• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

viveks86

the truly scary part about how amazing infamous looks is the realization that uncharted 4 will undeniably look a lot better. And that's insane to think about.

Agreed. I don't think we have hit the ceiling yet. We are just getting started! Every little engine optimization allows for better visuals. Also, i'm pretty sure we are still several firmwares away from a fully optimized os for maximum resource availability in-game

Lingitiz

15 Hours including side missions AND collectibles?

That sounds on the low side IMO, I put 50+ hours on AC4 doing all side stuff and collectibles.

~10-15 is in line with past Infamous games. It's worth replaying on the good/evil sides too. AC4 is not a great comparison since it's just packed with context, most of which is fairly mediocre.

I don't know if this question already has been asked/answered but for the people who already have the game:

Does the city feel "alive" this time around (i.e. ambient noises, people walking around, voices giving you a feeling of that the city is bristling with people) ?

That was a big dissapointment for me in inFamous 1 and 2 so I'd love to read some impressions about that.

In my opinion, yes.

Raptor

Infamous has never been 50+ hours

1 and 2 average about ~18 hours if you do all sidequests and other stuff. That doesnt factor in a second playthrough either.

Forgot about this and that you can play very different the second time, all is good then :)

~10-15 is in line with past Infamous games. It's worth replaying on the good/evil sides too. AC4 is not a great comparison since it's just packed with context, most of which is fairly mediocre.

Yeah I forgot this one has choices and good/evil side stuff :p

Endo Punk

Infamous has never been 50+ hours

1 and 2 average about ~18 hours if you do all sidequests and other stuff. That doesnt factor in a second playthrough either.

infamous is an open world games for gamers who feel overwhelmed with the content in open world games. It hits hard and knows when to bow out

What difficulty are u playing on?
Normal. It can be pretty tough, I've definitely died a fair share when I've gone to DUP bases to wreck havoc.

Without giving anything away, how many different types of collectibles are there?
Collectibles was probably the wrong word, I should have just said activities. Maybe 5 or 6?

15 Hours including side missions AND collectibles?

That sounds on the low side IMO, I put 50+ hours on AC4 doing all side stuff and collectibles.
Yeah the world just isn't as big as ACIV. Also I think a lot of people are going to want to play it again with the opposite karma just to see what difference it makes.

So you impressions?
The smoke powers seem more of the same, really. As in pretty similar to electricity from the first two, so I'm hoping once I get more I get tons more variety.

Honestly, I only have a few complaints right now. One being that the HUD is unnecessarily huge and there's no way to make it smaller or less obstructive. Another is there's so much talking and you can't really do much until said talking is done, since they give you an objective... makes it really slow.

Overall though, I'm loving this. I can't believe I had second thoughts a month ago. It looks fantastic, the voice acting is great, it's open world at its best. And yeah, like Neuromancer said, it can be a little tough at times on Normal.

Dead

well not really...yet
I must have spent several hours just destroying stuff in Infamous 2 for no reason.

If the powers in SS are as awesome as they seem, then I can see that lasting even longer lol

DryvBy

It's moved up to the top selling game right now!

UJK9Vhd.png

Please don't suck!

Loudninja

The smoke powers seem more of the same, really. As in pretty similar to electricity from the first two, so I'm hoping once I get more I get tons more variety.

Honestly, I only have a few complaints right now. One being that the HUD is unnecessarily huge and there's no way to make it smaller or less obstructive. Another is there's so much talking and you can't really do much until said talking is done, since they give you an objective... makes it really slow.

Overall though, I'm loving this. I can't believe I had second thoughts a month ago. It looks fantastic, the voice acting is great, it's open world at its best. And yeah, like Neuromancer said, it can be a little tough at times on Normal.
Thank you for the detail impressions.

Sooo glad people are enjoying the game. I said i wasnt going to come back to this thread.. i lied haha. Good impressions guys, glad youre enjoying it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
infamous is an open world games for gamers who feel overwhelmed with the content in open world games. It hits hard and knows when to bow out
Yep. It's also designed to be played through twice. I'd rather a smaller, more detailed and well designed world than one that's just big and filled with copy/paste assets.

solarus

People who are complaining about a 15 hour length and saying it should be more like the 50 hour plus assassin's creed iv are ruining the industry. Ubisoft open world game design is god awful, that play length is hugely inflated by hoards of collectibles, various filler side quests that aren't much fun and randomly generated fodder events and the main story quests were somehow even worse than the optional objectives. I wish derrick was her to spew his hate about ubisoft's open world design philosophy. If you have all the time in the world though, maybe you enjoy more time in a game rather than more quality.

viveks86

Normal. It can be pretty tough, I've definitely died a fair share when I've gone to DUP bases to wreck havoc

Oh! That sounds like quite a lot considering 2 playthroughs. Was planning to play on expert, though i'm not that good at it. Looks like i'm gonna have a tough time beating this game in a month! Yay!

TMC

Must. Resist. Temptation. inFAMOUS. Agghh! I might end up buying the game just to stare at the cover while I save for a PS4 next month haha!

I couldn't even imagine buying the game without owning a PS4. That will be torture for you man! haha

Phlebas

Banned
People who are complaining about a 15 hour length and saying it should be more like the 50 hour plus assassin's creed iv are ruining the industry. Ubisoft open world game design is god awful, that play length is hugely inflated by hoards of collectibles, various filler side quests that aren't much fun and randomly generated fodder events and the main story quests were somehow even worse than the optional objectives. I wish derrick was her to spew his hate about ubisoft's open world design philosophy. If you have all the time in the world though, maybe you enjoy more time in a game rather than more quality.

Quality over quantity I'll say.

I just finished Black Flag the other day.

It felt so underwhelming and tedious that I only did the content necessary so I could finally stop playing the game.

This is just about perfect for infamous and will be giving it a second play through.

TMC

the story of us launch units users

Totally didn't think of that. I did have 5 launch games purchased before I had the PS4. That was only a week before the PS4 though (for me anyways). We didn't have the ability to get the PS4 early though of course. I totally would break down and buy a PS4 if I was AdanVC haha.

viveks86

Are people ok with discussing load times here? How long does it take to boot to main menu? How long to play? Die and restart? And what hard drrive?

Well, yeah. But looking at BEYOND, GOW Ascension and The Last of Us last-gen, we might not ever hit that ceiling. The only difference I'd say, due to the hardware being less complex, is that we'll reach peak graphical performance sooner than that gen. The relative lack of complexity means that we'll reach 'good' graphics sooner (Infamous: Second Son is evidence of this) and also push the console to its limit sooner. Whether the ceiling is ever hit within the next 7 years is something else entirely.
And then we have stuff like this which is just running off the PS3 development pipeline used for Beyond: Two Souls “shoving in a bunch of high-fidelity assets”.

iiK4YoFLOxWan.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
If people want something to tide themselves over then Festival of Blood is $2.50 on PSN right now. Picked it up based on some recommendations here and it's great fun.

Best graphics of the Infamous games (besides SS of course). Best atmosphere, most city life. Story is fun. Put in about an hour and I'm already more than a quarter of the way through. So it's a nice snack before the main course on Friday.

Top Bottom