• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

dstarMDA

I know I'm going to sound stupid but does "canon" mean one that won't be used?

I.e. People hoping that the evil ending will be cannon, meaning the good ending will be used for the next game or DLC?

It's the other way around :)

Canon means set in stone as the official storyline for a franchise.

ThisOne

Just got my first big chunk of play time in. The game feels pretty janky and I feel like I was just constantly being shot at from every angle from the DUP. Is there anyway early on to destroy those big DUP trucks?

viveks86

x0mNiue.png

Groovy, indeed!

vypek

Just got my first big chunk of play time in. The game feels pretty janky and I feel like I was just constantly being shot at from every angle from the DUP. Is there anyway early on to destroy those big DUP trucks?

Hm, only janky part to me was the climbing and sometimes riding on the monorail.

Yes, like the other games, you are shot with pretty high accuracy from many angles. Best option is to ALWAYS have high ground. Early way to take on the trucks? If you mean mobile command centers, the karma bombs make these really easy. If you mean APCs, the attack attached to R1 should make it simple.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Two well aimed smoke missiles seems to do the trick.

Alchemy

I'm at like 83% complete right now, the only thing left on the map is a shard somewhere on a tower I can't seem to climb (guessing story related)?). This game is great, want to bail out of work so I can binge some more.

Hoodbury

Things definitely get smoother once you unlock more skills and upgrade them. You get more ways to manage multiple enemies and take them out.

What big trucks are you talking about, the mobile ones that drive around or the ones you have to take out in their 'base' areas? The mobile ones take 3 or 4 R1 blasts. The base ones you take out the side panels and then go to the top and pull up the energy source and pound on it and then the truck explodes and you get 4 shards from it.

Hm, only janky part to me was the climbing and sometimes riding on the monorail. Yes, like the other games, you are shot with pretty high accuracy from many angles. Best option is to ALWAYS have high ground. Early way to take on the trucks? If you mean mobile command centers, the karma bombs make these really easy. If you mean APCs, the attack attached to R1 should make it simple.

Two things I never did in my playthrough, lol. Save for some occasional, light platforming. I loved sequences in which I'd be neon running up a wall then hit diagonal left or right and let go of neon but Delsin would basically be wall-running if there was a grippable ledge. Those moments felt so damn cool.

EDIT: I'm really disappointed with no trophy or reward for
destroying the APCs. What the hell, Sucker Punch? I always made sure to finish each one off, but I never got anything for it. :/

burgerdog

Didn't infamous 2 randomized the ToD after you beat the game? Every time you loaded the game it would change. Still, I would prefer a dynamic ToD, wonder why they don't through with it.

k4n3

Banned
well i beat the game as both good/evil and i have to say this is the worst infamous yet, graphics are amazing but i felt the combat (spent have the time swinging blind thanks to camera) was very poor and the story just felt shallow

i played 1/2 for free thanks to PS+ and loved them both but i was just so desperate for a ps4 game i caved in and got it, i kinda wish i waited for this one too :(

KorrZ

Agree completely. Very boring, not powerful.

I feel the same way. IDK, I'm sure it's fine but it just doesn't seem as fun to me as Smoke or Neon. Even Neon is kind of a drag compared to Smoke TBH.

I think I might have set myself up because I spoiled myself on what the third power type was (hadn't seen it though except the name) and I built up this expectation of what it would be like anddddd it's completely not that.

i played 1/2 for free thanks to PS+ and loved them both but i was just so desperate for a ps4 game i caved in and got it, i kinda wish i waited for this one too :(
Way to support the devs.

Funnily enough I feel the complete opposite, I thought this was the best one yet and I liked everything about it - the gameplay, the story, the characters and the city. The camera was not a problem for me.

vypek

Two things I never did in my playthrough, lol. Save for some occasional, light platforming. I loved sequences in which I'd be neon running up a wall then hit diagonal left or right and let go of neon but Delsin would basically be wall-running if there was a grippable ledge. Those moments felt so damn cool.

destroying the APCs. What the hell, Sucker Punch? I always made sure to finish each one off, but I never got anything for it. :/

Lol. Yeah, you're not really meant to climb. I only tried on occasion because I didn't remember where the vent was and I didn't want to drop down to find it. And monorail I just wanted to surf around on for a bit. lol. Getting good with neon traversal feels incredible. Especially when you get the right combo of
photon jumping
and
thrusters
mixed into running. It is incredible!

Yeah, I'm shocked at the lack of trophy for that too. It didn't even affect things in game that much if you did do that.

k4n3

Banned
Way to support the devs.

