• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

vypek

True... the tagging in the game is difficult and not fun with the controller sideways... but i've always just turned it back around and the game adjusted. Haven't had an issue with it since.

I don't think its particularly hard. Why would you do it with the controller sideways? I'm 95% sure that you can turn the controller back to the correct orientation and still do stencil art

Forgive me if my criticism is redundant as i only got the game yesterday ..but does anyone else find the climbing (without powers) up buildings much more frustrating than in the previous games?

Yes. It has taken a step back but thats because you are never really meant to climb anything at all.

Ri'Orius

Also, one thing that really bugged me
after destroying the antennae on the Space Needle, it puts you back at ground level?! WTF. I wanted to jump off :( lol

I've heard that
it's part of the licensing deal with the Space Needle: they weren't allowed to let you jump off of it. Which is kinda dumb, but the Space Needle peeps understandably have different priorities than you or I.

Ark

People didn't like the spray can thing? I thought it was brilliant. The DS4 felt like a can in my hand (admittedly I have big hands).

Forgive me if my criticism is redundant as i only got the game yesterday ..but does anyone else find the climbing (without powers) up buildings much more frustrating than in the previous games?

It's the building designs that hinder it to me. You usually have a ledge protruding outward so you can't go up or something.

Well, I can tell you one thing not to try. I figured I'd uninstall the game and see if it'd register the content if it was already licensed to my account when I re-installed. Game deleted fine, reinstalled fine, put me back in the city in my latest save-game correctly, only the Paper Trail marker was missing. I dick about in the city for a while and I'm told an update has finished downloading. Quit the game, install the update, jump back in and the Paper Trail icon is back, only it's back in the first location. Turns out it keeps most of your online progress (I only had to redo the drone keycode) but all the in-game stuff gets reset.

TLDR: Reinstalling the game doesn't fix the Cole's Legacy bug, but does cause you to have to replay the Paper Trail missions.

Yeah! I decided to try the same thing, and when I uninstalled it I thought it was going to work fine because it had this whole installing game screen that lasted for about 15 min that I don't remember getting last time, but what ended up happening was the same that happened with you. My save was retained except that I have to redo the Paper Trail missions... :/

Robotziane

Neo Member
People didn't like the spray can thing? I thought it was brilliant. The DS4 felt like a can in my hand (admittedly I have big hands).

Yup I felt the same, cool little way of doing it. You did not need to be accurate so I thought it worked well.

ViciousDS

Banned
Blame every developer that traumatised me with their shitty motion control gimmicks as soon as Wii got big. 8 years later and it's still hurting games. I have every right to be upset. We all do.

I'm not upset, in fact I loved the spray painting sessions with the stencils was really fucking cool and one if the best gimmicks in awhile for motion controls.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's the building designs that hinder it to me. You usually have a ledge protruding outward so you can't go up or something.

Its just lacking the fluidity it used to have. In the 'negative' column now everything is much more stickier. Just doing a flat jump somewhere is difficult because he always grabs onto something. Its not a huge deal really but it does get annoying when youre just looking for shards and suddenly find yourself eating 3 grenades because the window sill above you isnt sticking out quite far enough.

DieH@rd

Banned

Why would you climb buildings without powers? Even if you have smoke/neon activated, that little hover jump can do wonders and enable quicker climbing.

Anyhow, use vents/neon. :D

Dynedom

The spray painting is probably the least offensive use of motion controls I have experienced in any game. If people think this is "horrible waggle", I pray they never go near something like Skyward Sword or DKC Returns.

This was the first thing I noticed and the first major criticism I had of the game. The free-running/parkour in Infamous 1 was stellar and arguably the best in the genre outside of obvious choices like Mirror's Edge.

ChrisW

So made it back to the original intro part of the game, where you have to walk instead of taking the car to Seattle, anyone know of any way to get even further?

Effnine

You seem to be under the impression that I think spraying would have been good on the analog stick. Oh no. You misunderstand. Whatever the method of control it was a pointless shitty minigame that added absolutely nothing of value to the game. But that motion control bullshit is the reason that minigame is there in the first place. That's my issue. They put a shitty minigame in there just so they would have an excuse to add something with motion controls in the game.

I think it's actually kind of cool ... I like seeing all the different designs and there is a calming effect to taking the time to spray the side of a building ... I hated the Wii and have no issues with this whatsoever ...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why would you climb buildings without powers? Even if you have smoke/neon activated, that little hover jump can do wonders and enable quicker climbing.

