• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Lack of enemy variety makes sense considering the game takes place in a world where the DUP is in charge and their authority (as the game starts) is virtually absolute.

And the enemy variety in I2 was overrated anyway, fighting some of those annoying creatures was a major fun killer, especially when you had to face the ice variation in the swamps...

Raptor

Only got left the "Hat Trick" Trophy but since I only have Smoke now that will be last I think.

And the Signs dudes too but those come out on the second island right?

Sorc3r3r

Lack of enemy variety makes sense considering the game takes place in a world where the DUP is in charge and their authority (as the game starts) is virtually absolute.

Makes total sense for the story, but i'm sure a way to see something else would have been possible to imagine.
Why you have to sacrifice the enemy variety in the name of a story that you can twist as you like?
There is already a conduit that
creates angels and devils
It's a game...

Toadette

Banned
different cut scenes. different powers. different missions. trophies.

so in other words... yes.

holy crap and there was me thinking this was a short game

south-park-renewed-through-2016__oPt.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finally have the platinum so I would score the game an 8.7/10. Loved it and cannot wait for the rest of the paper trail dlc.

fallingdove

I finished the game a second time last night working toward platinum. - Credits roll on expert difficulty - no trophy. "What the hell?" I switched the difficulty to expert as soon as I could during the second playthrough, but apparently that wasn't early enough.

My trophy count now sits at 97%. I don't think I'll hit 100% for some time. Second Son is good but not 3 playthroughs good.

neojubei

I finished the game a second time last night working toward platinum. - Credits roll on expert difficulty - no trophy. "What the hell?" I switched the difficulty to expert as soon as I could during the second playthrough, but apparently that wasn't early enough.

My trophy count now sits at 97%. I don't think I'll hit 100% for some time. Second Son is good but not 3 playthroughs good.

When did you switch to expert mode? i think you had to do it before you reached the loghouse.

I'm cool with more enemy types, but in regards to I2, god no. Bullet sponges that did a fuckton of damage for no reason? They were varied, but annoying as hell.

The story definitely shits on i1 and i2 imo. I couldn't even finish the first infamous because the lack of interesting characters and scrappy story. That was not the case with second son. Infamous 2 was a little better than the first, but second son is the best yet. The characters were awesome especially fetch.

NeeL

Neo Member
On the map, do all districts say that they don't have any cameras left (in the list, not icons on the map)? What happened to me was that I initiated the sequence of events that led to the final boss battle in the middle of clearing a district, and it had the effect of removing all icons from said district until I had completed the story. Maybe it's the same for you?

But I've completed the story, so the icons should re-apper? All districts info on the map says no cameras are left. And the whole map is clean! Maybe you can remind me where this district of final battle is? Space needle?

Kssio_Aug

Im with 71% at Hero mode. Finishing to clear all districts before proceed to the history (
just got my 3rd power at the history
)! o/

neojubei

I'm cool with more enemy types, but in regards to I2, god no. Bullet sponges that did a fuckton of damage for no reason? They were varied, but annoying as hell.
Yes they were so annoying. I liked the enemy types from the first game.

Starting my evil playthrough tonight. What's the general consensus of with path is better/more fun? I already completed good karma.

The good ending made more sense to me but playing as evil was very fun. You just cut loose and go nuts on everyone

sun-drop

just finished my first run through, evil. holy shit at that ending.

great great game. got every shard and upgrade before the latter story arch missions.

the DLC HAS to be muli player mode ... hell even 6 or 9 players would be fun as hell

Vladmiris

Just bought the game should i wait for the patch that enable you to lock the fps or is it ok to start?

It is fine to start. I only noticed an FPS drop doing a Karma Bomb with a bunch of enemies on screen, but you aren't even in control during those and the FPS picks right back up after that.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
But I've completed the story, so the icons should re-apper? All districts info on the map says no cameras are left. And the whole map is clean! Maybe you can remind me where this district of final battle is? Space needle?

its in the bottom right corner of the uptown district.

Just bought the game should i wait for the patch that enable you to lock the fps or is it ok to start?

It was a non issue for me.
Its more than playable.

Makes total sense for the story, but i'm sure a way to see something else would have been possible to imagine.
Why you have to sacrifice the enemy variety in the name of a story that you can twist as you like?
There is already a conduit that
creates angels and devils
It's a game...

A fair point, but I feel they tackled the enemy variation as well as they could in the story they wanted to tell. A sequel could go more 'out there' in terms of enemy variation like I2 did, but I feel those kinds of enemies in I:SS wouldn't be realistic or even make much sense.

