• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us |OT| With Super Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

JosiahB

Sorry for re-posting this, but I'd love to know what exactly I'm doing wrong. Just some pointers on where to start would be great!

So I picked this game up for the Wii U last Sunday at Walmart (price matched for the TRU deal). I've played a couple other fighting games before, but I never really put any length of time into them. So does anyone have any tips for someone that's, essentially, new to the fighting game genre?

I played through the story mode on medium difficulty, and I beat classic battle mode with Deathstroke on medium; but if I try battle mode on anything harder than medium I get destroyed (not early on, usually around the 8th-9th opponent). I've been practicing some combos that I found on this site for Deathstroke and Aquaman, but it hasn't helped me much; I usually don't even get a chance to pull off the combos.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

sephi22

Sorry for re-posting this, but I'd love to know what exactly I'm doing wrong. Just some pointers on where to start would be great!
Well, I'll just start off by saying that I don't play a lot of CPU matches, so my advice might not be the best.

The problem with a lot of fighting games' single player modes is that the CPU likes to read your inputs and perform the best possible action in that scenario, especially on higher difficulties. Now, the guys at NRS swear that they don't implement these kind of measures in their games, so let's assume they don't.

Now, the problem with fighting the CPU is that you cannot mix it up. There is no mind there to play mind games on. So a lot of setups, mixups, resets, etc. you see us post here won't work on the CPU. They are meant to work on human opponents.

So battles against the CPU usually come down to:
a. Cheese the match by exploiting your cheapest moves (Zangief Lariat - SF4 series)
b. Perform high damaging combos at every opportunity

Because you say that you don't get a chance to perform the combos, I'm going to assume that the CPU is rushing you down and not giving you any space. So here are a couple of things you can do on defense.

1. back + Heavy + Meter burn
Pressing the back direction along with these two buttons does an armored wall bounce move that uses 1 meter. If the CPU is just dogging you with abandon, just let one of these babies go, and if it hits, you get a free combo after the wallbounce. If you're playing Deathstroke use this opportunity to go full screen away and shoot bang the CPU

2. Clash
If you're not getting a chance to land combos, and are getting combo'ed yourself, you will notice that you end up with a lot of meter, more than the CPU. Better than dying with full meter, the next time you are combo'ed by the CPU, do a wager and get your health back. More important than the health is the fact that it pushes your opponent full screen away.

Also look up some youtube videos of people completing battles on the difficulty of your choice. That might give you some pointers.

shaowebb

Injustice confirmed for the 9th EVO game.

0l9kqve.gif

Injustice confirmed for the 9th EVO game.

This is amazing. This year's EVO will be insane!

Confession: I donated to the EVO breast cancer fund for Injustice even though I knew it wouldn't matter.

also donated to Skullgirls

and ST

More edits: HALLELUJAH!

They added an update to the 360 that seems to force the compatibility pack download now!

Does anyone have tips fighting against Hawkgirl? I fought this player 3 times and on the third round I acted like scrub and picked Superman to spam but he still got through to me. What's more scrubby is that I raged quit.

Xevren

Does anyone have tips fighting against Hawkgirl? I fought this player 3 times and on the third round I acted like scrub and picked Superman to spam but he still got through to me. What's more scrubby is that I raged quit.

Would be more helpful to say what she was doing that was giving you trouble (and who you are playing as). Though rage quitting is a stupid thing to do.

SuperBonk

What were they doing that you couldn't figure out? I feel like every Hawkgirl player plays differently, but that's mainly based on my very few mirror matches I've had where the other Hawkgirl had a completely different style than me.

Mace Charge can't be punished, at least not online, so don't even try. But a whiffed Mace Toss can be punished from like full screen. If she's staying in the air, find the right angles to get her out with heat vision or air grab. Her moves are very unsafe on whiff in the air. Other than that, just learn to block her relatively safe strings, just like any other character.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I'm confused about frame data. Is -33 block advantage good? I assume the lower the start up the faster it is but I really have no idea. Halp!

Doomsday is still a pain in my ass. Is his jumping cross body bullshit have a active hitbox the whole time? It's a guessing game against him. I need to face a few more to get used to him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm confused about frame data. Is -33 block advantage good? I assume the lower the start up the faster it is but I really have no idea. Halp!

Nah, negative is bad and means you're unsafe. Closer to 0, like -1, is much better if you are not + frames.

So if an opponent's move is a 6 frame starter and a move leaves you -7 or worse, it'll hit you. Sometimes it can be a bit misleading though, like if you take something like Lobo's chain and it's blocked at max distance it is much harder to punish.

Would be more helpful to say what she was doing that was giving you trouble (and who you are playing as). Though rage quitting is a stupid thing to do.

SuperBonk said:
What were they doing that you couldn't figure out? I feel like every Hawkgirl player plays differently, but that's mainly based on my very few mirror matches I've had where the other Hawkgirl had a completely different style than me.

