• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks. Worst case scenario, I've got a backup DSi that I barely use anyway. But my beloved flash cart doesn't work with it, I'm not keen on the idea of starting to carrying around a dozen or so retail carts with me again, and I vastly prefer my DSL over the DSi. (Nor do I want to switch to a different manufacturer's flash cart.) We'll see...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mejilan said:
Now that I think about it, it also took multiple taps on the screen to fast-forward the combat sequences. It must be the touch screen failing. Shit. I'll stop de-railing now. Thanks!

Left shoulder fast forwards conversation and travel, you might try it for combat too.

Mejilan

Ah yes, I recall reading that earlier. Thanks for reminding me.
Of course, if the touch screen is failing, that fast forward button won't really help.
Touch screen's required, after all.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What good grinding runs are people finding?

In Elgava Central, the
Merehkta-Alotyr-Deviagorsk
run is pretty good. Mostly 2 frigates, 1 destroyer, or 2 frigates. Now and then you'll get two destroyers and a cruiser, which is nice money. NOTE: You can't flee from the 2 destroyer/1 cruiser battle.

Wizpig

I want to play this, but Sega is so smart they are going to release this the SAME day of Pokémon Heart Gold; not to mention I'm playing other RPGs.

This is probably why this thread is not very long, too.

So what I'm going to ask is how long is the main quest and, well, if there are random encounters.
And also if you guys playing it are also playing other games with it or if it's impossible to do so.

Mejilan

I think duckroll finished the game with about 47 hours on the clock.
Once things open up, you can travel to any of hundreds of star systems in a somewhat open-ended fashion, and yes, there are random encounters with fleets of enemy ships. Many of those fights are optional though, and random encounters are generally over (for good or for ill) in about 30 seconds.
It's probably not recommended to play this alongside another game, because there is no quest log that keeps track of the main quest / side quest missions or progress, so putting the game down for an extended period of time will likely cause you to forget what you were doing and leave you randomly trolling locations for the next story / quest trigger.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I had a chance to finally play a bit of the game last night. Even though I'm still very early I'm digging it, takes me back to playing Starflight for the C64. I'm looking forward to getting more blueprints and crew. I wish Sega took more time with the manual.

Foxix Von

SCHUEY F1 said:
I had a chance to finally play a bit of the game last night. Even though I'm still very early I'm digging it, takes me back to playing Starflight for the C64. I'm looking forward to getting more blueprints and crew. I wish Sega took more time with the manual.

Well there's a better manual in the OP but my computer doesn't seem to like my printer. The manual with the game is pretty garbage though. I browsed through it for a little bit and got confused when it said to look for different colored gauges in a black and white manual. Kind of just tucked it back in and hoped to god there was a tuturial :lol

Luckily there was.

duckroll

Foxix said:
Well there's a better manual in the OP but my computer doesn't seem to like my printer. The manual with the game is pretty garbage though. I browsed through it for a little bit and got confused when it said to look for different colored gauges in a black and white manual. Kind of just tucked it back in and hoped to god there was a tuturial :lol

Luckily there was.

The pdf manual in the OP is an English version of the Japanese manual I have. It really sucks that western games seem to have shit production values for the packaging, because my version came with that full color manual in the box!

Foxix Von

duckroll said:
The pdf manual in the OP is an English version of the Japanese manual I have. It really sucks that western games seem to have shit production values for the packaging, because my version came with that full color manual in the box!

I guess I'm just thankful they haven't started cutting holes into my DS cases.
Yet... =/

Anyway I did get to spend more time with this last night. Which is hard since I'm still playing FFXIII and Soul Silver. Just got past the first boss who completely whipped my ass OVER AND OVER again because it didn't occur to me to look at the fleet formation :lol. Amazing how quickly it was over once it dawned on me.

I can't say it's the greatest game ever but it REALLY scratches a ton of itches thought to be buried way, way under the skin. Really great so far though.

Wizpig

Thanks for the replies, I hoped until the end the game wouldn't have random battles though :'(

And 47+ hours are really a lot... maybe as a "summer" game?
I hate Sega US/EUR manuals.
God, black & white in 2010... you should see Yakuza 2 EUR packaging and "manual".
Not to mention Ubisoft.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Woo-Fu said:
I think I'm spending more money outfitting a battleship than I did buying it in the first place. ouch.

Yeah. Those things are incredibly expensive to fit. Which is appropriate, I guess. Once I replaced Daisy with one I started one-shotting everything in the first three areas. So far nothing in chapter four has hit me too hard either. What class of ship is everyone using for their flagship? My battleship is currently my main, but I could see the point in using destroyer, sliding it way in the back, and letting your bigger ships tank for you.

duckroll

Woo-Fu said:
I think I'm spending more money outfitting a battleship than I did buying it in the first place. ouch.

