• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

So I have to wait a month to get through this paper trail stuff? Is there a power you get from it? If so what is the point of a new powee with nothing to use it on

Huggers

Initial thoughts. Spray can in the controller = awesome. The bloke not being able to swim = dog shit. Game already looks great, so crisp

ChrisW

Anyone else's game not loading? Started my good play through this morning and worked fine, but try now and I'm stuck looking at the initial two birds logo. Tried closing app and turning off PS but nothing....

Ok so when I try come back to menu when game freezes I can't move the menu around, the PS button and camera button work, but nothing else.

When I don't load the game up the menu works fine but I tried to delete an auto save file and after it did, again the buttons wouldn't work apart from PS and camera button

you know for all this game's flaws and there's quite a few it's still turning out to be some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. After I platinum this I'm probably gonna give infamous 1 and 2 another go for platinums there and I really hope that the framework Sucker Punch has set in place with inFamous on PS4 helps them craft a longer and more varied game on their next go-around.

My biggest issue by far with the inFamous series continues to be its binary ass Karma system. Obviously outside of a select few players you're gonna pick one persuasion and stick with it the entire game. I don't know why the game doesn't simply give the player one time to choose - once you absorb your first power - whether or not this will be the story of Hero Delsin or Infamous Delsin. IMO they ought to either do that so they can shake up the narrative a bit more throughout, or offer up some significant shakeup with how the Karma system functions through the game.

The lack of enemy variety wasn't too much of a big deal for me because I got a lot of milage and some pretty varied encounters out of different combinations of those same enemy types in different portions of the city. Each locale sort of shook up my playstyle a little bit; early on in my playthrough I resolved to try and avoid leaving combat to heal and so I got real used to manipulating my local environment for split-second dodges to cover, avoidance of heavies while picking off the little guys, quick ascensions for melee drops, etc. The combat system is super fun but it's not exactly deep and I never feel like I'm really being challenged on a deep level by the game. It's big dumb beautiful fun but it needs something more. Story was a little weak and none of the supporting characters are given anywhere near enough on-screen time but I've got no doubt that that's gonna change for the next installment considering it's the game's most widespread criticism.

Grinchy

Banned
I kinda wish you didn't have to do the spray-painting thing 100 times. It was kinda cool at first but after a while I dreaded having to do them.

NeonDelta

How do you climb the final tower after you finished the game? I want to get the 170m comet trophy but can't seem to climb the tower anymore

T.O.P

Banned
Ok just finished my "good" playthrough

Game was all around awesome, shame about the missed plot development though, i mean you crate so many good characters but give so little background or time to know them, big missed opportunity on that

Delsin was awesome anyway

I would've also liked to see a longer campaign, less extra stuff and meaty missions

Solid 8.5 for me, i'll give a go to the evil side next week and tomorrow i'll finish all the side quest stuff :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I kinda wish you didn't have to do the spray-painting thing 100 times. It was kinda cool at first but after a while I dreaded having to do them.

It wasn't cool the first time. It was horrible the first time and it was even more horrible the hundredth time. Thankfully if you play on Vita remote play it skips that bullshit.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't cool the first time. It was horrible the first time and it was even more horrible the hundredth time. Thankfully if you play on Vita remote play it skips that bullshit.
Just out of curiosity; why do you think they're horrible? They're short and get you a look at some nice artwork, what's to hate aside from having to do all of them in succession if you didn't do any of them before finishing the rest of the side content?

hydruxo

Is the CARnage trophy glitched or does it require very specific circumstances?

Honestly its probably easier to just play the game naturally and you'll get it fairly quickly if you regularly take on the DUP apc trucks in the street. Just use your cinder missiles with the smoke power and it's fairly easy.

Lucent

But...but...JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOO!

Lol I didn't think they were that bad. I always looked forward to what he would paint and some of the drawings on the cardboard boxes he used were funny.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just out of curiosity; why do you think they're horrible? They're short and get you a look at some nice artwork, what's to hate aside from having to do all of them in succession if you didn't do any of them before finishing the rest of the side content?

What's horrible about turning the controller sideways and shaking it up and down for a while until the tag is sprayed? You're seriously asking that question? You're asking what's horrible about gimmicky motion controls. You're asking what's horrible about waggle. That question has been answered by a great many people since 2006.

Lucent

What's horrible about turning the controller sideways and shaking it up and down for a while until the tag is sprayed? You're seriously asking that question? You're asking what's horrible about gimmicky motion controls. You're asking hwhat's horrible about waggle. That question has been answered by a great many people since 2006.