Mace Charge can't be punished, at least not online, so don't even try. But a whiffed Mace Toss can be punished from like full screen. If she's staying in the air, find the right angles to get her out with heat vision or air grab. Her moves are very unsafe on whiff in the air. Other than that, just learn to block her relatively safe strings, just like any other character.

I know, I'm so disappointed in myself for rage quitting. I just cracked where I can't figure out what I'm doing or what I need to do to get in. I was brain dead and couldn't grasp very well. My problem with her are her dive kicks, her mace, there's a move that I don't know the name but she charges right at you and you could cancel it. Also, this player flies away to the nearest interactables and uses it against me. I do block but I still get pressured where I will press something, and she will punish me. I use Harley and Raven.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Nah, negative is bad and means you're unsafe. Closer to 0, like -1, is much better if you are not + frames.

So if an opponent's move is a 6 frame starter and a move leaves you -7 or worse, it'll hit you. Sometimes it can be a bit misleading though, like if you take something like Lobo's chain and it's blocked at max distance it is much harder to punish.
Ahh ok thanks!
Time to figure out the cat!

sephi22

For Shaowebb and any other Lobo users:

Can you guys give me a good follow up after:
jump in 2, st.2, 1 xx low shotgun (bounce with trait)

normally I can connect a standing 1, but I find after doing the whole string I can only connect b+1, if you have any other followups let me know.

Great combo/setup (with trait activated):
j.i.2, st. 2, 1 xxlow shotgun, b+1 xx czar grab MB, b.3, j.2 , 2, 1 xx db2

44% damage, with a dirty overhead->low string

SuperBonk

I know, I'm so disappointed in myself for rage quitting. I just cracked where I can't figure out what I'm doing or what I need to do to get in. I was brain dead and couldn't grasp very well. My problem with her are her dive kicks, her mace, there's a move that I don't know the name but she charges right at you and you could cancel it. Also, this player flies away to the nearest interactables and uses it against me. I do block but I still get pressured where I will press something, and she will punish me. I use Harley and Raven.

Her divekicks are overhead and not safe on block. Block them standing and punish. Like I said, she's super unsafe when she throws the mace, so that's an easy punish (I never throw mace on the ground unless I want to bait a jump for an up mace).

Her mace charge is safe so just block it and you'll be neutral. If she's pressuring you that badly, just meter burn your B3.

Interactables are a problem with every character so just learn how to exploit/avoid them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For Shaowebb and any other Lobo users:

Can you guys give me a good follow up after:
jump in 2, st.2, 1 xx low shotgun (bounce with trait)

normally I can connect a standing 1, but I find after doing the whole string I can only connect b+1, if you have any other followups let me know.

Great combo/setup (with trait activated):
j.i.2, st. 2, 1 xxlow shotgun, b+1 xx czar grab MB, b.3, j.2 , 2, 1 xx db2

44% damage, with a dirty overhead->low string

2, 1 connects again afterwards, so I've just been doing 2, 1, trait low shotgun, 2, 1, db2. I am godawful at cancelling into his command grab for some reason, don't get the timing.

sephi22

2, 1 connects again afterwards, so I've just been doing 2, 1, 3 after the shotgun bounce.
You're right.

Both 2,1 and st. 3 connect.

New combos:
j.2, 2,1 xx Low Shotgun (bounce):

Enders:
2,1,3 - 30%
2,1 xx db.2 - 33% (37% with MB)
2,1 xx bf.3 - 31% (35% with MB)
3 xx db.1 - 31%

DRE Fei

Lobo is sick with 1 meter:

j2, b2u1, 3~grab mb, b3, j2, 21~db3 - 51% (with trait 54%)

He gets completely destroyed by Raven though. Once she's full screen it's really hard to get in. I was having major problems today.

sephi22

Lobo is sick with 1 meter:

j2, b2u1, 3~grab mb, b3, j2, 21~db3 - 51% (with trait 54%)
Replace db3 with db2 and your damage will go up.
I'm also having trouble with Cyborg.
Fought a Cyborg today who had the iaFireballs down. I wanted to kill myself.

DRE Fei

Replace db3 with db2 and your damage will go up.
I'm also having trouble with Cyborg.
Fought a Cyborg today who had the iaFireballs down. I wanted to kill myself.

db2 is very hard to connect in that combo for me because they're low to the ground, so I just end with db3.

Reset combo:
b2u1, 113~grab mb, 21~hcf3

hcf3 at the end creates a hard knockdown and puts you in perfect range for wakeup command grab reset. This plus the hard knockdown party crasher crossup resets makes him really good for wakeups, but he gets zoned out pretty bad from full screen.

Her divekicks are overhead and not safe on block. Block them standing and punish. Like I said, she's super unsafe when she throws the mace, so that's an easy punish (I never throw mace on the ground unless I want to bait a jump for an up mace).

Her mace charge is safe so just block it and you'll be neutral. If she's pressuring you that badly, just meter burn your B3.

Interactables are a problem with every character so just learn how to exploit/avoid them.

Thanks for the info. I really need it.

He gets completely destroyed by Raven though. Once she's full screen it's really hard to get in. I was having major problems today.