That is not unusual, and it is also somewhat realistic. If you think about it, what makes up any sort of vehicle is not just the design and shell but the sum of the parts. The best warships and even civilian cruise ships, are the ones which are packed with great components and special state of the art modifications. :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So what is the consensus so far on this game? I hate being the one to ask like that w/o reading through the whole thread, but i don't have much time :)

GeekyDad

commish said:
So what is the consensus so far on this game?

Have we reached one?

If you skip a page back, you can read my impressions of it after about six hours play. I think it's an excellent game, but it's kind of old-school in its presentation. Everything the player needs is there, but they leave it up to you to unearth it. If you enjoy minutiae wrapped in a Trek-like experience, you'll likely love this game. If you're after a more straightforward RPG, this game might end up frustrating you. No one element of the game is overly complicated thus far, but there are so many little details that make it a pretty complex experience. Were I reviewing it, so far I'd give it high marks. But I wouldn't recommend anyone run out and buy it. Like Demon's Souls (not because of the level of difficulty, either), I say rent it first to see if you like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The lack of a quest log is insane. I would say it's an homage to Star Control 2, but I have to imagine that no one in Japan actually knows SC2 exists. :lol

rdaneel72

duckroll said:
Man, there are way more people here playing this game in English than I ever expected... :eek:

Glad I made this thread!

Can't link...

But this is good news...

Amazon - top 5 software sales worldwide, per platform

North America:
1. Pokemon SoulSilver Version (Nintendo)
2. Pokemon HeartGold Version (Nintendo)
3. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
4. Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
5. Infinite Space (Sega)

botticus

Spoiler-tag if necessary, but where am I supposed to go in Chapter 2?
I was told to go talk to the captain at the Lutsk Base, but he hasn't been there even after I encountered the pirate who stole my epitaph. Doesn't seem to be anywhere I haven't been, and I think I've revisited most of the taverns.

duckroll

botticus said:
Spoiler-tag if necessary, but where am I supposed to go in Chapter 2?
I was told to go talk to the captain at the Lutsk Base, but he hasn't been there even after I encountered the pirate who stole my epitaph. Doesn't seem to be anywhere I haven't been, and I think I've revisited most of the taverns.

Try talking to everyone in the base multiple times.

eznark

Banned
I went to KMart to try and use those coupons from last night, no go. I did however wander to the ds area and lo and behold the game was in stock. I was floored. First game I have ever bought from a damn KMart, but I drove well out of my way to try and use those coupons so I figured I shouldn't waste the trip. Promptly forgot to take it out of my truck before lending the truck to my brother in law.

Foxix Von

This game keeps kicking my ass :lol I'm so bad it's not even funny. But the more I'm playing this the more it's sinking it's claws in. I actually like the lack of a quest log :D it sort of reminds me of sitting down and playing Phantasy Star and just having to figure it out as you go along. Kind of adds an odd sense of discovery that I don't really feel in games anymore.

It was just really daunting at the start, especially once you unlock that damnable robot help screen and have a small novel's worth of help text to sift through. I hate to use this as a comparison but I can't help but remember God Hand while playing this. The reason being that at first they both seem to have odd design decisions be it with GH's clunky camera and some awkward menu design in IS, I was sort of taken aback at first. However the more I dig into it the more I see that what I thought was clunky is actually rather well thought out and very functional especially considering just how many options there are.

WillyFive

commish said:
So what is the consensus so far on this game? I hate being the one to ask like that w/o reading through the whole thread, but i don't have much time :)

So far...that it's so deep we don't even know if it's good o bad yet.

Huh, turns out my problem was a glitch. I talked to Tatiana and got her as a temp member, then put her in her rightful place on the ship (the kitchen) and went to the base and nothing happened. After an hour of going back and forth between every place in the system I finally thought, fuck it I'll go back to that bar. Sure enough she was still there and when I talked to her it was like I never had the conversation before, she 'rejoined' and I went back to the base and it worked.
Fucking glitches but goddamn if this game isn't addictive.

Light spoiler:
Is there any difference taking the direct or indirect assualt on the pirate base? I went indirect.

Foxix Von

Willy105 said:

This is actually really accurate :lol but if it means anything generally it seems as though everyone is enjoying it.

WreckTheLaw

I should be doing hw said:
Huh, turns out my problem was a glitch. I talked to Tatiana and got her as a temp member, then put her in her rightful place on the ship (the kitchen) and went to the base and nothing happened. After an hour of going back and forth between every place in the system I finally thought, fuck it I'll go back to that bar. Sure enough she was still there and when I talked to her it was like I never had the conversation before, she 'rejoined' and I went back to the base and it worked.
Fucking glitches but goddamn if this game isn't addictive.

Light spoiler:
Is there any difference taking the direct or indirect assualt on the pirate base? I went indirect.

