• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

todahawk

I like the third one a lot, since I like to get around from rooftop to rooftop and it allows me to rarely drop to street level if ever. It's also good for harder fights on extreme difficulty, since the first skill allows you to recover a bit more easily. I dislike the fourth one though. Don't really see what it works best for (probably fighting, but the others felt sufficient there), comes way to late in the game and is not nearly as cool as I expected.

*bro fist*
yep, agreed. even at street level with teh third power i don't feel restricted.

PaulloDEC

Not sure how I feel about the third power. Not sure if I'm still missing some upgrades but I don't see a possibility to instantly subdue enemies through combat like shooting an enemy's foot with Neon or through Smoke headshots.

What is everyone else's favourite power and why?

For combat, Smoke. Love Delsin's chain, love the charge-shot, love instant-subdue headshots, love the Orbital Drop, etc.

For tearing around the place like a maniac and running circles around drug dealers while ankle-shot-subduing them, Neon.

For getting there
hella-fast
and when I can't be bothered with hands-on combat,
Video.

For the bitchin'
Concrete Jump
and the tactile feeling of slamming enemies with
a stream of cement shrapnel, Concrete.

genbatzu

Evil Ending Spoiler

I hope Evil Ending is Canon and in Infamous 4 you play as Cole and Delsin is the bad guy, would be epic

oh yes please, the good ending
is so lame and doesn't make much sense anyway. I liked the bad ending more, it was kind of... sad, but made more sense.

Aesthet1c

How in the world are you guys getting the trophy to comet drop on 3 coughing enemies?

It seems like they are never grouped up enough to get 3 coughing, and even if I do manage that, I run in and comet drop but can't hit all 3.

ohNOitsRO

Yeah, the third power is definitely the strongest of the three and easily the quickest to travel with.... Soooo I don't know what some people in here are saying...

the video machine gun-esque firing rate rapes any DUP quicker than the other two powers (before concrete), and the heavy attack is a homing missile essentially... So easy to take out helicopters and heavily guarded DUP dudes..

Also, the gliding with it has the same dash as smoke, and the same upgrade that let's you use it twice AND you can fly up walls like neon

So yeah, definitely the third is the strongest
until concrete at least
and definitely the best travel power

Kuldar

How in the world are you guys getting the trophy to comet drop on 3 coughing enemies?

It seems like they are never grouped up enough to get 3 coughing, and even if I do manage that, I run in and comet drop but can't hit all 3.
Did you try with drug dealers?

KORNdoggy

Yeah, the third power is definitely the strongest of the three and easily the quickest to travel with.... Soooo I don't know what some people in here are saying...

the video machine gun-esque firing rate rapes any DUP quicker than the other two powers (before concrete), and the heavy attack is a homing missile essentially... So easy to take out helicopters and heavily guarded DUP dudes..

Also, the gliding with it has the same dash as smoke, and the same upgrade that let's you use it twice AND you can fly up walls like neon

until concrete at least

i have to disagree in regards to the default attack. if your aim is up to scratch neon can kill DUP much faster then
video
since it's a single headshot. the only instance where that isn't true is the heavy's.

Namikaze1

Well, I got mine's through sheer luck. Spoilers just in case:
I got mine while on my way to Augustine's Tower for the final face-off. There were three guards and a bunch of civilians on a bridge you need to cross to get to the second Island. Since I was playing evil, I didn't care about civilian casualties. From the building across, I threw the smoke grenade and followed Ito with a comet drop. Turns out, I only killed two DUPs and most of the civilians. Still got the trophy.

Artex

Banned
Oh that's a good idea. I didn't realize I could do it on non-DUP people.

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

To get that I threw a bunch of the smoke into a crowd of enemies from a high roof. The comet drop was powerful enough from the height to be no problem to hit all of them.

EDIT:Specifically I just attacked a patrol vehicle and threw smoke all around it as they got out, and charged up comet drop near the back of the vehicle.

ohNOitsRO

i have to disagree in regards to the default attack. if your aim is up to scratch neon can kill DUP much faster then
video
since it's a single headshot. the only instance where that isn't true is the heavy's.