Funnily enough I feel the complete opposite, I thought this was the best one yet and I liked everything about it - the gameplay, the story, the characters and the city. The camera was not a problem for me.

money you pay for PS+ goes to the dev team its not like i pirated the games, how do you think they get games on there?....... also if they were not on PS+ id of never played them and probably not even bought second son, so now its a crime to play free games on PS+ LMAO

spectyre

Welp, I am almost done with my second playthrough. I have all the trophies except for the story mission. Expect to have my platinum trophy sometime tomorrow. I really enjoy inFAMOUS but one thing drives me crazy... a rotating mini map. Whoever implemented this should be slapped with a dead fish.

btkadams

how could they make a trophy for it if they continuously respawn on the map? you're talking about those vehicles that drive around, right? they never completely go away, do they?

vypek

how could they make a trophy for it if they continuously respawn on the map? you're talking about those vehicles that drive around, right? they never completely go away, do they?

Personally, I thought it would be the type of trophy where you break 10 of them or something. And no, they don't ever completely go away.

Edit: I wish there was a custom mix ability. Like mapping CIRCLE to neon and L1/R1 to smoke, etc. Mix and match powers. I love the crowd control of smoke but the distance of neon

100%ed my good play through. Really enjoyed the game, even if I agree with some complaints in regards to variety. Looking forward to rushing through on Expert as Evil to get the platinum!

Mondy

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough.

It was alright overall. Definitely in the field of high 7's, low 8's so the critics nailed it there. However I concur with the consensus on the ending. It sucked quite frankly. The final boss battle was pathetic and felt rushed as hell.

Oh, so we're just running from one side of the room to the other throwing rocks at each other. Great. Also, her aimbot rock spew is just utter bullshit.

I'll be playing through again on Expert Evil for the platinum just because I'm so close to getting it, but normally I wouldn't bother with a game I didn't summarily love.

The third power is super useful, just plays really differently compared to the previous two. I can take out a lot of DUP groups without them even fighting back.

Yeah not feeling the complaints for
Video. It's a different beast entirely and everyone seems to want each power to be similar, but they don't want to give up what they consider to be the "best" one. I'm glad they threw a curveball for Video and I really like the utility of stealth and hover. It's not like there isn't another power source nearby at practically all times. So far I love all three powers equally.

Skilletor

Video. It's a different beast entirely and everyone seems to want each power to be similar, but they don't want to give up what they consider to be the "best" one. I'm glad they threw a curveball for Video and I really like the utility of stealth and hover. It's not like there isn't another power source nearby at practically all times. So far I love all three powers equally.

I initially hated the third power until I leveled up its abilities.

Once you unlock the ability to remain invis after a takedown, it's much better.

vypek

It was alright overall. Definitely in the field of high 7's, low 8's so the critics nailed it there. However I concur with the consensus on the ending. It sucked quite frankly. The final boss battle was pathetic and felt rushed as hell.

Oh, so we're just running from one side of the room to the other throwing rocks at each other. Great. Also, her aimbot rock spew is just utter bullshit.

I'll be playing through again on Expert Evil for the platinum just because I'm so close to getting it, but normally I wouldn't bother with a game I didn't summarily love.

I liked the final boss. I think you'll like the evil ending better

eliochip

Video
ended up being my favorite after I beat the game. I kinda didnt want to get rid of Neon at first but man.
Stealth killing is fast.

Also fuck Rock. Only good for healing legs

IndustryX

I am playing through Expert Good Karma on my second playthrough and Evil is the much superior way to play, had quite a bit more fun not having to worry about who I could shoot and where.

ShinMaruku

I love the thrid power. It has homing and I cna take out the big mooks in 1 salvo and it's great for bosses. I don't know what you guys are talking about....

I used it almost exclusively because not only is the traversal amazing but the abilities too. Made Expert a cakewalk so how could I not love it?
I think its more or less the placement of where you have to drain to get your powers back, I agree the traversal is awesome but I like neon the most.

scoobs

Agree with everyone saying its super fun and gorgeous, and that it definitely could have used some more variety. If they added in NPCs with side quests with different fun stuff to do then this game would be incredible. Also think that it needs to flesh out its side characters and their relationships with Delsin more and not just randomly call him and start a mission to kill stuff, then you don't hear from them for a few missions

Certinty

I don't even know the last 2 powers but I am going to assume
the first few levels on my way to Seattle gave them both away?

So I'm bracing myself for more disappointment after the whole "the weather and time never changes in endgame" thing, but I have to ask a power related question:

Once you drain a source of neon or smoke, are they gone forever? For some reason neither are coming back for me. I really don't want the neon drain to be the "make the game look less interesting" button.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I'm bracing myself for more disappointment after the whole "the weather and time never changes in endgame" thing, but I have to ask a power related question:

Once you drain a source of neon or smoke, are they gone forever? For some reason neither are coming back for me. I really don't want the neon drain to be the "make the game look less interesting" button.
No, they come back.

Mondy

Banned
Question: I know Evil gets its own moves, but what about super moves? Are they different for Evil too?

Also, Smoke and
Concrete
are so far behind Neon and
Video
, it's frightening. Neon alone is almost OP.

Top Bottom