• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

culafia

Fucking amazing isn't it? They knocked the evil ending out of the park. I REALLY hope it's canon.

The issue is that the rest of the story and characters are terrifically inconsistent and nearly broken on Evil. The ending is great, but the rest of the plot only works on Hero. Not to mention
they're not gonna put work into more than 3 powers for the next game

Finally beat this game today. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped.

First off the game is short - really short. I probably only put in about 10 hours, maybe 11 and I 100% completed everything the game has to offer. A straight playthrough of the story in this game seems like it would be about five hours, if that. I'm usually not a "games need to be x hours long" type of guy, in fact I'm usually the opposite, but the game feels lacking in content.

Secondly I'm found the combat to be a bit of a chore at times. Larger enemies are big bullet (or power I guess) sponges and take too long to take down. Not that they're too hard, I just get bored because they're so damn tedious to fight. Enemy variety is waaaaaay lacking too. Also traversing from side missions to side mission on the map is annoying because if there are any enemies ANYWHERE near you you can't start the side mission, and the enemies will spawn/attack you at any little wiff of you using your powers if you're on the street level. Not fun, just annoying.

Speaking of side missions this game is basically Assassin's Creed 1 with super powers in that regard. Every distinct has the same three or four side missions over and over. You find a conduit spy, tag a wall with spray paint, find an audio log and find a hidden camera or two. Tagging walls was cool as a one-off thing in the intro but after doing it 30+ times I realllllllly got sick of it. Same with all the other side missions, but that one especially.

The acting for the story bits is very good, and the story missions are fine. Note: only fine. Few stand out to me as unique whereas a lot of them in, say, Infamous 2 were more varied. Here few standout aside from one or two of the boss fights. Most of the others were pretty standard with little in the way of surprises.

Anyway...over all the game has disappointed me quite a bit. It looks great visually and the writing/acting is a big step up, but it's a huge step back in terms of the actual game if you ask me. And yeah, it's a very short, small game. This could have used a lot more time to cook, I think. I really enjoyed the past two games, but this one didn't click with me. Don't think I'll be going for that second (evil) playthrough this time.

vg260

Is there a trick to getting paper trail part 3 to show up on the map? I'm at the on-console activity part on the web site, but don't see a map icon.

Secondly I'm found the combat to be a bit of a chore at times. Larger enemies are big bullet (or power I guess) sponges and take too long to take down. Not that they're too hard, I just get bored because they're so damn tedious to fight. Enemy variety is waaaaaay lacking too. Also traversing from side missions to side mission on the map is annoying because if there are any enemies ANYWHERE near you you can't start the side mission, and the enemies will spawn/attack you at any little wiff of you using your powers if you're on the street level. Not fun, just annoying

I agree with you on this point. I'm hoping this is from just trying to make a release date. Got real frustrating towards then end with some of the DUB trucks

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Has anyone found this game to be the easiest platinum ever? I'm half way through my second playthrough, and all I have to do is finish the campaign to get my platinum. Even expert mode is a breeze so far.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Finished and got 100% completion a few hours after that. Really cool game. This might be my first platinum, but I'm not sure if I want to wait to see if they add more powers later on before playing the game again.

What is the deal with Paper Trail? I created the account online and it sent the photos for me to look at on the website (which I did) but when I approach the mailbox again in the game it keeps telling me to go to the website. Also, do the D.U.P. raids ever end?

Finished and got 100% completion a few hours after that. Really cool game. This might be my first platinum, but I'm not sure if I want to wait to see if they add more powers later on before playing the game again.

What is the deal with Paper Trail? I created the account online and it sent the photos for me to look at on the website (which I did) but when I approach the mailbox again in the game it keeps telling me to go to the website. Also, do the D.U.P. raids ever end?
Paper Trail is pretty clever. You have to really dig into it. Hint:
Check for websites in the evidence. Go to them. Try everything. It's pretty clever in its puzzles.
Once you have completed it, it will instruct you to go back and continue on the game itself.

Edit: From the third paper trail. I cropped it, and it really isn't much of a spoiler(and I think everything is a spoiler), but I just found it humorous. It's a good "Soon..." pic.

http://i.minus.com/i4LBAI1qRjTG.PNG

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Paper Trail is pretty clever. You have to really dig into it. Hint:
Check for websites in the evidence. Go to them. Try everything. It's pretty clever in its puzzles.
Once you have completed it, it will instruct you to go back and continue on the game itself.
I realized the problem - the computer I was on did not have flash installed. I wondered why it didn't just prompt me to open the PS4 browser the way AC IV does with uPlay junk. Thanks for the response.

I realized the problem - the computer I was on did not have flash installed. I wondered why it didn't just prompt me to open the PS4 browser the way AC IV does with uPlay junk. Thanks for the response.

