• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

duckroll

WreckTheLaw said:
Sadly, even knowing what it's based on starts the old noggin rolling in a certain direction. It isn't hard to make guesses.

There's a lot more going on than what you think though. :)

Foxix Von

vagabondarts said:
I suspected this strategy but like Mejilan, failed to implement it. This is extremely helpful!

edit: GeekyDad's ProTip= Success!

on another subject, my dialogue and music seem really tiny and the laser blast sounds seem like they are going to blow out my dsi speakers... is it like this with your copies also?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem :lol

WreckTheLaw said:
I'm fairly certain that it'll pay off later. The in between scenes with the observers seem to indicate that Yuri is being watched - maybe even that certain factors are being influenced and changed to test him. Maybe Kira is one of those things.
Don't tell me this will end up being another MGS2, I don't think I can take being trolled by a developer twice :lol
I have a feeling that Nia's observation about them not looking like brother and sister is important though, seeing as Yuri doesn't have the balls to cockblock Torplo and shack with Tatiana could incest with Yuki be afoot, which will be justified but still weird if they don't turn out to be related?!?

Thanks for the tip about Gen's power, might help me win the next battle
I won the first battle with 2 busted up ships and one good one because of the meteors, but then that huge ship came in and decimated me :lol I might have to grind and get another deflector if the Gen attack strat fails.

Foxix said:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem :lol
:lol me too!

hm... well as long as I know it's supposed to be that way I can live with it... but it seems a shame. The soundtrack is enjoyable.

I would think somewhere through all the hands the game must have passed through this would have been brought up?

Deeku

I should be doing hw said:
Found a game store in Melbourne that had this, I said "wtf" out loud and bought it immediately. Pretty awesome considering I pretty much never go to game stores any more.
What store? I might go out and check tomorrow. Want this so bad!

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Thanks for the tip about Gen's power, might help me win the next battle
I won the first battle with 2 busted up ships and one good one because of the meteors, but then that huge ship came in and decimated me :lol I might have to grind and get another deflector if the Gen attack strat fails.

FYI, you can retreat in between those fights to regen your ships. While cruising there's a button in the button right that lets you pause and change destination. I definitely advise doing that between those two fights.

commanderdeek said:
What store? I might go out and check tomorrow. Want this so bad!
Don't remember exactly, its was a fluke because I just saw it in passing walking with some mates. They don't play games much so they were like "Dude, really?" and all I could say was "You don't understand!" as I ran in to buy it.
Some dingy asian store in Footscray, couldn't say where exactly. I was fighting a hangover at the time and was mostly watching my feet. :lol Had lots of Japanese imported games in it and it was kind of like a shitty version of Dick Smith except with obscure games in it.
I bought the only copy that I could see in the store, they did have the JAP version though.

Deeku

Don't remember exactly, its was a fluke because I just saw it in passing walking with some mates. They don't play games much so they were like "Dude, really?" and all I could say was "You don't understand!" as I ran in to buy it.
Some dingy asian store in Footscray, couldn't say where exactly. I was fighting a hangover at the time and was mostly watching my feet. :lol Had lots of Japanese imported games in it and it was kind of like a shitty version of Dick Smith except with obscure games in it.
I bought the only copy that I could see in the store, they did have the JAP version though.
Damn I was hoping you'd say JB or something. Looks like I'll have to wait it out till Thursday.

Bah fucking mellee battles, Balik is a hardass. I'm no good at this, tried it like 10 times. Any tips? Can't help but feel the game is hustling me by letting me rape a squad of guys at the start and then quickly turning around and beating my ass down hard. I haven't even been close to beating him, its always around 300 or something for his score when I die. :lol
Edit:
Wtf, he can heal too

duckroll

Sounds like you need a better security chief and security officer. Pick NPCs with high combat stats for both slots, and look for special abilities which can be used in melee combat.

duckroll

I don't even have any :lol
Cool I'll look into that then.

Then that is the crux of your problem. Moving some personal to the security side when you expect to be attacking a base on foot, or boarding an enemy vessel, is essential. Without that extra stat boost, you're just a sitting duck with bare minimum combat ability.

Nimyh

Banned
So I started playing this yesterday, had a few battles. The space combat gets way better right?
And I have this issue with the sound too where the lasers and explosions are extremely loud compared to everything else, but meh I get used to it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I was lazy. To get security officers I'd have had to go all the way back through the asteroid field to a planet where I could switch my crew around.

