• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Theecliff

Banned
Fucksake

5Z8nf60.jpg

Teeeeescooooooo

:'(

HT UK

Do I just suck at this game or are some of the DUP control points quite hard? Playing on Normal btw.

Delsin really needs a bulletproof vest power.

madp0k

Right well I've cleared the city apart from the last shard drone and I have 83% done so I'm guessing only a few missions left on my good/normal play through and have really loved the game so far.

Quick question, when is the best time to change the difficulty to expert for my evil playthrough? I've heard some people haven't been getting the trophy and I just want to make sure I get it.

Do I just suck at this game or are some of the DUP control points quite hard? Playing on Normal btw.

I had trouble too but I think the key is to keep moving around using your traversal powers and to retreat whenever your health drops low. Keeping a karmic bomb charged for those control points also makes it a lot easier.

Kuldar

Quick question, when is the best time to change the difficulty to expert for my evil playthrough? I've heard some people haven't been getting the trophy and I just want to make sure I get it.
At the begining of the game, when you are using the paint spray. It worked for me.

For me, the video power fully upgraded is a quick and easy way to fill up the karma bomb and avoid damage, especially since you can quickly dash out of a sticky situation faster than the other powers and then stealth, subdue two enemies, then re-stealth and subdue more ad. infinitum.

I generally like all aspects of the power, automatic zoom-hovering and heavy hitting melee included, but the karma bomb is quite dubious. I've literally watched in annoyance as DUP mobs ran away a few feet to the left/right out of the frontal cone and avoided the attack all together. And then, if you're under something, the big finale doesn't even strike where you want it to, but I guess there's a trade off for having video easily be able to rack up points to fill the meter.

Paganmoon

Try keeping to the rooftops, and pick the DUPs one by one, don't try to gung-ho them. The very first DUP control point was really hard till I started just keeping to rooftops, and Neon is king for these aswell
Subdue, subdue, subdue

Right well I've cleared the city apart from the last shard drone and I have 83% done so I'm guessing only a few missions left on my good/normal play through and have really loved the game so far.

Hmm, yeah, would like to know this also.

hydruxo

I was looking at a trophy guide last night and it said to change
right when ou get control of Delsin in the cannery after Betty first talks to him
. That's when I switched.

LakeEarth

Getting deeper into the game. I think I'll beat it, then wait for the new missions to come out before playing it again for the platinum medal.

JohngPR

At the begining of the game, when you are using the paint spray. It worked for me.

Intro to game spoilers:

I did it after I
completed the stencil
right when the game gave me control of Delsin. Is that ok to get the Expert trophy? When I tried to pause during the spray paint scene it would just pause and not bring up options.

Vitor711

For me, the video power fully upgraded is a quick and easy way to fill up the karma bomb and avoid damage, especially since you can quickly dash out of a sticky situation faster than the other powers and then stealth, subdue two enemies, then re-stealth and subdue more ad. infinitum.

I generally like all aspects of the power, automatic zoom-hovering and heavy hitting melee included, but the karma bomb is quite dubious. I've literally watched in annoyance as DUP mobs ran away a few feet to the left/right out of the frontal cone and avoided the attack all together. And then, if you're under something, the big finale doesn't even strike where you want it to, but I guess there's a trade off for having video easily be able to rack up points to fill the meter.

Yeah, that Karma Bomb power isn't the screen clearing super move that the others have. It can be a little frustrating to use.

Wait, is there a Karma Bomb for Concrete? I'd imagine not as there's no way to gain good karma points with the move set but I didn't bother to check when I was clearing out all districts yesterday post-game.

Toadette

Banned
should i buy this game

im heading to gamestop looking for something to buy

i know there 2 games on the ps3

is the ps4 a reboot ? if so ill buy it or else ocd will sink in ( and i dont have it)

JohngPR

should i buy this game

im heading to gamestop looking for something to buy

i know there 2 games on the ps3

is the ps4 a reboot ? if so ill buy it or else ocd will sink in ( and i dont have it)

Kind of? It takes place years after the other games and isn't directly linked to those stories.

