• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

MMaRsu

Hey guys what's the verdict on this game? I just started it ( first cutscene )... why no japanese voice track by the way? :(

I can still probably return it tomorrow if it sucks.. I want to know the gaf verdict cause reviews dont mean that much to me.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
MMaRsu said:
Hey guys what's the verdict on this game? I just started it ( first cutscene )... why no japanese voice track by the way? :(

I can still probably return it tomorrow if it sucks.. I want to know the gaf verdict cause reviews dont mean that much to me.

A flawed game but a thoroughly enjoyable one nonetheless. Probably contains my favourite battle system of any JRPG.

Firestorm

MMaRsu said:

Great for $10 if you did that Best Buy sale. I would pay $30 and find it completely worthwhile.

So, I hear that it gets better after the first five hours (yikes! that's still a long time), but the first hour of this game was abominable.

Custscenes: Terrible. Half of them have no VO but go on like they do. Also, written by eighth graders

Graphics: Awful. Drab, uninspired, completely free from detail

Characters: Oh my god, when they introduce the rest of this band of plucky rebels, not only were they embarrassingly voiced, not only were they stiffly animated, but they were by far the most poorly designed characters I've ever seen. Like, laughably so. This one guy has a beard...I mean. You have to see it to believe it.

Gameplay: I suppose the fighting was fun, but it's hard to tell when you spend the first hour of the game in pretty much complete darkness. Which is bad news for a game where you actually have to direct yourself towards enemies. This also makes traveling the map a chore. But hey, at least you can just guide yourself through it with the mini-map, right? Oh no wait, that frequently, for some reason, gets buried in static. I walked into more poorly textured walls than Jumping Flash.

I'm starting to feel like $10 might have been a little steep of an asking price.

How much better does it get, and how does it do it?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
So, I hear that it gets better after the first five hours (yikes! that's still a long time), but the first hour of this game was abominable.

Custscenes: Terrible. Half of them have no VO but go on like they do. Also, written by eighth graders

Graphics: Awful. Drab, uninspired, completely free from detail

Characters: Oh my god, when they introduce the rest of this band of plucky rebels, not only were they embarrassingly voiced, not only were they stiffly animated, but they were by far the most poorly designed characters I've ever seen. Like, laughably so. This one guy has a beard...I mean. You have to see it to believe it.

Gameplay: I suppose the fighting was fun, but it's hard to tell when you spend the first hour of the game in pretty much complete darkness. Which is bad news for a game where you actually have to direct yourself towards enemies. This also makes traveling the map a chore. But hey, at least you can just guide yourself through it with the mini-map, right? Oh no wait, that frequently, for some reason, gets buried in static. I walked into more poorly textured walls than Jumping Flash.

I'm starting to feel like $10 might have been a little steep of an asking price.

How much better does it get, and how does it do it?

The start of the game, the chase sequence in the prison, the stealth sequence (hence the minimap static) in the forest, and the short sequence after the forest are easily the worst parts of the game. After that it reverts to normal dungeons/combat so if you liked the comabt system it will improve. Decent crafting system aswell.

If you think the characters and VA are bad now wait till the two kids are added. Script is hit and miss. Story is okay but it seemed to me that it was incomplete (plotlines that go nowhere, characters that are forgotten about etc).

Saiyar said:
The start of the game, the chase sequence in the prison, the stealth sequence (hence the minimap static) in the forest, and the short sequence after the forest are easily the worst parts of the game. After that it reverts to normal dungeons/combat so if you liked the comabt system it will improve. Decent crafting system aswell.

If you think the characters and VA are bad now wait till the two kids are added. Script is hit and miss. Story is okay but it seemed to me that it was incomplete (plotlines that go nowhere, characters that are forgotten about etc).

I do think the concept is fairly solid. Chaining up the moon is just the right balance of crazy and visually appealing.

Aru

I didn't think that the graphics were so terrible.
Well, it's not great. But artistically I found it good.
Each character is pretty unique and well designed.
I do agree that their personality are quite generic.

The music is good too, especially the main battle theme :D

Nemesis_

Speaking of the moon, I love the writer's creativity when they decided to make the characters
walk to the fucking moon on a chain.
Seriously, how long would that take them? >_>

Still, loved the game. One of my favourite RPGs and one of my most memorable. I know it's very flawed but for some reason I really, really liked it.

