• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Friction

Finally finished the game. All I can say that the visuals were definitely excellent, but the overall game was mediocre. Main culprit were the side missions and the boss fights. Which are not very interesting or challenging.

It hovers around an 8 for me. It would have been lower if not for the better story and voice acting.

Edit: I played only the "good" play through.

Platinum.

Just finished my Evil playthrough and would agree with others, I felt much more of a badass playing as Good. Not quite sure why that is.

Anyway, great game, I look forward to any DLC (hopefully story-based with new powers) in the future.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just got my platinum as well! Holy shit @
the evil ending!
It was definitely a shocker. I really had a blast getting the platinum in this game.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I'm pretty sure the intent is for you to hold it vertically and spray with R2 as if you're holding a can of spray paint pressing on the release button.

yeah this.
It definately is intended to be Held sideways.
Just feels intuitive.

I think sucker punch should release stand alone multi player dlc where you can chase another person 1-on-1. The chases were one my favourite parts of the game and I feel it could really work.

Anyone here remember The sly 3 minigame cops and robbers? I think I played that for 10 hoes with friends over the years. If they could somehow recreate that I'd be so damn grateful!

Dragon

Banned
Wait, the "proper" way to tag stuff was to turn the controller sideways and paint like that? Because I just turned it sideways for the can shaking part, but painted with it in a regular orientation.

If you want to get through the tagging missions, remote play with the Vita. It allows you to do them but you just finish them right away. Made my good run pretty quick with those.

I really liked the game, but I actually think the first two games are much better. If all games had the same level of graphics, most people would find the first two games better.

Whilst there are more powers in this game, they aren't actually anywhere near as diverse as the powers in the first two games, it makes you feel less powerful.

The enemies in the game aren't very diverse either. The second game seemed to have loads of enemies. Ice conduits, swamp people, Bertrand, soldiers etc.

Also the plot is pretty uneventful, really think Delsin should have went to
curden cay
at the end of the game.

sun-drop

i went through 100 % on normal for my evil run.

but even a small way into expert on good feels so much different ... maybe it's a more tactical approach to combat, using choke and being forced to survey my suroundings more ... enjoying it a lot more. that might come from a sense of knowing the lay of the land a bit coming off the evil run.

The way it was intended. I did it this way and it felt fine, really liked the implementation of it all.

I think if it was the way it was intended it would have stopped working and a prompt would have come up asking you to hold it sideways again. Kinda like it does for the rest of the game, such as keepng hold of the touchpad when you're destroying the DUP truck.

It was insanely accurate and moved the paint cursor in the right direction when held normally, so saying it was the "way it was intended" is a bit presumptuous.

However, to each his own.

I think if it was the way it was intended it would have stopped working and a prompt would have come up asking you to hold it sideways again. Kinda like it does for the rest of the game, such as keepng hold of the touchpad when you're destroying the DUP truck.

It was insanely accurate and moved the paint cursor in the right direction when held normally, so saying it was the "way it was intended" is a bit presumptuous.

However, to each his own.

Well, I think it's fair to assume that holding it sideways is the way it was intended, as not only is it explicitly instructed as such but it's also obviously meant to simulate holding a spray can, in a crude kind of way. That said, it's not wrong to hold it normally of course, and it would just cause annoyance if it stopped working when tilted a bit too far to the side. Either way, it's an absolute minimal part of the experience so I can't really see why it's debated in the first place.

After finishing it two times I still feel like going back in from the start again, which really speaks volumes to me as I tend to get bored with games for a while right after I finish them. Will wait for the patch though.

Raptor

Got my Platinum, still undecided if I should trade this now or wait for maybe some DLC.

Great game, I really loved it more than AC4 in the gameplay department, not on the content department though, while some may think that less is great Im one of the crazy persons that like tons of collectibles and sidestuff, still loved it.

Evil Delsin felt way better to me because I had more fun that way, combat is more punchy.

Skenzin

Banned
At first I was like 'well this game is a shallow tech demo.' Reminded me of playing Spiderman1 game for the Xbox. The more I play the more I realize how fun it is and really like the decisions they made. It's up there with Crackdown as far as fun goes.

Edit: playing it through Evil. Getting to blast urban hipsters is so cathartic.

FUCK!!!!! Someone Spoiler Tag how to beat that
fucking Angel Demon
. I spent 2 hours trying to beat that damn thing and I can't my quick twitch is sub par now that I'm older.

Thanks in Advance.

Raptor

fucking Angel Demon
. I spent 2 hours trying to beat that damn thing and I can't my quick twitch is sub par now that I'm older.