Klotera

Really enjoyed it. My biggest suggestion for the next one would be to make melee combat a bigger part of the game. It feels good, but isn't viable in larger fights for more than a few seconds, then you have to run off. Maybe take some notes from the Batman games on chaining combos across multiple enemies. I'd love to jump in, take out 4 or 5 enemies with my melee weapon then turn around and shoot at some DUP in the distance then go back to melee fighting. Would make the battles a lot more exciting.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So to plat this game the time is 30 hours? Is this number accurate?

ABM my man. Always be moving. Find rooftops, leave the scene for a bit, etc. Engage from afar. Use your L1 and R1 powers wisely and DUP control points should be relatively easy.

Schlomo

I can't seem to get the comet drop 170m trophy. I tried from the final building. Is it bugged, or am I losing to much height when dashing over the edge?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I like what Delsin says when you get the platinum.

It's the little touches in this game that really impress me.I

Nah, you can do it in much less. 20 hours tops. It depends on how good/quick you are.
WTF and people complain of ground Zeroes :(

zebwinz

I can't seem to get the comet drop 170m trophy. I tried from the final building. Is it bugged, or am I losing to much height when dashing over the edge?

Get all the way to the top, then use the satellite dish to shoot up higher. Once you stop, glide while looking down to make sure there isn't a ledge or bridge in the way (best to figure out what side of the building you're aiming for first).

IndustryX

Says a lot about the re playability and mechanics of the game that I'm considering playing it 3 time. Evil normal, good normal and then evil expert

Yeah I might play it a third time even after platinuming it lol, awesome game. Might go for an evil expert run. Combine the best difficulty with the best karma choice ;)

torontoml

So completed my infamous and hero playthroughs, I prefer smoke and the third power on evil and neon on good its still really good on evil though. Smoke and
video
seem to just not have the same stopping power when playing good, and resulted in me using neon almost all the time. When I played evil I mixed it up a lot more.

And the fourth power sucks.

hydruxo

Once you use the satellite dish, do the dash ability twice to make sure you get out away from the buildings then immediately do the comet drop and guide it so that you hit the street and not a rooftop or anything else.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ibtY09TIik4doj.gif

banderas.gif

Still early in the game. Hope to put more playtime into it over the coming weekend.

About half way done. The game looks great but is average at best. Powers are fun and the writing is okay.

The combat is tedious and repetitive.

Attack, get shoot at until almost dead, run and hide to heal hoping you make it, repeat. .

The city seems stale and depressing, maybe that's the theme they're going for but there doesn't seem to be anything unique about it. Just seems like a default open world city. (I guess GTA V spoiled me)

Traversing isn't much fun either, seems like a chore to get around anywhere.

I can't get over how pretty this game looks.

So far, it's a really really fun game. But coming from GTA, I do find it weird that that you don't have to deal with continuing escalating pressure from the DUP when you obliterate them.

Paganmoon

After you do your initial tag and you have to hide from the cops, before you even touch the analog go into the menu and select expert. Worked out for me, just got platinum last night.

Well, crap, I think I changed about the time I got to the lodge, or sometime thereabouts... I'll just have to see then, otherwise, will have to do Evil run on expert too.

Hoodbury

Attack, get shoot at until almost dead, run and hide to heal hoping you make it, repeat. .

This isn't an attack on you or others who have had this claim but I have to wonder if a lot of it is just user skill of the game?

I'm at 61% done but still only have the first two powers and early on I had those same thoughts, like why am I always having to run and hide to heal. As I played more I can tell I've gotten better and even with just the first two powers still I barely ever have to run and hide anymore. I've gotten so much better at staying in the thick of things but doing crowd control so much better and building up my super power and just unleashing hell on any remaining enemies in the area.

All I think you need to do is switch up your tactics and you might have a better time with combat. I've seen others post as well that they don't have to run and hide to regen either so to me with my own personal experience and others posting it I have to conclude that it's got to be user skill.