Yeah I just never had any problems with the regular guards since they die fast anyway, and the heavy guarded dudes could be/were a pain on expert, so I just found
video
to be better overall but I agree that it is slightly faster on the lesser armored ones

Dynedom

Enjoyed the game but it's an 8.5/10 (unless the evil playthrough raises the score somewhat).

Finished with
-Max Good Karma on Normal difficulty
-All sidequests/missions done
-Some odd other trophies

Need to do an Evil Karma playthrough on Expert now and pick up miscellaneous trophies.

The story was good. I do miss the InFamous 1-esque twist but it was a decent enough story. I enjoyed the characters and interactions. Delsin is a great main character and the voice acting was great, I thought. His chemistry with just about every other character (especially Reggie) felt really natural. I loved their back and forth. Fetch and
Eugene
were interesting characters and I do like going down the road of redeeming. Made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Killing Hank on my Evil Playthrough is going to be tough.

Side missions were awful. Repetitive and un-intertesting (with the exception of the Stencil Art, which I actually found fun).

Boss fights were okay but I personally thought the
Eugene and stone guardian fight (after you confront Augustine about not having Neo powers)
were obnoxious as hell.

In terms of the traversal. I still so miss InFamous 1's free-running (never played 2) but I think once you get
Neo and Video powers
traversal becomes a lot of fun and was a true "next-gen" experience for me. The effects and speed are just awesome.

I don't remember much about the InFamous 1 final battle (in terms of gameplay / difficulty) but I think it was much harder than Second Son's. That being said, this final battle was fine enough. I did like the intensity of
being powerless and gradually becoming stronger as the battle progresses.

Can't wait to do my Evil playthrough and see how the story branches out.

Raptor

until concrete at least

That sounds insane, gotta give it a few upgrades then, I just got it :p

Kaswa101

oh yes please, the good ending
is so lame and doesn't make much sense anyway. I liked the bad ending more, it was kind of... sad, but made more sense.

I disagree. Although the good ending was predictable, the evil one felt out of place for Delsin and just... somewhat forced. Ending spoilers:
Realistically, I couldn't believe that he was evil enough to take over Seattle and kill his own tribe. Felt overly-dramatic to me, since he only really made like, what, four bad decisions in the game? Most of which weren't even Cole-levels of cruelty.

inFamous 2 spoilers:
At least Cole becoming the Beast and taking over the world was more believable, since he was kind of a dick throughout the game, regardless of good or bad, whereas Delsin felt more moral and chilled.

Either way, looking forward to a sequel, hopefully. Or a new IP. Whatever SP does, I'll be there.

Ricker

Not really liking this...I mean I should of known,I never finished the first 2 Infamous,the constant barrage of shots fired at you from all directions from a mile away get on my nerve..I tried it out hoping they would of tamed this but it's actually worst this time...I mean it looks awesome and all,just not my type of gameplay I guess...might trade this in while I can still get 40-45 bucks for it and grab Reaper of Souls...

Ephemeris

Putting the shards and the side missions on the map is a blessing and a curse. I don't even have the second power and I'm 4/5 (?) on the good side, with 54 shards to spend . No upgrades available for Smoke anymore. :(

tensuke

Not sure how I feel about the third power. Not sure if I'm still missing some upgrades but I don't see a possibility to instantly subdue enemies through combat like shooting an enemy's foot with Neon or through Smoke headshots.

What is everyone else's favourite power and why?

The third power imo takes the best of the first two.

I'll just put it all in spoiler tags so I can speak freely:

Smoke is pretty good for combat, but not so much getting around. Rockets shoot instantly, which is helpful when you don't have time to charge a shot, and you really take for granted once you switch to Neon and suddenly have to charge heavy attacks. You can also shoot basic projectiles fairly rapidly. Plus you have cinder/obliterating blasts for extra firepower. Moving around isn't so great, since you can't go up most of the time, just fly forward. You can jump off cars and go up through vents but those aren't always conveniently available.

