• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Ascenion

Just an FYI to everyone, stay off the Wikipedia page as it spoils the 3rd power. Found this out thanks to my roommate who is now dead to me until Friday.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
There is no question in my mind, definitely better than inFAMOUS 2
diZ7T9e.gif

I2 was my shit. I need this game in my veins.

Just an FYI to everyone, stay off the Wikipedia page as it spoils the 3rd power. Found this out thanks to my roommate who is now dead to me until Friday.

Stay out of the "waiting for approval" section of "That other site" too. They've been putting the powers in Article Titles.

This game honestly shits on infamous 2 from a great height, and I love infamous 2.

No new game plus, sorry folks, not sure why this game would really need one though.

I didn't love inFamous 2, but I can say I loved Second Son. This is the first time an inFamous game clicked for me like this, I always enjoyed the others, but never hit this level.

FMbarbarian

Just finished it I can confirm that it's better than Infamous 2. For perspective I would consider Infamous 2 one of my top 10 favorite games of last gen.

velcry

Just finished it I can confirm that it's better than Infamous 2. For perspective I would consider Infamous 2 one of my top 10 favorite games of last gen.

Do you feel that the lack of any user-generated content (the UGC content which other players created in Infamous 2) made the game any less satisfying?

Thanks for any info!

demolitio

I'm just happy to hear the combat feels more impactful and that the story is a lot better this time around. I'm assuming you could confirm that?

I was one of those people that loved inFAMOUS 2 as well. While it had a decent amount of setbacks, the shit that it did right made it one of my favorite single-player games last generation. It was a pretty damn good looking open world game as well and it always surprised me when people said it looked ugly.

Hope this one gets good reviews. We know it will get nitpicked to death on a lot of things, but it seems to be quite the evolution for the franchise and a worthy exclusive from the impressions we've heard. I just don't trust most reviewers these days given recent events and they still have a lot of influence. Sucker Punch deserves success after always being excluded in the list of good studios.

Shadownet

Banned
So this will be the first exclusive for Sony since launch date. Titanfall was the first for Microsoft.

Those who is playing the game right now. Do you think this will score better than what Titanfall is scoring? Which I believe is 8.9 on Metacritic, and 6.2 for users.

demolitio

Mark my words man the second the reviews come in Thursday Sucker Punch is gonna be on the map.

I hope so. Like I said, I'm just skeptical when it comes to the critics in this industry for numerous reasons. Hell, you can't even fully trust technical analyses anymore. I'm a gamer at heart and want the good games to succeed and keep going regardless of the bullshit around them.

There's so many things about the series that makes me love it and I want it to catch on in a big way so we get more unique games like it.

This series has always been overlooked, but I think with the timing of this game's launch so early in the PS4's life along with it's jaw-dropping visuals, it could really give SP the attention they deserve and the series more room to grow. I understand that some won't like it's gameplay and I know it's not for everyone, but I think a lot of people that would enjoy it overlook the series and Second Son can hopefully change that.

If the impressions are anything to go by, the reviews should be pretty good but you never know. :p

So ummm I just beat the game and the ending was....uh...how do I say this...FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Seriously did you guys play the same game I just did? For anyone who's hype meter hasn't hit the maximum yet let me just say that my favorite studio on the planet is Naughty Dog, but this is my favorite game of all time. It was mature, well written, and an all around masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Greatness awaits GAF, have fun on Friday!

Beat it on good by the way, and I am immediately starting my evil playthrough.
Your favourite game of all time?
i2OHZE9.gif

FMbarbarian

I'm just happy to hear the combat feels more impactful and that the story is a lot better this time around. I'm assuming you could confirm that?

I was one of those people that loved inFAMOUS 2 as well. While it had a decent amount of setbacks, the shit that it did right made it one of my favorite single-player games last generation. It was a pretty damn good looking open world game as well and it always surprised me when people said it looked ugly.

Hope this one gets good reviews. We know it will get nitpicked to death on a lot of things, but it seems to be quite the evolution for the franchise and a worthy exclusive from the impressions we've heard. I just don't trust most reviewers these days given recent events and they still have a lot of influence. Sucker Punch deserves success after always being excluded in the list of good studios.

