• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

Woo-Fu

Banned
I figured out that chapter 7 boss I was having problems with.

his attacks are very strong and very long range. Get in as close as possible and he doesn't have anything he can hit you with.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WreckTheLaw said:
I remain too much of a critic to entirely ignore the faults with IS. But. I still love it. Your example of no-mercy-as-the-right-thing to do helps to define the work's tone as something separate from others in the genre. Even with only one "right" decision per branch (so far, through chapter 4), the fact that canon Yuri is neither Paragon nor Renegade but somewhere in between really mimics the space swashbucklers that this draws on. It's awesome.

Related: The end of chapter four is, and I do not use this word often or lightly, but pretty epic. It made me realize that even though it's just Rock Paper Scissors combat, adding the melee battles prevents the game's ground segments from being 15 minute long cutscenes (a la the spaceship battles of many Sci-Fi RPGs.) Plus, now I have enough G to buy whatever I want. Does anyone know when I unlock a fourth slot (also, carriers? My fighter spec'ed cruiser isn't all I want it to be.)

Also, it's very clear devs have H-game pedigree. (And I don't just mean the incestuous themes.) What's odd is that I'm happy that they're bringing that knowledge into the development of an RPG. The character relationships are fairly interconnected, and the potential
love triangle forming between Yuri, Nia, and Kira
is interesting and well done.

Yep, I've actually been taken at times regarding some of the game's themes. I'm curious if Sega toned it down at all and/or censored it for ratings purposes. Because if so, the original must be REALLY fucked up. The one we got features some interesting details, such as:
Mega-violence (Kira literally blows the head off a pirate from point blank range, and NPCs later comment on the nausea that the clean up crew faced).
Near-rape encounters.
Pretty naughty language, both implied and expressed (surprised to find an NPC saying the word 'ass' on occasion).
"Whining and wenching" scenarios and mentions.
Apparent under-age drinking/partying.

And I'm only in Chapter 3! (Or maybe it's 4, by now...)

duckroll

Doesn't sound like Sega toned it down at all. The game gets away with A LOT simply by being a really ghetto visual adventure style narrative. When everything is mostly described in text, with some stills to go along with certain scenes, you can get away with a ton and still get a lower rating.

Mejilan

Well, I'm quite happy that we seem to have gotten an uncompromised version, in that case.
I chuckled when that NPC mentioned that one of the clean crew members became a vegan after seeing what Kira left of that pirate boss. :lol

I'm about the same place as you Mejilan and I mimic the story sentiments. I love it!

When you mentioned rape, I was reminded of
when Ian gets taken away from the bar by pirates and there's a little scene when they realize he isn't a girl, and one pirate says, "even better!" or something to that effect.
:lol

Mejilan

Ok, come on folks. I'm bored to tears here at work and can't play the game.
I was hoping for a constant stream of awesome impressions and anecdotes to keep me occupied.

This game's way too awesome for the thread to have expired already!

I just picked it up, can't wait to dig in. The guy at Gamestop even thanked me for supporting it. Probably won't be able to get into it until tomorrow night though :(

Mejilan said:
Ok, come on folks. I'm bored to tears here at work and can't play the game.
I was hoping for a constant stream of awesome impressions and anecdotes to keep me occupied.

This game's way too awesome for the thread to have expired already!
What Ch are you on? I'm on 4 I think now, the prison warden wants to do Nia and that other chick. I thought that was funny, hope he tries something so he'll get his ass handed to him. :lol

botticus

Made it to Chapter 3 earlier today and got myself some new ships - and of course I was impatient and sold my last destroyer to finance a new one just before I was given the ability to have three ships in my fleet. Gonna take me forever to save up for the battleship.

Mejilan

I should be doing hw said:
What Ch are you on? I'm on 4 I think now, the prison warden wants to do Nia and that other chick. I thought that was funny, hope he tries something so he'll get his ass handed to him. :lol

I just killed the two pirate bosses in Chapter 3. I'm not sure if I've officially switched to Chapter 4 just yet, but if not, I'm probably VERY close. I'm fielding this and Lunar 2 at the same time, and they're both competing for the same handheld gaming hours. Now that my IS curiosity is satisfied, I think I'll focus on finishing Lunar 2 before delving any deeper. But I'm pretty conflicted about it, so I may just keep flip-flopping.

