• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us |OT| With Super Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aren't you the guy who was crying about Injustice making it to Evo over Skullgirls? You clearly don't like the game (I doubt you've played it, either), so I don't know what you're doing in the OT, but whatever.

First of all, no. I don't think Skullgirls should be in Evo. My point in the other thread was that it's shady that this game snuck in after a fundraiser was held for the alleged final slot. I stand by that, but what's done is done.

But regardless, I own the game. I have a right to be in here. Specifically, I'm looking for reasons to like the game.

DR2K

Banned
I bet you do.

Actually an opinion is not a fact. It's is an option. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can't really tell you what is ugly or what isn't but I happen to think that all things considered, the game looks really good and they clearly payed most attention to all the things that actually matter. Like gameplay rather than the "attractiveness" of their female cast.

Eh, they really didn't pay much attention to the gameplay or the netcode.

I spent 8 times trying to do Catwoman's HCF 2, it just doesn't make any sense how this game reads inputs at times.

There's no beauty to behold, just beasts.

Khezu

Another good (albeit very odd and out of place) character to add: Dex-Starr. I don't know how NRS could pull him off, but that would be a crazy piece of fan service. Just add him to a compatibility pack as a freebie.

Well Bane does need more things to punch in the face.
ibydALELzFvROp.gif

Kizer

Nice jab, but I actually love the Warrior and Dwarf designs just as much as the Sorceress and Amazon.

Those two things you listed above aren't mutually exclusive, and it's silly to assume that it's an either-or situation when plenty of other fighting games manage to do it just fine. Wonder Woman is just one of many many complaints about ugly things in the game I could talk about. That's just what people are talking about right now.

The Dwarf and the Warrior are just as ridiculous looking as the Sorceress and the Amazon, make no mistake.

Perhaps they aren't, but given what was given to us upon release, I'd rather have this than the other way around, is my point. During gameplay I find that the character models do not look bad. As someone else mentioned, it's usually if you close in on them for whatever reason and besides that, I don't really see an issue with characters like Killer Frost or Catwoman, for example. The "main offender" as it were is wonder woman who honestly, should be the most "manly" given her background.

I spent 8 times trying to do Catwoman's HCF 2, it just doesn't make any sense how this game reads inputs at times.

Do you have negative edge on or off? That might be the cause of your issue. I rarely have problems with the netcode myself unless I end up playing someone out of country or who has a bad internet connection anyway so I am not sure what to tell you on that.

DR2K

Banned
The Dwarf and the Warrior are just as ridiculous looking as the Sorceress and the Amazon, make no mistake.

Perhaps they aren't, but given what was given to us upon release, I'd rather have this than the other way around, is my point. During gameplay I find that the character models do not look bad. As someone else mentioned, it's usually if you close in on them for whatever reason and besides that, I don't really see an issue with characters like Killer Frost or Catwoman, for example. The "main offender" as it were is wonder woman who honestly, should be the most "manly" given her background.

Do you have negative edge on or off? That might be the cause of your issue. I rarely have problems with the netcode myself unless I end up playing someone out of country or who has a bad internet connection anyway so I am not sure what to tell you on that.

Off. Not even sure why there's an option to have it on.

Khezu

They really need to ditch the BF inputs, everything really should be DB or DF.
I guess keep the DBF inputs for command grabs. Some hate them, but I like them.

Ryce

Yeah, I am, actually.

I don't like the game. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that I hate it. But I'm looking for redeeming qualities and watching videos because I already own it.
Why buy the game to begin with? You could've at least tried the demo out. I wasn't expecting to like this game as much as I do (I loathe everything about Mortal Kombat), but the gameplay really clicked with me and I like the uniqueness of the characters. To each his own, I guess.

Kizer

Yeah, I am, actually.

I don't like the game. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that I hate it. But I'm looking for redeeming qualities and watching videos because I already own it.
If you hate it, get rid of it. Find someone to sell it to who will actually appreciate it. If you aren't having fun with it now, you probably won't later. I am sure there are other games out there that you would enjoy. Try Persona 4 Arena or Arcana Hearts. I think Melty Blood is pretty good.

Off. Not even sure why there's an option to have it on.