I did that fight without any security officers on the second try. If you had somebody watching while you play write down the selection each of you make you'll get a better idea of what is the right choice for any given situation. If you make the right choice 3-4 times you win quite easily.

After the long grind to buy and outfit a battleship I was pretty happy to find myself with 20k a short time later in chapter 4 without doing any grinding. Then I went in and upgraded the modules/weapons on my battleship and two destroyers and was back to 2k. :) Even in Chapter 4, a battleship with two destroyers makes any random battle a piece of cake as long as your crew isn't fatigued. I expect I'll get raped the first time I run into a battle with fighters, though.

DaBargainHunta said:
I've been following this thread, but some quick questions for those of you who have it:

- How complex is it? Meaning...

* Is building/designing your ship relatively easy or a giant task?

* The OP mentions a "tactical" battle system that's "action-filled." What does this mean exactly? If someone can describe a typical battle, that would be great. For example, is the action real-time?

* Is there a lot in the way of stats/data/other minutiae?

- What is the gameplay like outside of battles and design? Can you walk around your ship in real time, talk to your crew, etc.? Just describe a typical session of the game, if you can.

- I read somewhere that the story is loosely based on
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
. For anyone familiar with the
book
, how accurate is that description?

I'm excited but cautious. I have a feeling this encompasses some genres I've never really dipped my toes into before.

Thanks.

Not sure if you've seen it, but many of these are touched on in the
original, un-official thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362602

I'm not far enough along to answer most of these well enough, things are just opening up for me

eznark

Banned
Giant Bomb has a quick look up, might help if you are on the fence. I just got blown up going back to dude's homeworld. Obviously this game requires you pay attention

Foxix Von

eznark said:
Giant Bomb has a quick look up, might help if you are on the fence. I just got blown up going back to dude's homeworld. Obviously this game requires you pay attention

"Where my zero-g dawgs at!?" :lol

Edit: OMG. Watching more of it and he's really horrible :lol Come one man watch you're fatigue levels, and make sure both cannons are within firing range D:

This game is absolutely amazing. I've already sunk like 18 hours into it. Some of the battles and scenarios really force you to think about your fleet composition and the choices you are forced to make can make you set the DS down for a bit just to mull it over.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Foxix said:
"Where my zero-g dawgs at!?" :lol

Edit: OMG. Watching more of it and he's really horrible :lol Come one man watch you're fatigue levels, and make sure both cannons are within firing range D:

I joined giantbomb just so I could post about most of the stuff he was doing wrong. It was like standing there waiting while somebody else two-finger types something.

eznark

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
I joined giantbomb just so I could post about most of the stuff he was doing wrong. It was like standing there waiting while somebody else two-finger types something.
Attempts 2 and 3 on the first "big" battle also failed. Maybe you could give me some tips as well? Did you grind a lot at the beginning?

Woo-Fu

Banned
eznark said:
Attempts 2 and 3 on the first "big" battle also failed. Maybe you could give me some tips as well? Did you grind a lot at the beginning?

Chapter 1 battle with the planetary dictator?

1. Upgrade weapons and modules to best you can afford. I didn't have to grind to do this.
2. Put Nia into the second command crew slot.
3. Make sure you target the enemy ship in the first row, firing only when all your weapons are in range---check the little weapon icons above the ship healthbars, those icons are blue when in range, red when out of range. When that ship is destroyed, switch targets to the next front row enemy ship, etc.
4. Pay attention to the enemy charge level. Most of the time when he is in red he will use barrage. To take advantage of this, pull out of range at first while charging to full, put on dodge, when charge meter close to full move forward, he'll usually barrage. After he fires, if all your weapons are in range do a normal attack---which will negate his own dodge if it is up, then fire a barrage. Pull back out of range to recharge, rinse and repeat.
5. Oh, and when you go to the battle in the first place, do so from 1 space away, don't do a multi-hop flight as it will just fatigue your crew before you get there.

WreckTheLaw

Mejilan said:
This game is SO fucking awesome.

Oh indeed. I'm itching to get some more play in. Someone just told me that in chapter 7 (mechanics spoiler)
you can trade your FAPs for Money! EEEEEE!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Amazon surprised the hell out of me by delivering my copy of Infinite Space today, four days before the "expected" arrival date! I've only put an hour in, but I really like it so far. Very cool vibe. The battles seem kinda simple, but I'm sure they'll get more complicated as I go along... right?

