• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

I think what makes the game feel short is
it really feels like there should have been an arc between Eugene and the final one. You get Video Powers, then you hunt down Hank for one mission, Hank betrays you, and then it's the end of the game. So it's like 40 minutes to an hour between Eugene's loyalty mission, which feels like it should be the middle of the game, to climbing Augustine's tower.

Yeah, I agree, it felt like a
4 act game that ended up only being 3 acts.
1. Intro/journey to Seattle
2. Growing your powers/Meeting Fetch
3. Eugene/Ending.

Feels like there should have been something to split up that last one. I still really enjoyed it, though, and didn't think it was too short.

NeoRausch

just tried on FF with the same result. Here's a sreencap of the error message:

weresorrybutsomethingkrcoj.png

shit is frustrating!

Sid

So now I'm starting to enjoy the game after getting the last power and using it to capture the districts,does this game have a new game+?Also,I'm surprised that no review I read/watched mentioned how short the game is....

Perfect! I never finished either Infamous games because they were so long and so much to do. Now that I'm old I do really enjoy the 10-15 hour games more.
It took me half that time to finish the game but I guess that's even better for you.

Hoodbury

just tried on FF with the same result. Here's a sreencap of the error message:

weresorrybutsomethingkrcoj.png

shit is frustrating!

Ah, that message. I got that one too quite a bit on the papertrail stuff at first. First when trying to log in the system itself when verifying my email address when registering, then when trying to synch with my game/ps4 account.

The thing was, even though I got that message when trying to register my account, it still did end up working, I just had to refresh the page. Same with synching my PS4, I got that message but then the next time I logged in it showed I was synched. So maybe once you get that message try clicking refresh or the back browser button then forward, etc and see if those do anything.

I don't know if the url is dynamic, but you could also try just using this direct URL and see if that works at all:
That's the url to the page that should load once you enter the 3 answers.

Hopefully that isn't tied to my account or anything.
Here's the next url too if the one above doesn't work:

All you are using those url's for is to get an ID number.

Or if you want to see if the ID is universal you could try the next step in the paper trail and enter this on the phone thingy:

I think what makes the game feel short is
it really feels like there should have been an arc between Eugene and the final one. You get Video Powers, then you hunt down Hank for one mission, Hank betrays you, and then it's the end of the game. So it's like 40 minutes to an hour between Eugene's loyalty mission, which feels like it should be the middle of the game, to climbing Augustine's tower.

The writing feels super compressed. I couldn't believe that throughout the course of ONE mission as a Hero, Fetch
goes from killing dealers to subduing them
. It's like her first or second mission too.

Just spent the afternoon finishing all the side stuff and doing some trophies. Now all that remains is replaying the game on expert and being evil, as well as getting a couple of other trophies. This could very well be my first platinum'd game...

Third power spoiler:

is it ever revealed why he lost his powers after fighting Eugene?

Deslin can only have one power "running" at any given time. When he first gains the third power he doesn't know how to actually do anything with it, so it's not so much he's powerless as he has a completely useless power.

Deslin can only have one power "running" at any given time. When he first gains the third power he doesn't know how to actually do anything with it, so it's not so much he's powerless as he has a completely useless power.

but I thought the problem was that he wasn't even able to drain smoke or neon either. And he got the neon power immediately after taking it from Fetch

but I thought the problem was that he wasn't even able to drain smoke or neon either. And he got the neon power immediately after taking it from Fetch

That's just a gameplay contrivance to keep you from switching immediately back to neon and forgetting the third power forever. They do the same thing when you first learn neon - if you try to switch back to smoke, it won't let you until you complete the "drain the relays" part of the mission - you probably just didn't notice because you didn't have as much pressing reason to want to switch out of neon.

As for why they don't start you with your basic R1 attack:
It's just to shoehorn your brother back into the plot and try to generate a stronger attachment to him, really. It's a pretty thin plot contrivance.

NeoRausch

Ah, that message. I got that one too quite a bit on the papertrail stuff at first. First when trying to log in the system itself when verifying my email address when registering, then when trying to synch with my game/ps4 account.

The thing was, even though I got that message when trying to register my account, it still did end up working, I just had to refresh the page. Same with synching my PS4, I got that message but then the next time I logged in it showed I was synched. So maybe once you get that message try clicking refresh or the back browser button then forward, etc and see if those do anything.

I don't know if the url is dynamic, but you could also try just using this direct URL and see if that works at all:
That's the url to the page that should load once you enter the 3 answers.

Hopefully that isn't tied to my account or anything.
Here's the next url too if the one above doesn't work:

All you are using those url's for is to get an ID number.