No prob! If you need a bit of a jump start, let us know. I was truly lost when I first started paper trail, as I didn't expect it to be the type of thing it was.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished it. Fun game, although shorter than I had expected (and is there no way to check completion time? Pretty lame, if so). I thought I had gotten "spoiled" on what one of the powers was going to be when someone had said it was
graffiti, so I was surprised and glad when it turned out to be video, something I wasn't expecting at all.

The good ending wasn't anything special, but it wrapped things up nicely. I'm going to start an evil playthrough now; looking forward to seeing the evil ending that people have been talking about.

Also, I wish there was more interaction between
Delsin, Fetch and Eugene. Especially between Eugene and Fetch.
I felt that the group dynamic between the main characters lacked presence.

Wait wait wait... Regarding the last mission and ending...

Reggie dies in both versions? I didn't get a chance to choose a good or bad path before entering the concrete lair on this playthrough, which I'm doing evil. I know he had to die in my good playthrough, but I thought there was something about Hank's daughter? Did I mess up somewhere?

Lucent

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I usually hate games like this on higher difficulties since they aren't exactly "balanced" for it most of the time. I'll see if I like it though.

Yeah, well, my friend started a new game while at another friend's house and he decided to do an evil play through. He passed it to me after awhile and it wasn't til later he mentioned that he had it on expert mode. Evil is just much easier to play through. There are no rules. No real precision required. Just blow up anything in your path. Getting karma bombs are much easier because you just gotta chain like 6 or 7 kills. And you can kill civilians to sustain the kill timer until you can find enemies to get it up there.

For me, playing good on normal and then evil on expert is the way to do it.

Just got the third power yesterday. The mission quality in this game seems extremely poor. It honestly reminds me of Red Dead Redemption. The only mission I enjoyed in that game was the train robbery one towards the very end.

What happened? Did the mission designers from infamous 2 leave sucker punch?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fucking amazing isn't it? They knocked the evil ending out of the park. I REALLY hope it's canon.
I hope not.
It was more of a shock than the good ending but it's non satisfying in the slightest and evil Delsin just seems like an unlikeable lowlife, not even a character that would make a good villian whereas his good personality is great. It worked as an alternate ending for this game but would be disappointing if the character I liked so much was sacrificed to use a more surprising ending instead of the one that grew and worked better in the context of the story as a whole

Man last bost fight was probably one of worst I've played in a long time.

an open world game turns into a corridor dodger? What is this call of duty?

Agree with 8/10.

I hope not.
It was more of a shock than the good ending but it's non satisfying in the slightest and evil Delsin just seems like an unlikeable lowlife, not even a character that would make a good villian whereas his good personality is great. It worked as an alternate ending for this game but would be disappointing if the character I liked so much was sacrificed to use a more surprising ending instead of the one that grew and worked better in the context of the story as a whole

Yeah, exactly. The evil ending
just felt like being evil for the sake of being evil. I didn't feel like it fit the character much at all, even on the evil path. It was pretty damn extreme. It's decent enough shock value but I'd never want that to be an actual canon ending to the game.

Silurus

I have completed the "Good" playthrough and am considering trading it in at GS. With all the trade bonuses, GS is giving $61 credit for this but it ends tomorrow. Is the "Evil" playthrough significantly better? Or is it just worth watching the cutscenes on youtube for that insane credit?

Paper Trail and future DLC means I won't be trading my copy anytime soon.

Just completed the game on good and very much enjoyed it. The core mechanics were very solid, the powers are very creative and look awesome. The story was minimal at times, but well presented. Definitely needs more meat there, side characters were pretty side tracked. Missions could also have been more varied. This is an open world game, but the world feels like a big sandbox, rather a very fleshed out world. Final encounter was pretty spectacular and ran well.
They definitely should have made THAT power available...!
Anyway, I think it was an excellent first effort on PS4, and they need to build on it and be more ambitious with their next game, but this is an excellent foundation.

Visually, this game is the best looking for me on any system. Draw distance particularly blew it out of the park.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Playing as evil is so fun. No longer do I have the fear of accidentally killing civilians and I can just wreck havoc as I please. It feels great! Just need to finish the evil side to get my platinum!

stevil

I think I encountered a strange bug; according to my map stats some parts of Seattle are still under dup control but there are no icons left on the map. Anyone encounter this before? Are there any solutions? I tried to find something on Google but could not find anything.

All help is appreciated :)

Some thoughts:

Really enjoying the paper trail puzzle so far, too bad they didn't include it inside the main game.
The side missions and enemies are definitely a step down from the previous 2 games.
The neon effect is freaking beautiful.
Too bad this game didn't came out a month earlier because I love my new beanie hat.

I think I encountered a strange bug; according to my map stats some parts of Seattle are still under dup control but there are no icons left on the map. Anyone encounter this before? Are there any solutions? I tried to find something on Google but could not find anything.