With Neon, you have greater traversal. You can go up things, and even run infinitely, which makes getting around a piece of cake. If you want to go from building to building though, you'll find that you can't fly forward as you could with Smoke, rather you drop when trying to use the Neon dash. For fighting, the heavy projectile takes a little bit to charge up, which can take too long allowing an enemy to hit you first. The head/leg targeting is nice, but requires you to really aim for a specific spot which can get you into trouble with multiple guys shooting at you at once. And the stasis bubble is pretty similar to the smoke bomb, both incapacitate enemies in a small radius for a few seconds giving you time to take them out.

But Video is great with both. Moving around, you can fly up buildings like with Neon but also go long distances like with Smoke. And by chaining Airwave and Double Air Surge, you can go very long distances while staying high in the air. As for fighting, your basic projectile shoots very rapidly (you can even hold it down) and uses little power, which makes it easy to spray enemies. You can also upgrade the range and accuracy with evil karma. The heavy projectile, the swords, don't need you to charge as does Neon, and their damage can be upgraded to make them stronger than Smoke/Neon missiles (not to mention they stick to enemies). Plus, you can go invisible, which gives you time to replenish health or sneak around taking out enemies with ease. And when you go invisible, you can have angels/demons come out and help fight for you.

As for "instantly subduing enemies like with headshots/legshots",
you just have to go invisible and go up to the enemy, then hit triangle or square to subdue them. No aim required, and with good karma you can do it twice before needing to go invisible again.

Not really liking this...I mean I should of known,I never finished the first 2 Infamous,the constant barrage of shots fired at you from all directions from a mile away get on my nerve..I tried it out hoping they would of tamed this but it's actually worst this time...I mean it looks awesome and all,just not my type of gameplay I guess...might trade this in while I can still get 40-45 bucks for it and grab Reaper of Souls...

Crap... this is exactly what i was afraid of. You sound exactly like me in that i never finished the first two and was annoyed with the repetitiveness... is SS really like the first 2 in that respect!? I want to play it... its damn gorgeous :(

Levito

Banned
So does anyone else find the evil route easier than the good route?

Finished good on normal, now on expert as evil, feels a lot easier despite the higher difficulty.

Atlas157

Finished good on normal, now on expert as evil, feels a lot easier despite the higher difficulty.

I felt the same way. I died a lot less on Expert during my evil playthrough.
He Who Dwells
was a peace of cake. I died twice during his fight on Normal but not once on Expert.

Yeah.

He was like "You and me are done" and I was like "WTF? Are you talking to me?". Caught me off guard :)

"You know what, buddy. You and I have been through a lot, but I gotta tell you. Officially, we're done."

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game for a second time with Evil karma on expert difficulty. It really feels like they could have done so much more with this.

SPECULATION / STORY + POWER SPOILERS

Why not a line of side missions only available for good karma players in which you help the police and Reggie track down a serial killer? The detective stuff is right there in the main game, so are the cops, and it would give you some more stuff to do with Reggie or at least the police, who don't really do anything at all at the moment.

Why doesn't the presence of drug dealers / activists / Akula shrink after having done the missions to take them down? Why no side mission in which you try and take over the news station with another character? Why no missions with Fetch and Eugene beyond their one story mission?

Why don't we get the awesome concrete powers the normal DUP have, like the launch and shield? Why doesn't concrete have a karma bomb? Why don't they open up a new side mission line after obtaining it that would at least give you something to do with it.

Why have the entire 'twist' told to you out of nowhere in a cutscene during the final battle instead of building it up from the beginning with hints throughout the story? Why is there only one single mission between your first encounter with Augustine and the final fight?

This is still a great / fun game, but they just could have done so much more stuff with this...

tensuke

I think it's because you're much more experienced this time around, you know the quirks of the enemies/bosses, and you've mastered certain strategies. Whereas in your first playthrough it took time to learn what you were best at, how skills worked, gain mastery of certain techniques, enemy patterns, and figure out how different boss fights worked. I did the same, good/normal then evil/expert, and found it much easier the second time around too.

edit: ^ Well there is the Paper Trail mission, which will be updated every week for another month, and you track down a killer there.
Also, by twist, do you mean Augustine's backstory?
Otherwise, I agree with you on the rest. Having a
Concrete Karma Bomb
would be cool, as well as
some more upgrades or a mission to use it with. After I beat the game the first time, I had already 100%'d it, so not much reason to use it other than to fight the roaming DUPs. Postgame missions would have been nice.

