• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Moosichu

Going back to the first inFamous. It's amazing how similar it is to Sly Cooper in animation and controls. Second Son doesn't have those similarities at all. The first Uncharted is similar to Jak 3 in the same way as well though.

The_Monk

Thanks for answering guys. I actually never tried Festival of Blood but will keep an eye for the upcoming Standalone, I didn't know it was going to be like that.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks for answering guys. I actually never tried Festival of Blood but will keep an eye for the upcoming Standalone, I didn't know it was going to be like that.

I don't want to say for sure that it is a standalone, their exact wording was that it is similar in scope to festival of blood. FoB was a standalone so its easy to assume that will be the same case here but they got some criticism for making it standalone last time (the whole city not being availiable, for example).

I want the next infamous to have epic boss battles on the level of GOW3

I actually don't, less flash and spectacle and more creativity with the boss fights. They need to force me to use every power and trick I have available. Also I want to fight more villains that are my size and have my mobility. Challenge is the key.

Keihart

I actually don't, less flash and spectacle and more creativity with the boss fights. They need to force me to use every power and trick I have available. Also I want to fight more villains that are my size and have my mobility. Challenge is the key.

Yeah, i also prefer boss battles like the ones on Metal Gear Solid numbered series or the ones on platinum games, be it big bosses or the ones that are your size , i like them having you use all your tricks , i thinks bosses are the perfect way to force the player to learn gameplay mechanics , if you don't , you cant progress ant that's that.

Sorry for the dumb question: How can I find out how long I have played the game? This goes for all PS4 games, really. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The time on the save is not it, right?

Keihart

i serioussly wish Delsin had headphones on his cellphone so we could listen some music while playing :/, maybe choosing songs from the ost wouldn't be half bad when your diking your way around the map doing side missions. Maybe even add some songs of seattle's bands and some from past infamous games. MGS does this , and i always use it.

orochi91

i serioussly wish Delsin had headphones on his cellphone so we could listen some music while playing :/, maybe choosing songs from the ost wouldn't be half bad when your diking your way around the map doing side missions. Maybe even add some songs of seattle's bands and some from past infamous games. MGS does this , and i always use it.

That's a cool idea. Tweet Sucker Punch, maybe they'll listen.

Adan0s

So I just got the game yesterday and it's the first time I've ever played an Infamous game.
Played for like 5 hours in a sitting, then another 3hours or so in the next. It's pretty fun so far and you can easily forget the world & time around you. :D

But: It's extremely... empty & bland? dunno. The fun comes from the way you play. Also pretty annoying that sidemissions and clearing districts is all the same.

I've done it, my first ps4 platinum:
BkjrfgQIAAAaWXd.jpg

SatisfiedCustomer_Thumb.jpg

Dragon

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question: How can I find out how long I have played the game? This goes for all PS4 games, really. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The time on the save is not it, right?

There's no standard way people are just estimating. The time on the save is most likely when you saved.

Foshy

Got 100% completion in my good/normal playthrough today, will do evil/expert now.

Man last bost fight was probably one of worst I've played in a long time.

an open world game turns into a corridor dodger? What is this call of duty?

Agree with 8/10.

I actually enjoyed all the boss fights in this game (except maybe
Fetch
which wasn't too impressive).
He who Dwells
and
Augustine right after your brother dies
were particulary good, but I wasn't disappointed with the final boss.

Well, ok, I was slightly disappointed, but not because of the fight itself. I didn't expect the story to end right there for some reason.

Daft_Cat

A 6 or a 7 out of ten for me.

Gameplay was fun, but storytelling was about as bad as Infamous 2. Presentation was also lacking beyond the technical elements. Lifeless complaint is definitely still a big problem.
The ending felt small, with only Delson really being impacted. Contributed very little to the mythology. Conduits are free again? Cool. That means nothing beyond another potential sequel. Despite the individual characters representing a clear step up from the previous two games, the story itself falls pretty flat. Instead of opening up new doors for the series, it felt more like a spin off/side story.

First game is still the best by far. Weaker gameplay maybe, but the most complete package for me.

Pollux

How late can I change the difficulty to expert and get the trophy? I just
drained the 3 core relays after first getting to Seattle
so still relatively early. Should I just restart of can i still change the difficulty?

FluxWaveZ

Just finished the evil ending. Didn't really blow my mind or anything.

Didn't surprise me that he'd blow his home up given that that was his go-to reaction to that kind of stuff during the story on the evil side. Thought something significant was going to impact the world itself given some of the reactions, but it was similarly small in scope just like the good ending.

I feel like evil Delsin works less than evil Cole. Might be because he's a much better character as a good guy than a bad guy, but it never felt right to play him as evil while I remember it kind of working in the first two games.

Yup. What really baffled me what the need to get more powers to
fight Augestene
when you end up using
video for a few mins before acquiring and using concrete.

It was just so silly, Delsin spends the entire game talking about needing more powers to have a chance against her and ends up not really needing them at all.