Mejilan

As much as I love Star Fox, it didn't contain threats of male on male rape, so Infinite Space wins by default.

Gattsu25

Banned
duckroll said:
Since there were several requests of what I thought about the game, I'll just repost my import impressions from the old thread here:
While I was playing the game
Stuff I posted recently in response to questions
Hope that helps clear up stuff for people wondering about what the game is like.
I think I'll try and buy this game soon.

Sounds like a good time waster for when I'm traveling

wsippel

Banned
Mejilan said:
Yep, I've actually been taken at times regarding some of the game's themes. I'm curious if Sega toned it down at all and/or censored it for ratings purposes. Because if so, the original must be REALLY fucked up. The one we got features some interesting details, such as:
Mega-violence (Kira literally blows the head off a pirate from point blank range, and NPCs later comment on the nausea that the clean up crew faced).
Near-rape encounters.
Pretty naughty language, both implied and expressed (surprised to find an NPC saying the word 'ass' on occasion).
"Whining and wenching" scenarios and mentions.
Apparent under-age drinking/partying.

And I'm only in Chapter 3! (Or maybe it's 4, by now...)
And you haven't even seen all that much so far. The game really is quite brutal and more than a little perverted at times. And I love it. There are a lot of issues, but I'm 35 hours in, and the story is so great and epic (better than anything I've ever seen in an RPG I'd say) - it might not be an awesome game, but it really is an awesome experience overall. The game also has one of the biggest WTF moments, or should I say a series of consecutive WTF moments, I've ever witnessed. I won't even spoiler tag the scene I'm talking about - everyone will immediately notice what I'm talking about when they see it I believe, and I don't want anyone to accidentally highlight the spoiler.

EDIT: Also, Universe in Despair is an excellent track, and used to great effect in the game. As much as I like that the game is on the DS, it's really too bad that the soundtrack, and especially this track, is held back by the DS's terrible sound capabilities. I can live without texture filtering or the completely arbitrary polygon limit, but I want CD quality soundtracks for fucks sake! If only Platinum had asked Shin'en to handle the compression and encoding...

wsippel

Banned
vagabondarts said:
this game... this game is refreshing... almost done with chapter 2.

This is like a sleeper game or something
I sure hope not. This game is way too great to be a sleeper. But I'm afraid you're right...

JayDubya

Banned
Mejilan said:
As much as I love Star Fox, it didn't contain threats of male on male rape, so Infinite Space wins by default.

I'm also left wondering how the nigh plotless Star Fox games constitute space opera.

Totakeke

Foxix said:
God, time vanishes with this game.... I just lost 2 and a half hours without even noticing :lol

No kidding, I'm consumed by this game. Although the combat is kinda underdeveloped and there's a lot of stats that are hidden from you making module and crew decisions kinda arbitrary, the game's pacing is just so good. Plus there's a lot of player decisions that actually change quite a number of things, I already can't wait to replay this game.

Foxix said:
I'm seven hours in and I just NOW realized I could rotate the camera with the d-pad in a fight

I'm more than 30 hours in and feeling that I'm near the end and I don't even know that.

Totakeke

Ending stuffs, no story spoilers but still some comments.

Wow, the ending section of this game, or the last hour towards the end, is really unfortunate. They could've made a whole new act based on the relevations towards the end alone but instead threw everything together as quickly as possible with all the gradual build up from the previous 30+ hours being basically thrown away. I don't think it was a problem of them not knowing how to continue on the story either as they did a good job earlier and putting quite a bit of foreshadowing throughout, it might be a budgeting/time issue and that really sucks.

There's also something wrong when the climatic battle music with vocals (ds audio quality/compression ouch) is used for a mid-boss rather than any of the final bosses. But I guess it makes sense in a way for the music to be used for that battle, just that they really skimped on the presentation of the final bosses in comparison. I also think they had a very good idea for the ending by using the effect of having the whole thing in darkness then the light would reveal the beauty of the planet in its full glory, but then the presentation doesn't match the intended effect. Kinda sad really ;/.