The difference to me is that this is the very same motion you would use to actually spray a wall, right? Do you not want to be an artist? C'mon, bro. lol

Sai-kun

Banned
What's horrible about turning the controller sideways and shaking it up and down for a while until the tag is sprayed? You're seriously asking that question? You're asking what's horrible about gimmicky motion controls. You're asking what's horrible about waggle. That question has been answered by a great many people since 2006.

jesus christ you are really upset about this

NeonDelta

Now to start the game on expert and get the good karma trophies, then I've platinum'd it. Probably should have done good karma on normal though, as I imagine bad karma is a lot easier to build up

Lucent

Blame every developer that traumatised me with their shitty motion control gimmicks as soon as Wii got big. 8 years later and it's still hurting games. I have every right to be upset. We all do.

Well I'm only upset when it doesn't make sense. To me, this makes sense. You hold a can upright and you wave it in a motion to spray over the stuff you want to fill in. And there is usually nothing there to bother you while you do it.

Now to start the game on expert and get the good karma trophies, then I've platinum'd it. Probably should have done good karma on normal though, as I imagine bad karma is a lot easier to build up
I think good karma is easier even though you can't destroy everything because of neon + time slowing + healing makes things way easier and faster than running and hiding or trying to drain somethinf for health

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I'm only upset when it doesn't make sense. To me, this makes sense. You hold a can upright and you wave it in a motion to spray over the stuff you want to fill in. And there is usually nothing there to bother you while you do it.

Doesn't make sense to me. To me it's a gimmick that's only there so they could have an excuse to throw in some random usage for the light bar. It makes about as much sense as Uncharted Golden Abyss forcing you to hold the Vita up to a bright light. It was there for one reason and one reason only. So it would use one of the new features of the system.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to hold the controller sideways. You only need to shake it while holding it sideways once, then you can proceed to hold the controller as you normally would for the rest of the process. You just need to take one hand of the controller for one second, shake the controller sideways once (you don't even need to move your other hand or fingers for that), and then you can hold the controller as normal again. Aiming by tilting the Dualshock makes much more sense than having that action done by any other button on the controller. This is one of the least intrusive 'motion gimmicks' I have ever encountered in any game and it actually enhances the 'experience' simply through doing a great job of simulating what your character is doing.

And yes, you can make art this way. You can actually replicate most, if not all, of the tags in the game, you just need to make the cardboard cutouts for them.

Honestly its probably easier to just play the game naturally and you'll get it fairly quickly if you regularly take on the DUP apc trucks in the street. Just use your cinder missiles with the smoke power and it's fairly easy.

I've already finished it and never got it. I'll try on my evil play through.

Kuldar

Doesn't make sense to me. To me it's a gimmick that's only there so they could have an excuse to throw in some random usage for the light bar. It makes about as much sense as Uncharted Golden Abyss forcing you to hold the Vita up to a bright light. It was there for one reason and one reason only. So it would use one of the new features of the system.
You should stop buying consoles who have features you don't like. Or don't buy the first party games of those consoles since it's a given that they will use those features.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You don't need to hold the controller sideways. You only need to shake it while holding it sideways once, then you can proceed to hold the controller as you normally would for the rest of the process. You just need to take one hand of the controller for one second, shake the controller sideways once (you don't even need to move your other hand or fingers for that), and then you can hold the controller as normal again. Aiming by tilting the Dualshock makes much more sense than having that action done by any other button on the controller. This is one of the least intrusive 'motion gimmicks' I have ever encountered in any game and it actually enhances the 'experience'.

And yes, you can make art this way. You can actually replicate most, if not all, of the tags in the game, you just need to make the cardboard cutouts for them.

You seem to be under the impression that I think spraying would have been good on the analog stick. Oh no. You misunderstand. Whatever the method of control it was a pointless shitty minigame that added absolutely nothing of value to the game. But that motion control bullshit is the reason that minigame is there in the first place. That's my issue. They put a shitty minigame in there just so they would have an excuse to add something with motion controls in the game.

Lucent

lol. The bright light thing sounds ridiculous. But yeah the gimmicky stuff will probably die down/off like Sixaxis. Some devs seem to be using the touchpad as just extra buttons. Ground Zeroes has you press the right side down for a map and left side down for pause. That's not bad.

spy.gif

Makes me wish for a new Jet Set Radio, though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think you're confused about what the strip of light is for.

Maybe I am. I just assumed it was using the lightbar for aiming because you can't do the minigame when doing Vita remote play. Why exactly does it skip the minigame on Vita then? I mean the Vita does have gyro controls.

I don't think the "gimmic" uses the light bar. I think it's just using the basic six-axis stuff. Doesn't lightbar use need the camera?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
lol. The bright light thing sounds ridiculous. But yeah the gimmicky stuff will probably die down/off like Sixaxis. Some devs seem to be using the touchpad as just extra buttons. Ground Zeroes has you press the right side down for a map and left side down for pause. That's not bad.

spy.gif

Makes me wish for a new Jet Set Radio, though.

