• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 |OT| Grodd's Among Us

vg260

Yeah Joker being in this game is such a waste... I am tired of seeing Joker & Luthor. If Arkham Knight game got one thing right, there was no Joker. Plus Joker ruined
Suicide Squad
movie. Granted that movie was already bad but Joker made it even worse.

Warner Bros needs to try to stop rebooting Batman just so they can rehash Joker over & over

Wait, what?

patchday

oh right
he was a ghost in that game too
. Just no escaping him. I guess he'll turn up in Justice League movie as well?

Funny I forgot bout that. It was actually a nice touch I must admit. Ah, hence where they got scarecrow from in this game I guess

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah Joker (and Harley at this point) is numero uno for villains. Nobody is on his level, and I'm sure NRS have the play data to reflect it.

Lex is iconic but not as a fighter. His outfit should be a power suit, not Power Armor.

patchday

just seems kinda weird to kill a guy and then still add him to the roster. But I suppose if people honestly request the character then it's all good. But could've sworn when Joker was announced people was like, "uhhh what?". But i could be wrong I didnt spend too much time in hype threads. I try to focus on released games

And I might have legit seen Joker less than Swamp Thing online. But there's multiple factors at play there. I'm sure if he was OP like Black Adam (at launch) people would flock to him for easy wins

Compbros

Joker is in a league of his own. You'll never get Injustice without Joker, sorry.

I don't think so. These days? Sure. Overall, no. Joker didn't really reach mainstream iconic level until mid-late 90s. If the can do Superman with no Lex then they can do Batman with no Joker.

vg260

I don't think so. These days? Sure. Overall, no. Joker didn't really reach mainstream iconic level until mid-late 90s. If the can do Superman with no Lex then they can do Batman with no Joker.

I don't think Joker needs to be in everything, but Joker was always iconic and the go-to Batman villain. Cesar Romero's Joker in the 60's show was definitely iconic.

ZeroX03

Banned

60s had Batman 66. 80s had Burton's Batman. 90s had TAS. 00s had The Dark Knight. Joker has been the biggest name in comic book villains for a very long time. The Suicide Squad version sucked and he still sold tickets.

Also what does 'these days' have to do with it? Saying "well they didn't use to be that big" means nothing. What matters is modern popularity. Same reason Harley is in everything, she's huge now. Modern Lex isn't Joker, and he's never been as big except the 70s with no big Joker presence and the Superman film.

Compbros

I don't think Joker needs to be in everything, but Joker was always iconic and the go-to Batman villain. Cesar Romero's Joker in the 60's show was definitely iconic.

60s had Batman 66. 80s had Burton's Batman. 90s had TAS. 00s had The Dark Knight. Joker has been the biggest name in comic book villains for a very long time. The Suicide Squad version sucked and he still sold tickets.

Also what does 'these days' have to do with it? Saying "well they didn't use to be that big" means nothing. What matters is modern popularity. Same reason Harley is in everything, she's huge now. Modern Lex isn't Joker, and he's never been as big except the 70s with no big Joker presence and the Superman film.

Ugh, I ALWAYS forget the 60s Batman show.

"Go to villain" doesn't mean "iconic". Wonder Woman's would be Ares, I wouldn't say he's iconic at all.

Like I said, I always forget the 60s show. Even so, an appearance a decade doesn't mean mainstream icon status. If you were to walk down the street polling people asking if they knew Joker you wouldn't get the majority saying yes. Now I can't think of anyone who doesn't know the character.

Yes, modern popularity matters, but we're talking icon status so I'm taking it as a whole and, before the last couple decades or so, Joker didn't explode into the mainstream consciousness. It's only recently he's become "the most iconic villain", hence why the "these days". Modern Lex isn't Joker because they've bungled him in the mainstream so often that people don't care about the character, but he's still one of the most iconic villains in DC even with literally 60 years of fucking over the character in the mainstream (80s Lex was a travesty in the movies).