Also it might be just me missing the story events, but it seems like there's a lot of loose threads that are never resolved going into the ending. But aside from the ending and easily broken combat torwards the end, the game is awesome.

Edit: They tried to use "Grus" replacing "Hell" throughout the game, but at one point one character basically yelled out "Damn you all to hell!". It was appropriate... but still kinda funny to see them basically just giving up on that. :lol Also, I can't believe that they actually have the main character saying he would relish on seeing someone die up close. ;p

Working on a Mission guide for this game since I just started and there's no log (seriously, whose idea was that). Probably go the word document route, unless someone has a great idea for a spreadsheet. Seeing as how I just started, do you think it would be easy to divide the missions into sections like "first part of the galaxy" or "chapter 1 available missions"?

Mejilan

Is one really necessary?
I'm only in Chapter 4, admittedly, but all of the quests have been pretty straightforward, easy, and short so far.

At the very least, you'll probably want to organize them in chronological order and break them out by chapter, perhaps according to earliest availability.

Totakeke

PhoenixSFT said:
Working on a Mission guide for this game since I just started and there's no log (seriously, whose idea was that). Probably go the word document route, unless someone has a great idea for a spreadsheet. Seeing as how I just started, do you think it would be easy to divide the missions into sections like "first part of the galaxy" or "chapter 1 available missions"?

There's actually one out there that was translated from Japanese. Don't have the link right now though. But you don't really need it except for maybe one or two points later in the game where sometimes it get kinda obscure as to what you're supposed to do.

GeekyDad

Mejilan said:

Not sure that constitutes "win" for me personally, but it was definitely unexpected. Even Chinatown Wars wasn't that risque. I do certainly appreciate the themes and situations this game touches on, though, even if they're countered by typical Japanese quirkiness. Sometimes those elements seem at odds with one another, in spite of my love for both types of approaches.

I must say, though, as much as I loved the combat in the beginning of the game, it's grown a bit stale. I haven't really experienced much variety in that respect, and without an objective log, it's hard to keep the story as cohesive as I would have liked. Still enjoying the game, and its depth is really astounding in many ways. I just wish they added a bit more spice in the actual gameplay department.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well I'm in Chapter 2 and I love this game, even if the battles are pretty unforgiving. Especially the boss at the end of Chapter 1 -- it took me three tries to beat him, but after that fight I felt like I had a much better grip on space combat in this game.

I love taking on random side missions while I'm doing a main quest mission and getting them both finished at the same time — or not, it's up to me. So great. Fitting rooms in my ships is pretty cool, too.

I read earlier in this thread that there are on-foot battles when boarding ships and whatnot, which sounds great. I kinda wondered why I needed a security chief and whatnot...

I do wish it was easier to get money, though. I feel very poor right now :lol Another annoyance is not being able to skip through text quickly. Sometimes I have to talk to people multiple times to get everything out of them but when they've run out of things to say and start repeating themselves, it sucks having to just mash the touch screen for 60 seconds while it scrolls text. Blegh.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Danthrax said:
I do wish it was easier to get money, though. I feel very poor right now :lol Another annoyance is not being able to skip through text quickly. Sometimes I have to talk to people multiple times to get everything out of them but when they've run out of things to say and start repeating themselves, it sucks having to just mash the touch screen for 60 seconds while it scrolls text. Blegh.

Money will start to come easier around chapter 4. Just push on through for now. And fyi: shoulder buttons quick-scrolls text.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
WreckTheLaw said:
Money will start to come easier around chapter 4. Just push on through for now. And fyi: shoulder buttons quick-scrolls text.

That would be a very helpful tip — thank you — but my launch DS's shoulder buttons stopped working years ago, unfortunately.

Well, to clarify, the L button kinda works every once in a while if you press it hard, and at a certain angle, and the moon is in the correct phase. The R button is completely inoperable, though.

Mejilan

L and R can be used to fast forward or downright skip almost anything.
It'll fast-scroll text, speed up space travel, cancel out of cutscenes AND battle animations.
Seriously, battles can go from 1 minutes to 10 seconds with a few timely shoulder button presses.