What really stands out about the story on Second Son is that they find a good balance with the characters. They're not completely over the top like in 2 or underdeveloped like in 1. Their motivations are more believable without losing all sense of fun.

SlickVic

Just realized that Troy Baker and Laura Bailey are in this game, as well as the last big open world game with super powers (Saints Row IV). Kind of a neat coincidence.

velcry

Mark my words man the second the reviews come in Thursday Sucker Punch is gonna be on the map.

I really hope so too! If all goes well, maybe one day we can look back at this game and say that it was to Sucker Punch what Uncharted 2 was to Naughty Dog.

... Now I can't decide if I should risk the digital download (just in case the store updates late on Friday) or make the long trudge out to the nearest game store to get a copy on release day!

Your favourite game of all time?
i2OHZE9.gif

I know it sounds like hyperbole haha, but I am a sucker for good gameplay and good writing. The gameplay is good old infamous for the most part with new bells and whistles and a lot of refinement but I am really impressed with how each character in this game is developed, has a believable motivation for their actions, and is voice acted very well. I honestly laughed more times playing this game than anything in recent memory except for South Park which isn't really comparable.

I'm also a guy from Seattle who wears beanies all the time so I suppose I am the target demographic, keep that in mind haha.

Zephyx

Not gonna get this as I don't have a PS4 but damn... it looks and plays awesome! I want one now but I'll wait. :)

Are you guys playing with the day 1 patch yet?

fedexpeon

Banned
Someone is streaming now, not sure but absolutely potential for spoilers, you have been warned:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/xstride-s-ps4-live-show

Been watching this for 2hrs...How is this possible on the PS4?
So many pixels and special effects during battle.
The concrete block power from the DUP grunts is littering the screen as well when there are 3-4 of them on the screen using the power.
This is Michael Bay wetdream.

Edit: With DUP grunts

Alienous

Don't read the comment I quoted. Avoid the page.

Fedexpeon.

You didn't.

You fucking didn't.

Really, dude? Really?

Wait, did you? I'm going to take my confusion about whether you spoiled a power or not as excuse to leave. Maybe you're talking about the DUP power. If so, I apologize.

I know it sounds like hyperbole haha, but I am a sucker for good gameplay and good writing. The gameplay is good old infamous for the most part with new bells and whistles and a lot of refinement but I am really impressed with how each character in this game is developed, has a believable motivation for their actions, and is voice acted very well. I honestly laughed more times playing this game than anything in recent memory except for South Park which isn't really comparable.

I'm also a guy from Seattle who wears beanies all the time so I suppose I am the target demographic, keep that in mind haha.
Sounds good to me. I've had a few problems with inFamous games though:

1) is the mission design more interesting than go to this sector and destroy this power station / cameras etc

2) is the world alive with interesting things to do? Cool side missions and distractions?

3) is the platforming challenging?

4) also how is the sound? The cities have always been ridiculously quiet and dead to me

Sounds good to me. I've had a few problems with inFamous games though:

1) is the mission design more interesting than go to this sector and destroy this power station / cameras etc

2) is the world alive with interesting things to do? Cool side missions and distractions?

3) is the platforming challenging?

4) also how is the sound? The cities have always been ridiculously quiet and dead to me

1.) The main missions all maintain a good amount of variety between them, I was never bored. The side missions however while still fun are pretty typical in regards to infamous, but I would say there are more of them.

2.) There are some fun side missions one type in particular
lets you tag graffiti around the city at specified points. As far as interacting with the city though, there isn't as much there but it is par for the course as far as infamous goes.

3.) I thought it was the perfect amount of difficulty, some missions are very traversal heavy.

4.) The sound is one of the best parts of the game! No story spoilers here but some cool environmental stuff:
Every power has very realistic sound effects and the background music is really great and low key when it needs to be. As far as pedestrians are concerned people have blown it way out of proportion, seeing 15+ people at a time on any given street is not uncommon. And some of the things that people say as you run by are hilarious!

Random chick on the street: "You can smoke me anytime Delsin!"

Delsin: "That is wrong on so many levels."

That one cracked me up along with a few others.

Top Bottom