ZeroX03

Banned
Ugh, I ALWAYS forget the 60s Batman show.

"Go to villain" doesn't mean "iconic". Wonder Woman's would be Ares, I wouldn't say he's iconic at all.

Like I said, I always forget the 60s show. Even so, an appearance a decade doesn't mean mainstream icon status. If you were to walk down the street polling people asking if they knew Joker you wouldn't get the majority saying yes. Now I can't think of anyone who doesn't know the character.

Yes, modern popularity matters, but we're talking icon status so I'm taking it as a whole and, before the last couple decades or so, Joker didn't explode into the mainstream consciousness. It's only recently he's become "the most iconic villain", hence why the "these days". Modern Lex isn't Joker because they've bungled him in the mainstream so often that people don't care about the character, but he's still one of the most iconic villains in DC even with literally 60 years of fucking over the character in the mainstream (80s Lex was a travesty in the movies).

Huh? Most people I know who are 40-70 are well aware of the character from the 60s show. He was huge as early as back then, it was one of the most popular shows when it originally aired coupled with there being a lot fewer TV shows then plus the show was syndicated for decades. From 66 onward, he was the villain you'd get most if you asked. My parents and grandparents know Cesar Romero's Joker but they don't know Heath Ledger.

Even disregarding that, he was undoubtedly mainstream with Batman 89 and that was nearly 30 years ago. It's a big stretch to even try and call that modern.

Joker is huge and has been mainstream for decades at this point. You're splitting hairs over the 60s and 70s which you admittedly don't seem too familiar with.

There's no way you walk down the street asking who Joker is and don't get 90% of them to know who he is.

Nearly every generation alive today has had an iconic Joker.
So? Lex is iconic, he's out. Magneto is iconic, he's out of infinite (tho all xmen are). That's just an excuse, get him outta here.
Lex and Magneto missing from their respective fighting games is not a good thing

Compbros

Huh? Most people I know who are 40-70 are well aware of the character from the 60s show. He was huge as early as back then, it was one of the most popular shows when it originally aired coupled with there being a lot fewer TV shows then plus the show was syndicated for decades. From 66 onward, he was the villain you'd get most if you asked. My parents and grandparents know Cesar Romero's Joker but they don't know Heath Ledger.

Even disregarding that, he was undoubtedly mainstream with Batman 89 and that was nearly 30 years ago. It's a big stretch to even try and call that modern.

Joker is huge and has been mainstream for decades at this point. You're splitting hairs over the 60s and 70s which you admittedly don't seem too familiar with.

That's your experience, mine of my grandfather/grandmother are they don't know who he is. They don't know Lex or most villains either to be fair. I think the only ones my grandma knows is Spider-man villains. I couldn't tell you, the research I've done just has Superman dominating a lot of the mainstream Superhero stuff. Villains weren't beloved like they are now, and most certainly played second fiddle to their heroes. Batman himself wasn't "huge" back then in the mainstream, it wasn't until the 90s that he exploded. He had very little mainstream presence for decades. This is a post I had quickly wiki'd for Superman vs. Batman in terms of the popularity pre-90s.

Code:
Superman (Radio)

1940s: The Adventures of Superman – radio series starring Bud Collyer and Joan Alexander
1966: The Adventures of Superman – vinyl LP featuring Bob Holiday as Superman
1970s–1980s: various Superman-related vinyl albums from Peter Pan Records

Batman

Beginning in March 1945, Batman and Robin made regular appearances on the radio drama The Adventures of Superman on the Mutual Broadcasting System. Efforts were made to launch a Batman radio series in 1943 and again in 1950, but neither came to fruition.

In 1989, an original radio drama, Batman: The Lazarus Syndrome, was produced by Dirk Maggs for BBC Radio 4.

