• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Kyoufu

Finished my Hero playthrough last night. The story was decent, utterly predictable (I'm hoping the Infamous run has a few more twists), and pretty well acted. The last boss fight was stupid; I'm not looking forward to that crap on my expert playthrough.

After one completion, I'm sticking to me 7.5 -- above average, but a lot of wasted potential.

I thought it was easier on my Expert playthrough since I knew what to do. The last fight is really easy if
you save 20 or so Blast Shards to upgrade the powers you get

Levyne

Banned
Oh right.

How do you start the paper trail thing in game? I finished the prologue stuff, and now the site says to

"Find the Trail
Follow the white rabbit"

Though I'm sure it's been answered if I just google..

Started my evil run last night, basically a speed run. Main missions only, kill anything in my way, etc.

I gotta be honest, I almost wanted to stop because of how much a dick Delsin was to Betty on the phone and in the hospital.

Goddamn punk.

I'm basically going into my inFamous run like this:
I have no soul.

I thought it was easier on my Expert playthrough since I knew what to do. The last fight is really easy if

Ugh....I'm an idiot.
I had every blast shard and didn't upgrade my concrete for the final fight. I was so caught up in the boss battle I didn't think to go into the menu....WHY!!!

hydruxo

Oh right.

How do you start the paper trail thing in game? I finished the prologue stuff, and now the site says to

"Find the Trail
Follow the white rabbit"

Though I'm sure it's been answered if I just google..

You see that yellow icon on the site next to where it says that? Look for that icon on the map in-game.

zoukka

Played a few hours. Cleared the first area of the cops. Game is pretty easy so far, the enemies are frail and you can just avoid them to regen. Game looks amazing and performs pretty nicely. I wish they'd eliminated the judder though.

I don't really see the appeal of the open world map design yet. Had more fun in closed areas TBH. The story is pretty darn silly due to the "choices". No realism anywhere, which kinda doesn't mesh with the realistic presentation.

Ugh....I'm an idiot.
I had every blast shard and didn't upgrade my concrete for the final fight. I was so caught up in the boss battle I didn't think to go into the menu....WHY!!!
Same here lol. It never occurred to me to do that.

Well, my evil playthrough will go quite differently.

Same here lol. It never occurred to me to do that.

Well, my evil playthrough will go quite differently.

I'm 85% through my evil run, just 2 more missions to do. Honestly, I normally hate playing the bad guy in games but it's just so fun. It also feels...easier? Not sure if it's because I am just getting better or because the evil powers are stronger/easier to use. I just rolled
the He Who Dwells boss
with ease

vypek

When it came to the final boss fight,
I had already had all the blast shards. The damage reduction is helpful. The one on one fights with her where she was using the swirling rock barrier was kinda cool.

Played a few hours. Cleared the first area of the cops. Game is pretty easy so far, the enemies are frail and you can just avoid them to regen. Game looks amazing and performs pretty nicely. I wish they'd eliminated the judder though.

I don't really see the appeal of the open world map design yet. Had more fun in closed areas TBH. The story is pretty darn silly due to the "choices". No realism anywhere, which kinda doesn't mesh with the realistic presentation.

Don't worry, they provide
entirely too fucking many
non-frail enemies as the game goes on. There isn't a huge variety, but if there's one thing they aren't lacking it's "tanks".

Would have really liked it if more of the effort spent on the boss fights went to just making the regular enemy varieties better. They seem like whoever made them set out with the goal of giving them only the power to annoy, and succeeded.

Cubed

I think I died around 5-6 times during my entire second playthrough, which was on Expert. However, I probably died 25-30 times on my first run on "Normal." So you definitely get better the more you play the game. Combat strategies and knowing which powers do what really helps.

I was surprised how easy Expert was after struggling on Normal.

SeanR1221

I have to eat crow. I thought Delsin looked so dumb originally but I ended up really liking him.

Sony! Give me playstation all stars 2 so I can do Delsin vs Joel vs Iota.

oh man, the boss just before getting the 3rd power was one of the funnest ones i've had in awhile. this game is just great.

not to mention it has the best and most satisfying traversal i've had in any open world game.

This isn't an attack on you or others who have had this claim but I have to wonder if a lot of it is just user skill of the game?

I'm at 61% done but still only have the first two powers and early on I had those same thoughts, like why am I always having to run and hide to heal. As I played more I can tell I've gotten better and even with just the first two powers still I barely ever have to run and hide anymore. I've gotten so much better at staying in the thick of things but doing crowd control so much better and building up my super power and just unleashing hell on any remaining enemies in the area.

All I think you need to do is switch up your tactics and you might have a better time with combat. I've seen others post as well that they don't have to run and hide to regen either so to me with my own personal experience and others posting it I have to conclude that it's got to be user skill.

Traversing is unlike anything I've ever played in a game before and I think it's completely awesome. I can't even think how you would say it's a chore to get around anywhere? With neon you can get anywhere in the blink of an eye and it's super fun to combine jumping/floating with power bursts to get around.

I also only have the first 2 powers. And I've tired changing tactics many times. But enemies are shooting you from every corner, even the at the roof tops where your shots can't reach them. Not to mention those grunt like things that knock you off.

Spoiler here:

The mission where you're helping Fetch take out those drugs dealers boats was the more irritating. The area is poorly designed. The enemies can you shoot from every corner but you're shots just can't reach and you can't hover/ float far enough to make it without falling in the water. And if you fall in the water, you'll most likely spawn in the middle of two enemies shooting you. It took forever and was ridiculously annoying.