And you say you have them in half circle motions? Try it with the MK controls of back/forward. I find them to work better, in any case.

Khezu

Yeah, I am, actually.

To be brutally honest, the only redeeming quality of the game is the gameplay, and that it is a fun video game.

If you don't enjoy it, and don't find it fun, I'm not really sure what you could possibly be looking for.

You should probably cut your losses and get your money back.

Daingurse

Poor Bane, he wouldn't stand a chance.

When me and my brother we're playing some versus, I was I think Sinestro or some other canon heavy hitter, and my brother was deciding who to pick. After he picked Bane, he jokingly said, "Man, I picked probably the weakest motherfucker!"

Dat Kryptonian nano-tech does wonders.

Kizer

To be brutally honest, the only redeeming quality of the game is the gameplay, and that it is a fun video game.

If you don't enjoy it, and don't find it fun, I'm not really sure what you could possibly be looking for.

You should probably cut your losses and get your money back.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I found the score to be powerful and fitting. I am a big fan of the music.

fallingdove

For a game that is graphically beautiful, it is especially jarring when looking at some of the characters' face modelling.

This continues to be my biggest complaint with NRS games. Their Modeling, Animation and to some extent their Character design, can be atrocious. I find myself avoiding certain characters and moves because these elements can be so ugly. I didn't play as batman before I picked up the Arkham City costume pack because the NRS Batman model and its alternate are so poor and I refuse to do Superman's flying ground smash without meter burn cause the animation is so crappy.

I will say that NRS are getting better. MK9 made my eyes bleed with some of the characters and animations, especially with the women. Inustice is much better in the graphics department.

DR2K

Banned
If you hate it, get rid of it. Find someone to sell it to who will actually appreciate it. If you aren't having fun with it now, you probably won't later. I am sure there are other games out there that you would enjoy. Try Persona 4 Arena or Arcana Hearts. I think Melty Blood is pretty good.

And you say you have them in half circle motions? Try it with the MK controls of back/forward. I find them to work better, in any case.

MK controls are fuck up on wake up, you hold down then in a direction and you get a special on wake up. Very bad.

tim1138

When me and my brother we're playing some versus I was I think Sinestro or some over canon heavy hitter, and my brother was deciding who to pick. After he picked Bane, he jokingly said, "Man, I picked probably the weakest motherfucker!"

Dat Kryptonian nano-tech does wonders.

Until you get rage plasma vomited into your face. Dex-Starr's advantage would be that he'd be a lot harder to catch than a humanoid.

Kizer

MK controls are fuck up on wake up, you hold down then in a direction and you get a special on wake up. Very bad.

Don't hold down the buttons since there is no reason to do that? I dunno man, I am trying to help you out here.

fallingdove

Yeah, I am, actually.

The best thing about this game for me has been its small barrier to entry. Not for myself but for my non-fighting game friends. I love local matches and with some of the more technical fighters like SF and Aksys games that I enjoy playing, most of my friends refuse to play against me after a week of me familiarizing myself with the game. With injustice though, they know the DC characters, the moves and combos are easy enough, and they can always use level interactions.

This is by no means a game I will be playing as long as I have SF3 and IV but it is a decent bridge between really great fighters for a fighting game lover.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why buy the game to begin with? You could've at least tried the demo out. I wasn't expecting to like this game as much as I do (I loathe everything about Mortal Kombat), but the gameplay really clicked with me and I like the uniqueness of the characters. To each his own, I guess.

I didn't like the demo, but I find demos often poorly represent the full game. I bought the game on sale for $35. It was on the cheap, and I'm hardcore into fighting games.

There are other games I enjoy. I own practically every fighting game released in the past 10 years. I play P4A, Blazblue, and Skullgirls. I play SSFIV, UMvC3, SFxT, MK, KOFXIII, and all the digital re-releases. I play a lot of fighting games, some I like and some I don't necessarily care for. I'll try this longer before giving up on it.

What the fuck redeeming qualities are to be had if you already stated you hate the game ahahaha

You've never had a game you dislike "click" for you before?

