• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

Yoshiya

Doesn't work on iPad 1, crashes straight to home screen. I was afraid of this... but come on, the device is one year old.

Fine as in sub 30 frames at times? The area after the intro sequence seems a bit better but still disappointing.

Only did the first two fights (which I just did again to check) think I saw like one dip while it was transitioning between cutscene and playable. Other then that it seems solid to me.

No, a quarter. The iPhone 4 doubled both the vertical and horizontal display resolution, therefore 4x the pixels.

I must not get how that shit works 'cause that still sounds like it'd be half to me. Can't you just go by the PPI? Iphone 4 has 326 ppi, 3GS has 163. Both have a 3.5" screen so it's still half the pixels. Unless I'm missing something which is very possible.

Vire

It seems to be...in a way that makes no sense to me.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. The game assumes you've read the novel and are completely up to speed. Incredibly confusing thus far...

Honestly they should have kept it really simple.

Only did the first two fights (which I just did again to check) think I saw like one dip while it was transitioning between cutscene and playable. Other then that it seems solid to me.

I must not get how that shit works 'cause that still sounds like it'd be half to me. Can't you just go by the PPI? Iphone 4 has 326 ppi, 3GS has 163. Both have a 3.5" screen so it's still half the pixels. Unless I'm missing something which is very possible.

Maybe I'm sensitive to these kinds of things but it seems hard to miss - especially in certain areas. Rather unfortunate...

I much rather them tone down the graphics to maintain a consistent framerate than have it chug mid battle. Oh well.

If it sounds like I'm bitching a lot - that's not my intention as the game itself seems just as solid as the first - just some technical issues that are niggling at me.

burgerdog

It seems buggy, it feels like there's missing sound effects when you strike enemies. It's also skipping a lot of the lines by the protagonist, you can see the subtitles pop up for a split second and the camera switching to him and then whoever you were talking to cuts in.

4S, by the way.

Yoshiya

Think about how many pixels there would be if only the horizontal resolution was doubled. There would be twice as many.

X horizontal resolution * Y vertical resolution = XY pixels
2X horizontal resolution * Y vertical resolution = 2XY pixels
2X horizontal resolution * 2Y vertical resolution = 4XY pixels

320 * 480 = 153600 (3GS)
640 * 960 = 614400 (4)
614400/153600 = 4

It seems buggy, it feels like there's missing sound effects when you strike enemies. It's also skipping a lot of the lines by the protagonist, you can see the subtitles pop up for a split second and the camera switching to him and then whoever you were talking to cuts in.

4S, by the way.

Yup. THought it was just me

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Ah thanks for the tip people! First game I've been excited about for the iOS in forever. Really looking forward to it!

gabe90

4S, by the way.

I also have no audio when striking. It's strangely peaceful and took me a moment to realize what was missing. iPad 2.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Interested in these reports of sound drop-outs. I played on an iPad 1, iPAd 2, and iPhone 4S and never experienced any outright bugs.

Re: storyline - it's not that confusing. You're the God-King killer from IB1, looking for The Worker of Secrets, the guy that made the Infinity Blade. Worker has been imprisoned... you have to kill three dudes & unlock three locks to release him.

The catch? You have to pay with your blood (ie kill yourself) to unlock each lock. How can you do that and keep coming back over and over? Well, that's the twist, isn't it...

Think about how many pixels there would be if only the horizontal resolution was doubled. There would be twice as many.

X horizontal resolution * Y vertical resolution = XY pixels
2X horizontal resolution * Y vertical resolution = 2XY pixels
2X horizontal resolution * 2Y vertical resolution = 4XY pixels

Haha. I was in the middle of explaining how I still don't understand, using a nice diagram when it clicked and I got what you were saying.

I'm still confused by the PPI, though. I don't fully understand what that means, I guess. Cause it still seems like the iphone 4 has double the pixels since they are both 3.5" screens and the Iphone 4 supposedly has double the PPI.

Interested in these reports of sound drop-outs. I played on an iPad 1, iPAd 2, and iPhone 4S and never experienced any outright bugs.

Yeah, only done the first two fights, twice. Haven't had frame drops in fights or sounds missing, yet. Hope it stays that way.

dream

Maybe I'm sensitive to these kinds of things but it seems hard to miss - especially in certain areas. Rather unfortunate...

I much rather them tone down the graphics to maintain a consistent framerate than have it chug mid battle. Oh well.

If it sounds like I'm bitching a lot - that's not my intention as the game itself seems just as solid as the first - just some technical issues that are niggling at me.

I think I see what you mean. This might be the best reason for iPhone 4 users to upgrade to iPhone 4S. I just fought some dual wielding assassin dude and the framerate was abysmal. I'm talking like 10fps.

PS: how is Godking alive? I thought I killed him!

Yoshiya

Haha. I was in the middle of explaining how I still don't understand, using a nice diagram when it clicked and I got what you were saying.

I'm still confused by the PPI, though. I don't fully understand what that means, I guess. Cause it still seems like the iphone 4 has double the pixels since they are both 3.5" screens and the Iphone 4 supposedly has double the PPI.

I guess it's because it's pixels per inch, not per square inch (a 1D vs 2D measurement). The 4 has 4x the pixels in the same area, but 2x the pixels (in a one dimensional sense) for a given length (one inch). PPI only works if we assume square pixels so that PPI isn't different for each dimension considered.

Woah. Played it for 45 minutes on my iPhone 4, and my battery dropped 20%. I guess they have to throw all those polygons on there somehow.

I guess it's because it's pixels per inch, not per square inch (a 1D vs 2D measurement). The 4 has 4x the pixels in the same area, but 2x the pixels (in a one dimensional sense) for a given length (one inch). PPI only works if we assume square pixels so that PPI isn't different for each dimension considered.

Well, today, things were learned thanks to NEOGaf. I should have posted my post up to where I was. You would have at least gotten a chuckle out of seeing when the light in my brain went on.

Kevin

Anyone try this on the iPod Touch 4th generation? How well does it run? How much of the graphics are intract? Any screens/videos?

Yoshiya

Well, today, things were learned thanks to NEOGaf. I should have posted my post up to where I was. You would have at least gotten a chuckle out of seeing when the light in my brain went on.

Haha, thanks for making me figure out what PPI actually meant though. It was one of those numbers I'd thrown around before but never stopped to wonder it's actually significance. I don't really understand why 2D pixel density wouldn't be the better measurement though. Huh.

Synless

4S, by the way.

Yeah, same problems here on my 4s and ipad2.

burgerdog

This sucks, I want to continue playing the game. I just don't want to knowing that I'm missing story bits when it skips lines.

Top Bottom