Superman (Animated Films)

1941–1943: Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios' Superman theatrical cartoon – series of 17 shorts initially starring Bud Collyer

Batman

Nothing

Superman (Live Action TV)

1952–1958: Adventures of Superman – starring George Reeves, Phyllis Coates (season 1) and Noel Neill (seasons 2–6)
1957: I Love Lucy, episode: "Lucy and Superman" featuring George Reeves as Superman
1961: The Adventures of Superboy – unaired series pilot starring Johnny Rockwell
1975: It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman – Televised production of the Broadway play starring David Wilson and Lesley Ann Warren
1988–1992: Superboy – series starring John Haymes Newton (1988–1989), Gerard Christopher (1989–1992), and Stacy Haiduk

Batman

1966–68: Batman starring Adam West and Burt Ward as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Dick Grayson/Robin
1972: "Equal pay" Public Service Announcement featuring Dick Gautier as Batman, Burt Ward as Robin, and Yvonne Craig as Batgirl
1979: Legends of the Superheroes by Hanna Barbera, featuring West and Ward as Batman and Robin

Superman (Live action film)

1948: Superman – a serial in 15 chapters starring Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill; recounts origin story, then fights the Spider Lady
1950: Atom Man vs. Superman – serial in 15 parts starring Kirk Alyn, Noel Neill and Lyle Talbot; Fights Atom Man, Lex Luthor
1951: Superman and the Mole Men – feature film, starring George Reeves and Phyllis Coates
1954: Stamp Day for Superman – short film featuring George Reeves and Noel Neill promoting Stamp Day for the U.S. Treasury
1978: Superman: The Movie – directed by Richard Donner and starring Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine (ranked at no. 26 on The AFI's Top 50 Heroes list)
1979: The Return of Superman (also known as "Turkish Superman") is an adaptation of Superman from Turkey[4]
1981: Superman II – directed by Richard Lester and starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, and Terence Stamp
1983: Superman III – directed by Richard Lester and starring Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, Annette O'Toole and Robert Vaughn
1984: Supergirl – spin-off directed by Jeannot Szwarc and starring Helen Slater, Faye Dunaway, and Marc McClure (repeating his role of Jimmy Olsen from the Reeve features)
1987: Superman IV: The Quest For Peace – directed by Sidney J. Furie and starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, Jon Cryer and Mariel Hemingway

Batman

1943: Batman, 15-chapter serial starring Lewis Wilson as Batman and Douglas Croft as Robin
1949: Batman and Robin, 15-chapter serial starring Robert Lowery as Batman and Johnny Duncan as Robin

1966: Batman: The Movie, feature film based on the contemporaneous Batman television series; starring Adam West as Batman, Burt Ward as Robin, Cesar Romero as the Joker, Burgess Meredith as the Penguin, Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, and Lee Meriweather as Catwoman

1989: Batman, directed by Tim Burton; starring Michael Keaton as Batman, Jack Nicholson as the Joker, and Kim Basinger as Vicki Vale

Superman (animated TV)

1966: The New Adventures of Superman

1988: Superman – TV series based on the "new" DC Comics Superman; produced by Ruby-Spears; starring Beau Weaver and Ginny McSwain. Animated by Toei Animation, Japan

Batman

1977–78: The New Adventures of Batman, produced by Filmation; while the H-B produced Super Friends ran on ABC, Adam West and Burt Ward (Robin) voiced their previously live-action roles for this CBS cartoon series; later rerun as part of The Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour (the Tarzan segments had also been previously seen as their own series)

Superman (Books)

1942: The Adventures of Superman by George Lowther
1971: Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex by Larry Niven
1978: Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin
1981: Miracle Monday by Elliot S! Maggin
1983: Superman III (novelization) by William Kotzwinkle

Batman

Nothing (As far as I see)

Superman (merchandising)

