fight pretty much put me to sleep, did the next mission just to get a preview of the third power and went right to bed after.

PBY

Banned
Mannnn

Just finished it. Realllly disappointing. I give it a 6-7. Closest comparison I can make is the first Assassin's Creed. Amazing, beautiful world. Pretty decent traversal mechanics and fun powers.

But the game never gets out of second gear. Kept waiting to fight more different types of enemies/really engage with cool missions/setpieces. It was all the same, go to area X clear out the dudes, move on. Even the picture taking was meh. Boss fights were the most egregious, especially the last one.

Also- lets call a spade a spade and be real here: there are only
powers. The last one can be used after, but its not fully realized, and you can't use it through normal missions.

Its a good game, but it leaves so much to be desired. Really reminds you that its the start of a generation, and SP is a small team. Could have been so much more, but ended up feeling like a really superficial experience dotted with moments of awesome. Even the story starts out strong, then really just devolves into fluff.

w00zey

Yes, getting up the tower is story related. It is literally a linear path that will take you straight to the drone. You can't miss it.

Awesome that is what it seemed like. I only have the second power (did all of the side stuff first) so I figured that a power will let me past. Thanks!

SSReborn

Btw about the second boss

when he splits into the smaller angels and flies over to the other side, you can shoot those angels to continue damaging him.

I don't know if that is widely known but it definitely helped me finish the fight quicker when I realized it.

Vidpixel

I really wish the missions were more fun.
So much lost potential here.

I still thought the game was fun for what it was, but I do agree that the mission variety was severely lacking. The side-missions were especially tedious and didn't really add anything to the core gameplay, even though I found the spray painting mini-game to be weirdly entertaining (though trying to shake the controller when it's plugged in was a little cumbersome).

xPhinehas

Lets try that again!

I'm playing on advanced (good alignment) and the new rock enemies were kicking my butt! After I got the
video
power I made easy work of them. Probably my favorite power so far! Excited for the fourth!

Mondy

Banned
Mannnn

Just finished it. Realllly disappointing. I give it a 6-7. Closest comparison I can make is the first Assassin's Creed. Amazing, beautiful world. Pretty decent traversal mechanics and fun powers.

But the game never gets out of second gear. Kept waiting to fight more different types of enemies/really engage with cool missions/setpieces. It was all the same, go to area X clear out the dudes, move on. Even the picture taking was meh. Boss fights were the most egregious, especially the last one.

Also- lets call a spade a spade and be real here: there are only
powers. The last one can be used after, but its not fully realized, and you can't use it through normal missions.

Its a good game, but it leaves so much to be desired. Really reminds you that its the start of a generation, and SP is a small team. Could have been so much more, but ended up feeling like a really superficial experience dotted with moments of awesome. Even the story starts out strong, then really just devolves into fluff.

Perfect summation of my feelings as well. It's simply a far better display of the PS4's graphical abilities than Killzone and nothing more.

vypek

You'll have access to it later in the game during a story mission and post game

Endo Punk

This game is just so fun! I really hope the layoffs don't affect SP. They should be commended for not only creating a beautiful playground but also gameplay that just feels sublime. I just wish melee had a little more of a punch. Have yet to get the 3rd power, I'm just jumping around, doing side missions and taking in the sights. I gotta platinum this game, it's worthy.

scoobs

Perfect summation of my feelings as well. It's simply a far better display of the PS4's graphical abilities than Killzone and nothing more.
I really can't agree with this. The combat is super fun and interesting, its more than a looker. Its definitely got areas where they can improve upon in the inevitable sequel, but to relegate it to nothing but good graphics is just wrong IMO.

Just once? I would say, based at the previous two, the evil way is more fun to play. However I kind feel that, play infamous without finishing with both karmas sounds a little hollow (or maybe an incomplete experience). If you enjoy the game, im sure that will be pleasing to finish as both karmas.
Thanx. Yeah if i like it i will play it again. But i rarely do that.

vypek

I really can't agree with this. The combat is super fun and interesting, its more than a looker. Its definitely got areas where they can improve upon in the inevitable sequel, but to relegate it to nothing but good graphics is just wrong IMO.

I agree with you. A 6 or 7 is absolutely too low for this game. Its an awesome game off its premise and gameplay alone but its so fun and has other things as well. They do have some room for improvement but a 6 or 7 as a score? No way.

DukeBobby

Finished it about an hour ago.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, but the game was beginning to outstay its welcome, despite being pretty short. The side content was tedious and I didn't like how they padded out the second half with a bunch of overlong boss fights.

7.5 - 8 is the score I'd give it. Critics seemed to be right on the money for once.

Mondy

Banned

I think you're looking a bit too much into my wording. I never said the combat itself was bad, it's actually rather decent and the Karma bombs are awesome to watch unfold. However the rest of the game built around the combat and the visuals is just not good enough to compliment them.

Thinking back on it now, the game was filled with typical "we have an open world and no idea what to put in it" style content, mostly involving "go here, repeat this copy pasted mission with slight differences, rinse and repeat".

I'm really sick of open world games where the developers haven't bothered to put the effort into actually planning what goes into the world, and it just ends up being boring, cookie cutter, monotonous gameplay. This game was only slightly better on that front than Assassin's Creed. It's on this front that people really need to start taking pointers from Bethesda.

scoobs

I think you're looking a bit too much into my wording. I never said the combat itself was bad, it's actually rather decent and the Karma bombs are awesome to watch unfold. However the rest of the game built around the combat and the visuals is just not good enough to compliment them.

Thinking back on it now, the game was filled with typical "we have an open world and no idea what to put in it" style content, mostly involving "go here, repeat this copy pasted mission with slight differences, rinse and repeat".

I'm really sick of open world games where the developers haven't bothered to put the effort into actually planning what goes into the world, and it just ends up being boring, cookie cutter, monotonous gameplay. This game was only slightly better on that front than Assassin's Creed. It's on this front that people really need to start taking pointers from Bethesda.
Ya I agree for the most part. I'm hoping that now that they have the foundation they can put more into making the stuff you actually do in the world a bit more interesting/diverse. Side quests, more and better fleshed out characters and relationships (better story basically), coop? Lots of fun possiblities

NeoRausch

Guys, i seriously need some help with Paper Trail....and i feel dumb for it.
So i did the first mission and logged on the website again. Got all the evidence i need

So i go to the Brunberg Detective Site, click on "Forgot Pasword" and get three security questions:

Name of your oldest Daughter: Jaylene
Name of your favourite Fat Food Restaurant:Fiesta Cauldron (also tried Meaty Martha's Fiesta Cauldron)
Name of your Cat: Boots

that's exactly what i've typed in and i only get the login error page... what am i doing wrong here? It's driving nuts since yesterday!!

Raptor

Guys, i seriously need some help with Paper Trail....and i feel dumb for it.
So i did the first mission and logged on the website again. Got all the evidence i need

So i go to the Brunberg Detective Site, click on "Forgot Pasword" and get three security questions:

Name of your oldest Daughter: Jaylene
Name of your favourite Fat Food Restaurant:Fiesta Cauldron (also tried Meaty Martha's Fiesta Cauldron)
Name of your Cat: Boots

that's exactly what i've typed in and i only get the login error page... what am i doing wrong here? It's driving nuts since yesterday!!

Second one is
Meaty Martha's

Top Bottom