Regarding your shoulder buttons, have you tried taking a solid amount of compressed air to them? If you clear out dust/lint from the between the shoulder buttons and the casing, you might regain functionality. Worked for my L button when it stopped responding a month or two ago.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mejilan said:
L and R can be used to fast forward or downright skip almost anything.
It'll fast-scroll text, speed up space travel, cancel out of cutscenes AND battle animations.
Seriously, battles can go from 1 minutes to 10 seconds with a few timely shoulder button presses.

Regarding your shoulder buttons, have you tried taking a solid amount of compressed air to them? If you clear out dust/lint from the between the shoulder buttons and the casing, you might regain functionality. Worked for my L button when it stopped responding a month or two ago.

You mean just spraying some compressed air in there without taking the thing apart? No I haven't tried that but I'll give it a shot.

My other alternative, I've been told, is to take my DS apart and replace the pads that hit the shoulder button sensors with, you know, whatever I have handy. Bits of crumpled up paper or something. I haven't summoned the energy to attempt such a thing yet, though.

Mejilan

No need to take it apart to blow crap away from the button contacts.
Hell, I didn't even use compressed air for mine, I just blew into it sharply with my mouth.
You might have a lot more clutter in there than I did, however.

Wow this game is pretty meta. The CTA is not what it appears! o: I'm assuming
they are the people tracking Yuri and co. seeing as they said the CTA where around when people started TRAVELLING INTO THE SEA OF STARS!!! Fucking hell they love that line in this game :lol
Also something I found odd/hilarious
"I've estimated that there are about 100,000 ships! Due to the military under under-compensating compensating the estimates (or some bullshit) they are only estimating 1,000!" :lol How fucking inept are the military then, I mean if you hand counted the ships on that vid it would be more than 1,000 :lol Sounds like the story team got lazy and just knocked off two zeros from the first guys reading :lol
Either way I'm loving how the game keeps layering in more intrigue and epicness. It's over 6,000!!!

Danthrax said:
That would be a very helpful tip — thank you — but my launch DS's shoulder buttons stopped working years ago, unfortunately.

Well, to clarify, the L button kinda works every once in a while if you press it hard, and at a certain angle, and the moon is in the correct phase. The R button is completely inoperable, though.
Good lord, I don't know how you made it so far without using them. The space travel alone would have killed me if I hadn't been using them. Fix that shit or you will probably stop playing due to frustration.

Banned
bought my first DS since selling my lauch unit 3 years ago and I have to give this game credit. 3 hours in and it has pulled me away from Final Fantasy 13, not even God of War could do that. i love the theme and settings, it's the type of stuff you would probably never see on one of the consoles, and the story seems pretty epic already. The only flaw i have is how simple the combat is. it seems to be nothing more than dodge,back, charge until full, advance, brace/evade enemy and unleash barrage. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully it opens up later.

The only flaw i have is how simple the combat is. it seems to be nothing more than dodge,back, charge until full, advance, brace/evade enemy and unleash barrage. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully it opens up later.
Re-read this post when you are in Ch. 4, re-read again later on.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
i love the theme and settings, it's the type of stuff you would probably never see on one of the consoles, and the story seems pretty epic already.

Yeah, while playing it I kept thinking it feels like it would be a great PC game. (It's a great DS game all the same!)

Danthrax said:
Yeah, while playing it I kept thinking it feels like it would be a great PC game. (It's a great DS game all the same!)

It actually sort of feels like a really "modern" (if that makes any sense) Amiga/DOS game.. Simple to understand gameplay with depth provided by the game's customization and minimalist yet effective story presentation w/ animu stylings.

Anachronism or not, the game is great. Finally started playing it last night and didn't put it down until my DS started running low on battery (wasn't fully charged, though, so got a couple of hours in).

Tenkei

I'm hopelessly addicted to this game, and I don't know why! I'm in the middle of chapter 4, but I keep travelling from planet to planet in hopes that I don't miss any characters or jobs
(being able to recruit HELP v2.0 as a crew member is pretty funny)
, and I keep contemplating restarting sections from earlier saves in case I missed anything. My OCD is strong for this game. :lol

ultron87

Picked this up today. I needed a game to play while co-piloting a 12 hours roadtrip to PAX tomorrow.

