• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Firestorm

I'm in that castle after
healing Aya
and goddammit. I made it pretty far and died. I hope the dungeons get better than this copy+pasted same looking hallway shit.

Firestorm

Ok, game has picked up again for me =) Apparently Genma was there and I could have healed but I never saw him. The multi-party thing is pretty cool. I wonder why they don't let me use it more... Feels like I'm actually part of a large group of travelers.

I'm still bad at combos though =(

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I was hesitant to buy this game from the reviews, but then I remembered that the most popular reviewers these days seem to have something against Japanese RPGs. I bought it, I'm on disc 2, and I'm entertained. While it's not top notch game, I'd give it a solid 80-85%. I don't know what's up with reviewers these days, but now I'm convinced not to pay attention to them anymore when it comes to jRPGs.

I think this game is great. It's nothing ultra-special, but it's a lot of fun...besides the compulsive and max fol achievement. At this point, the gameplay's been reduced to Grinn Valesti spamming, more or less. And even that's fun for little bursts.

btw, combos work like this:

A = light attack
B = heavy attack
hold A = light special
hold B = heavy special

you're allowed to link them like this:

light attack/combo -> heavy attack -> light special -> heavy special

So after that it's basically messing around with special move combinations and seeing which ones work, plus having your teammates on combo helps.

goldenpp72

I bought this for 60 on the day it came out and just got around to it..

kinda sucks ass. The voice work is bad and non existent sometimes, and the story and such seems laughably bad. I've played about 90 minutes and got into a dungeon with these stupid kids and got to a door asking for a bat and snake something, I lured them over to it and couldnt figure out wtf to do :/

I'll keep at it though, tips? The controls are kinda stupid to me as well, having to put a weapon away to run and open stuff? Fucking dumb.

teh_pwn

Use connect to use that animal parade ability or whatever it's called on that snake/bat that spawns as you run from the door that says it craves those. Then just walk to the door and hit A or maybe it auto-starts the scene as you approach the door with the snake/bat under mind control.

To interact with stuff, like the door, you've got to put away your sword.

teh_pwn

goldenpp72 said:
The voice work is bad and non existent sometimes, and the story and such seems laughably bad. I've played about 90 minutes and got into a dungeon with these stupid kids and got to a door asking for a bat and snake something, I lured them over to it and couldnt figure out wtf to do :/

I think this reflects what reviewers are doing these days. I've been playing jRPGs for over 10 years. I always expect the story to either be creative/odd, involve demonizing religion, global resource consumption that is destroying the planet and must be removed, have a socially awkward teen save the world, or some combination thereof.

I actually thought the voice acting was good. Capell sounds like he might be some guy in his 30s tuning up his voice a lot. But from what I could tell the kids were actually kids rather than having some butch woman doing the boy's voice.

I think other's criticisms of lack of details on subquests and situation bonuses are warranted. I'm just not the completionist type. That level of grinding gets very drawn out, and I begin to understand that I'm just looping in some trivial code.

Usually when I'm playing these games, I'm mostly looking for a mix of good music (Nobuo Uematsu, Motoi Sakuraba, etc), a decent story, and some strategy/puzzles.

Loudninja

goldenpp72 said:
I bought this for 60 on the day it came out and just got around to it..

kinda sucks ass. The voice work is bad and non existent sometimes, and the story and such seems laughably bad. I've played about 90 minutes and got into a dungeon with these stupid kids and got to a door asking for a bat and snake something, I lured them over to it and couldnt figure out wtf to do :/

I'll keep at it though, tips? The controls are kinda stupid to me as well, having to put a weapon away to run and open stuff? Fucking dumb.

Watch this vid

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_8575_en.html

Compass

Banned
Brandon F said:
Also, it's shameful that Sidequests are not logged someplace to keep track of. Hell, it's almost impossible to tell you were even given a sidetask in most cases without consulting a guide. So many of them appear transparent with the usual NPC forgetalogue.

I fucking hate this shit so much. I bitched about it in another topic, but feeble thread borders can't contain my bubbling rage. 95% of JRPGs flat-out refuse to include Quest Logs. It's complete bullshit.

That animal parade bit was annoying. The game tells you HOW to use skills, but because you're never told what the skills actually DO, you're kind of left in the dark for this puzzle. It took me hours to work it out. :p

goldenpp72

teh_pwn said:
I think this reflects what reviewers are doing these days. I've been playing jRPGs for over 10 years. I always expect the story to either be creative/odd, involve demonizing religion, global resource consumption that is destroying the planet and must be removed, have a socially awkward teen save the world, or some combination thereof.

I actually thought the voice acting was good. Capell sounds like he might be some guy in his 30s tuning up his voice a lot. But from what I could tell the kids were actually kids rather than having some butch woman doing the boy's voice.