One day I'll go back and get my achievements as well as finish the Gate + Eternal Queen or whatever, but with Star Ocean around the corner (PAL) I can't see that happening. >_>

Aru said:
I didn't think that the graphics were so terrible.
Well, it's not great. But artistically I found it good.
Each character is pretty unique and well designed.
I do agree that their personality are quite generic.

The music is good too, especially the main battle theme :D

I can see it getting better looking once it's, you know, daylight. The city design, for example, at least in the Opening CGI, was really quite nice.

MMaRsu said:

The core gameplay and story itself isn't all that bad. I think where IU goes wrong is the voice acting. Square didn't give Tri very much money to hire good localization staff, and they ended up getting these awkward, dry deliveries. I muted the VO about halfway through the game and started enjoying it alot more. The VO really removes willful suspension. It is an otherwise great game sans the VO.

Aru

vandalvideo said:
The core gameplay and story itself isn't all that bad. I think where IU goes wrong is the voice acting. Square didn't give Tri very much money to hire good localization staff, and they ended up getting these awkward, dry deliveries. I muted the VO about halfway through the game and started enjoying it alot more. The VO really removes willful suspension. It is an otherwise great game sans the VO.

It wasn't THAT bad. I've heard VA way worst than that.
I actually liked Aya and Capell's VA.
The worst character, IMO, was the Dreadknight. Awful VA, awful design, awful personality.

And about the graphics, some places are really beautiful:
- the desert
- the forest with
lunar rain
- the city just before that forest, I forgot the name. Nice BG music too.

batbeg

I love this game so much. I'd love to buy a new 360 just to replay it, but alas, the funds :(

And around the time I had the cutscenes in the forest at night, and talking to all the resistance people, I was completely sure it was going to be the worst game I'd played this generation. But about an hour later, I was in looooove.

On the subject of the voice acting... frankly, I liked it. Much prefer it to other JRPGs localizations I've suffered through on the 360, to be honest. Though I'm aware I'm pretty much alone on this.

<3 Capell though. Wish I had my old Capell avatar, I should sport my support.

Glix

I picked this up for 10 bucks at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I haven't played much yet, but I like what I've seen so far.

I like the systems a lot, Tri-ace game is Tri-acey.

Oh my god, fuck this!

I just went through the forest to the shrine, lured the two fucking animals to the door (surprise, snakes can't climbs stairs very well, game designers!) and then I get fucking murderized by a massive boss fight? And the last save point was in TOWN?

RRRRRRGH!!

Harteex

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh my god, fuck this!

I just went through the forest to the shrine, lured the two fucking animals to the door (surprise, snakes can't climbs stairs very well, game designers!) and then I get fucking murderized by a massive boss fight? And the last save point was in TOWN?

RRRRRRGH!!

Try pressing the Y button a bit more if you aren't.

Aru said:
The worst character, IMO, was the Dreadknight. Awful VA, awful design, awful personality.

- the desert
- the forest with
lunar rain

I thought the VA was quite good (most of the times). Although I hated a minor character
Gina I think she was called, but then again, she was made to be annoying.

About the beautiful places, when you're in that optional area and walk towards the exit at the desert, it looks great.

Diablos

Aru said:

- the desert
- the forest with
lunar rain
The graphics are very nice.

As for the VA? Don't kid yourself, it's atrocious.

Wrekt

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh my god, fuck this!

RRRRRRGH!!
I'm at that exact same part. I just opened IU the other day after buying it at the $10 Best Buy sale. The game wasn't awful but I've dragged every single enemy in that dungeon to that door and nothing happens. I'm sure I'm missing something that 5 seconds on google could fix but I've never been one to use strategy guides. I wish the game could be a bit more clear on certain things.

Harteex

Wrekt said:
I'm at that exact same part. I just opened IU the other day after buying it at the $10 Best Buy sale. The game wasn't awful but I've dragged every single enemy in that dungeon to that door and nothing happens. I'm sure I'm missing something that 5 seconds on google could fix but I've never been one to use strategy guides. I wish the game could be a bit more clear on certain things.

I never figured that out by myself, I looked it up.
Link or whatever it was called with Mico and use one of his skills... charade something, on the enemies and they'll follow.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Ehh.. my friend gave me just disc 1 as a "gift" (he hated thegame and his xbox scratched disc 2).

Is it ok to play just disc 1? I know that sounds weird

batbeg

dgenx said:
Ehh.. my friend gave me just disc 1 as a "gift" (he hated thegame and his xbox scratched disc 2).