Past

Any tips on taking over a DUP mobile command on expert? I try to take down all the cameras and turrets first, but I keep getting shot from every direction while doing so. And does blowing up the ammo crates actually do anything?

Huggers

I thought Infamous was utterly dull yet I jumped in with this earlier. My PS4 needs some attention. Hope I like it more than it's predecessors. Will report back!

Neofx

Crap... this is exactly what i was afraid of. You sound exactly like me in that i never finished the first two and was annoyed with the repetitiveness... is SS really like the first 2 in that respect!? I want to play it... its damn gorgeous :(

I never finished the first 2, stopped halfway through both of them. But SS i've actually finished twice (good&evil) and got the platinum trophy. It was a complete surprise to me, it really is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

I never finished the first 2, stopped halfway through both of them. But SS i've actually finished twice (good&evil) and got the platinum trophy. It was a complete surprise to me, it really is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

Oh, good to hear! What's the majority of the gameplay like? From what i've seen it seems like you just attach these check points and installations etc. Is there any tactical or stealth stuff or is this all over the top run in to area X kill/subdue eveyone... go to area Y kill/subdue everyone over and over?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it, Hero run. Overall surprisingly disappointing. If you look past the visuals the game is remarkably shallow. The powers never really clicked with me like in the previous games because they don't pack the punch electricity did. It's all "pew pew pew I'm shooting sparkles", it lacks the intensity of the electric grenades, vortex shield and hurling cars from the previous two games. I mean, if you shoot someone in the head with a bolt of electricity that's some serious business. But neon? Not really. Also, the
4th
power is complete bullshit, this game really has only
three
powers.

From a narrative perspective the game starts strong but ultimately goes nowhere. It introduces several characters but doesn't really do anything with it. The relationship between Delsin and
neon girl felt extremely weird, out of nowhere there is heavy romance implied
but the game moves on and it fades away just as quick.
The way Delsin turns into a "hero" is laughable, people are cheering literally 10 minutes after you enter Seattle.
Also missed a "home". Does Delsin sleep on the streets or something? Why is there no "home"? The previous two had homes, they were simple as all hell but at least it was something with personality.

This game is clearly made with a lot of love and it shows in the animations, the voice acting and motion capture [which looked frightningly real at times], how the city is crafted. But ultimately it's an extremely static cardboard box. NPCs are shallow and barely react to anything that's going on [or not at all when they're scripted to sit on chairs or whatever], the traffic is as on-rails as it gets without any form of dynamic response to anything that's going on. Lifeless.

The most disappointing thing for me is that the game is just plain boring. Missions boil down to "fight these 50 dudes in this moshpit", the sidemissions are extremely weak and repetitive and the drug busts respawn so fast you quickly stop doing them because it's literally useless other than to score a quick karma point or two.

I could write some more but I don't want to rant. It's not a bad game, it has its charm for sure, but I'm just so disappointed.

The Goat

Finally got to put in a few solid hours. Really like the city exploration, but combat is a bit lacking. Mostly due to fighting the same enemies over and over. My strategy really never changes.

Most fun so far, combat-wise, has been the
Showdown's with DUP
At least they are more of a challenge. Have cleared 2 districts completely, and plan to do that for each one, before continuing main story missions.

Also, one thing that really bugged me
after destroying the antennae on the Space Needle, it puts you back at ground level?! WTF. I wanted to jump off :( lol

Grisby

Yes. There is still a lot of that, although you can escape easier thanks to powers and perform takedowns to heal.

Also there are a lot less dudes on screen.

Kuro

The third power imo takes the best of the first two.

I'll just put it all in spoiler tags so I can speak freely:

Smoke is pretty good for combat, but not so much getting around. Rockets shoot instantly, which is helpful when you don't have time to charge a shot, and you really take for granted once you switch to Neon and suddenly have to charge heavy attacks. You can also shoot basic projectiles fairly rapidly. Plus you have cinder/obliterating blasts for extra firepower. Moving around isn't so great, since you can't go up most of the time, just fly forward. You can jump off cars and go up through vents but those aren't always conveniently available.