Bah I'm in Ch. 4 now and have to go back to the previous system because I didn't finish a sidequest from the last chapter and you can't be doing more than one :/
It's the one where there are apparently pirates inbetween the place whose name starts with N and the one that starts with O..Ostyra or something...fuck the names in this game are stupid.
I've been going back and forth between them for 20 minutes and nothing but regular pirates are showing up, wtf?
Somehow I'm still enjoying this game :lol

z.e.r.o

Neo Member
Thanks Woo-Fu, your pointers about the Chapter 1 battle made me enjoy the game :D

Saying that the manual is sparse in information is an understatement!

I am @6.5 hours in and still on Ch 2.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but now I am addicted. I honestly cannot stop playing it.

There are a few gripes I have....

Having to click on the chat options to continue chatting and getting info/story from them. Why do I have to click on "Talk to....." to keep the conversation going? Why can't they just keep the talking going? Twice now I've left the port, only to find I've had to go back and chat to person x to get more info and finally get a mission off him that allows me to progress the game :/

Another is the audio. The sound effects are really loud, yet the music and voice overs can barely be heard. I have to use headphones if I actually want to hear them.

And my biggest gripe is no quest log. Once you get given a mission, it's best done straight away whilst the destination is still fresh in your memory. As someone who suffers from severe sleep apnea, I have the memory of a goldfish and tend to forget things almost instantly....so picking up a quest that sends me to 3 different destinations is a pita when you forget where to go after the first destination.

Next time I get a quest like that, I'll have to write it down. Otherwise I'll forget and have to go to each place hoping it's the right place :lol

Aside from those, I think it's a great game.

duckroll

KTallguy said:
Any difference between this and the JP version, Duckroll? (Or anyone else who knows :))

The language I suppose? I don't really know what you mean... I don't have the English version either.

eznark

Banned
Finally clicked last night after 8 deaths to space tyrant. I wasn' moving in and out enough and I also didn't realize the blue/red lights were important!

Now I have a new hangup, the creepy story.

"You sure you two are related"...shiver.

KTallguy

Banned
Just like, additional content, new quests, whatever.
I'm looking for a new DS game and I want to play a Nudemaker game anyway.

The tutorial vids SEGA put out are pretty interesting!

duckroll

No, I'm pretty sure nothing has been added to any version, otherwise they would be talking about it. Since this is Sega, I think the real concern should be whether they took anything out without saying anything about it! :lol

cress2000

Samurai Penguin said:
As someone who suffers from severe sleep apnea, I have the memory of a goldfish and tend to forget things almost instantly...
We must be siblings. :lol I've been on treatment for the last 6 months and my memory and mental clarity have yet to improve.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
No, I'm pretty sure nothing has been added to any version, otherwise they would be talking about it. Since this is Sega, I think the real concern should be whether they took anything out without saying anything about it! :lol

Good point :lol

I may grab the JP version soon then. This and Peace Walker (hype!) will make my long weekend commutes bearable :) I'm still picking away at Shiren PSP though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ordered, bought, whatever.

I am not in a big gaming mood lately but I've been waiting for this one since it was originally announced. I hope it boosts me up a little.

syllogism

eznark said:
Finally clicked last night after 8 deaths to space tyrant. I wasn' moving in and out enough and I also didn't realize the blue/red lights were important!

Now I have a new hangup, the creepy story.

"You sure you two are related"...shiver.
it will be explained

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game is so fucking amazing!
Right at the end of Chapter 3. I've already demolished the pirate brothers' fleets and am now raiding the pirate base. There's a pretty big decision far up into the pirate base, and I tried the one that I thought would be for the best, but it wound up in Yuri getting blasted by a bomb, the girl I'm supposed to be rescuing getting murdered, and Kira killing one of the pirate brothers. Instead of saving, I decided to reboot and try the other option. Smart choice? Or bad choice?

Edit - Gamefaqs to the rescue. The merciless path is actually the right one to take. Mercy in this situation only brings about bad (through surprisingly fucking cool) results. Amazing game.

