• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

Shouta

Gerald said:
Yeah,
in this battle you're limited to only two ships maximum, since my max fleet size is three and the NPC bails on you. I'm going with a battleship and carrier. Dodging has been painful, though, because this boss seems to love to pepper me with normal shots.

Oh, in that case remove
the carrier and try another battleship maybe? Drop the enemy as hard as possible before it kills ya is always a strat.

Gerald

Shouta said:
Oh, in that case remove
the carrier and try another battleship maybe? Drop the enemy as hard as possible before it kills ya is always a strat.

I thought about running with
two battleships, but I believe you actually net more damage output with a battleship + destroyer since the battle gauge is that much faster. I'm going with a battleship + carrier on these attempts so that I can use the fighters (essentially a damage over time effect) while running away to keep my ships safe. It hasn't worked so far, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Gerald

FINALLY! After about 100 tries I finally cleared that stage.

Haha, mid-game credits! I saw the Nudemaker and Sega logos and was all WTF?! Was that a 30+ hour tutorial??? OMG, YURI THE MAN! Love it.

duckroll

Gerald said:

Haha, mid-game credits! I saw the Nudemaker and Sega logos and was all WTF?! Was that a 30+ hour tutorial??? OMG, YURI THE MAN! Love it.

Congrats. :)

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Gerald said:
I believe the in-game help robot has info on every skill you've unlocked. I've also taken the old-school approach and brought out the pen and paper to take notes. An in-game quest log would have been nice, but it hasn't been that big a deal to just jot down the yellow text whenever I encounter it.

I think the skills he's talking about are the ones that crew members have (Like Kira's Medic or Amateur Chef ones.) What specific bonuses do those give? I didn't see it listed in Help anywhere...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks for the official thread.

My copy doesn't ship from Amazon until Monday, unfortunately, but I have a ton of other games that released this week to keep me busy :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gerald said:

Bwahahaha, sounds like that tough battle had a real motherfucker of a payoff. Congratulations. I was rootin' for you. :)

JayDubya

Banned
Damn, Amazon raised the price. >_< I was interested, but the more this eats into my budget, the less likely I am to take a chance on it.

survivor

Banned
Got it online. Just waiting for Amazon to ship it. Don't know if I will have enough time to play it while I'm still going through Soul Silver and waiting for Strange Journey.

eznark

Banned
I am completely turned off by the aesthetics and animation but intrigued by the story and what I have heard of the mechanics. Will the game play be enough to overlook the anime?

duckroll

eznark said:
I am completely turned off by the aesthetics and animation but intrigued by the story and what I have heard of the mechanics. Will the game play be enough to overlook the anime?

The anime promo shorts are not really representative of the game's actual narrative tone at all.

eznark

Banned
duckroll said:
The anime promo shorts are not really representative of the game's actual narrative tone at all.
Really? I was gung-ho to get this game until I saw those promo videos a couple weeks ago but those were a total turnoff to me.

Hmm, might have to go pick this thing up after all. Pretty much ready to shelf Heracles.

Mejilan

Idly walked into a GameStop today because it's beautiful out and I didn't feel like sticking around the office during my lunch hour, as I usually do; when I saw this on the wall of the DS section. Man, did I ever want to just buy it right then and there. I REALLY hope that my copy from Amazon arrives today.
Edit - Nevermind. Tracking confirms that delivery was made a few hours ago. YES.

Volcynika

Mejilan said:
Idly walked into a GameStop today because it's beautiful out and I didn't feel like sticking around the office during my lunch hour, as I usually do; when I saw this on the wall of the DS section. Man, did I ever want to just buy it right then and there. I REALLY hope that my copy from Amazon arrives today.
Edit - Nevermind. Tracking confirms that delivery was made a few hours ago. YES.

My copy has arrived too! :D

(RoF not till tomorrow though :/)

Mejilan

So excited! Dumping the ROM now, but at a fair 232.41MBs, this is not going to pass quickly!
EXCITE!

ag-my001

Alright, so all the impressions (specifically the spoiler text that shows combat isn't completely repetitive) convinced me to go pick up this game, even though yesterday was the first I'd heard of it. Of course, every Gamestop in town was out/never had it, so on a whim I went to Wal-mart. No sign of it there, either, but they did had FE:SD for $10, so all in all it was a worthwhile trip. TRU.com is offering free shipping, so I'll just go that route.

matmanx1

I picked it up pretty much blind based on Duckroll's impressions and a few early previews and I'm glad I did. It's like nothing else on the DS and it scratches several nerdy itches all at once (space opera story, spaceship combat, strategic battles, ship building and tweaking) for a modest price.

