• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

luxarific

Nork unification denier
If you want to skip them, do them with remote play. :p You do the part where you shake the can and then skip to the end.

Don't have a Vita, but yeah, I wish there was a way of still doing them without having to waste time spraying everything.

What? The facial models are incredible. I don't know what game you were playing.

cIp1LgX.jpg

Generic dude face for Delsin, and Fetch's hair isn't anywhere near on-par with say, Lara in TR: Definitive.

Here's another image of a character that should look awesome with next-gen graphics - the aged Betty.

mMeddA9.jpg

In theory, this character should have some facial lines. They're...kinda there, but look like they've been smoothed over.

cIp1LgX.jpg

Generic dude face for Delsin, and Fetch's hair isn't anywhere near on-par with say, Lara in TR: Definitive.

Here's another image of a character that should look awesome with next-gen graphics - the aged Betty.

mMeddA9.jpg

In theory, this character should have some facial lines. They're...kinda there, but look like they've been smoothed over.
In what way is Delsin generic? Does he need to have 0 personality like Cole to be different, because we have not any of those heroes before.

I think the quality of the faces in Second Son are great, but my sister was watching me play and she said "why do the faces look so bad?!"

So yeah, depending on who is looking, there are some different reactions. I'm not sure why, exactly. I think they look really good, skin textures are super high, and the lip movement/muscles in the face are really well animated.

His face has no defining characteristics to it. Cole at least had the shaved head.
Is this a joke post?? Lol

Shaved head dude was THE definition of generic last gen, specifically because hair was so hard to model for some companies.

I didn't think any of the characters were generic. They all had cool personalities for me.

I think the quality of the faces in Second Son are great, but my sister was watching me play and she said "why do the faces look so bad?!"

So yeah, depending on who is looking, there are some different reactions. I'm not sure why, exactly. I think they look really good, skin textures are super high, and the lip movement/muscles in the face are really well animated.

The lip sync is impressive - especially since it's kept up for things that they could just avoid doing it for, like dialog after finishing a mission.

You mean Troy Baker's scanned face? Not exactly sure what you're looking for here. You want a giant nose or silly ears or something?

Her face does look amazing. Did you see her facial expressions during (early game spoilers)
the "hospital" scene
at the beginning? Wrinkles came and went around her mouth very subtly as she talked.

Again, don't know what you're looking for here. Would you rather the game hit you with exaggerated wrinkles just for the sake of making you notice "LOOK! WRINKLES!!"?

I've got plenty of issues with Second Son, the facial expressions explicitly not being one of them.

Wrinkle-wise, I was hoping for things to at least look as good as Beyond, which isn't the case. For Delsin's face, I just expected something a bit more unique. He looks like Generic 20-something 259, but with a beanie.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'll chip in. Finished as good and done some side questing and I think it's an 9.0.

The technical, art and sound designs are just fantastic! It boggles my mind that with all this insanely complicated geometry that there aren't insane clipping and collision detection issues. Image quality is impeccable. This is a real technical achievement.

The core gameplay is great combining the powers/combat and traversal and the city/level design. Wish there was a little more variety in the melee.

The story was very enjoyable to go through. Wish there was more back story / character development integrated into the game for the characters.

The only area I think it really falls short is variety of stuff to do in the post game. When I played through the game, I focused pretty hard on the story missions and then just did the odd side-activity along the way. Now that I'm trying to go through and see what the rest of the game has to offer, I'm disappointed by the lack of variety and potential that's not realized here. I am not super compelled to keep whittling away on these side-activities but I am at least enjoying them and working to maxing out my powers.

I was satisfied by the game but wished there was just a little bit more to it. It's definitely a GOTY contender for me for the solid core gameplay design and the spectacular presentation.

SeanR1221

So I'm RTTP with infamous 1. I restarted the game and Just cleared the neon district. Gonna finish that game up and then be LTTP on infamous 2. Then festival of blood. I like this series.

Bishop89

I am in stitches right now
just started the mission where reggie is in that yellow suit and you have to pretend to chase him down

Is this a joke post?? Lol

Shaved head dude was THE definition of generic last gen, specifically because hair was so hard to model for some companies.

I didn't think any of the characters were generic. They all had cool personalities for me.
LOL, true. I'm fine with characters that look like, you know … people. Not every video game protagonist has to have some tattoos or giant hair or clothes covered in fucking zippers to stand out. All that shit is so juvenile. Aren't kick-ass super powers "stand out" enough?

but what about Assassin's Creed, GTA and the reviewers who give it them the wrong scores and 8 I can understand but a 7 c'mon good my god

I hate scoring stuff, but 6.5 or 7 is around what I would give it as well. It's a very average game, though also very pretty (in my opinion).

Not sure which game you're playing. I would give that score to part 1 & 2 but this game is a 9 for me.