Sunnyland Refining Co., in 1981, marketed jars of creamy and crunchy peanut butter using the familiar image of Superman. In the 50th anniversary publication Fifty Who Made DC Great, it was noted that this was DC's first licensing deal for a brand of food.[11]
    A Superman pinball machine was produced by Atari in 1979.[12]
    Superman is part of the DC Deckbuilding Game by Cryptozoic Entertainment
 In fact Superman had become popular to the extent that in 1942, with sales of the character's three titles standing at a combined total of over 1.5 million, Time was reporting that "the Navy Department (had) ruled that Superman comic books should be included among essential supplies destined for the Marine garrison at Midway Islands."[170] The character was soon licensed by companies keen to cash in on this success through merchandising. The earliest paraphernalia appeared in 1939, a button proclaiming membership in the Supermen of America club. By 1940 the amount of merchandise available increased dramatically, with jigsaw puzzles, paper dolls, bubble gum and trading cards available, as well as wooden or metal figures. The popularity of such merchandise increased when Superman was licensed to appear in other media, and Les Daniels has written that this represents "the start of the process that media moguls of later decades would describe as 'synergy.'"

Can't find much for Batman on wiki in terms of his early merchandising pre-90s.

This is part why I doubt Joker was huge, pre-90s. If you say Lex was never huge (barring 70s) when he's been in vastly more mainstream media than Joker then I don't see how Joker could be this massively known character to a mainstream audience.

I never said he wasn't "in the mainstream", I said he didn't reach this "icon" status for mainstream audiences until recently.

I didn't say modern besides "these days" because "these days" he's at the peak of his popularity. You could very well say it started in the 80s but he didn't really start getting big until the 90s thanks to the success of the Batman movie and the massively popular animated series. The thing is the people that came before us grew up with the Joker being in a 60s show/movie and little else. We grew up with the Joker from Batman and TAS which were both very successful and critically acclaimed, kids now are growing up with the Joker in everything and having the best Superhero villain performance of all time in a movie. He's had a slow rise over the last 30 years that was pushed further in the 90s and shot up in the 2010s. Joker has been iconic for decades for comic readers but it wasn't until recently he became "the most iconic villain of all time" to mainstream audiences.

Compbros

Compbros will always try his hardest to downplay anything associated with Batman.

You know it!

Though I always try to back up my negativity of Batman. As a Superman fan I get blind hate ALL the time and it's irritating so I try not to be that guy when it comes to something I dislike, IE, Batman. The thing is I admit he's the most iconic villain, I admit he's the most popular villain, I admit Batman is the second most popular hero, so on. But I don't think Joker was this huge thing in the 60s/70s/80s. In face there was a good 23 or so years where the Joker wasn't in anything mainstream so to say he's always been this really popular or iconic figure in mainstream seems faulty to me.

patchday

wasnt the old Batman show typical for it's time and omitted all Afro American Actors? I know I darn for sure didnt watch that show as a kid lol and still won't (edit- oh hold up I see Eartha Kitt is actress on the show; Dang now I want to see these eps with my girl in it). And oh snap, Bruce Lee was on this show too?! Oh crap guys I forgot bout this stuff. [/end edit, I am scrub that dont know my history]

Also Heath Ledger's Joker was the bizness!

edit- Hm, I also liked Jack Nichoson Joker so screw it I guess I am a fan

Joker2.png

Look at this guy's face it fills me with love

[edit] Sorry I made so many edits to this post. Realized right after posting I actually have loved the various incarnations of Joker.

Khezu

My biggest issue is that Injustice Joker sucks ass.
He is poorly designed and purposely balanced to be shit.

None of the gameplay designers at NRS seem to give two shits about him.

So in that sense, he is an actual waste of a roster slot.

ZeroX03

Banned

You're either being purposely obtuse or refusing to educate yourself at this point. Batman 66 was a phenomenon and the Joker was the biggest villain. There would've been more people watching Batman than any show would get live numbers today, by 66 televisions were pretty damn common. Plus, mass syndication. Whether you want to admit he was iconic from 1966 or 1989 is pretty irrelevant either way, it's been a fucking long time.