I was pretty much even between this and Strange Journey heading into Gamestop, but my mind was made up when a guy was buying their last SJ as I came in. I'm not that broken up about it though, as I love space operas and customizing stuff, so theoretically this is right up my alley.

Tenkei said:
I'm hopelessly addicted to this game, and I don't know why! I'm in the middle of chapter 4, but I keep travelling from planet to planet in hopes that I don't miss any characters or jobs
(being able to recruit HELP v2.0 as a crew member is pretty funny)
, and I keep contemplating restarting sections from earlier saves in case I missed anything. My OCD is strong for this game. :lol
Help v2.0
?

WreckTheLaw

Help v2.0
?

In Chapter 3 or 4, you'll recruit Professor Minas. Once you do, go in and out of the help menu until the help robot breaks down. Once it happens, fly to the nearest star system. Minas will rebuild the Help robot as a female android with a crazy combat skill (something like 30+ combat, Maintenance and something else at 20+, the Medic ability, and the Assignment skill Calm and Cool at level 5 (which gives a huge boost to command gauge recharge. Yes, my Yuri has a sexy robot first officer, who occasionally joins the security team to massacre fools. I love you Infinite Space.

WreckTheLaw

Fuck, I'm in Ch. 5 now and nothings happening :(
I have a save from the start of Ch. 4 but there's no fucking way I'm going through that and most of 5 again.

I don't think it's part of those chapters... keep hittin' Help!

More impressions:

Arrrrgh. At the beginning of chapter eight,
Prof. Minas, Kira, Ian, Tatiana, and Torlo all leave your crew. I'm amazed at how much I care about this crew. Unlike other big-cast games, like Suikoden or Fire Emblem, there's no one I have yet who I don't have some liking of. I specifically really like how close Ian and Yuri have become. This is doubly interesting because so much of what the crew "does" is behind the scenes.

In fact, that's something about IS in general: playing the game well does not have a direct, easy-to-follow effect. In Suikoden or ME2, you know exactly how having X party member with you plays out. When you run against guys with armor, having Jack's warp ammo in ME2 has a clear effect - you know who to thank, so to speak.

If you've done it right in IS, you'll never know you could've done it wrong. If you had gone into your first melee fight with a security crew already in place, or had a whole crew of fighter squad captains slotted the first time you launched your multi-roles, or a beam shield equipped against a boss who only uses beam attacks, you'll be successful and you won't have that "good job, so and so" moment. And yet, I still feel close to these characters. Even though I don't have a formal tie to them. That's some decent writing. Once again, the fact that NudeMaker does a lot of work in the... ahem... interactive fiction department shows.

I wish there were some systemic inclusion of who I've placed where, though. If Gadina said things when her fighters were launched, or I could see Help 2.0 hitting buttons next to Yuri on the bridge, maybe my connection would be even closer.

Edit: Oh, and I meant that I assigned Help 2.0 to Lead Op, not first officer.

I don't even think that it's good writing per se, just the fact that your extra crew members have dialogue to begin with. So many other RPG's that have secret or hidden characters only implement the for their abilities and aesthetics, outside their introductory segment, they become faceless mannequins. So for IS to have crew interactions at all peppered throughout the game, I think, makes the characters much more relate-able and likeable.
The things you mentioned would turn a great game into an amazing one, but it can't be mentioned enough how great the core game is here. So much so that I've stuck with it regardless of its many faults, which are really just archaic design choices more than anything.
Given the popularity here and in Japan, I hope a sequel or some sort of successor project is in the works. If only just to tighten it up.
It's like Suikoden in Space, and lord knows we need more of that in this world.

On a side note, I'm pissed off that I've missed so many side characters alraedy after a quick Google. I guess its just my lack of initiative of backtracking, because I never would have thought to do any of those things to get the characters I've missed so far. I think I'll just have fun with it the first playthrough wait for a faq to come out and do a replay in the distant future.

Top Bottom