• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Third power R1 attack is super strong, especially on Evil.

Basically only on Evil. Practically the entire power set is locked on Good Karma. It's basically just not-really-flight and a mildly interesting melee attack if you're not Evil.

It ends up being really garbage compared to Neon's power to infinitely chain instant-speed, long-range Subdues for health recharges.

Vorheez

Just started playing this about 3 hours ago... what a breathtaking experience so far. I assume it only gets better, so how this game got 7s and 3s boggles my mind?

Perhaps it was my lack of hype, I truthfully did not like the first one and didn't bother with the second because of that. I am very pleasantly surprised so far though!

Vengal

He's transfusing the victim with his fast healing power. Or, somethings just aren't meant to be explained with super hero's or in video games. :p

I found it strange that you could heal people at all with any of his powers. Especially
Concrete, and Video
, likely just a game play concession since you could do it as Cole and picking up a hurt person is an easy Good choice.

Alchemy

Basically only on Evil. Practically the entire power set is locked on Good Karma. It's basically just not-really-flight and a mildly interesting melee attack if you're not Evil.

It ends up being really garbage compared to Neon's power to infinitely chain instant-speed, long-range Subdues for health recharges.

Third power was incredibly useful for me on my Hero run. L1 all day.

Portugeezer

Finished the game today, so good, very fun to use powers and it shows the potential of the PS4. But I did a lot of sidequests; I feel that the main story line would be very short. Was sad to see the final power only come at the end of the game, and not much time to play around with
the 3rd power.

A solid 7/10 from me.

potam

Banned
So does anyone else consider this game to be kind of challenging? I don't die too often, but some sections seem to require me to pop in for a second, use up all my energy, then run the fuck away to recharge.

Actually I do die a lot :(

Portugeezer

So does anyone else consider this game to be kind of challenging? I don't die too often, but some sections seem to require me to pop in for a second, use up all my energy, then run the fuck away to recharge.

Actually I do die a lot :(

Some parts aren't as tightly designed and you will need to do this (the Giantbomb quick looks is a good example of this), most of the times I was fine though.

farisr

Started the game a few days ago. Have played about 10 hours so far and just got to the second power (did the first batch of missions with it). Honestly, I pretty much got my money's worth with just the smoke powers, switching it up feels awesome.

The first good/evil missions just showed up, I was wondering where those were. Hoping those add some variety. So far, yeah, the side missions and even some of the story missions are indeed repetitive, I can see that criticism was valid in those reviews. Thankfully the game is a blast to play and you can do things in a variety of ways yourself so it doesn't get old, not yet anyway.

Gameplay is great, graphics are awesome, city is actually well populated at least for the good side anyways, no idea how the evil side effects the city population.

A couple of times already I've gone, okay I'm gonna "go make some food" or "iron my clothes for tomorrow" etc. in half an hour while playing this game, and next thing I know it's more than 2 hours later. LOL.

Third power was incredibly useful for me on my Hero run. L1 all day.

I hear people say this, but it just makes me think they didn't really use the other powers properly. If you need to take out a clump of weenies you can just L1 grenade them on Smoke and literally one-shot an entire drug bust or APC pack.

So you've got a powerset that's better at close-range combat with weenies, and a powerset that's better at long-range combat with weenies. The only real area for improvement is how they handle heavies, which admittedly the third power does slightly better than Neon (if only just barely, on Good), but honestly not as well as Smoke.

Like, playing through on Evil I can see now why someone would use it, because late game when packs of enemies are like 90% heavies Neon becomes increasingly inconvenient, but the Invisibility is honestly the least impressive part of the whole kit. Oh boy, two subdues, yippee. It's more of a crutch to get a quick heal from subdual than an actual selling point on the kit, especially compared to Neon and Smoke being able to heal you from accurately-aimed fire.

I suppose it's slightly better on Expert, too, if only because the enemies are such damage sponges. I'm not sure I can actually recommend Expert to anyone who isn't trophy-hunting, though; this is not a very fun way to play the game.

Cess007

I loved the game, beat it on both good and evil, but now there really is nothing to do. Anyone else feel the same?

Did you completed the Papers Trail missions too?? In my case i'm on the last mission - i think - in my Good playthrough. Can't wait to start playing as Evil; in my experience, playing as Evil in any infamous is 10x more fun!

Overall I thought it was a great game, I'd probably break it down as such:

Pros: Graphics, Combat, Traversal, Characters, Motion Capture, Animations.

Just Okay: Music, People walking around (Better than past infamous, but still not great).

Cons: Only 5 or 6 variations of UDP enemies, most side-missions got a little boring, Main missions got repetitive (thankfully combat was enjoyable enough to carry them) Characters were great but plot was weak at times would have liked more missions with side characters.

leng jai

I loved the game, beat it on both good and evil, but now there really is nothing to do. Anyone else feel the same?

Yeah, a lot of people feel the same. Lets be real though - if this game kept these visuals, had a longer more fleshed out campaign and a well realised, vast open world component it would have been in the "too good to be true" category. Remember guys, this is a launch window game.

Fbh

Started my evil playtrhough and damn... it's so much more fun being evil. You don't have to worry about a think and can just enjoy blowing stuff up with your powers.

Sadly you feel like a douche, specially with the first morality choice

goddamn where are these sign twirlers

Can anyone chime in as to which story is more satisfying? Evil or good karma?