All help is appreciated :)
Have you beaten the game yet? If not, that's probably the reason. If so, how much is left? If it's only a few % then you're probably missing some shards.

Melchiah

A quick question... I'm about to replay the game, and I wondered if that erases the progress on Paper Trail, even if I keep the 100% save file I currently have?

A quick question... I'm about to replay the game, and I wondered if that erases the progress on Paper Trail, even if I keep the 100% save file I currently have?

Did up to part 2 of Paper Trail on a good 100% save file, began an evil run (and saved on another file) and switched to the good file to do part 3 without a hitch.

Melchiah

Did up to part 2 of Paper Trail on a good 100% save file, began an evil run (and saved on another file) and switched to the good file to do part 3 without a hitch.

Good to know. =) I was already worrying, that I'd have to wait three weeks until the Paper Trail is done to do another playthrough.

sun-drop

this is the ONLY game i have ever played through a second time. ever.

game length probabaly has a lot to do with it ... but then again i only finished my 1st run hrough last night (100%) .. .thinking a good expert run through shouldn't take as long.

re game length though ..i'm perfectly happy with it, if they made the side missions a bit more dense and varied, it'd be perfect. but even then i think it was pretty decent as is

Yazuka

Going through my second playthrough now, evil and on expert.
Its so much fun when you can let loose, you don't have to be careful to hurt others and stuff.
Looking forward to see the evil ending and then I have to do the paper trail.

Melchiah

Going through my second playthrough now, evil and on expert.
Its so much fun when you can let loose, you don't have to be careful to hurt others and stuff.
Looking forward to see the evil ending and then I have to do the paper trail.

I'm going to start evil playthrough on expert tonight as well. Looking forward to it.

lucius

Anyone able to unlock all other side karma Trophies with a late save after playing the whole time one side ?

I finished the game with good karma max, all good powers unlocked with like 26 shards left. I tried just to see if I could unlock evil karma Trophies with like a 90% save file, but seems too hard. I am going to play the game again on Expert but I was never that into to renegade sideline in the past games and games like Mass Effect so don't feel like going through whole game that way. I am already at 70% trophies so just trying to get them all, I have multiple saves I am just wondering how far back I would have to got without starting a whole new game doing all bad karma.

Keihart

Finished the game, and thought it was really short. To be honest, i didn't do that much side quests, so it's partially on me. It's probably my lest favorite infamous game. Infamous>Infamous2>SS.

Also, I'm sure am not the only to notice this about the ending

"I love you brother, and am sure am gonna miss you" was also used in Infamous 2 good ending

That part made me wish that the next game would have Delsin working alongside with Zeke, it would be cool, at least for me.

The_Monk

What can be expected DLC wise my good GAFfers?

Before the game was released I was avoiding pretty much most of the info but now that I completed it at 100% I'm wondering if there's any info, dates, etc regarding any possible DLC. Thanks in advance.

Dragon

Banned

Before the game was released I was avoiding pretty much most of the info but now that I completed it at 100% I'm wondering if there's any info, dates, etc regarding any possible DLC. Thanks in advance.

They have said they're going to release a standalone game similar to Festival of Blood, which means I'm in 100% for whatever that is. And that paper trail thing is still going even though I haven't finished the 2nd mission yet.

this might be the first game i actually platinum. fairly through the motions process

Yeah it's not too difficult although I had a hard time doing shit with remote play on my expert evil run. Having the long range missile type attack mapped to the bottom right portion of the front touchscreen sucks hard.

Sorian

Banned
Wait wait wait... Regarding the last mission and ending...

Reggie dies in both versions? I didn't get a chance to choose a good or bad path before entering the concrete lair on this playthrough, which I'm doing evil. I know he had to die in my good playthrough, but I thought there was something about Hank's daughter? Did I mess up somewhere?

Hank's daughter was in the good playthrough too. When you have the option to let him go or kill him, it keeps zooming over to that boat in the water because his daughter is there. I don't know why they never showed her but yeah, Reggie falls into the ocean no matter what you do (read as: he ain't dead because I never saw a body)

Well paper trail is happening now for another three weeks and a lot of us are hoping that will lead to paper powers. Otherwise, the most we know is that they are working on something that is "the same scope as festival of blood for infamous 2" which, for those not in the know, was a standalone DLC (game not required) that featured a new storyline and new powerset. I forget how long it was but the price was reasonable for the amount of content given.

Man last bost fight was probably one of worst I've played in a long time.

an open world game turns into a corridor dodger? What is this call of duty?

Agree with 8/10.

I enjoyed that battle a whole hell of a lot but I went in with
20-something blast shards and fully leveled up each Concrete power as I received it. I thought it was pretty fun, jump/hover dodging around Augustine blasting her from every which direction

Top Bottom