The best thing about this game for me has been its small barrier to entry. Not for myself but for my non-fighting game friends. I love local matches and with some of the more technical fighters like SF and Aksys games that I enjoy playing, most of my friends refuse to play against me after a week of me familiarizing myself with the game. With injustice though, they know the DC characters, the moves and combos are easy enough, and they can always use level interactions.

This is by no means a game I will be playing as long as I have SF3 and IV but it is a decent bridge between really great fighters for a fighting game lover.

Maybe I can try it out on some of my comicbook fan friends to see if they bite.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Don't hold down the buttons since there is no reason to do that? I dunno man, I am trying to help you out here.
He's not talking about negative edge.

You can get specials out accidentally by doing down down-back. Which blows if you're used to blocking with down back.

Daingurse

Until you get rage plasma vomited into your face. Dex-Starr's advantage would be that he'd be a lot harder to catch than a humanoid.

Won't even lie man, never heard of Dex-Starr. Just looked him up and wow. Put him in, fuck it. It would piss off anyone wanting Atrocitus and I don't care.

And man Bane would get straight up murdered haha, didn't know we were dealing with a Red Lantern.

Edit: I appreciate Green Latern alot more in general, after reading Sinestro Corps and Green Lantern the Animated Series(RIP). That's why Sinestro needs to get buffed if he end's up low tier. Sinestro is too much of a damn threat for low tier, don't fuck with me NRS.

Khezu

You've never had a game you dislike "click" for you before?

How much time have you put into it?

I will admit that it does take some time for this game to click, even for MK fans like myself, the game is kinda really weird and not much like anything else.

Usually it takes like 3-5 hours for it to start feeling natural, but if you have put in like 10 or so hours into the game and still not feeling it, I won't say its not going to click eventually, but ya...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I will admit that it does take some time for this game to click, even for MK fans like myself, the game is kinda really weird and not much like anything else.

Usually it takes like 3-5 hours for it to start feeling natural, but if you have put in like 10 or so hours into the game and still not feeling it, I won't say its not going to click eventually, but ya...

Only two hours or so, so I'm still gauging. I've watched a lot of streams to see what high level play is like, fully recognizing that the gameplay is still in its infancy so soon after release.

J-Tier

It's weird, I got into it after about 20 mins and I was a Marvel player. I guess it's just different for different people. The only habit I still have is wanting to airblock on reaction.

Khezu

Only two hours or so, so I'm still gauging. I've watched a lot of streams to see what high level play is like, fully recognizing that the gameplay is still in its infancy so soon after release.

I think this game might end up one of those games that are more fun to play yourself then to watch, especially right now when people still aren't used to the movement and getting around projectiles. NRS looney toons zoning is not the most interesting thing to watch.

It's actually really shocking to me right now how popular Injustice stream seem to be, even with the new game smell, MK was never this popular, and I think MK is way more fun to watch, but maybe I'm crazy.

fallingdove

It took me at least 5 hours to start getting into it. I am a rush down type player in other series but am a huge fan of Superman comics so naturally I wanted to shoehorn a rush down gameplay style with him. Things started to click when I began to explore the rest of the cast - I currently play with Catwoman, Killer Frost, Batman and ocassionally Nightwing(though I don't like his stance change play style)

KevinCow

Banned
why would you play through a game you hate on every single difficulty level

what is wrong with you

you know games are supposed to be entertainment, right

tim1138

Won't even lie man, never heard of Dex-Starr. Just looked him up and wow. Put him in, fuck it. It would piss off anyone wanting Atrocitus and I don't care.

And man Bane would get straight up murdered haha, didn't know we were dealing with a Red Lantern.

Edit: I appreciate Green Latern alot more in general, after reading Sinestro Corps and Green Lantern the Animated Series(RIP). That's why Sinestro needs to get buffed if he end's up low tier. Sinestro is too much of a damn threat for low tier, don't fuck with me NRS.

The problem with the Lanterns is if they made them full power, no one could even touch them, much less beat them (except for maybe the Flash, dude is so OP it's ridiculous). Each one of them carries the most powerful weapon in the universe. And that's not even taking Kyle Rayner into consideration, as one of only two beings to ever master the entire spectrum, Kyle would be a one man army.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
why would you play through a game you hate on every single difficulty level

what is wrong with you

you know games are supposed to be entertainment, right

Because I wanted to know if there was something on the higher difficulty level that was redeeming. There wasn't.