You know what's even worse about the bright light thing? Ubisoft saw that one shitty part of Uncharted and thought is was such a fantastic idea that they would copy it for their Assassins Creed game! Except instead of it just being one section you have to do it god knows how many times throughout the game. It was hell. I'll say this much. I don't hate the spray tag stuff in this game anywhere near as much as I hated that holding Vita up to a bright light gimmick.

But yeah...JET SET RADIOOOO! I woulddn't say no to another JSR game. Now the way spray tagging in that game was handled was fine by me. Then again that was the entire concept of the game so I should bloody well hope so lol.

Maybe I am. I just assumed it was using the lightbar for aiming because you can't do the minigame when doing Vita remote play. Why exactly does it skip the minigame on Vita then? I mean the Vita does have gyro controls.

It's a minigame wherein the controller is meant to be held sideways. I mean you don't have to play it that way but why wouldn't they skip it outright on the Vita when turning the controller sideways would turn the screen to a different orientation as well? Even doing it landscape would probably not translate too well when you're spraypainting on the screen using the screen.

The lightbar doesn't really have much to do with it it's all gyro controls

The spraypainting is not that bad but like it's not that good, it's just there, it's the definition of obvious padding even if it's pretty and I appreciated the option to skip the motion control outright using Vita. I don't think it's hurting the game so much as the side content design in general is

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a minigame wherein the controller is meant to be held sideways. I mean you don't have to play it that way but why wouldn't they skip it outright on the Vita when turning the controller sideways would turn the screen to a different orientation as well? Even doing it landscape would probably not translate too well when you're spraypainting on the screen using the screen.

The lightbar doesn't really have much to do with it it's all gyro controls

The spraypainting is not that bad but like it's not that good, it's just there, it's the definition of obvious padding even if it's pretty and I appreciated the option to skip the motion control outright using Vita. I don't think it's hurting the game so much as the side content design in general is

Oh god I'm an idiot. Of course that's why it skips the minigame on Vita. Of course the method of aiming wouldn't translate well when the screen is on the controller and not the tv. And I agree with that last sentence. The side content in general is pretty weak. The spray tagging minigame is no worse than the hidden camera side missions. It's all nothing but padding.

jadedm17

Just finished the game for a second time with Evil karma on expert difficulty. It really feels like they could have done so much more with this.
(stuff)
This is still a great / fun game, but they just could have done so much more stuff with this...

This is pretty much how I feel : I love the game, there's some great ideas, but the more I think about it the more I think there could have been... more. Everything you mention would have been great additions, as well as the [already mentioned] GTA-style wanted level as you cause more mayhem, or FarCry-style retaking of territories.

Protip : Don't clear out the towers, it leaves nothing to do with your last power.

Carl

Blame every developer that traumatised me with their shitty motion control gimmicks as soon as Wii got big. 8 years later and it's still hurting games. I have every right to be upset. We all do.

Personally i thought it was gimmicky as hell the first time and a shitty start to the game. But it ended up being one of my favourite things.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is pretty much how I feel : I love the game, there's some great ideas, but the more I think about it the more I think there could have been... more. Everything you mention would have been great additions, as well as the [already mentioned] GTA-style wanted level as you cause more mayhem, or FarCry-style retaking of territories.

Protip : Don't clear out the towers, it leaves nothing to do with your last power.

There isn't really much to do with your last power anyway to be honest. It's easily the worst power in the game.

KingJ2002

True... the tagging in the game is difficult and not fun with the controller sideways... but i've always just turned it back around and the game adjusted. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Lucent

Oh god I'm an idiot. Of course that's why it skips the minigame on Vita. Of course the method of aiming wouldn't translate well when the screen is on the controller and not the tv. And I agree with that last sentence. The side content in general is pretty weak. The spray tagging minigame is no worse than the hidden camera side missions. It's all nothing but padding.

Those hidden camera missions were actually kind of fun for me. Because they were only done once in each area and didn't reappear in the same place like drug busts did. Only a few of the cameras were tricky though. Most of them I could almost find right on the spot.

Secret agent missions were extremely simple after getting neon.

But yeah they definitely need to upgrade the side missions next time. I actually rather them just make some good story-based side missions than the repeated stuff. I'm just glad it never went Assassin's Creed level of collecting stuff. That stuff is so bad. Collect 50 flags in one area. Nope. Not worth it for a "cheevo" or trophy. I play for "tangible" and useful in-game stuff like maybe a costume or weapon.

Pop

True... the tagging in the game is difficult and not fun with the controller sideways... but i've always just turned it back around and the game adjusted. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Just no. How in the world is turning the controller vertical all of a sudden make it hard. C'mon guys haha

So paper trail part 2 is up in game but not on the website. Hmm

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Forgive me if my criticism is redundant as i only got the game yesterday ..but does anyone else find the climbing (without powers) up buildings much more frustrating than in the previous games?

Top Bottom