Anyhow, use vents/neon. :D

Scrambles bro. Sometimes you blow your load and you're stuck on a ledge. Hell sometimes i dont want to use neon. Im a smoke guy.

Its just lacking the fluidity it used to have. In the 'negative' column now everything is much more stickier. Just doing a flat jump somewhere is difficult because he always grabs onto something. Its not a huge deal really but it does get annoying when youre just looking for shards and suddenly find yourself eating 3 grenades because the window sill above you isnt sticking out quite far enough.

I agree it could have been a bit stickier. I remember Infamous 1 being too sticky at time. It's probably very hard to strike a right balance. I think by making it easy to traverse with power, they sacrificed climbing or spent less time tweaking it.

If there is a sequel I want
Glass powers!

Tomohawk

Saw the start of this game in a lets play and thought it looked really cool, so i was thinking of putting it on my games to play list, but the main character gives me a headache, he acts like a rebellious 16 year but looks 25. I think its because of the morality angle and they created like a dumb character so if the character goes on a killing spree its not as jarring. It doesn't quite work for me though. Does the dialogue improve later in the game.

ChrisW

So quick update, there is a DUP tower back in the original part of the game (getting there with 4th power) which you can get ontop of and if you
fly
upwards a few times there is a break in the invisible wall that let's you float past and through the trees etc, unfortunately after many tries, I just float through the floor and land into water.

Managed to get so far that I was off the mini map, but when I clicked to "go to shore" I was brought back into a pure white world and then immediately died and was sent back to first district

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I agree it could have been a bit stickier. I remember Infamous 1 being too sticky at time. It's probably very hard to strike a right balance. I think by making it easy to traverse with power, they sacrificed climbing or spent less time tweaking it.

If there is a sequel I want
Glass powers!

Im sure its not easy to fine tune the details. I just think that the height restrictions on the wall climbing are silly considering that i can turn into a giant fireball and destroy a city block. It just looks funny in context. One second you leveled a city block ..the next second you cant jump on a ladder. Not to be a negative nancy. I've been playing the game nonstop and love it. That's about the only thing that irks me. Fantastic otherwise.

Skilletor

Saw the start of this game in a lets play and thought it looked really cool, so i was thinking of putting it on my games to play list, but the main character gives me a headache, he acts like a rebellious 16 year but looks 25. I think its because of the morality angle and they created like a dumb character so if the character goes on a killing spree its not as jarring. It doesn't quite work for me though. Does the dialogue improve later in the game.

Aside from the spray painting thing, that's not true at all.

I liked Delsin a lot. Dialogue and acting were both great throughout the game.

Does anyone else think the sound in this game feels... Off? Or weird?

It just feels like some sound effects don't sound right, or are missing. For example, the melee attack hits feel so passive like somethings missing. I don't get it

So is a 30 fps cap a remote possibility for this game?

I've already platinum'd it, but it's still really fun to just run around and sight see because the game looks so damn impressive. Having said that, the variable framerate ruins the fluidity and the game feels like something's lacking because of it.

Tomohawk

Aside from the spray painting thing, that's not true at all.

I liked Delsin a lot. Dialogue and acting were both great throughout the game.

Im only going of the start of the game, but he seemed like the stereotypical rebellious teen to me, except way past that age, and i think think acting was good, just the dialogue was weird to me.

potam

Banned
So with paper trail, do I have to do something special or just click each link? And I have no idea what I'm doing with his cell phone

And one of the website page is not working. :-\

if its the dup website, type in the address from the dove instead works for me...

or this link http://departmentofunifiedprotection.com/intranet?locale=en

So with paper trail, do I have to do something special or just click each link? And I have no idea what I'm doing with his cell phone

You have to find the clues to unlock the cellphone... I've been trying for half an hour can't get it atm lol

Grinchy

Banned
Yes thank you, I hate this, when Im full on Flash going on and I full stop at those outward ledges makes me :(

I actually kinda liked that it was set up like that. It actually made me look a head and plan out my route instead of just being able to mindlessly run up anything in my path.

ChrisW

ok.... I guess I wait until next week for part 3. Wish they were a bit longer. I know they said 5 hours, but I thought more of that would be game time rather than "Thinking" time

Cess007

Finally figured out to unlock the cellphone... that was a tough one lol

20 minutes and still can't figure it out. Dammit, this one is kinda hard.

Edit: Finally got it. Didn't notice i've unlocked more hints in the Profile screen and they even tell you directly a hint of how unlock the phone.

RytGear

Just finished part 2 of the papertrail and god damn is it awesome, it makes you feel like such a detective when you work it out!

Top Bottom