I still don't understand the video recording. I had a glitch where Delsin got hit by debris and flew into the air. I hit share and it was just a random 15 minutes from my last hour. Not the last 15 not even the first 15 just a random time.

NeoRausch

Hmm, any chance you can post a screen shot of the wallet screen with the cat name on it?

here you go:

infamouspapertrail169fq8.png

and that's it. and for reference, Boots he cat:
infamouspapertrailbaeb1.png

any idea?

Voidance

That's how I ended up beating it, actually. I had 10 shards at the time and put them to good use. It really cut down the frustration, but that fight still pissed me off at that point.

AwShucks

I will say this, after getting the third power and upgrading neon quite a bit I wish that smoke upgrades were better. Things that the other powers get like
slow down when aiming, auto hover when aiming, infinite neon run
are all great, it'd be cool if smoke had something like extended air dash distance or quicker hover/gliding movement and some sort of benefit when aiming.

Otherwise I'm loving the game.

I will say this, after getting the third power and upgrading neon quite a bit I wish that smoke upgrades were better. Things that the other powers get like
are all great, it'd be cool if smoke had something like extended air dash distance or quicker hover/gliding movement and some sort of benefit when aiming.

Smoke has some nice upgrades when you go down the evil route.

Finished the game and it is by far the worst Infamous yet,it's fun for a while but it is so woefully short and having no side missions doesn't help either,graphics are great though.

Perfect! I never finished either Infamous games because they were so long and so much to do. Now that I'm old I do really enjoy the 10-15 hour games more.

Mondy

Banned
Also, seriously bummed that evil doesn't have its own unique karma bombs. They had a chance to make them thematically more or less vicious depending on which side you were on but they didn't capitalize.

Hoodbury

here you go:

infamouspapertrail169fq8.png

and that's it. and for reference, Boots he cat:
infamouspapertrailbaeb1.png

any idea?

Hmm, not sure now.

I just went back and tried again and didn't worry about capitalizing or punctuation and it still let me log in. Even "meaty marthas" worked for that question.

Reaching here, but have you tried "Boats" for the cat name? That second 'o' almost looks like it could be an 'a' but I never heard of anyone calling their cat "boats" lol.

The only other thing would be to take a screen shot of your typed in answers before you press submit/enter so we can verify your spelling.

Did anyone say is the device ID different for everyone? If not I could just let you know what the mobile ID is for the phone.

Grisby

Am I getting near the end? Might try to beat it tonight. Have to go and confront
Augestine at her tower.

If I am though, man what a short feeling game.

KORNdoggy

I think they're trying to differentiate the powers, rather then each power having the same outcomes. Smoke being by far the most destructive and combat based. Neon more about precision and speed, and
video
more about traversal and stealth.
concrete
more about defense...i like the way they did it personally because i was worried they'd all function the same but just have a different visual effect, which i think would be pretty ass.

NeoRausch

Hmm, not sure now.

I just went back and tried again and didn't worry about capitalizing or punctuation and it still let me log in. Even "meaty marthas" worked for that question.

Reaching here, but have you tried "Boats" for the cat name? That second 'o' almost looks like it could be an 'a' but I never heard of anyone calling their cat "boats" lol.

The only other thing would be to take a screen shot of your typed in answers before you press submit/enter so we can verify your spelling.

Did anyone say is the device ID different for everyone? If not I could just let you know what the mobile ID is for the phone.

Tried Boats too. didn't work either...YIKES!

brunbergdetectiveagenw8c8n.png

First is 'Daughter'
Second is "Fast Food"
Third is 'Cat'

no idea abut the device ID, but i guess they are diffrent.

Hoodbury

yeah. i've allread tried that too. still gives me the error page. am i typing something wrong?

Ok, after re-reading this post by you I think it might be more something wrong with your browser. What browser are you using? The reason why I say that is because you say you're getting an error page and when I go back to that screen and enter jibberish in the fields to mimic answering the questions wrong I don't get an error page. It stays on the page and gives me a red frame around the text boxes and in red text underneath the text box it says "Invalid answer, try again".

So, maybe try a different browser or fiddle with your internet settings.

Paskil

I was definitely disappointed with the length of the game. It felt really short. The story was garbage too, IMO. I need to play through on evil since I might as well go for the inFamous platinum trophy trifecta. It might redeem itself in the next playthrough with the difficulty set to expert.

One had the story.
Two had the gameplay.
Three just feels lacking, all around.

Kind of wish I'd waited for the price to drop a bit. Especially after playing the superb South Park earlier this month.

I definitely agree with this game getting a 7 or less in some of the reviews.

NeoRausch

Ok, after re-reading this post by you I think it might be more something wrong with your browser. What browser are you using? The reason why I say that is because you say you're getting an error page and when I go back to that screen and enter jibberish in the fields to mimic answering the questions wrong I don't get an error page. It stays on the page and gives me a red frame around the text boxes and in red text underneath the text box it says "Invalid answer, try again".

So, maybe try a different browser or fiddle with your internet settings.

using chrome. but that error page I get is very specific and definitely not a chrome error page gonna try on firefox later

Never knew Bekraeft was a german word :D

me neither! gonna use that from now on! :D

I think what makes the game feel short is
it really feels like there should have been an arc between Eugene and the final one. You get Video Powers, then you hunt down Hank for one mission, Hank betrays you, and then it's the end of the game. So it's like 40 minutes to an hour between Eugene's loyalty mission, which feels like it should be the middle of the game, to climbing Augustine's tower.

Top Bottom