• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Sorian

Banned
Yes, the game missed an opportunity to make it more interesting. Climbing the final tower was the closest it got.

Having to climb the final tower multiple times for different achievements showed me that it was just fun the one time as a set piece type deal, after that I would much rather run up the side of the building because this is a superhero game, traversal should be "auto-win" Super Man isn't bitching about his climbing ability, he can fly.

NeoRausch

OK I saw the master sword but what the hell is this?

Edit: Mario and Luigi? I don't see it

700.hqxgy9d.jpg

see?...maybe not. but the master sword is grand!!

Is anyone else having trouble with their touchpad in this game? Every other time I play the game I can't interact with some elements in the game (often mission critical things) makes trying to play the game a bit of a pain in the ass.

NeoRausch

Is anyone else having trouble with their touchpad in this game? Every other time I play the game I can't interact with some elements in the game (often mission critical things) makes trying to play the game a bit of a pain in the ass.

nope, seems pretty much perfect spot on. what's happening on your side?

cdkee

Banned
First two pictures are the Master Sword from the Zelda Series
last pic is a Mario and Luigi Sketch

Doesn't look anything like the Master Sword. looks like a generic fantasy sword.

Anyway, has anyone been able to do part 2 of paper trail? I thought it was going to be weekly.

VASPER

Banned
So i think I'm going to take the lunge and get a PS4, i really want to play this game and i want to be evil. Hopefully i will enjoy the game being evil.

rpmboy

Just downloaded a new update hoping it would resolve the stuttering. Nope, it's just as bad. :(. Can someone please see if they notice the stuttering, texture pop-in in the videos I took? I know it's shitty Facebook, but it gives me an HD option on my phone.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151924811507330

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151924815662330

There's definitely a bit of stuttering in the first one, and pop-in of things like trees and trashcans mid way through the second.

Arkam

The side missions are definitely the worst in the series, it's probably why SS feels shorter than past games because they're so repetitive that I can't do any more after a while and just go on with the story. inFamous 1 had much more variety, satellite uplinks were a lot of fun, nothing like that here.

I would agree with this, as I too am finding them annoying to do. But I will say on the whole its a pretty good game. Its pretty as all hell and fun to play. With the new gen content being so sparse this game really fills the void well. Part of me wishes it had made launch... but then I wonder what the hell we would be playing right now. Gotta love the beginning of a new gen :)

psychotron

There's definitely a bit of stuttering in the first one, and pop-in of things like trees and trashcans mid way through the second.

Does this happen to you? I would be calling Sony right now if I knew it was only happening to a few of us, but I can't rule out that some people just don't see it.

Toadette

Banned
i cant find that cole dlc on psn and i just bought the game

some said its only the the collectors edition that bull-crap if true i paid 70 euro for this

Requiem

The 4th power is so half assed it's not even funny...
no Karma bomb, no special executions, L1 is fucking high jump and it baffles me that they didn't give us the concrete leap ability

Nope, you're missing the point (again). People have said the exact same things about other open world games, like GTA IV and V. Lifeless game world, poor missions, etc. It's an unfortunate limitation of open world games. But I and millions of others disagree with you that it makes the game not fun to play. I'm not sure how you can argue that. Because you don't find it fun, it's flawed and not fun for anyone? What?

Reviewers are entitled to their opinions and I am entitled to call them out on their biases when those opinions are not consistently applied to all games they review. Quite simple really.

Lifeless game worlds and poor missions aren't unfun? "Unfun" means "bad" here. Even though fun is subjective, I don't think anyone will refer to "poor missions" as being fun.

It's not clear what you're trying to argue. If you're critiquing reviewers, you're not referring to any specific reviewers; it's unreasonable to lump them all together if you're trying to say they're hypocritical. If you're trying to say these issues aren't detrimental to the game, you're haven't presented any argument to support that. You keep bringing up other games, but mentioning that GTA has similar problems doesn't say anything about the inFamous series or Second Son.

Endo Punk

Just got the evil ending, very dark indeed but loved playing evil and just not giving a fuck for once.

Augustine and Eugine are amongst the best boss fights in the franchise, certainly better than i2 bosses by a long shot. And I actually like rock powers lol, was criticizing it to hell when I heard about it in the spoiler thread by now getting to play it I really found it satisfying. Only problem is that when you upgrade the dash run to unlimited I wish running into cars wouldn't cause it to stop.

rpmboy

Does this happen to you? I would be calling Sony right now if I knew it was only happening to a few of us, but I can't rule out that some people just don't see it.

Stuttering doesn't happen to me that much, but definitely does some times. I notice it particularly when I jump during the neon light speed. I also get some pop-in too, but I'm usually to busy playing to notice. The stuttering only looks like 1 or 2 frames being skipped and isn't that noticeable. I would guess that most people can't see it, because it only is like one frame.

i cant find that cole dlc on psn and i just bought the game

some said its only the the collectors edition that bull-crap if true i paid 70 euro for this
Are you European and only bought the regular edition? In Europe, it only comes with the collector's edition, while in America it was a preorder bonus.

Vibranium

Banned
The side missions are definitely the worst in the series, it's probably why SS feels shorter than past games because they're so repetitive that I can't do any more after a while and just go on with the story. inFamous 1 had much more variety, satellite uplinks were a lot of fun, nothing like that here.

Yeah, the side missions were super repetitive. They needed to focus on the characters and actually making use of the world. Big missed opportunity.

After being the game are you ever able to access the night time again? I love using neon during night but didn't create a save state during the specific missions :(

Chuck

Still without luck
can someone please give me a hint of the tracking number for paper trail? I've looked at all this stuff and can't figure it out... :<

Sorian

Banned
well i've looked at all the stuff from part 1. it looks like i have to input some number to track something

Oh, are you talking very first part and entering the number into your cell phone?