I think other's criticisms of lack of details on subquests and situation bonuses are warranted. I'm just not the completionist type. That level of grinding gets very drawn out, and I begin to understand that I'm just looping in some trivial code.

Usually when I'm playing these games, I'm mostly looking for a mix of good music (Nobuo Uematsu, Motoi Sakuraba, etc), a decent story, and some strategy/puzzles.

The story itself is just very random and not very cohesive, the acting and the animations that follow are very stilted and awkward, something i'd not expect in a next gen rpg. Games like lost odyssey were far better in this sense at least, and even blue dragon.

Firestorm

Compass said:
I fucking hate this shit so much. I bitched about it in another topic, but feeble thread borders can't contain my bubbling rage. 95% of JRPGs flat-out refuse to include Quest Logs. It's complete bullshit.
The best quest log ever was in Zelda: Majora's Mask and that's not even an RPG.

Android18a said:
That animal parade bit was annoying. The game tells you HOW to use skills, but because you're never told what the skills actually DO, you're kind of left in the dark for this puzzle. It took me hours to work it out. :p

Well, they did teach you how to connect, and then the little kid introduced himself as a beastmaster or whatever...I dunno, connecting the dots wasn't all that hard after that.

Yazus

ShadowgeistX said:
Well, they did teach you how to connect, and then the little kid introduced himself as a beastmaster or whatever...I dunno, connecting the dots wasn't all that hard after that.

I did it at the first try without anyone telling my what to do. Was it really that hard?

Firestorm

I just finished Disc 1. I'd like to repeat that I love the party system in this game. It really makes you feel like the entire party is part of the game instead of just 4. I wish more games let you use almost the entire cast.

But, (spoilers for end of disc 1)
the plot twist was really bland and predictable =/ Thought it would happen closer to the end of the game actually

Disc 2 already and only 6 hours in. That's a lot of FMV :eek:

navi001

Neo Member
Firestorm said:
I just finished Disc 1. I'd like to repeat that I love the party system in this game. It really makes you feel like the entire party is part of the game instead of just 4. I wish more games let you use almost the entire cast.

But, (spoilers for end of disc 1)
the plot twist was really bland and predictable =/ Thought it would happen closer to the end of the game actually

Disc 2 already and only 6 hours in. That's a lot of FMV :eek:

that's not the plot twist =O

batbeg

navi001 said:
that's not the plot twist =O

I have to admit, the actual plot twist was a pretty big fucking WTF that came out of nowhere for me, rivaled only by VP2.

Though the great thing I liked about the end of the first disc was
not that Sigmund died (duh), but that you effectively lose your villain. It really left me confused as to where the game was about to go

Firestorm

I messed up my spoiler tag. Of course I didn't really have any real spoilers in there, but edit your post as well navi, please.

batbeg said:
I have to admit, the actual plot twist was a pretty big fucking WTF that came out of nowhere for me, rivaled only by VP2.

Though the great thing I liked about the end of the first disc was
not that Sigmund died (duh), but that you effectively lose your villain. It really left me confused as to where the game was about to go
That was the main villain up to this point? I've been confused as to who the villain is all this time. Although hold on, this was the guy they were fighting in the CG intro movie I guess?

Crap. I gotta stay out of this thread. I didn't even want to know there was another plot twist :lol

teh_pwn

There really aren't any shocking plot twists if you pay attention. Tons of clues and massive hints to the point that when things are revealed, you're like "yeah, I figured that out 5 hours ago.".

starsky

I figured out the plot twist before I played the game
since Capell wears Sigmund's clothes in some of the screenshots, and Sigmund wasn't present in the group picture
. Nevertheless it's still a good game to me.

The battle system is ridiculously easy but I like all of the characters in IU, even the kids whom I usually hate in JRPG. If anyone can get this for cheap, give this game a try.

batbeg

teh_pwn said:
There really aren't any shocking plot twists if you pay attention. Tons of clues and massive hints to the point that when things are revealed, you're like "yeah, I figured that out 5 hours ago.".

No. Just no. (End-game spoilers here, don't highlight Firestorm!)
It was damn obvious there was a connection between Capell and Sigmund, but it's fucking impossible you could have figured out Sigmund was Capell's Dad 5 hours before it happened. Seriously way out of left field shit there. I was waiting for the inevitable brother reveal, then that...?

Yazus

batbeg said:
It was damn obvious there was a connection between Capell and Sigmund, but it's fucking impossible you could have figured out Sigmund was Capell's Dad 5 hours before it happened. Seriously way out of left field shit there. I was waiting for the inevitable brother reveal, then that...?