What?! I know it's your opinion but it seems we didn't even play the same game lol.

It's a 9 for me easily. Especially for the characters and story. By FAAAAR the best infamous game I've played and funnest game of the generation so far for me.
yes. I have played titanfall

I give it a 6.5-7/10 and I'm being generous. It feels like there something missing from the game. The gameplay is fine but the story feels forgetful at the very least

I'd say my rating is an 8.0 - 8.5. that may be a little generous. but it does look great and plays great. However its extremely short. I hated the side missions. By the first hour of the game you've already experienced all of the side missions that you will see for the entire game. Before I got my 2nd power I felt it had already got repeatitive. Basically length and repeatitive side missions kept this game from being great. Infamous 1 was better. I'd say part 2 and 3 are tied... For the next Infamous, i need a longer game and varied side missions. also the next game needs to let you equp more than one type of power.

His face has no defining characteristics to it. Cole at least had the shaved head.
Shaved head is not generic but a defining characteristic? What?

Punk rock kid with jeans and a beanie from an
Akomish tribe
, how many characters have you actually seen? I thought you were talking about personality at first, and I didn't really care for Cole's at all. It felt like a chore to use him the entire game until the story picks up at the end.

cdkee

Banned
Is the DUP intranet website down?

edit: ok this paper trail thing is pissing me off. What do I do with Fishbein's phone and key fob? Ugh, you'd think you'd have your website stuff working especially when it's needed to progress -_-

PaulloDEC

If there's any cosplay enthusiasts hanging around, I'm currently in the process of producing some high-res artwork replicas of Delsin's badges. Most are cobbled together from screenshots, video, google image searches and guesswork, but I think they're pretty good approximations.

A few complete images (low-res):

I'm planning to put together a proper compilation of full-res images once I'm done (with links back to original sources where I can find them, naturally). If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll aim to send you a link once it's all finished.

fallingdove

I just finished the game. I thought it was mostly great. 8.5ish. The facial animations are phenomenal. I immediately started playing Tomb Raider(for the first time) and it is pretty off-putting how its facial animations pale in comparison.

At any rate, it was a pretty strong game for me, I would have liked to see more interaction between D and his brother. That was my favorite part of the story. I also felt like the other conduits were underdeveloped.

Gameplay is much better than 1 and 2, I think SP are headed in the right direction. I hope that the powers are more varied in the next game though, I felt trapped in a loop sometimes as I was leveling abilities.

Courage

So what was your guys most used power? Neon was the best for traversal and melee, and even prefer it for long range because it gives you slow mo

Jedi2016

So what was your guys most used power? Neon was the best for traversal and melee, and even prefer it for long range because it gives you slow mo
Especially since end-game, I've been using Neon almost exclusively during the cleanup of the city. It's the easiest one to use to stack up good karma for a bomb. So I can do a district showdown or take down one of the DUP bases by running straight into the middle of it, running around in a circle until everyone gathers together, and then popping Radiant Sweep. I can clear out a whole base in seconds.

If I really want to clear something out and don't have a bomb ready, I'll sometimes switch to #3 because of the extra speed. That one's good for hit-and-run, where I can zip in from nowhere, wreak some havoc, and then zip out before they can even get a bead on me. Takes a lot longer that way, though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
You mean Troy Baker's scanned face? Not exactly sure what you're looking for here. You want a giant nose or silly ears or something?

Her face does look amazing. Did you see her facial expressions during (early game spoilers)
the "hospital" scene
at the beginning? Wrinkles came and went around her mouth very subtly as she talked.

Have to agree about how well done the facial expressions were in this game. That one scene where (spoiler for boss battle right before the final battle)
Reggie dies - the various expressions on Delsin's face right afterward were amazing.
Not sure if that scene was pre-rendered or not, but it was really nice work. This gen is really going to raise the bar for visuals - can hardly wait until things get really going.

Replaying the game with evil karma and wow this game is so much fun with evil power and knowing how to play. It really feels like you are invincible. People who only play good karma are missing so much.

NJShadow

You know what would be awesome? Being able to replay the campaign with all shards + side-missions retained. I'd REALLY like to dive back into that ending portion where you're
making your way back to the tower, the music is jamming, and the citizens are all rallying for you
. I'd love to go back and just replay select missions.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I finished 100%ing my Good run. All in all, I think it took me a good 18-20 hours on that run.

I've already started my Evil Karma run, and I'm having a great time not giving a fuck. Playing it Expert/Evil. Such a fun, fun, fun game. It's not perfect, and has lots of flaws, but the inFAMOUS formula is just very enjoyable. I'm eagerly awaiting another entry in the series from Sucker Punch. The engine they've crafted for the PS4 is too fantastic to simply be a one and done. They're a small team, however, so I doubt they'll be able to split and work on two projects. As long as they have a passion for the inFAMOUS series, I hope they continue to build on it and improve it.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and writing out my full review.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I guess that vest's name is already known?