Traversing is unlike anything I've ever played in a game before and I think it's completely awesome. I can't even think how you would say it's a chore to get around anywhere? With neon you can get anywhere in the blink of an eye and it's super fun to combine jumping/floating with power bursts to get around.

Saberus

About half way done. The game looks great but is average at best. Powers are fun and the writing is okay.

The city seems stale and depressing, maybe that's the theme they're going for but there doesn't seem to be anything unique about it. Just seems like a default open world city. (I guess GTA V spoiled me)

Too bad you don't enjoy it, but I guess you can expect a % of people that will not like certain games, I'm glad this game did not effect me the same way.

Cubed

Well, crap, I think I changed about the time I got to the lodge, or sometime thereabouts... I'll just have to see then, otherwise, will have to do Evil run on expert too.

I think you'll be okay. Others have said that as long as you change before the first "choice," you'll be okay. I don't know if they are telling the truth, because I changed the difficulty right when I took control of Delsin, but I think you'll be fine.

IndustryX

Yeah I'm not sure how picky it is on the timing of the menu choice, kinda dumb you can't pick before you start the game honestly.

Good luck!

ChrisW

ibtY09TIik4doj.gif

banderas.gif

Still early in the game. Hope to put more playtime into it over the coming weekend.
This gif alone shows that it wouldn't be much effort to put a day/night transition into the game and weather

Unless this is a pre-rendered animation, I see that the clouds move too which I don't think happens in the story.?

Also does anyone else love the music that starts playing when your just jumping around after completing the story? I find it really (thought provoking) and makes me stop and look at the game world a lot, find myself doing a lot of slow pans

Seriously? Boss Fights where awesome for me, in fact i find the third power and smoke to be more fun to use than neon.

Opinions i guess, is like people preferring the bosses of infamous 2 over 1, or Sly 2 over 1, i like classic style bosses, those that are hard and have gimmicks to beat them.

I'm not a fan of MMO-style "phase repetition and transition" style boss fights. They're barely fun when you're coordinating with 10+ other people to do them, and complete tedium to me to do alone. The final boss fight was marginally better because it at least cropped down the amount of repeated phases, but the first
Augustine
fight in particular was just awful.

I would have rather the "boss" events were something that stayed in the open world and actually incorporated more game elements rather than being removed out to big dumb boss "arenas" for big dumb "sequences". That's just me, though. I'd rather fight the "boss" out in the city scrounging for power source on my own and letting the situation evolve organically, in the appropriate fashion of an open world game, rather than having a painfully structured and restricted "experience" crammed into a corner of the game that exists only for that battle.

I mean, to me 90% of the game is about traversal, then you get into the boss fights and it's all, "Welcome to this 30' x 30' circle, please dash responsibly." They feel like pieces cut from another game and hastily glued on, Deus Ex: HR style.

And yeah, I found the third power dopey and the character attached to it worthy of a sound eye-rolling and nothing else. I'm glad I'd already completed all the open world stuff by that point so I could just burn through at a ridiculous pace and never use it outside of mandatory boss fight segments.

void666

Banned
Brazilgaf here going to the US and A next week to get mah ps4. And infamous is the first game i'm getting. I hope i dont have any trouble finding it for sale.

Voidance

Finished my Hero playthrough last night. The story was decent, utterly predictable (I'm hoping the Infamous run has a few more twists), and pretty well acted. The last boss fight was stupid; I'm not looking forward to that crap on my expert playthrough.

After one completion, I'm sticking to me 7.5 -- above average, but a lot of wasted potential.

Sid

Finished the game and it is by far the worst Infamous yet,it's fun for a while but it is so woefully short and having no side missions doesn't help either,graphics are great though.

Does anyone know when the next paper trail update comes out?

Anyway, I got the third power last night, but I had to turn the game off immediately afterward because I had to go to bed, so I didn't get to use it at all.

Top Bottom