Small Hint:
Look through the guy's wallet, anything you see that looks interesting, you should investigate

Bigger Hint:
That business card is interesting for the fact that it gives you a website to go to

Just beat the game and really loved it. You can criticize it as much as you want for structural reasons (side missions, repetition) but I think they really nailed the action part. Traversal is amazingly fun, and the scale is incredible especially once the action starts to happen a little bit more on top of buildings and in the air.

I enjoyed the boss fights. I think the last boss fight is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game (with a great framerate to boot). To me it was a real next gen Metroid Prime sort of boss.

I loved Augustine as a character, from the beginning you sense that kind of motherly attitude just from the great facial animations.

Good job Sucker Punch, if hope can make a sequel with better open world activities, add stuff like throwing objects, and a little more variety in the environments.

cdkee

Banned
Nope, but I believe that if you beat it while evil it stays night (like how it's always mid-day when you beat it while good)

Nope, it's sundown-ish (red sky) for evil. And sunny/clear (blue sky) for good.

Disappointing, I wish they would let you choose.

After being the game are you ever able to access the night time again? I love using neon during night but didn't create a save state during the specific missions :(

All we have is SP on twitter saying they'll suggest it (rotating TOD) to the team. Maybe a patch down the line.

Carl

Just got the evil ending, very dark indeed but loved playing evil and just not giving a fuck for once.

Augustine and Eugine are amongst the best boss fights in the franchise, certainly better than i2 bosses by a long shot. And I actually like rock powers lol, was criticizing it to hell when I heard about it in the spoiler thread by now getting to play it I really found it satisfying. Only problem is that when you upgrade the dash run to unlimited I wish running into cars wouldn't cause it to stop.

I fucking *hated* the
Eugene boss battle. It was cool for five seconds and then quickly became tiresome as fuck

Chuck

Still without luck
Oh, are you talking very first part and entering the number into your cell phone?

Small Hint:
Look through the guy's wallet, anything you see that looks interesting, you should investigate

Bigger Hint:
That business card is interesting for the fact that it gives you a website to go to

thanks!

Sorian

Banned
I beat it on my first try on expert.

The trick was always to shoot the angels

It's just longer than it should be. The remedy was either to give him less of a health pool or to add some new mechanics during the fight. As it stood, the one mechanic they did add
angels shielding him
just ended up making the fight even longer with no real extra challenge.

jaaz

Lifeless game worlds and poor missions aren't unfun? "Unfun" means "bad" here. Even though fun is subjective, I don't think anyone will refer to "poor missions" as being fun.

It's not clear what you're trying to argue. If you're critiquing reviewers, you're not referring to any specific reviewers; it's unreasonable to lump them all together if you're trying to say they're hypocritical. If you're trying to say these issues aren't detrimental to the game, you're haven't presented any argument to support that. You keep bringing up other games, but mentioning that GTA has similar problems doesn't say anything about the inFamous series or Second Son.

It must be difficult for you to find any game fun with this attitude. All games have some crappy missions and other flaws that are detrimental to the game. To most people, that doesn't mean the whole of the game is not fun. Infamous games have sold well, so obviously quite a number of people disagree with you and find the game fun.

One more time, so you can understand: I am questioning the inconsistency of reviewers, where issues in one game are overlooked on the score and the same issues in another game are specifically mentioned to bring down the score. I brought up GTA IV which should be obvious if you were paying attention last generation. The 10s this game received despite its issues was astounding. Infamous and Killzone, in particular, seem to be treated more harshly by reviewers. This is almost fact. You want a game site that does this? Okay, Polygon.

From what I have played of Infamous, it has issues, but not enough to warrant a 7. Arguing for more consistency in reviews doesn't mean I'm ignoring Infamous' issues.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, I just unlocked
the Video power!!
That is.... INSANE!! Loved it!! Imho it is the best of them three (still did not saw the next one however, if there is any). I see people here enoying a lot the Neon Power, its indeed very nice, but sometimes I still prefer smoke then neon. But the
Video one
,... damn! That is a game changer! To an awesome game, to an even more awesome! lol

That power is pure destruction! Targeting missiles, invisibility and a god damn fast shooter!!
. Am playing as a Hero in maximum difficulty, and defeat the enemies is now a lot more easier. Also, I did like the Neon Run, but the
wings are really fast, and are better to avoid obstacles in the way.

Ok, I just unlocked
the Video power!!
That is.... INSANE!! Loved it!! Imho it is the best of them three (still did not saw the next one however, if there is any). I see people here enoying a lot the Neon Power, its indeed very nice, but sometimes I still prefer smoke then neon. But the
Video one
,... damn! That is a game changer! To an awesome game, to an even more awesome! lol

That power is pure destruction! Targeting missiles, invisibility and a god damn fast shooter!!
. Am playing as a Hero in maximum difficulty, and defeat the enemies is now a lot more easier. Also, I did like the Neon Run, but the
wings are really fast, and are better to avoid obstacles in the way.

The first time I played the game I played evil and liked the third power the most. The second time I played the game I played good and liked neon the most.

colui

Did anyone else get thrown into orbit? I was doing a falling attack to a guy with his concrete shield up and I just bounced. It was even higher than the pic, couldn't take a good screenshot in time.

Kssio_Aug

The first time I played the game I played evil and liked the third power the most. The second time I played the game I played good and liked neon the most.

Neon is better to single targeting, so you can avoid hurting civilians, thats indeed good for hero playthrough. But loved to play with the 3rd one, I believe I will rarely change to neon or smoke from now on. lol

Top Bottom