If I remember right, Tatiana is actually better to put in Ops or something, I don't have the game on hand, but doesn't she have a high leadership or control or something?

Re: spoiler,
if you decode the transmission you get (by just moving around enough, I think), then go the direct route Tatiana's mind-controlled brother doesn't die. I suspect I can recruit him once I finish a sidequest to get him some curative meds.

GeekyDad

Willy105 said:

:lol

Yeah, something like that.

Nah, actually, I'm really loving it. Somehow I've managed to plug in over eight hours with the game, and I just got it. I spent just the first two or three hours trying to wrap my head around the combat, but once I did, it was fairly easy. I'm doing a bit of star hopping now, which is somewhat tedious. The story, though, is surprisingly engaging. It's not merely a series of random branches, and considering they're using nothing but a single still image for each character, the game manages to spin one hell of a good yarn. The combat isn't changing up much yet, and the customization really seems to be at the heart of the game. So far, it's really addictive.

My premature verdict: it's a very slow burn.

justchris

I was really looking forward to this game when it was first announced, but in all the confusion going on at work lately, I forgot when it was coming out. Ordered it on Amazon last night, and really looking forward to it.

Edit: Holy crap, just realized how repetitive that is. I need more sleep.

Played a few hours. Love it.

A couple questions:

1) Is there any reason to pick one ship over another as flagship?

2) Is the flagship whatever ship you label as '1' on the fleet formation chart?

duckroll

Count Dookkake said:
Played a few hours. Love it.

A couple questions:

1) Is there any reason to pick one ship over another as flagship?

2) Is the flagship whatever ship you label as '1' on the fleet formation chart?

Yes. If you flagship dies, the game is over. Later on when you have a larger fleet, it makes sense for your flagship to be the one most likely to survive the longest and the last to be attacked. You can be gung ho and put your flagship as the head of the fleet with tons of HP and the most attack power, but it doesn't really give you any gameplay advantage other than manly bragging rights.

duckroll said:
Yes. If you flagship dies, the game is over. Later on when you have a larger fleet, it makes sense for your flagship to be the one most likely to survive the longest and the last to be attacked. You can be gung ho and put your flagship as the head of the fleet with tons of HP and the most attack power, but it doesn't really give you any gameplay advantage other than manly bragging rights.

Thanks.

Looks like the captain will be moving from the DIGGSTOWN to the DROIDEKA, at least until I can trick out the VERHOEVEN.

Just picked this up this afternoon after work... So far I am loving it but being careful about getting too far in because I'm also playing Pokemon HG...

I can see myself sinking many hours into this game...
although I don't see myself playing this in line at the post office for a quick 5 minute play session. It takes me in totally.

I'll add more thoughts once I've put more time in.

Mejilan

Wow, I just totally got fucking wrecked by what I guess is the first boss.
I needed to purchase my first Destroyer in order to take the dude out, but the new ship seems substantially weaker than the Daisy, and I'm not exactly sure why I can't have both the new Destroyer and the Daisy in my formation. It seems to be either one or the other. Not enough crew members? *shrugs*

Can't help but feel that I must be missing something.

WreckTheLaw

Mejilan said:
I needed to purchase my first Destroyer in order to take the dude out, but the new ship seems substantially weaker than the Daisy, and I'm not exactly sure why I can't have both the new Destroyer and the Daisy in my formation. It seems to be either one or the other. Not enough crew members? *shrugs*

You'll unlock a second ship spot if you explore around in chapter two, and again in the third chapter. More Help files also unlock in each chapter - so yeah, you probably ARE missing some stuff. It doles out the info in a really bizarre way... but I think that in another ten hours (I'm twelve in now), all of it will be on the table.

duckroll

Mejilan said:

It's very simple. Yuri has a command level which determines how many ships he can command in his fleet. It starts off as 1. You can't have 2 ships in your fleet until that goes up later. Think of it as gaining party member slots in a RPG.

GeekyDad

Mejilan said:

Well, yeah, you're going to want more than Nia's ship to take on the first boss. That being said, you will also have to wrap your head around the strategy being demanded by the encounter. As a matter of fact, that first boss pretty much readies you for most encounters afterward.

My strategy: hit "Dodge" as soon as I enter battle, reverse, let my command meter build back up, engage forward, let the enemy attack first once in range, so that if he also has dodge engaged, my barrage won't miss. Once he's attacked, I let a barrage loose.

One thing is key in all battles: be sure to select the ship out front of the formation each and every time you enter battle. By default, the game seems to select the outer-most ship. Also, if you select Kira as your first officer, you'll be able to repair your hull (heal) during battles. IGN was wrong about that in their review.

GeekyDad said:
...As a matter of fact, that first boss pretty much readies you for most encounters afterward.

My strategy: hit "Dodge" as soon as I enter battle, reverse, let my command meter build back up, engage forward, let the enemy attack first once in range, so that if he also has dodge engaged, my barrage won't miss. Once he's attacked, I let a barrage loose.