Is it ok to play just disc 1? I know that sounds weird

No. The majority of the game is on the second disc, and it's where it really opens up a great deal more, I think. Disc 1 is short and only has one dungeon considered any good. Obviously it might be worth playing it to see if you want to go out and rent or buy the rest of the game, but if you don't intend to do that... no. It's by no means a complete experience.

Aru said:
And about the music: Sakuraba surprised me a little here. Some tunes remind me of Valkyrie Profile 2 but some other ones don't sound like Sakuraba at all.

This game has some of Motoi Sakuraba's best music. Nice epic stuff. I think it all sounds very much like him. He's pretty creative, it's just that he works on ten million games every year so some of his songs start to sound like remixes and the listener, who may have heard half or more of his works, start to get a good feel of his style. I hope he continues to do full orchestral music for some of the games he works on. I enjoy this style of his best, much more over the progessive rock stuff, which can be good too.

He's my favorite composer. I don't think I would've enjoyed Eternal Sonata or Infinite Undiscovery as much if his music wasn't so darn great in these games. I want to see him deliver this musical punch to a real great game now (Mario Galaxy/Zelda calibur titles). I hope to hear Mio Sakuraba sing another nice song too.

I hope Golden Sun 3 will be a musical masterpiece.

Aru

Spirit Icana said:
This game has some of Motoi Sakuraba's best music. Nice epic stuff. I think it all sounds very much like him. He's pretty creative, it's just that he works on ten million games every year so some of his songs start to sound like remixes and the listener, who may have heard half or more of his works, start to get a good feel of his style. I hope he continues to do full orchestral music for some of the games he works on. I enjoy this style of his best, much more over the progessive rock stuff, which can be good too.

He's my favorite composer. I don't think I would've enjoyed Eternal Sonata or Infinite Undiscovery as much if his music wasn't so darn great in these games. I want to see him deliver this musical punch to a real great game now (Mario Galaxy/Zelda calibur titles). I hope to hear Mio Sakuraba sing another nice song too.

Yeah, I think music can transform a generic & mediocre game into something really enjoyable.

Harteex

Spirit Icana said:

I haven't heard much of Sakuraba before, what is your favourite game ost from him that isn't IU?

There are so many songs I like, Soaring Blade, Blue Horizon, Step Into a New World, Recollections in the water, Pure alabaster and many more.

The music is great at building up the mood. Thanks to the music it gives the game a special feeling, and makes it feel different from other games.

I'm thinking of playing Star Ocean mostly for the music (even though I hate the characters :p)

eXistor

Such an underrated game. Just don't expect the second coming of Jesus and you'll like it fine. It's very solid all the way through. The story and characters aren't special, but certainly not worse than your average jrpg. Music is pretty good as is the battlesystem. Environments are fine. It's just a fun little rpg to tide you over for the next big release.

batbeg

Harteex said:
I haven't heard much of Sakuraba before, what is your favourite game ost from him that isn't IU?

I definitely think his Valkyrie Profile and Baten Kaitos works are the absolute best. Some of my favorite pieces of video game music (or any kind of music) between those four games. The music is practically a reason unto itself to want sequels to those games, if it means a new Sakuraba soundtrack in the style.

Glix

Harteex said:
I never figured that out by myself, I looked it up.
Link or whatever it was called with Mico and use one of his skills... charade something, on the enemies and they'll follow.

I spent about a half hour getting them to aggro me, and slowing moving to the door so that they stayed with me and kept attacking me. As soon as I clicked on the door, they would bolt back to their original spot.

Man, did that piss me off, I had to look it up as well.

Kreed

I picked this game up for 10 bucks too a few weeks ago at Best Buy and I've been enjoying it excluding the voice acting (one of the reasons Square Enix needs to start including the original VAs for their games).

I have to agree the first part of the game was almost a deal breaker (I think the worst parts of the game are anything that isn't "normal" dungeon crawling, and the first part is filled with this) but the game falls into place once you get further in (I'm on the second disk now trying to earn money for expensive equipment).

Llyranor

Of Sakuraba's recent work, I prefer Eternal Sonata by a huge margin, but IU is pretty good as well. SO4/Vesperia are pretty forgettable.

batbeg

Kreed said:
I picked this game up for 10 bucks too a few weeks ago at Best Buy and I've been enjoying it excluding the voice acting (one of the reasons Square Enix needs to start including the original VAs for their games).