I was actually having problems as well. Then I remembered he has a quick dash, so I dashed everytime I could and if I was close enough i'd Low Space Hook her. :p

El Sloth

Banned
-33 is pretty horrible on block. Expect to get punished by anything that the other guy has that has 32 frames of start up or less.

Yeah, the lower the number the faster it comes out.

I'm feeling lazy, so here's a quick explanation on how to read frame data shamelessly stolen from Event Hubs (Note that they explain it in terms of Street Fighter. Just substitute all instances of Street Fighter for Injustice) :
Event Hubs said:
Frames Per Second

Street Fighter 4 runs at 60 frames of animation per second. The frame data for the characters shows how many frames of animation their moves take.

For example, Ryu's Standing Hard Punch when done up close has a total of 38 frames of animation, which means it takes 38 of the 60 frames per second to execute the entire move.

This information is valuable because you can compare all of a character's moves to see which does the most damage, has the quickest recovery, etc.
How to read frame data

Startup: The number here represents how many frames of animation take place before this move is capable of hitting your opponent.

Active Frames. The number here shows how many frames of animation a move is capable of hitting for.

Recovery Frames. This number shows how long it takes you to finish off the animation for a move before you can input another command.

Total: Total number of frames before the move's animation is complete and you can do another action.

Frame Advantage after Blocking. A number with a + before it means how many frames faster than your opponent you will recover if they block your attack. Negative numbers mean how much faster your opponent will recover than you after blocking it.

Frame Advantage after Hit. A number with a + before it means how many frames faster than your opponent you will recover after successfully hitting them with this attack. Negative numbers mean how much faster your opponent will recover than you after being hit.

Block stun: If your attack is blocked, this number shows how many frames of animation your opponent will be stunned for.

Hit stun: If your attack lands, this number shows how many frames of animation your opponent will be stunned for.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Anyone have tips for being able to do back forward motions after blocking? I feel I can punish moves but can't get it because I'm holding back. Do you have to go back to neutral and then do back forward? Cuz holy fuck that's hard to do.

El Sloth

Banned
Anyone have tips for being able to do back forward motions after blocking? I feel I can punish moves but can't get it because I'm holding back. Do you have to go back to neutral and then do back forward? Cuz holy fuck that's hard to do.
You could try using Alternate Controls and doing half circle motions instead. Those would probably work.

Also, are you sure you're just not trying to do the moves too soon?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
You could try using Alternate Controls and doing half circle motions instead. Those would probably work.

Also, are you sure you're just not trying to do the moves too soon?
Not really sure at all, I feel like I can punish as soon as the combo is blocked but I have to do a 1 or a 2 and then back forward special. I wish I could hold back to block and just hit forward+1 to make the special come out. I guess I'll just keep practicing punishing shit. I swear I lose games I shouldn't because I know what they are going to do and I block it, but after that I can't do shit. Ugh.

El Sloth

Banned
Not really sure at all, I feel like I can punish as soon as the combo is blocked but I have to do a 1 or a 2 and then back forward special. I wish I could hold back to block and just hit forward+1 to make the special come out. I guess I'll just keep practicing punishing shit. I swear I lose games I shouldn't because I know what they are going to do and I block it, but after that I can't do shit. Ugh.
Well, you can set up a dummy in practice mode to keep doing whatever move(s) it is that you feel like you can punish and practice that way. Make sure you also set the thing to block everything otherwise you can't be sure what you're doing is a legit punish.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Well, you can set up a dummy in practice mode to keep doing whatever move(s) it is that you feel like you can punish and practice that way. Make sure you also set the thing to block everything otherwise you can't be sure what you're doing is a legit punish.
Yea, I'm gonna have to do that for sure. Thanks for the frame info!

El Sloth

Banned
no prob

Edit: You could also just go into the move list for the other character and check the frama data out on the move that is giving you problems. Check it's frame advantage (or lack thereof) on block and then just find a move of yours that starts up faster than he recovers. Of course, sometimes the attack will push you back too far for some moves to hit so you may need to walk forward or dash first. Or just use something with more range.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Injustice Monsters:
Here's a match breakdown for yall (if you didnt watch me do it on my stream last time) - Grand Finals match analysis between Tom Brady and Reo from Civil War 5. Even though this happened a few weeks ago, this is the first Injustice tourney and both players will be at ECT

1 hour long. If you watched my previous match analysis videos from other SF games, then you know the deal already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z-JzAFRhyQ

FlyFaster

Just stopping by to say congratulations on the whole EVO thing. I don't give a shit if it was money hatted or whatever. Injustice deserves the spot more then skull girls.

Anybody here play Ares and has some tips? Just starting to pick him up and so far I'm liking him. Not discouraged at all by the reset nerf that's coming soon either (I feel he doesn't need it).

Just stopping by to say congratulations on the whole EVO thing. I don't give a shit if it was money hatted or whatever. Injustice deserves the spot more then skull girls.

Please let's not start this stupid community vs community thing here. A person is allowed to like and support both games at once.

Top Bottom