Bah I'm in Ch. 4 now and have to go back to the previous system because I didn't finish a sidequest from the last chapter and you can't be doing more than one :/
It's the one where there are apparently pirates inbetween the place whose name starts with N and the one that starts with O..Ostyra or something...fuck the names in this game are stupid.
I've been going back and forth between them for 20 minutes and nothing but regular pirates are showing up, wtf?
Somehow I'm still enjoying this game :lol

There's a ??? location exactly between the N place and the O place. That's where I found 'em. It'll be a scripted battle, not the random ones you've been fighting. Don't travel directly from N to O. Travel from N (or O) to the ??? location in between N and O.

WreckTheLaw

Mejilan said:
Game is so fucking amazing!
Right at the end of Chapter 3. I've already demolished the pirate brothers' fleets and am now raiding the pirate base. There's a pretty big decision far up into the pirate base, and I tried the one that I thought would be for the best, but it wound up in Yuri getting blasted by a bomb, the girl I'm supposed to be rescuing getting murdered, and Kira killing one of the pirate brothers. Instead of saving, I decided to reboot and try the other option. Smart choice? Or bad choice?

Edit - Gamefaqs to the rescue. The merciless path is actually the right one to take. Mercy in this situation only brings about bad (through surprisingly fucking cool) results. Amazing game.

There's a ??? location exactly between the N place and the O place. That's where I found 'em. It'll be a scripted battle, not the random ones you've been fighting. Don't travel directly from N to O. Travel from N (or O) to the ??? location in between N and O.

I remain too much of a critic to entirely ignore the faults with IS. But. I still love it. Your example of no-mercy-as-the-right-thing to do helps to define the work's tone as something separate from others in the genre. Even with only one "right" decision per branch (so far, through chapter 4), the fact that canon Yuri is neither Paragon nor Renegade but somewhere in between really mimics the space swashbucklers that this draws on. It's awesome.

Related: The end of chapter four is, and I do not use this word often or lightly, but pretty epic. It made me realize that even though it's just Rock Paper Scissors combat, adding the melee battles prevents the game's ground segments from being 15 minute long cutscenes (a la the spaceship battles of many Sci-Fi RPGs.) Plus, now I have enough G to buy whatever I want. Does anyone know when I unlock a fourth slot (also, carriers? My fighter spec'ed cruiser isn't all I want it to be.)

Also, it's very clear devs have H-game pedigree. (And I don't just mean the incestuous themes.) What's odd is that I'm happy that they're bringing that knowledge into the development of an RPG. The character relationships are fairly interconnected, and the potential
love triangle forming between Yuri, Nia, and Kira
is interesting and well done.

The game is episodic in both play and narrative - it's just that the episodes are three to five hours long. I can't help but play in chunks like this, one chapter at a time. And it makes me happy to know that I must have another ten (or more) of these play sessions left.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So quite a bit of story details in this thread, should probably check out until I get up to some substantial parts. I got destroyed by the first "boss" fight though :lol Nice little learning curve.

Mejilan said:
Thank you sir, I've just been travelling from N to O.

Just wanted to thank GAF for this thread.

This game was NOT on my radar, but like many threads I read, I gave in and purchased.

But for once, GAFs hyperbole finally rang true for me regarding a game; I can't put this thing down and it's giving me so many things I've been missing for so long. There may be some minor flaws here or there, but I easily brush those aside in order to get another dose of awesome.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Getting boned by a boss in Chapter 7. His barrage kills a 1st row battleship in 1 shot if not dodged, his normal with a crit takes off 75-80% hp. Oh, and even with my carrier in the 3rd row if he gets a barrage through it dies in 1 hit.

I hit him with 3 final roars using just the extra long range builtin beam weapons on two Pallas-class Battleships and kept 24 strikers on him at all times possible, still no good.

I wish I could see his damage so I'd know if I was getting even close to winning.

eznark

Banned
WreckTheLaw said:
I remain too much of a critic to entirely ignore the faults with IS. But. I still love it. Your example of no-mercy-as-the-right-thing to do helps to define the work's tone as something separate from others in the genre. Even with only one "right" decision per branch (so far, through chapter 4), the fact that canon Yuri is neither Paragon nor Renegade but somewhere in between really mimics the space swashbucklers that this draws on. It's awesome.
Are you telling me there are real zero G dawgs rollin' dirty through the galaxy?

Woo-Fu

Banned
eznark said:
Are you telling me there are real zero G dawgs rollin' dirty through the galaxy?
No, he is telling you that space opera is a popular sub-genre of science fiction, and that this game is a similar experience in a different medium. :)

Top Bottom