Hell, he ends up only using
smoke to weaken her after she kills Reggie.

someday

Banned
I'm on my second playthrough (evil yes!). I love these games but this one feels really short. My first playthrough ended before I had cleared most of the city just because I was surprised that the core game was already over. It seemed like Infamous 2 was much longer. That's pretty much my only complaint though.

Yup. What really baffled me what the need to get more powers to
fight Augestene
when you end up using
video for a few mins before acquiring and using concrete.

It was just so silly, Delsin spends the entire game talking about needing more powers to have a chance against her and ends up not really needing them at all.

Hell, he ends up only using
smoke to weaken her after she kills Reggie.

While I think the story reasons for Delsin thinking that he might need more powers to defeat Augustine - but then ends up not really needing those anyway - is reasonable in itself but yeah, for the final boss fight I really would've prefered to be able to choose freely between the powers (i.e. available power sources for all three) and possibly also in a bigger environment to get some of the traversal mechanics in there.

It just feels like they wrote themselves into a corner when getting the concrete power was the end goal as it just wouldn't make sense for him to get it prior to the final fight (in which case core relays and learning the power could've been done beforehand). At least they could've just saved concrete for ending sequence and post-end game havoc, and just put some new core relays into the city as side mission thing

Pollux

Anyone?

How late can I change the difficulty to expert and get the trophy? I just
drained the 3 core relays after first getting to Seattle
so still relatively early. Should I just restart of can i still change the difficulty?

Dispatch

I'm working on a 100% for my good play through and I'm stuck. Every district is at 0% D.U.P. control and I'm still only 87% complete. What do I possibly need to do?

Melchiah

I actually thought the boss battles were the worst part of the game. Particularly the one against
Eugene
. If I had my way, there would be none in the next one, only a greater variety of enemies.

Just started the evil playthrough on expert, and it definitely feels easier playing on this side due to the difference in the abilities, and the evil karma piles up very fast.

Rising_Hei

Infamous 1 final boss battle was pretty epic in comparision... good old times. I wish they recapture and have better boss fight for next game!
That game had so many good things... best cliffhanger ending ever

Stackboy

Just finished the evil playthrough. Going to go back and clean up the areas, give it a rest for a while and go back and play the good path.

Easily the best infamous. Looking forward to inevitable DLC.

Angelcurio

Finished my first playthrough on the good side, now i'm replaying the game on expert with the evil karma to get the Platinum. Really enjoyed the game, the story was somewhat light and unsurprising compared to infamous 2 good ending, and the game suffers from a severe lack of enemy variety, since you only get to fight humans, vehicles with turrets and helicopters.

Pachinko

I'm late to the party here because I only bought a PS4 this past monday but I just finished a "good" playthrough on normal.

Every single boss fight in this game is something of a mess, they all boil down to essentially the same thing , multiple sources of power or dampening for the enemy, run around in a circle dodging attacks and shoot missiles when you have a clear shot. Thing is though, Sucker Punch didn't follow the golden rule of a good boss battle here- these things all take to long to kill. 3-4 short sequences/ attacks is all you ever need. When I say short, I'm saying that a single boss fight should never take any longer then 2 minutes to complete. These segments, especially in a game like this , should be an entertaining diversion from the widget hunt. Instead they are a frustrating low point in an otherwise pretty fun game. Ideally , that final boss fight should have forced the player to use all their powers in order - maybe you use smoke to go behind grates and shoot to the roof where you can safely shoot your entire arsenal of missiles , then jump down kick augustine. She gets back up and seals all the smoke away but there's some neon lighting on the walls, now you have to use neon speed to avoid her attacks and the only way to harm her is the bubble followed by a missile - thus leading to a second kick , this causes her to destroy all the lighting , maybe knocking part of the roof away and blowing out a few walls, each housing a tv. This would lead to simply damaging her with 3 missile strikes and then using your video power super technique to take her down once and for all. Done, boss battle A. Instead what was there was exactly the same fight as the previous major battle with her, if anything it was shorter. You are then given her concrete power - in the game proper, this battle is an annoying mess that commits the worst possible sin in gaming- forcing the player to learn a new thing for only 1 small final piece of the game. It sucked in Mortal Kombat , sucked in MGS2 and it sucks here too. The final boss deals an obscene amount of damage but this can be lessened somewhat if you happen to get there with 4 shards- quickly learning the 10% and 20% damage reduction abilities gives you a fighting chance ... it's just that she has a ridiculous life bar here. It devolves , once again, into running around in a wide circle , dashing under the feet and spending too much time avoiding shit and not enough time having fun and blowing up the boss. Were it up to me this final battle would have just been icing on the cake for that previous encounter I described- upon getting the boulder dash you'd damage a quarter of her life bar by dashing into both legs then jump dashing into it's head, you'd then get the next power - hovering along with the comet drop, augustine would use that concrete manta ray thing that's in the game proper and you'd simply comet dive it in the head, done half dead. Another coil would show up giving you the concrete shard attack , this time the game would have you use all 3 powers, you'd shoot concrete to blast away a shield augustine could put up, then dash into both legs and finally, comet drop on the head. At this point that last coil would show up and you'd get your missiles , all you'd need to do here is shoot a missile at each leg and then the third and final one at the head, only at this point would the boss finally go down. Also, each chunk of health that disappears would be a checkpoint so if you did happen to die at any point during these 2 fights you'd only have to re-do the chunk of life you'd died during. That's just me talking, I don't like being frustrated in videogames, they're supposed to fun after all and while I had tons of fun jumping around Seattle doing various missions and destroying DUP mobile command centers, I really didn't much enjoy the handful of boss fights, especially the last one. A game like this , it's find to have bosses but I think having just 3 bosses that really utilize every technique you've learned would have been much better than the 8 or so boss like encounters here which mostly just boiled down to "dodge and fire missiles". Rant aside I'd recommend this game to anyone.