I'm going on vacation in early April and this game and Strange Journey will be coming with me for some quality time.

Dineren

Banned
Received my copy from Amazon today. My backlog from this month alone is starting to get pretty ridiculous though. I have no idea when I'll get back to this once Strange Journey arrives, hopefully I can make good progress on it this weekend.

WreckTheLaw

midway through chapter 2 spoilers:
I really wish Yuri would've perma-lost that eye. It would've suited him. That said I'm fairly sure that it will pay off later - someone, probably Valentin, will lose his own eye.

I'm in the middle of chapter three, trying to save up for my first battleship. Man that thing is expensive. Currently the Anaximander (DD) and Empedocles (CG) are pulling their weight (and are just now reaching fully-modded status.) The Daisy on the other hand...

I'm satisfied with the tone of the narrative so far. It isn't as hot-blooded as I thought (secretly feared) it would be, but it also hasn't traded in all of the charm of the hopeful youth scenario. I like the Firefly, Gundam, and Cowboy Bebop comparisons because, especially this early own, we're dealing with a small (but growing) character list, incompetent/corrupt authorities, mysterious motivations, and this neat b-plot that seems to be setting up
outside influence as the cause of Yuri & Kira's placement and skills, a la Outlaw Star, actually.

I suspect that as the game continues it will become more and more like Suikoden, though. Small requests completed to add more members to the massive force before a final conclusion. Oh Man, Oh Man. I just considered Luca Blight with a spaceship. I want that game.

Freyjadour said:
Between XIII and SJ, I have no time to start playing this right now :(. As with RoF, it is going to straight to the shelf. Shame, looks fantastic.

AND Might & Magic X Anime. There's been alot of DS RPGs of the last year, but only recently has it ones that I MUST have rather than wanna test drive. When it rains it pours, I guess.
GAWD DAMMIT SEGA GIMMEH MAH 7TH DRAGON GUDNESS IF AH BUY THIS ASDFASDFASDF

Yagharek

duckroll said:
Man, there are way more people here playing this game in English than I ever expected... :eek:

Glad I made this thread!

I'm annoyed because play asia seem to have put a hold on preorders and I want to be able to buy the damn thing!!!! ><

Oh well, out locally next week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My god Sega... at least have someone run spell check on your (Canadian) box art:

"A S Yuri, interact with over 100 characters..."

Good job. :p

Found a game store in Melbourne that had this, I said "wtf" out loud and bought it immediately. Pretty awesome considering I pretty much never go to game stores any more.
Slowish start but now I'm hooked, lack of quest-log is frustrating though because I have no idea what to do now.
Help! Stuck on Ch. 2, Capt. Vald...whatever saved me from the Space Pirates and says I he wants to talk to me at the base, I go there and they say he's gone. I've gone back and forth to every planet and tavern in that sector and nothing is triggering. Where do I go? I got that bar chick to join me to see the Capt. guy but he still isn't there.

duckroll

I should be doing hw said:
Found a game store in Melbourne that had this, I said "wtf" out loud and bought it immediately. Pretty awesome considering I pretty much never go to game stores any more.
Slowish start but now I'm hooked, lack of quest-log is frustrating though because I have no idea what to do now.
Help! Stuck on Ch. 2, Capt. Vald...whatever saved me from the Space Pirates and says I he wants to talk to me at the base, I go there and they say he's gone. I've gone back and forth to every planet and tavern in that sector and nothing is triggering. Where do I go? I got that bar chick to join me to see the Capt. guy but he still isn't there.

Trying talking to some people at the base multiple times.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Having a lot of fun with this one. While the mechanics of combat are fairly simple figuring out when to use each one keeps it interesting. Feels like a game of poker.

I don't suppose there is a way to rotate ship modules? Next time I'll pay attention to ship height when buying. My current destroyers are flat as a pancake, makes it hard to fit in all the vertical modules.

duckroll

Woo-Fu said:
Having a lot of fun with this one. While the mechanics of combat are fairly simple figuring out when to use each one keeps it interesting. Feels like a game of poker.