And I really cannot stress enough how much I hated most of the enemy variations in I2. They were nothing more attack spamming sponges. The worst kind of enemy you could possibly have in a game..

lord

i just beat to the part with the gian cyber angel, HOLY SHIT, that was awesome, the new power is not that amazing but that battle was great, now to go for the concrete lady

loving this game, could something like traversing the world this fast be done on ps3? anyway, the game looks great, some parts of the graphics i will admit are not that great, but it is a great glimpse on the generation, the effects are great and the screen effects are done well, the gameplay is amazing, it gets iffy when going fast but i have learnt to control it pretty well, maybe i just sucked at it at first. anyway i love this game, and i think it shows that there are good things to come this gen :)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
hmm.

Im on that first evil mission with fetch where I should find the leader of the activists..
Im on the last location and there is neither a group of activists nor a single leader..
What am I supposed to do there?

there is just nothing there..

edit:
nvm, went for shard picking for a while and when i returned the activists were there.

chrislowe

Im 41 or 42% into the game on good karma, but havent got neon power yet, when do I obtain that?.

edit : nevermind.. i found something

pompidu

I went to the Skyscraper
The one where the final fight takes place
and dropped all the way from the top.

The game is my first PS4 platinum, third overall and I can definitely say, it's friggen amazing. Part of me hopes there's a new inFamous in the works, but I'd also love a new IP. So conflicted.

Probably just the first part of it, it's supposed to background download the rest while you play...supposed to :(

Go to the final boss building, climb to the top and use the satellite to boost up higher, fly out a bit using circle so you are over the road and comet drop all the way down ;)

Ok thank you. Can you not access the top until final mission?

The Paper Trail DLC is the biggest pain in the arse. It's a neat idea but in practice it's just tedious. Especially when you have slow ass internet and the sites won't load fully

culafia

Got dat phat plat, STAT.

Final thoughts:
Overall game:
/10
Hero playthrough:
/10
Evil playthrough:
/10
The story is kinda broke and inconsistent on Evil
Best supporting character:
Reggie
Best power:
Neon (dat Astro Boy Karma move)
Best ending:
Good in a practical plot sense, but the final Evil cutscene is AMAZING
What I think they should do next:
Follow the good ending, have Delsin lose his powers to the next big bad immediately, drop Fetch and Eugene, bring back 40 year old Zeke, water/steam powers and 3 more interesting ones, more involved Native American plot, competitive/cooperative multiplayer, maybe make
Reggie not dead?

billy323

Banned
Just Platinumed yesterday Awesome game but short. Think I may trade in for store credit while its still worth plenty. Game will give £39 if I make them price match CEX.

Skenzin

Banned
Had the strangest thing happen today. Went to go play my Digital version of Second Son and its gone. Nowhere on my PS4 at all. Nothing listed in app data. All my other games are fine. Whats strange is it was still uploading save data to the cloud.

I'm downloading it again now. But how bizarre.

No Love

Banned
Just finished my evil expert playthrough (my first playthrough)... WOW. That ending. Fucking brilliant. I really, really hope that's canon in the Infamous mythos because it was so well done that I know the good ending is just going to be disappointing in comparison.

Also, I think Delsin was a really kick-ass character and I hope he's in Infamous 4 in some way. If the evil ending is canon, I get the feeling he will end up playing a big role in it.

psychotron

How long do you have to switch difficulty to Expert? I forgot to switch it on my just started Evil playthrough until just after you meet Augustine for the first time. Am I good?

Einhandr

GAF, I had a blast playing SS. This was actually the first infamous game that I've played through, and once my backlog diminishes a bit, I'm thinking of going back and playing one and two.

With that said, I've already platinum'd SS and since traded it in when I realized I never used my Cole's Legacy code...

Code went to SnakeXs. Thanks for being awesome GAF!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
GAF, I had a blast playing SS. This was actually the first infamous game that I've played through, and once my backlog diminishes a bit, I'm thinking of going back and playing one and two.

With that said, I've already platinum'd SS and since traded it in when I realized I never used my Cole's Legacy code...

To whoever wants it: I'll send the code in a PM to the first person to quote this post :D [it's an NA code btw]

Yes please! :D

mstevens

I think I'm the only person who has noticed a difference between easy and expert.

Question: What are the checkpoints like for the
final boss
? I could see it being pretty annoying depending on how the checkpoints are handled.

emb

I just finished. It ended sooner than I expected. Really fun game! Loved the mobility of some of these powers.

Is there not a
steam
power? I thought
it looked like there were some obvious spots to recharge it.

Top Bottom