see5harp

Man that last boss battle. Sorta boring. I really think the game would be a helliva lot more interesting if you could somehow mix
And match powers instead of needing to drain to change. They should have at least had a little variety with the side stuff too. Maybe some races for each power. None of the side stuff is fun at all. Even a game that I'm absolutely burned out on like ac black flag really surprised me with the crazy powerful ships and the fort assaults.

elty

What would be the easier for good vs evil? First timer in this series and I am not particular good at this type of game.

Not far in at all and will post more once I finish, but so far it's a solid game, though nothing amazing outside of visuals.

• Touchpad and gyro functions aren't really favorable, personally. Feel that the painting would work better without rotating the controller. Do like ripping off the doors when freeing captives.
  • Not impressed with the animation and 'grasping' in climbing environments.
  • So far enjoying the paths powers take in regards to subduing abilities on the 'good' path.
  • Movement is great in comparison to Infamous 1 (haven't played 2 or Festival of Blood).
  • Wish I had a bit more notice on when to change the difficulty. While the evil path will probably, hopefully, be easier, I wanted to get the expert difficulty completion out of the way on the first run.
  • Open world games like this and Rockstar's aren't as grabbing for me as they once were. While I'm finding more engagement in this than I had in RDR and GTAV, I'm finding the multitude of side content to be ruining the pacing as I engage them. The combat is fun though so I don't mind so much, just as things open up a bit quicker and more manageable here than in the other two titles I mentioned.

I only have smoke, so I'll have to give final impressions later. Despite it reading negative, I'm enjoying the game and it's probably my favorite so far on the PS4.

I'm on my second playthrough (evil yes!). I love these games but this one feels really short. My first playthrough ended before I had cleared most of the city just because I was surprised that the core game was already over. It seemed like Infamous 2 was much longer. That's pretty much my only complaint though.

I actually appreciate the shorter, more streamlined approach to this game. The awful, totally repetitive side stuff in the first two games was pure filler and I ended up losing interest about halfway through both games.

This is the first inFamous game that I not only finished, but couldn't wait to jump back in for a second play through.

As soon as I complete my evil play through, I'll have the platinum...and it is a sublime feeling!

Finally Platinumed this game, my second ever (my first ever was Resogun last November, and I've owned a PS3 since 2009. Go figure.)

Final thoughts:

1. Dat evil ending
2. Combat still amazing
3. Game content still paper thin
4. Graphics still unbelievable.
5. Still walking away from this game slightly disappointed.

Huge, huge fan of inFamous series, but I never quite realized how important side content was to the series. It helps with everything. World building, longer playtime, makes more a more fun city, just all around a better experience. The fact that it was all but missing just makes the game feel hollow. It's really making me want to go back to inFamous 2 and get the Plat on that. Call me crazy but the lasting impression of the third game of a series should NOT be "man, I just wanna play the second game right now...".

I really wish it were some other game series that "took one" for the "Sony team". I wish it were some other series that did the whole Launch Window song-and-dance, complete with anemic game content and underwhelming variety. All I know is, there better be a Second Son 2 that returns the series to its former ambition.

DigiMish

Wait, the "proper" way to tag stuff was to turn the controller sideways and paint like that? Because I just turned it sideways for the can shaking part, but painted with it in a regular orientation.

Banzai

Well, I have the platinum. I think what surprised me most in the end was that I felt like more of a badass in the good playthrough.
Video looks better in blue /fact

Duxxy3

Just finished the evil ending. Didn't really blow my mind or anything.

Didn't surprise me that he'd blow his home up given that that was his go-to reaction to that kind of stuff during the story on the evil side. Thought something significant was going to impact the world itself given some of the reactions, but it was similarly small in scope just like the good ending.

I feel like evil Delsin works less than evil Cole. Might be because he's a much better character as a good guy than a bad guy, but it never felt right to play him as evil while I remember it kind of working in the first two games.

I'll agree with that.

I could buy into evil cole. He lost a lot in the first game, and was manipulated. There was a reasonable background for evil cole.

Evil Delsin? Not really, it just made little sense. Grew up with inside a supporting community, and has an amazing brother that looks after him. Going evil is completely out of character for him

Top Bottom