Me too. I would have tought about some kind of copia like ToTA or other shits

Nif

batbeg said:

Yup,
except I was expecting clones.

Firestorm

So I'm in Kolton. Just
healed Ed
. How much left? Is each disc half the game or is it split up really unevenly like Tales of Symphonia.

Firestorm

Why the hell was there no save point after fighting the
Knight in Casandra
. I went thinking they would give me a save point before the next boss battle, but apparently no. Goddammit. That guy was hard as hell too -_- I haven't had a chance to replenish my items in forever.

batbeg

Firestorm said:
Why the hell was there no save point after fighting the
Knight in Casandra
. I went thinking they would give me a save point before the next boss battle, but apparently no. Goddammit. That guy was hard as hell too -_- I haven't had a chance to replenish my items in forever.

There's a teleport pad and Genma next to where
Capell got it on with Aya.
If you're not already past it, that is. Be warned, lots of people hate the dungeon you're in due to lack of save points :p I got by alright, just make sure you spam Grim Valesti.

Firestorm

batbeg said:
There's a teleport pad and Genma next to where
Capell got it on with Aya.
If you're not already past it, that is. Be warned, lots of people hate the dungeon you're in due to lack of save points :p I got by alright, just make sure you spam Grim Valesti.
Don't have that attack yet. And agh I must have missed him again. Apparently he was in the beginning of the cave area before that too x_x; Same thing happened to me all the way back in the castle with the catapaults.

friggin ninja

batbeg

I missed him before as well. All. The fucking. Time.

Shame you don't have Grim Valesti, it really is just like being handed a pass through the game, but it's a fun attack to play with. It'd also make the last fight a lot easier on you. Good luck! You're in for some of the most ridiculous shit ever in the ending :lol

Firestorm

Finished game. Big ending question but
how the fuck did Capell get back
. Also, I wasn't too surprised by
Sigmund being Capell's dad. I figured they were related and when whats-her-face said the story I was like, "oh, so that's it"

Overall I thought the game was decent enough. Then again, I liked Eternal Sonata. Finished at 16 hours. Liked Capell, Aya, Eugene, and Edward (by the end, started out hating him really). The cast is huge o_O; Some seemed so throwaway.

I really, really hope that the sub-party system gets implemented elsewhere. It was awesome. Vesplume Tower especially just pulled it off so well. It seemed a waste that they didn't repeat it. I mean, in the
Underwater Castle
it didn't even make a difference =/ I was hoping I'd have
everyone available in the final boss fight
but ah well. It's like they ran out of time to implement it better.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Started the game this week. It starts off reaaaaal slow and I actually hated the game at first. But after being able to create items and getting a full party, it started getting really interesting there. I also like the humor. The game is very rough around the edges (absolutely atrocious VA) but it's not what I would call unplayable. Can't wait to see these so called plot twists. :D

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The game is mostly mediocre but I liked the way they handled Capell. He's kind of a wuss, dumb as hell at times and really perverted but he slowly develops into what he's supposed to be.
And despite the many desperate attempts to get some throughout the game, he actually did. :lol

Firestorm

Kadey said:
The game is mostly mediocre but I liked the way they handled Capell. He's kind of a wuss, dumb as hell at times and really perverted but he slowly develops into what he's supposed to be.
And despite the many desperate attempts to get some throughout the game, he actually did. :lol
Haha. At that part, I thought
"oh hey they're going to kiss that's cute." And then the next morning, I see him and Aya oh snap :eek:

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kadey said:

Yeah, that was my favorite part of the game... Capell was a pretty cool character, went through the range of emotions in the game, very well developed and a refreshing lead for an RPG.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Omg, I'm getting my ass whooped by some
skeleton/ghost guy on floor 5 or 6 in the underwater temple.
And every time i have to do it all over again just to fight that bastard :(

desverger

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just noticed this is on play.com for 23 EUR.

Would you recommend this if I like other horrible xbox360 RPGs like the Last Remnant? :p

Framerate and other technical issues aren't an issue for me. Anymore :lol

starsky

desverger said:
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just noticed this is on play.com for 23 EUR.

Would you recommend this if I like other horrible xbox360 RPGs like the Last Remnant? :p

The battle of this game happens in real time, so it's pretty different than Last Remnant. There's no framerate or technical issue with this game, it doesn't even switch to another screen when you're fighting (seamless battle).

I would recommend this game, especially if you're looking forward to Star Ocean 4 as the game engine is pretty similar. If you decide to buy it, give it at least 5 hours since many people hate the beginning of the game. And have fun!

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Old thread? is yesterday that old? But I don't think you can compare Last Remnant with Infinite Undiscovery. Last Remnant is turn based, IU is an action RPG. It's not really hard and it has an so so story, but otherwise it is really ok. Not an really good RPG but for me it was good enough. But hey, I even liked Enchanted Arms :).