One thing is key in all battles: be sure to select the ship out front of the formation each and every time you enter battle. By default, the game seems to select the outer-most ship.
Also, if you select Kira as your first officer, you'll be able to repair your hull (heal) during battles. IGN was wrong about that in their review.
I suspected this strategy but like Mejilan, failed to implement it. This is extremely helpful!

edit: GeekyDad's ProTip= Success!

on another subject, my dialogue and music seem really tiny and the laser blast sounds seem like they are going to blow out my dsi speakers... is it like this with your copies also?

hank_tree

I was hoping this would arrive today so I could play it over the weekend as I have a lot of travelling to do. I can't wait to sink some time into this next week.

I've been following this thread, but some quick questions for those of you who have it:

- How complex is it? Meaning...

* Is building/designing your ship relatively easy or a giant task?

* The OP mentions a "tactical" battle system that's "action-filled." What does this mean exactly? If someone can describe a typical battle, that would be great. For example, is the action real-time?

* Is there a lot in the way of stats/data/other minutiae?

- What is the gameplay like outside of battles and design? Can you walk around your ship in real time, talk to your crew, etc.? Just describe a typical session of the game, if you can.

- I read somewhere that the story is loosely based on
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
. For anyone familiar with the
book
, how accurate is that description?

I'm excited but cautious. I have a feeling this encompasses some genres I've never really dipped my toes into before.

Thanks.

WreckTheLaw said:
If I remember right, Tatiana is actually better to put in Ops or something, I don't have the game on hand, but doesn't she have a high leadership or control or something?

Re: spoiler,
if you decode the transmission you get (by just moving around enough, I think), then go the direct route Tatiana's mind-controlled brother doesn't die. I suspect I can recruit him once I finish a sidequest to get him some curative meds.
I might look into that, I generally have put everyone in the slot where their stat is the highest.
Re:re:
Yeah I did that. So if I went the other way he would have died? That's pretty cool
Couple of questions:
- Can I keep Gen? The game made it seem like he was a temp but he's sticking around, he has a ridiculously high Leader score
- What does his Special Attack 2 actually do? Doesn't really have an effect that I can see on enemies, unlike SA 1 which rapes
- Are deflectors useless after the mission in Ch.3? I don't want to have to buy 2 more because the meteors fucked up the rest of my fleet. Almost won the boss battle though, had it down to the last ship. I just don't want to buy more deflectors if they are useless afterwards, they are expensive.

Katbot

Digging this game's space opera attitude. Looking forward to finally capturing Parish and going in-depth on this in next week's ATB. I've waited a long time :p

WreckTheLaw

I should be doing hw said:
I might look into that, I generally have put everyone in the slot where their stat is the highest.
Re:re:
Yeah I did that. So if I went the other way he would have died? That's pretty cool
Couple of questions:
- Can I keep Gen? The game made it seem like he was a temp but he's sticking around, he has a ridiculously high Leader score
- What does his Special Attack 2 actually do? Doesn't really have an effect that I can see on enemies, unlike SA 1 which rapes
- Are deflectors useless after the mission in Ch.3? I don't want to have to buy 2 more because the meteors fucked up the rest of my fleet. Almost won the boss battle though, had it down to the last ship. I just don't want to buy more deflectors if they are useless afterwards, they are expensive.

Yup, he would've died from what I read around the way. But then you can recruit the special agent dude who you talk to occasionally. I assume we'll both still unlock him too, just at a later point.

I removed my deflectors. Not really sure on this though.

Gen's "Formation Foe" (his special 2) allows you to ignore the defense bonus that a ship gets from being in the back or mid rows.
I used it to the best effect by ripping through all of the flagships in the three "big" battles towards the end of act three instead of having to take out all four of their defense ships.

As for whether he stays or not,
he bounces just before the end of chapter 3, but I bet he'll rejoin later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regarding the first hour of the game...
Why does Yuri say he has no family left and then turn around and suddenly remembers he has a sister? That's not just shitty anime contrivance and is actually explained down the line, right?

WreckTheLaw

firehawk12 said:
Regarding the first hour of the game...
Why does Yuri say he has no family left and then turn around and suddenly remembers he has a sister? That's not just shitty anime contrivance and is actually explained down the line, right?

I'm fairly certain that it'll pay off later. The in between scenes with the observers seem to indicate that Yuri is being watched - maybe even that certain factors are being influenced and changed to test him. Maybe Kira is one of those things.

WreckTheLaw

duckroll said:
I'm not going to answer any of your story questions! :)

Sadly, even knowing what it's based on starts the old noggin rolling in a certain direction. It isn't hard to make guesses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hopefully it pays off, because that really bugged me when I was going through the intro for some reason. The game itself is still great though, for the moment.

Top Bottom