It wasn't very hard and it didn't take that long.

I did the same thing with Ninja Gaiden II, except in that case, the game actually did click and get better because I could see the redeeming qualities despite the egregious flaws.

It's weird, I got into it after about 20 mins and I was a Marvel player. I guess it's just different for different people. The only habit I still have is wanting to airblock on reaction.

Well, to clarify, I'm predominantly a Marvel player as well and it always takes time to adjust to movement in any fighting game. There are transferred skills, but fundamental movement is incredibly important and one of the last things that you actually learn in a fighting game. It's why I feel like fighting games can take a while to click sometimes.

I think this game might end up one of those games that are more fun to play yourself then to watch, especially right now when people still aren't used to the movement and getting around projectiles. NRS looney toons zoning is not the most interesting thing to watch.

It's actually really shocking to me right now how popular Injustice stream seem to be, even with the new game smell, MK was never this popular, and I think MK is way more fun to watch, but maybe I'm crazy.

I think MK was pretty popular when it came out too. I don't mind watching zoning. I actually enjoy it.

It took me at least 5 hours to start getting into it. I am a rush down type player in other series but am a huge fan of Superman comics so naturally I wanted to shoehorn a rush down gameplay style with him. Things started to click when I began to explore the rest of the cast - I currently play with Catwoman, Killer Frost, Batman and ocassionally Nightwing(though I don't like his stance change play style)

Maybe I just need to experiment with more of the cast, but I have a tendency to do what you did. Choose characters based on predisposition or aesthetics and then make them work within my preferred style. It works better in some cases than others.

GrayFoxPL

I played couple hours with only one goal - to fight against Lobo.

Guess how many times I met him?

Once. For hours of playing online.

Guess not many people in Europe bought him. I'm not sure if he even has any popularity here.

Zephyrus

Banned
I played couple hours with only one goal - to fight against Lobo.

Guess how many times I met him?

Once. For hours of playing online.

Guess not many people in Europe bought him. I'm not sure if he even has any popularity here.

I have him and I main him.

Can't play right now because I'm not at home.

Also can anyone post the current results from the poll?

Want to see who's leading

Ryce

Nobody knows who's in the lead. The results are private.

I figure I'll ask this again...

https://www.injustice.com/en/stats

Click on the "General" tab, and look for:

Total Number of Hero Victories
Total Number of Villain Victories

Can any of you check and see what a Lobo victory counts towards? I'd try it myself if I wasn't so awful at the game. My OCD is driving me insane and I'd really like to know what NRS considers Lobo for the sake of future DLC selections. If they consider him a villain, then we might get three heroes in the potential second DLC wave.

Why he could be considered a villain:
- The official history video uploaded to the Injustice YouTube channel refers to him as a villain.
- He's a genocidal slaver.
- He
murders all of the heroes
in his arcade ending.

Why he could be considered a hero:
- He's on the heroes side of the character selection screen, but we don't know if DLC follows the same convention.

Jagxyz

Nobody knows who's in the lead. The results are private.

I figure I'll ask this again...

https://www.injustice.com/en/stats

Click on the "General" tab, and look for:

Total Number of Hero Victories
Total Number of Villain Victories

Can any of you check and see what a Lobo victory counts towards? I'd try it myself if I wasn't so awful at the game. My OCD is driving me insane and I'd really like to know what NRS considers Lobo for the sake of future DLC selections. If they consider him a villain, then we might get three heroes in the potential second DLC wave.

Why he could be considered a villain:
- The official history video uploaded to the Injustice YouTube channel refers to him as a villain.
- He's a genocidal slaver.
- He murders all of the heroes in his arcade ending.

Why he could be considered a hero:
- He's on the heroes side of the character selection screen, but we don't know if DLC follows the same convention.

I'll try this for you right now.

Ryce

Awesome, thanks. I fear he might not count towards either since he doesn't show up in the all heroes or all villains arcade ladders (a programming oversight).

Top Bottom