The videos I saw with the Japanese voice acting were pretty fucking abysmal, to be honest. Capell was just... so annoying. Though for a two disc game it is pretty insane they didn't have multilingual options.

Harteex

Glix said:
I spent about a half hour getting them to aggro me, and slowing moving to the door so that they stayed with me and kept attacking me. As soon as I clicked on the door, they would bolt back to their original spot.

Man, did that piss me off, I had to look it up as well.

I think I spent even more time than that doing the same thing >_>

Llyranor said:
Of Sakuraba's recent work, I prefer Eternal Sonata by a huge margin, but IU is pretty good as well. SO4/Vesperia are pretty forgettable.

Wow I didn't know he did the music for Eternal Sonata. I've got the game but haven't started playing it yet :D

MMaRsu

Well I'm stuck in Blue Dragon ( goddamn water temple like dungeon, fuck that thing is shit ), so I'll just go and play this instead. I got up to the point where the two kids were added. It's so strange that alot of cutscenes don't have any VA but allright. Graphics aren't that hot, and the prison part sucked ass. Fucking Ogre. So did the forest part.

But I hope it's better from now on..Combat is cool :)

Harteex

MMaRsu said:
Well I'm stuck in Blue Dragon ( goddamn water temple like dungeon, fuck that thing is shit ), so I'll just go and play this instead. I got up to the point where the two kids were added. It's so strange that alot of cutscenes don't have any VA but allright. Graphics aren't that hot, and the prison part sucked ass. Fucking Ogre. So did the forest part.

But I hope it's better from now on..Combat is cool :)

It really does get better from that point. If you get stuck at a door in the next dungeon, check a few posts up in this thread.

Harteex said:
Wow I didn't know he did the music for Eternal Sonata. I've got the game but haven't started playing it yet :D

I also think Eternal Sonata, by far, is Motoi Sakuraba's best work. Mio Sakuraba, his daughter, lent her voice to a great song that serves as the game's main theme song: Jewel of the Heart. I bought an Xbox 360 just to play Motoi Sakuraba composed games. :D

I also enjoyed his work with Golden Sun a lot. The first Mario Tennis for Nintendo 64 had some nice tunes from him too. Star Ocean 4 has some good songs, but I didn't like it as much as ES and IU. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria has some great songs (and an awesome final battle song titled: Unrestrained Struggle). He does A LOT of stuff. It'll take too long to post it all up.

I'm personally not a big fan of his early Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile titles. They had nice songs, but for me, he became a favorite when he started using real instruments and instrument samples to compliment his powerful synthesizers. I think his best stuff started to take shape first with the original Baten Kaitos and then every game, that's not Tales of, sounded nice and more up my alley. I love his most recent brass synth that worked great with the live strings for Infinite Undiscovery.

He's working on End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate right now. I think the full orchestra samples may be his songs. I don't think it's beyond him. Also, Valhalla Knights: Elder Chronicles and Tales of Graces, both for the Wii, will have songs from him, the latter having partial Sakuraba contributions. He's no doubt working on more unannounced stuff too.

icecream

Public Health Threat
batbeg said:
The videos I saw with the Japanese voice acting were pretty fucking abysmal, to be honest. Capell was just... so annoying.
Capell sounds bad, but in return it's all about Aya and Michelle, and Komachi sounding good. :D

eXistor said:
Such an underrated game. Just don't expect the second coming of Jesus and you'll like it fine. It's very solid all the way through.
Agreed. Once you get your full cast of characters, the game starts picking up its pace and it never really lets up. An IU2 with all the rough points addressed would be a surefire hit. Hopefully MS will make it happen.

Hartex, I want you to listen to this. This was sung by Motoi Sakuraba's daughter when she was just 9 years old. The music is composed by him and his wife wrote the lyrices, which were then translated to italian, and then Mio sang the song in italian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-jFRuvA2o

Enjoy! I think you'll have a lot of nice listening sessions since you haven't heard much of Sakuraba before.

Harteex

Spirit Icana said:
Hartex, I want you to listen to this. This was sung by Motoi Sakuraba's daughter when she was just 9 years old. The music is composed by him and his wife wrote the lyrices, which were then translated to italian, and then Mio sang the song in italian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-jFRuvA2o

Enjoy! I think you'll have a lot of nice listening sessions since you haven't heard much of Sakuraba before.

Cool.
The song was good on the first listen.
Then on the second and third listen and so on it was awesome :D
I'll definitely check out the OST recommendations from you and others in this thread.