Firestorm

desverger said:

I found it enjoyable enough. I think it's a good $20 game, just like Eternal Sonata.

BaZZaa said:
Omg, I'm getting my ass whooped by some
skeleton/ghost guy on floor 5 or 6 in the underwater temple.
And every time i have to do it all over again just to fight that bastard :(
For that battle I think I set my party to Spread.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Firestorm said:
For that battle I think I set my party to Spread.

finaly finished the bastard last night after about 5 tries. With my Grim Valesti. it wasn't so hard either :) So I'm hoping to finish the game tonight

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Last savepoint- Lv114. So I managed to get to the next to last floor of the seraphic gate at Lv138. Decided to make the trek back outside to create items due to farming for materials. On the way back, my idiotic party decided to get themselves killed and here I am running away from a little damn spider which shot my ass from god knows where to do 4000 damage and single-handedly wasted 3+ hours of my life. #$@()%&*&!!

goldenpp72

I need some help. Im on the last boss and his stupid shield shit keeps on killing my whole party super fast. We're only level 50s, is there any way to make it so they heal faster, or to auto equip those dolls so I dont fucking die? :/

I really want to finish this game. is it even possible to level grind from where I am? :/

Harteex

goldenpp72 said:
I need some help. Im on the last boss and his stupid shield shit keeps on killing my whole party super fast. We're only level 50s, is there any way to make it so they heal faster, or to auto equip those dolls so I dont fucking die? :/

I really want to finish this game. is it even possible to level grind from where I am? :/

It was a while ago I played, could you describe where your latest save point is? (maybe put in spoiler tags too :p)

A tip for healing... you could pick a healer and unequip all but the healing spells on that character. And make good use the Y button.

Aru

Just got this game this week. It's pretty fun ! (Why the hate ?)
Of the 3 RPGs that I've played on the 360 (Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and this one), it's easily the most fun. The story is good, but really predictable (I easily predicted when the CD1 would end, and what would be happening at this moment. And I was right).

Finished the CD1 in 8 hours and 30 minutes :lol Is this a joke ? :p I heard that the game was short, but still. We have a record here !

The graphics are often very good (I like the characters. The models are good and each character is very unique), but some textures are a bit awful. But overall, I like the graphics of the game.

It's certainly not one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but I like it.

And about the music: Sakuraba surprised me a little here. Some tunes remind me of Valkyrie Profile 2 but some other ones don't sound like Sakuraba at all.

I've only 2 complaints so far: the frame rate sucks in battle and sometimes the objectives are totally not clear.
How many time did I lose in Castle Prevant to find out that I had to use the flute to reveal some stairs ? And taking control of a bat and a snake to pass a door in the shrine ?

Thanks FAQs for that.
Those are the only things I used a FAQ for, because they were driving me mad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Aru said:
Just got this game this week. It's pretty fun ! (Why the hate ?)
Of the 3 RPGs that I've played on the 360 (Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and this one), it's easily the most fun. The story is good, but really predictable (I easily predicted when the CD1 would end, and what would be happening at this moment. And I was right).

Finished the CD1 in 8 hours and 30 minutes :lol Is this a joke ? :p I heard that the game was short, but still. We have a record here !

The graphics are often very good (I like the characters. The models are good and each character is very unique), but some textures are a bit awful. But overall, I like the graphics of the game.

It's certainly not one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but I like it.

And about the music: Sakuraba surprised me a little here. Some tunes remind me of Valkyrie Profile 2 but some other ones don't sound like Sakuraba at all.

I've only 2 complaints so far: the frame rate sucks in battle and sometimes the objectives are totally not clear.
How many time did I lose in Castle Prevant to find out that I had to use the flute to reveal some stairs ? And taking control of a bat and a snake to pass a door in the shrine ?

Thanks FAQs for that.
Those are the only things I used a FAQ for, because they were driving me mad.

You'll hear a droning, humming sound and see a wavy distortion in areas you can use the flute to uncover hidden chests/passages.

Aru

djtiesto said:
You'll hear a droning, humming sound and see a wavy distortion in areas you can use the flute to uncover hidden chests/passages.

Yeah, I heard that.
But the first time, I didn't know it was related to the flute.

The second CD is harder than the first.
I had a hard time beating Port Zala's boss and now I'm fighting against the
Queen spider. There's no save point nearby, so I must do all the dungeon again if I lose >_< I hate those damn mushrooms.

Is level 29-30 enough to beat this boss ?

EDIT:

Nevermind.
I checked my skills and magic and saw that I've keep the same ones since the beginning of the game :lol
I changed them and then the battle was ultra easy.

Top Bottom