Or if you want to see if the ID is universal you could try the next step in the paper trail and enter this on the phone thingy:

hoodbury...'WTF!?!?!
that first link......IT WORKED!
I LOVE YOU!

Jut

Banned
Awesome game. I got the Platinum last night. Got if for $45 off Gamefly and have til April 20th to trade it in to Gamestop for $40!

Just beat the game on good karma. Loved it! Man some of the evil choices sound so brutal. I'm gonna feel like a real dick on my evil playthrough :(

Theecliff

Banned
Everyone's talking about the game and giving impressions and I'm all like
Cookie_monster_impatient.gif

Fuck you, Tesco. If it weren't for the fact that I'm getting it cheaper through the site I would have gone and picked this up a while ago.

Everyone's talking about the game and giving impressions and I'm all like
Cookie_monster_impatient.gif

Fuck you, Tesco. If it weren't for the fact that I'm getting it cheaper through the site I would have gone and picked this up a while ago.
Some people in your position might buy the game somewhere else, pick up the Tesco order when it comes in, and return the Tesco copy at the first store.

Krentist

Neo Member
Finished the whole thing on Good Karma, watched a cohort beat it on Evil... a couple things I noticed, maybe others can chime in:

Good vs Evil:
Man, Delsin became a huge asshole in Evil, but the weird thing is that he's only Evil at specific points because they clearly wanted Good/Evil to share as many general cutscenes as possible, which ends up making him seem bipolar or something at times. For example him
threatening to break in Reggie's nose during the Fetch's cutscene
seemed way too extreme given the feeling of the cutscene overall, as was his decision to
blow up the Akomish
. It also doesn't make sense that Reggie tells Evil Delsin
how "proud" he is of him before he falls... you'd think it'd be the opposite.

I actually almost prefer the way they handled "Evil" in Infamous 2 as opposed to this game; Cole was much more selfish rather than outright evil, and I think it worked better.

Is it just me, or does Augustine's
reasoning for "protecting" the Conduits
totally sound like that's been done before, in some other game/comic/show? I swear I've seen that excuse somewhere before.

I was really annoyed at how they lock out your ability to choose Good/Bad missions really early on... why bother showing my the red mission marker when I can't choose it? It's been a while since I played it, but I could've sworn that Infamous 2 still let you select Good/Bad approaches to the mission throughout the game regardless of you alignment, the exception being the very last important Good/Bad choice.

Oh, and FUCK HANK. Seriously.
The only time in my Good run that I went Evil to choke the fucker out... and then they dropped me a full Good level because of it!! I very grudgingly reloaded to save him, but man, fuck his daughter and fuck his stupid ass... he didn't even properly apologize for getting Reggie killed.

Cole's Legacy DLC:
What a waste of time... I was really hoping for more content that mattered, rather than a lame
Zeke 2 second speaking bit
and
Wolfe's brother whose face was literally one of the generic Secret Agent faces that I saw at least 20 times during the game
. I'm surprised they weren't more vague about Cole
actually being dead, since you think they'd want to keep that open just in case they ever want to revist it in the future
. I would've loved some comic book cutscenes of what happened between Infamous 2 and Second Son with more fleshed out story.

I did think that the Good ending felt the best overall, very nice nod to Infamous 2 with
Delsin's last line
, and the stuff about Reggie
genuinely made me sad he didn't make it

Speaking of Reggie, does anyone think that maybe
there's a chance he might've survived somehow? Considering that Hank was also encased in concrete and still survived... what if Reggie had some latent Conduit ability the way Delsin did
?

GRaider81

Really good game, was a pleasure to play through and get the plat.

Yes its fairly short but perfect to fit into my playtime of a couple of hours a night.

EGM1966

They don't explain it. They did it purely to force you to seek out the next few cores in a specific order wit Reggie to encounter some scripted events.

In other words purely a narrative contrivance.

thenexus6

I started it today, maybe 45 minutes in and stats say 8%. It's very good, face capture is very impressive and the touch pad controls are very welcome. Nice to see it actually used in a game.

Wait, how do they explain how Delsin reads minds in the form of comic book cutscenes after he absorbs a power? Is that part of his absorbing powers?

I suppose it makes sense. What has never made sense is how Delsin (or even Cole) could heal people using his powers. In Cole's case it barely made sense, you could use an electrical shock to stop someone's hard if they went into cardiac arrest. But Delsin just lifts up a hand and voila! Cured by smoke!

Wait, how do they explain how Delsin reads minds in the form of comic book cutscenes after he absorbs a power? Is that part of his absorbing powers?