BenjaminBirdie said:
In terms of music, the Start Screen piano theme is really quite nice. I often just let it play for a little bit.

I used to do that too :)

daycru

Is this worth 17.99? I have a 120 gig which mitigates many of the problems from what I've read. How are the achievements? Jonesing for a JRPG for some reason.

UraMallas

daycru said:
Is this worth 17.99? I have a 120 gig which mitigates many of the problems from what I've read. How are the achievements? Jonesing for a JRPG for some reason.
Achievements are a very, very hard 1000. You will get any where from 350 to 500 on a first play through on Normal but to get some of the other achievements you'll be taking a very long time. I've played through it once on normal and am trying to get all of the rest of the achievements this time on Hard (besides one more that I can't get on this playthrough that is worth 1 point).

Is it worth $18? Absolutely, it is. It's a relatively short JRPG at about 25 hours but it was well worth the $40 I spent on it. If I can give you one piece of advice, though, it's that you must play through at least 3 segments (totaling about 3 hours game time) that are absolutely abysmal at the very beginning of the game. After that, it is one of the best action JRPGs I've ever played. I truly love the game and would put it on a top 10 of this generation list without hesitation even with the horrible way they decided to start the game. Push through the beginning and I think you'll like it if you enjoy traditional JRPGs.

starsky

UraMallas puts a great review of the game, so I'll just add my personal experience.

I played it in one walkthrough and I got 659/1000. If you have a guide handy around you, you can get higher since I missed a couple of story achievements.

The game definitely worths $18. It's a good game with great characters and palatable storyline. I like most of the characters I met in the game, which is quite a rare feat. It's not that long too, you can breeze through the game in 20 hours even though if you're like me, it will be around 45 hours before the final credit rolls. There is a bonus dungeon after the ending too.

Cmagus

So I just finished this game.Overall it was good but the story near the end became weird as hell.Didnt have too many problems with the game I felt like crafting and such could have been a little deeper and the lip syncing was just awful killed so many of the cutscenes.

Ending Spoiler
How did Capell get off the moon? or is she just seeing things.Maybe I am thinking about it too much I mean they walked there so you know lo.Did he get teleported as well but hid low to allow the others to move on and not have to feel obligated to follow him?The aristos were still pretty close when they teleported and he did it like 2 minutes after they left.

I've been playing this game for about 16 hours now.

Um...it's actually pretty damn awesome. I dismissed initially and thought it was the worst JRPG I had ever played. That was last year. I decided to give the game another shot two days ago and brought it with me (along with Catherine) when I had to house/dog-sit for my sister and her husband.

I really like it. I like all the trait stuff and seeing another group of four members on the map besides your own at times. It makes it feel like a true party of people traveling together.

FreeMufasa

dragonlife said:
I've been playing this game for about 16 hours now.

Um...it's actually pretty damn awesome. I dismissed initially and thought it was the worst JRPG I had ever played. That was last year. I decided to give the game another shot two days ago and brought it with me (along with Catherine) when I had to house/dog-sit for my sister and her husband.

I really like it. I like all the trait stuff and seeing another group of four members on the map besides your own at times. It makes it feel like a true party of people traveling together.

I really like it too. This game is unbelievably hated though. I mean sure, it does have quite a few legitimate criticisms but people would make you believe it's Big Rigs level.

I wish more JRPGs implemented the big party feature (I think it was like 4 teams of 4?). Give you access to order each one around. Looks like PSO2 is doing that.

FreeMufasa said:
I really like it too. This game is unbelievably hated though. I mean sure, it does have quite a few legitimate criticisms but people would make you believe it's Big Rigs level.

I wish more JRPGs implemented the big party feature (I think it was like 4 teams of 4?). Give you access to order each one around. Looks like PSO2 is doing that.
This has always been something I wanted to see in more JRPGs. I've never seen it, really, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was implemented in this game. It cemented my love for it quite a bit. I really liked the Vesplume Tower...so cool.

Yeah, the game could have been better, but it's still pretty damn fun!

Also really enjoyed this one, almost gave up on it early on though, once those two kids join the party and your stuck with them for a while, that was painful.
After that it just got better and better, think I ended up with 900/1000, might go back one day and try for the last few points.

Well, I finished the game today. The game was pretty simple all around, but I did have fun with it. I'm thinking of 1000/1000ing it. And, yeah, I've seen the Achievements already...

I will do it!

Top Bottom