Thanks in Advance.

Someone earlier in this thread said he had discovered a way to do it easier, thats the tactic I used too, just use the light beams that elevates you to shot missiles at him, just stand there on teh beams and Delsin will bounce up and down use that at your favor.

fucking Angel Demon

Thanks in Advance.

Also, you can hang onto platforms on the opposite side of the boss, and you're invulnerable while sniping his underlings.

JoRo

Someone earlier in this thread said he had discovered a way to do it easier, thats the tactic I used too, just use the light beams that elevates you to shot missiles at him, just stand there on teh beams and Delsin will bounce up and down use that at your favor.

I did this same thing. When I fought him on expert, it was easier than on normal on my first play through.

Melchiah

Also, you can hang onto platforms on the opposite side of the boss, and you're invulnerable while sniping his underlings.

I'll be sure to remember those now that I'm doing the expert run. I hated that boss fight on normal, and I've been dreading it on harder difficulty.

Levyne

Banned
I had one question guys, how long is Second Son?
And if I did not like the previous two inFamous games, am I likely to like this one?

~15-20 hours to 100%, maybe?

No.

Edit: Huh. Maybe you will like it, seeing the post below. I just thought the games were similar enough at their cores.

I had one question guys, how long is Second Son?
And if I did not like the previous two inFamous games, am I likely to like this one?

I didn't enjoy either of the first 2 inFamous games and I loved SS. I'm the type of player that will beat a game once and rarely revisit, but I jumped right back into SS and am really enjoying my evil playthrough on expert. I put about 12 hours into 100% my first playthrough and I never 100% any game. Give it a shot

Ishan

fucking Angel Demon

Thanks in Advance.
you do a lot more dmg to him if you shoot the angels he breaks up into from time to time. Try shooting as many of those before he reassembles.

I'm on the verge of buying a PS4 and Infamous for my little brother (his bday is this Friday).

A few questions about the latter:

1.) Is it worth $60?

2.) On what level would you put the open-world of the game? Are we talking on the level of GTA V? Or another open-world game you can compare it to?

3.) For anyone familiar with Hulk Ultimate Destruction, which is an open world game where you have a ton of moves and can destroy basically everything, is Infamous like that?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
1.) Is it worth $60? Yes.

2.) On what level would you put the open-world of the game? Are we talking on the level of GTA V? Or another open-world game you can compare it to? No, not GTA-like. Most like Infamous 1 and 2, Crackdown.

3.) For anyone familiar with Hulk Ultimate Destruction, which is an open world game where you have a ton of moves and can destroy basically everything, is Infamous like that? I suppose one set of powers makes you feel like the Hulk...

1.) Is it worth $60?

That depends. How much of a fan are you of inFamous or superhero games? Do you consider a game that can be beat in ~8 hours and Platinumed in ~20-25 worth $60? If you want longevity and want to swim in game content than steer clear until it's cheaper. This is a laser-focused game that barely has any side content at all.

2.) On what level would you put the open-world of the game? Are we talking on the level of GTA V? Or another open-world game you can compare it to?

inFamous as a series it not at all like GTA. GTA focuses on large, believable worlds, and prides itself in the interactivity. inFamous treats its city like a superhero's playground. Don't expect to play darts, watch TV, go to movies, or what have you. With Second Son you have exactly 1 story mission to tackle at any one time and random 30-second side activities sprinkled throughout. The city is immensely detailed but significantly smaller than your average open world game and not at all "interactive". It's all about running up buildings and blowing shit/people up. It's an action series through and through, it just happens to have a thin open-world-ish layer on top of it.

3.) For anyone familiar with Hulk Ultimate Destruction, which is an open world game where you have a ton of moves and can destroy basically everything, is Infamous like that?

Only a few buildings are destructible, but most everything in the game's world aside from that and cars are static. Traversal and your superpowers are incredibly fun, you have tons of moves as well, and they're all good for one thing or another. 90% of the game is the combat system, which amazingly good, so if you're looking for an action and combat heavy game you've come to the right place. Just don't be disappointed that the game is pretty much all combat.

j8yMmX6.jpg

My waifu

Cragvis

Once you beat the game, can you still keep playing in the world, cleaning up anything you missed?

I think im about to beat it, and want to get as many trophies as I can before I start expert difficulty.

Maligna

Banned
Does anyone else feel the beginning section before you get to Seattle was the best part? Don't get me wrong, I love the whole game. But when it changed from a linear story with finely crafted environments tailored to the narrative, to an open world that feels largely homogeneous and bland it made me really want the next game to be a more guided experience like say, Alan Wake.

Top Bottom