The game was definitely made with good karma in mind, as it makes wider use of the games mechanics, and I guess I'd say the story had more closure.

But playing with bad karma is a more fun. It feels almost like DMC sometimes. The story is also a little more "shocking".

Can anyone chime in as to which story is more satisfying? Evil or good karma?

I liked Good better overall. "Good" Deslin isn't like Boyscout Shepard, he's still got his reproductive organs intact and still shoots straight and talks shit. "Evil" Deslin honestly feels really forced and over-the-top most of the time, even with the comic book aesthetic.

There are a few specific choices where the Evil option at least seems sensible in the moment, though, which is nice.

Portugeezer

They do a good job of splitting up the good and evil powers. I would have thought playing good would be boring, but it has some useful upgrades and mechanics. I was pleased.

Might replay as evil just so I can fuck everything up without a worry (accidentally helping people? Lol no)

Pimpwerx

I will say this, after getting the third power and upgrading neon quite a bit I wish that smoke upgrades were better. Things that the other powers get like
slow down when aiming, auto hover when aiming, infinite neon run
are all great, it'd be cool if smoke had something like extended air dash distance or quicker hover/gliding movement and some sort of benefit when aiming.

Otherwise I'm loving the game.
You can tell they spent time nerfing the powers to fit in with missions and boss fights. I only wish you got the option to acquire both good and evil powers post-game. A New Game+ feature would've been even better. I'd like a way to reset all the mobile centers so I can rampage with concrete. Of course, they'd have to restore all the other shards so we can upgrade everything. PEACE.

todahawk

fuck fuck fuck!
I've collected all blast shards except for one and i'm not missing the one in uptown that is campaign progress locked.

I'm missing one in Paramount and I've already destroyed the mobile DUP station but it's not showing any shards on the map. It says I have 1 tracker drone left but i've combed the area several times and i'm not finding anything or even hearing anything.

Am I screwed and looking at having to find them all on my next playthrough?

fuck fuck fuck!
I've collected all blast shards except for one and i'm not missing the one in uptown that is campaign progress locked.

I'm missing one in Paramount and I've already destroyed the mobile DUP station but it's not showing any shards on the map. It says I have 1 tracker drone left but i've combed the area several times and i'm not finding anything or even hearing anything.

Am I screwed and looking at having to find them all on my next playthrough?

Try checking the neighboring districts. There are a few drones with a patrol path that takes them outside of their "home" district, but they are still listed as being there on the little collectibles tally, even when they're physically in a different district.

Timu

Just beaten the game. Very good game that got better as you play along.

The final boss was graphically impressive.

Also, I redeemed the code for DLC, how do I access it?

Double D

Just beaten the game. Very good game that got better as you play along.

The final boss was graphically impressive.

Also, I redeemed the code for DLC, how do I access it?

It just showed up as a mission marker on the map. It's a yellow exclamation point. Come back in 15 minutes and tell us what you thought of it.

todahawk

Try checking the neighboring districts. There are a few drones with a patrol path that takes them outside of their "home" district, but they are still listed as being there on the little collectibles tally, even when they're physically in a different district.

thanks, i'll try that! much appreciated

Grinchy

Banned
I'm going to clear up everything I can except the Expert and Evil trophies. Then I'm going to go back to Dark Souls 2 and replay this in a month or 2 so it'll be sort of fresh again. Awesome game. I've been very happy with it.

I beat the shit out of this game. All I need is to finish the game in Evil Karma and Expert(One mission left). The game has flaws, but I can't get enough of it. I'm having too much fun with this game.

I do think the devs dropped the ball with how when you finish the game there isn't much to do and how the TIME OF DAY NEVER CHANGES.

I think they should have added in a feature when the game is over where the DUP will start to take back areas if you don't keep suppressing them.

Tip for double smoke stack attack trophy: find gangsters or drug dealers near one red vent. Go through it and move Delsin back and hover down slowly to the same vent. Go through it again right before hitting the ground. Then just hover to an area near the enemy and press square. Easy.

I beat the shit out of this game. All I need is to finish the game in Evil Karma and Expert(One mission left). The game has flaws, but I can't get enough of it. I'm having too much fun with this game.

Traversal feels so good when you look ahead while timing and spacing things correctly such as Smoke Vents, Neon Jumps, and
Video Glides

Traversal feels so good when you look ahead while timing and spacing things correctly such as Smoke Vents, Neon Jumps, and
Video Glides
Oh yeah, if there's one thing this game does it's make you feel like a badass because you just flew several hundred feet, dropped and landed on the exact ledge you were hoping to land on.

That's almost more satisfying than timing
invisibility
perfectly and taking down a horde of DUP.

Dommel

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and the game is dirt cheap here (400hkd which is about €40).

Will I have problems buying the eventual DLC from the EU store?

Just beat the game with the Evil ending.

Holy shit. O_O

Yeah, shit gets real. Hell, it got real before the ending.
That decision to kill him as he listened to his daughter call out though...fuck

Oh yeah, if there's one thing this game does it's make you feel like a badass because you just flew several hundred feet, dropped and landed on the exact ledge you were hoping to land on.

That's almost more satisfying than timing
invisibility
perfectly and taking down a horde of DUP.

I was lost as hell about this when I first got it for some reason lol

Top Bottom