Bj868kKIIAEdrXK.jpg:large

Magnificent trolling by Sucker Punch. lol

PSN message trick? Can you elaborate on that? Those screenshots look great. A lot better than the uploads I made from the system defaults.

What he might be referring to is, attach those screenshots in the PS4 create a message option, and send the message with the screenshot to your psn id or another psn id of yours. Now switch on your PS3 and sign into the id which would be receiving the picture, save the picture to PS3's HDD, transfer it back to an external HDD or pen drive. Now upload the image.

What he might be referring to is, attach those screenshots in the PS4 create a message option, and send the message with the screenshot to your psn id or another psn id of yours. Now switch on your PS3 and sign into the id which would be receiving the picture, save the picture to PS3's HDD, transfer it back to an external HDD or pen drive. Now upload the image.

amazing

Past

A. You can explore the city.

B. The DUP is there for folks who may actually want to still use their combative powers. You can totally avoid the DUP, and they only pop up in small numbers.

Avoid them if you want, but I'm glad they didn't strip the city of baddies at the end. Otherwise there would be almost nothing left to do but... traverse the city. What's stopping you from exploring?

I meant exploring peacefully, it's really annoying to get shot every 2 minutes when I am just trying to look around the city (seriously sometimes they just show up out of nowhere). I know why they kept them around,
you don't get the concrete power until the very end after all
, it's just one of those thing were I wish there were cheat codes so I could disable them from appearing or something.

The Goat

Running into a bit of fatigue with the game. Progress is at 51% completion. The combat has become so repetitive, I'm not sure I want to continue on. Something major needs to happen soon, or they've lost me.

For the love of god spoiler this. I mean there are countless examples above of people covering spoilers if you don't know how. I feel like a broken record at this point. Do not post spoilers about the game without tags, people still have yet to play the game and shouldn't have the end game spoiled by another poster. Please be curdeous.

Edit: Looks like you spoiler'd it right after I posted this. I'm going to keep this here anyways for the sake of other people who don't know.

Past

For the love of god spoiler this. I mean there are countless examples above of people covering spoilers if you don't know how. I feel like a broken record at this point. Do not post spoilers about the game without tags, people still have yet to play the game and shouldn't have the end game spoiled by another poster. Please be curdeous.

Edit: Looks like you spoiler'd it right after I posted this. I'm going to keep this here anyways for the sake of other people who don't know.

Huh, I am positive I covered the spoiler when I posted that. Are you sure you didn't click it by accident?

Noof

I finished the game yesterday and I thought it was tons of fun. This was my first Infamous game as I didn't have a PS3.
Video power
is my favorite by far, so much fun to fight with and so easy to travel around with. Also I love using the melee with that power to destroy every DUP structure I can find. I was disappointed with
concrete power,
it feels sluggish to me both in fighting and traveling, although I haven't fully upgraded it yet. I'm gonna 100% this file now and then start my evil file.

Moaradin

lol that's a lot of work. I would do it if I had a ps3 :(

those shots look great.

Bishop89

Just beat the game , good playthrough.

This is the most fun Ive had in a long time.

Even traversing, which is one of the most boring aspects of an open world game, was VERY fun (And pretty too!)

Gusto

Does anybody know if you start the games on normal in the beginning and about 30 min into it you change it to expert, will you still get the trophy for beating it on expert? Holy sh*t this is gonna suck if we don't.

Shancake

Does anybody know if you start the games on normal in the beginning and about 30 min into it you change it to expert, will you still get the trophy for beating it on expert? Holy sh*t this is gonna suck if we don't.

I really doubt it. You could just do that right before the ending.

Zalusithix

Decided to actually finish the game today, and I encountered one heck of a texture streaming / LOD glitch. Zooming in on the tower using neon, I figured the game was just catching up, but despite sitting on the roof for over a minute, nothing changed. Had to move off the roof to get things back to normal.
Bj9Qm2KCcAAKEOG.jpg:orig

I really don't like the 3rd power at all. Keep going back to Neon. I wonder if I'll dig the final power?
If you like neon, I have a feeling you wont like the fourth power.

Keihart

I meant exploring peacefully, it's really annoying to get shot every 2 minutes when I am just trying to look around the city (seriously sometimes they just show up out of nowhere). I know why they kept them around,
you don't get the concrete power until the very end after all
, it's just one of those thing were I wish there were cheat codes so I could disable them from appearing or something.

You can kinda explore the city without fighting, actually the DUP won't attack you unless they see you using your powers or you trespass an area they are guarding, so in the end-game you can just jog your way around the city ignoring them if you want, just look around you before using your powers.

Edit: If you are "True Hero" at least.

Schlomo

I switched during the burning factory bit and got the trophy. Any later would be risky probably.

Top Bottom