I don't suppose there is a way to rotate ship modules? Next time I'll pay attention to ship height when buying. My current destroyers are flat as a pancake, makes it hard to fit in all the vertical modules.

Nope. The shapes are meant to be deliberately incompatible with certain ship types, to make you consider carefully what sort of modules you plan on putting on a ship before actually building one.

WreckTheLaw

Really digging this still. The thing I'm currently impressed by is how well they can convey scale. Yuri and his crew run into a massive ship in chapter two, but they make it seem so exceptional that I sort of disregarded it. When you go up against your first battleship towards the end of chapter three, it just dwarfs everything. It really makes me want to grind out the dough to buy my own ASAP. (Plus, the Daisy is really not pulling her weight in that third slot anymore.)

I'm curious what people chose at the end of chapter three, re:
Argun

Also, man, I can not say enough about how important it is to have good security people for melee battles. It turns it from a luckfest into a slaughter...fest.

GeekyDad

Great game; lots of little nagging issues. After playing through for a few hours, I can see some of IGN's frustration with the game. Considering the way the maps are made up, a log of objectives really should be present. I don't mind being left to my own devices to figure certain things out for myself, but yeah, leave the game for a bit and come back, and it's easy to forget what you should be doing or where you should be going.

Probably my main issue with the game is the amount of experience and gold the game doles out versus the difficulty of battles. Sure seems to take forever to level crew members up. Of course, considering the number of crew members you'll eventually have on hand and how they all stack up to power your fleet, it seems like it could balance itself out -- haven't played enough of the game yet to really judge that.

Otherwise, though, I'm really digging this game. I wasn't really expecting so much depth in terms of crew assignments. I was thinking you would have a bridge party that would basically equate to a battle party in a typical JRPG, but man, they take it way further than that. The module system kind of plays out similarly to the system in Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, which I really like. Lots of reading, though, in order to get up to speed on all of the game's mechanics. Definitely not an RPG for the impatient (of which I can often be guilty of being). Presentation-wise, wow, this game has some epic moments.

Mejilan

Only put about 20 minutes into it last night, but some of the early cutscenes confused me, in that they seemed to convey similar events in totally different lights.

I haven't really opened up full exploration or customization yet, but the few battles I've engaged in so far are quite promising. The real time elements definitely make it.

I'm halfway through Lunar 2 at the moment, so I'll probably be setting this aside for at least another week or so, but so far so awesome! (I think I used the word 'so' way too many times in that last sentence. Oh well.)

botticus

I've played a few hours on the plane and otherwise - took me till Chapter 2 to start paying attention to battles and figure out how to plan for/predict attacks, though I'm still finding lots of problems with Normal attacks kicking my ass when I'm anticipating a barrage. Hopefully coasting around getting some fame will help me recruit some new people - and get a few more dollars for a second ship that has weapons.

Mejilan

Are the touch screen controls a bit fussy for anyone else? Where sometimes selections just don't register for whatever reason (too narrow hitboxes?) I'm hoping it's not my touch screen going kaput... I'll have to test it with more games later tonight.

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Are the touch screen controls a bit fussy for anyone else? Where sometimes selections just don't register for whatever reason (too narrow hitboxes?) I'm hoping it's not my touch screen going kaput... I'll have to test it with more games later tonight.

I didn't find the controls overly fussy, but being a menu driven touchscreen game can be a bit less precise especially coming from normal games. I found the buttons big enough that I never had anything not quite register personally...

Mejilan

Well, that's troubling. I'll test things out tonight with a bit of Spirit Tracks. Maybe I was just too tired. I actually missed a few opportunities to fire last night because the game thought I took too long (from presses not registering). It annoyed me.

botticus

Mejilan said:
I had some difficulty when just trying to use my thumb, but didn't notice any issues with the stylus.

Mejilan

Now that I think about it, it also took multiple taps on the screen to fast-forward the combat sequences. It must be the touch screen failing. Shit. I'll stop de-railing now. Thanks!

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Now that I think about it, it also took multiple taps on the screen to fast-forward the combat sequences. It must be the touch screen failing. Shit. I'll stop de-railing now. Thanks!

Eeek. Hope you get that sorted out. Failing touch screen on DS = :(

Top Bottom