With Neon, you have greater traversal. You can go up things, and even run infinitely, which makes getting around a piece of cake. If you want to go from building to building though, you'll find that you can't fly forward as you could with Smoke, rather you drop when trying to use the Neon dash. For fighting, the heavy projectile takes a little bit to charge up, which can take too long allowing an enemy to hit you first. The head/leg targeting is nice, but requires you to really aim for a specific spot which can get you into trouble with multiple guys shooting at you at once. And the stasis bubble is pretty similar to the smoke bomb, both incapacitate enemies in a small radius for a few seconds giving you time to take them out.

But Video is great with both. Moving around, you can fly up buildings like with Neon but also go long distances like with Smoke. And by chaining Airwave and Double Air Surge, you can go very long distances while staying high in the air. As for fighting, your basic projectile shoots very rapidly (you can even hold it down) and uses little power, which makes it easy to spray enemies. You can also upgrade the range and accuracy with evil karma. The heavy projectile, the swords, don't need you to charge as does Neon, and their damage can be upgraded to make them stronger than Smoke/Neon missiles (not to mention they stick to enemies). Plus, you can go invisible, which gives you time to replenish health or sneak around taking out enemies with ease. And when you go invisible, you can have angels/demons come out and help fight for you.

As for "instantly subduing enemies like with headshots/legshots",
you just have to go invisible and go up to the enemy, then hit triangle or square to subdue them. No aim required, and with good karma you can do it twice before needing to go invisible again.

That's actually a problem I have with the game, the made the third power too strong in comparison with the others. I still prefer to use smoke in combat and you can get by with any power but the third is just insane.

I agree. It's frustrating because SP build an ambitious foundation, but didn't maximize its potential.

I would chalk that up to launch time pressures. I think SP spent a lot of time building the engine and the mechanics less time on the actual missions and plot. I think the next infamous will have a jump in quality similar to AC1 -> AC2

Vibranium

Banned
I finished it yesterday on Good, I really enjoyed the game though I didn't ignore the flaws which a lot of you guys have covered. Delsin and Reggie were great characters based upon the strength of Travis Willingham and Troy "The Man" Baker's performances. even if the script had serious problems with pacing and going nowhere. While the rest of the cast wasn't fleshed out enough, but I still felt it was a decent enough story, that was unfortunately rushed. I wish Fetch and Delsin could have more time to build up a relationship, I liked their interaction.

These are weird things to request in a superpower game, but I kind of wanted the ability to use charged-up enemy guns through your Conduit powers and to drive cars haha. Hopefully future games try to really mix up the formula, an XP system for powers could be great too. I'll get around to completing Evil someday, I'm usually the default two goody shoes when I play games though haha, so it's hard for me. In the meantime Paper Trail is a ton of fun and I'll keep doing that for now. Seattle was a great recreation by Sucker Punch, hopefully they have Sly and maybe a new IP on the way too.

Voidance

I would chalk that up to launch time pressures. I think SP spent a lot of time building the engine and the mechanics less time on the actual missions and plot. I think the next infamous will have a jump in quality similar to AC1 -> AC2
I reckon you're right. SS is still a blast; I can't wait for whatever they have in the pipe next.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Beat the game today. Overall I'd say it's good, but not great. The core mechanics are really good but the quality of the mission design, enemies, side content and the world overall just didn't match up with it. The side content was super repetitive and boring. You're literally just doing the same shit over and over again in different areas. The world felt pretty lifeless for what I expect from an open world game. Exactly the same problem as the first two games. The game is probably the best looking open world game I've ever played, but at the same time it really isn't. Technically speaking it's very good looking, but the world completely lacked atmosphere so it's certainly not one of the most beautiful open world games out there if that makes sense. Story was ok I guess. It felt kinda rushed but it was enjoyable enough.

With all that said, the core mechanics and gameplay are so damn good that the game was still very fun despite the problems. All 3 powers feel different and are really enjoyable to mess around with both in terms of traversal and combat. It's a shame the other aspects of the game don't measure up to these core mechanics, because if they were then this game could have been something truly special. Still a pretty good and fun game though. It just could have been so much better.

Oh and
the concrete power
sucked fat hairy monkey balls. Super underwhelming. Why did they even bother?

Top Bottom