Man Netherrealm spoiled the hell out of us with constant info streams and gameplay. I was thinking of buying Marvel VS Capcom Infinite and I can't find anything showing gameplay of certain characters it's almost like they don't exist.

Man Netherrealm spoiled the hell out of us with constant info streams and gameplay. I was thinking of buying Marvel VS Capcom Infinite and I can't find anything showing gameplay of certain characters it's almost like they don't exist.

It's funny how I always associated those in depth character gameplay breakdowns with Capcom, from MvC3 and USF4.

It's funny how I always associated those in depth character gameplay breakdowns with Capcom, from MvC3 and USF4.

Capcom sucks I dunno how they stay in business sometimes it seems like advertising your game by showing off a new character would be important but I guess not. I wanted to see how Jedah plays there's a grand total of one gameplay video of him for MVCI. So instead I'm watching Darkstalkers 3 gameplay and using my imagination.

Ryce

I missed this, but Cheetah is definitely Wonder Woman's "go to villain." She's been Wonder Woman's most persistent foe (be it Rich or Minerva) since the '40s. Joker, Luthor, and Cheetah are treated as the "Triumvirate of Terror" in various media.
Ares is certainly a major villain, but he's not Wonder Woman's Joker/Luthor analog. He didn't really become a big deal until 1987, and he's more of a Doomsday/Brainiac type of character.

I missed this, but Cheetah is definitely Wonder Woman's "go to villain." She's been Wonder Woman's most persistent foe (be it Rich or Minerva) since the '40s. Joker, Luthor, and Cheetah are treated as the "Triumvirate of Terror" in various media.

Ares is certainly a major villain, but he's not Wonder Woman's Joker/Luthor analog. He didn't really become a big deal until 1987, and he's more of a Doomsday/Brainiac type of character.
Yep. Hell, Giganta or random nazis has had more of an impact on Diana than Ares.

delSai

Cheetah is great to play, but a lame design (in general).

Thank goodness for Vixen.

I feel like im the only one who picks Cheetah over Vixen lol. Her hair's kinda boring tho, wish you could change it.

Premium Skins are likely staying even if gear is going away next time so as long as there's a claw user...

As long as the gameplay kinda stays the same i would take it. Cheetah is the most fun i've had with a fighting game character in a long ass time

vg260

So who's getting up crazy early to watch that exhibition match/reveal stream live?

I might, but they better not save it until the end.

Ryce

I'm just going to go to the official Injustice YouTube channel before bed and refresh the page first thing in the morning to avoid being spoiled.

vg260

I'm just going to go to the official Injustice YouTube channel before bed and refresh the page first thing in the morning to avoid being spoiled.

Yeah, I guess make sure it's not showing any recommended videos on the side which will inevitably be click bait reaction video spoilers.

Compbros

Okay, I wouldn't say Cheetah is iconic either. That was my only point, #1 villain for a series, even a long running one, doesn't equal iconic.

You're either being purposely obtuse or refusing to educate yourself at this point. Batman 66 was a phenomenon and the Joker was the biggest villain. There would've been more people watching Batman than any show would get live numbers today, by 66 televisions were pretty damn common. Plus, mass syndication. Whether you want to admit he was iconic from 1966 or 1989 is pretty irrelevant either way, it's been a fucking long time.

Actually, let's not clutter up this thread, I'll be dming my response.

vg260

Yeah, surely this Sunday the 27th.

Can't wait.

1st two as expected, but really happy it's Hellboy. Looks like they're filling in left-right-left-right (from top to bottom) on the select screen as they've been doing. With Hellboy now confirmed, I'm gonna guess Spawn is gonna be that last one on the bottom right.

edit: maybe still could be Rorschach. I'd say it's 50/50 at this point, but leaning to Spawn.

delSai

Hellboy is a nice surprise, didnt expect him. Probably the only chance to get him in a fighter.

Manta looks cool, Raiden is meh

Top Bottom