I suppose it makes sense. What has never made sense is how Delsin (or even Cole) could heal people using his powers. In Cole's case it barely made sense, you could use an electrical shock to stop someone's hard if they went into cardiac arrest. But Delsin just lifts up a hand and voila! Cured by smoke!

Simpsons
X-Men did it. It's just an accepted part of the comic medium now that stealing someone's powers gives you some of their memories, personality, or dancing skills.

As for why it's displayed in comic book form, well... why not? Memory is imperfect. You don't really access your memories as a grainy movie reel or something, either. You can basically choose to portray it through whatever medium gets you going. To some degree it makes sense to not use the same medium for memory and live events, and it's an artistic choice that's made pretty often to convey the fact that memory is experienced differently compared to events in real time.

With the game looking like "a moving bullshot", I wonder what new techniques marketers will do to brush up their press screenshots...

Simpsons
X-Men did it. It's just an accepted part of the comic medium now that stealing someone's powers gives you some of their memories, personality, or dancing skills.

As for why it's displayed in comic book form, well... why not? Memory is imperfect. You don't really access your memories as a grainy movie reel or something, either. You can basically choose to portray it through whatever medium gets you going. To some degree it makes sense to not use the same medium for memory and live events, and it's an artistic choice that's made pretty often to convey the fact that memory is experienced differently compared to events in real time.

Yeah it's not the comic theme I have an issue with, I really like those segments. But stuff like Cole finding out where a person died by reading their brain to see their last moments, is just like, lolwuuut? Maybe he charges their brain with electrical energy to access their memories?

With the game looking like "a moving bullshot", I wonder what new techniques marketers will do to brush up their press screenshots...

Yeah it's not the comic theme I have an issue with, I really like those segments. But stuff like Cole finding out where a person died by reading their brain to see their last moments, is just like, lolwuuut? Maybe he charges their brain with electrical energy to access their memories?

Remember,
If Cole would haved lived long enough he would have got the same powers Kessler had. Including Time Travel.

Yeah. They probably could have dropped the "heal civilian" thing altogether, now that I really stop and think about it. There's some mild use in it when it comes to cleaning up collateral damage to avoid losing too much Good Karma, but you could just reduce the amount of Good Karma needed for each level to balance it out.

By the time you get the third power and unlock all the open world events, it's a negligible source of Karma, anyway. It's basically just there because it was in prior games.

anddo0

Good run in the books. I'm going to start my evil run sometime this week.
I enjoyed it, not perfect. But a true taste of what's to come. Infamous remains one of my most beloved franchises. GG SP!

DigiMish

Lol, you're thinking about this too hard. Every time he sucks someone else's powers, he gets their memories. Done.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So that third power seems pretty useless compared to Neon. It looks cool and traversal is neat, but the only purpose to using it in combat is just to give myself more of a challenge it seems.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Lol, you're thinking about this too hard. Every time he sucks someone else's powers, he gets their memories. Done.

Yea but he's referring to Cole being able to see people's echoes, that's entirely different than Cole siphoning off the powers of others. Maybe it's Cole just being able to see the last remnants of someone's electrical activity. I think that's how it's eplained in Infamous 1.

Branson

Bit of a weird problem. I have my ps4 set to PCM. The rear channels don't pick up the sound for 5.1 if there is a sound directly behind Delsin and acts like there should be another rear speaker. If it's to the right left or right rear it places the sound there but it's like it's missing a center rear speaker. Setting it to Dolby or DTS lets the sounds come out like they should.

DigiMish

Yea but he's referring to Cole being able to see people's echoes, that's entirely different than Cole siphoning off the powers of others. Maybe it's Cole just being able to see the last remnants of someone's electrical activity. I think that's how it's eplained in Infamous 1.

Oh my bad - Cole. Yea, I think it was something like you posted. You can hurt your head about this left and right, but in the end it's just a Deus ex machina for a gameplay mechanic.

def sim

Alright, I have the platinum and Sony has sent me the $10 code for buying this on PSN. I'm fully content! I hope to see some significant DLC in the near future.

Lingitiz

So that third power seems pretty useless compared to Neon. It looks cool and traversal is neat, but the only purpose to using it in combat is just to give myself more of a challenge it seems.

The stealth is really helpful with some fights, and the melee is the most useful of all the powers. I found the traversal to be the fastest too once you get it fully upgraded, especially with the hover boost.

IKizzLE

I actually thought the third power was the strongest. Not only does it have the best heavy attack, it has the quickest traversal options. Coupled with the fact that the l1 power gives u infinite karma bombs, dying while using this power is pretty hard.

Top Bottom