• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us |OT| With Super Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

shaowebb

Apparently for the second month in a row Injustice is the top selling game. Props to Nether Realm Studios on showing up with that momentum. Game is constantly in people's faces and thats pretty amazing for a fighter these days.

Also Boon is teasing news tomorrow. Please lord let it be another season pass.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/347095350684819456

RT @GabrielRuiz63 @noobde give us something ed D: I check twitter everyday for injustice news EB: I'm guessing tomorrow.

vg260

I want the skins too. They don't even look like the source material so I don't get the hate. I want all the content so I would have a nice collection of costumes to play with.

Whatever.

I didn't see any language indicating that these are exclusively for the Japanese version, only that they'll be available with the game from the start there. I'm sure we'll be able to buy them later. That's leaving money on the table.

J-Tier

I didn't see any language indicating that these are exclusively for the Japanese version, only that they'll be available with the game from the start there. I'm sure we'll be able to buy them later. That's leaving money on the table.

I see, the initial post was misleading then.

vg260

So I started playing online the other night, and as expected, I'm pretty bad. However, what's the deal with Scorpion? How is it a good idea to give him an unblockable tracking attack and a teleport that's impossible to block on reaction. It's like a free 50/50 from anywhere. Am I missing something, because that seems completely broken and makes me hate this dumb choice even more. Unblockable tracking attacks in a fighter are a completely stupid idea. I know there was a teleport fix recently, but was that just a hotfix, or a change in the actual patch? I know people will say learn how to play, but the design itself seems flawed, even more so for online where the vast majority of players play. I hope he gets nerfed to a reasonable level.

Kizer

So I started playing online the other night, and as expected, I'm pretty bad. However, what's the deal with Scorpion? How is it a good idea to give him an unblockable tracking attack and a teleport that's impossible to block on reaction. It's like a free 50/50 from anywhere. Am I missing something, because that seems completely broken and makes me hate this dumb choice even more. Unblockable tracking attacks in a fighter are a completely stupid idea. I know there was a teleport fix recently, but was that just a hotfix, or a change in the actual patch? I know people will say learn how to play, but the design itself seems flawed, even more so for online where the vast majority of players play. I hope he gets nerfed to a reasonable level.

You mean hellfire? Watch his hands. The move is rather slow and can be easily punished.

Just starting playing this last night and while I like it, I find all the various moves confusing as hell.

I really wish they would've streamlined it. But, keep in mind I'm rather noobie when it comes to fighters. But I had no problem playing MK9.

Khezu

ESCWSt4.jpg
Hmm, I have always had the Arkham costumes, I didn't buy them, and I bought the game from Gamestop, weird.

Anyway, I wonder if one of the next skin packs is going to be Arkham pack 2, that was rumored awhile ago, someone found data for them on the Ios game, after it updated.
Nurse Harley, AC Nightwing, and AC Grundy.

Khezu

First I've heard of that. Source?

It came from /co/ awhile ago, the day the iphone game updated with the Red Son skins, someone said they peaked around the files and saw references to those costumes, and no one ever really brought it up again.

I don't know, seems like an obvious choice for costumes though.

Nori Chan

Hmm, I have always had the Arkham costumes, I didn't buy them, and I bought the game from Gamestop, weird.

Anyway, I wonder if one of the next skin packs is going to be Arkham pack 2, that was rumored awhile ago, someone found data for them on the Ios game, after it updated.
Nurse Harley, AC Nightwing, and AC Grundy.

AC Bane?

I mean, I'm okay with those doe

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Harley is awesome! Only thing terribad is her trait. I never use the damn thing. That could get buffed.

She sucks against heavy zoners though.

She has good damage combos with minimal meter usage and good ability to punish interactable usage because of the range on her armored F3. Those things are like the only things good about her.

Her pressure sucks. Her overhead is 27 frames and her frame traps have big holes in them. Before her 2D3 nerf I would've said her pressure was above average though. She does have decent fuzzy setups but converting into a full combo only works on about 1/3rd of the cast.

Her zoning sucks because she has nothing that rewards her enough for successful zoning, though I do think her zoning is better than I thought it was at first.

Midrange she's OK because of B22, B/F3, and tantrum stance, but B3 has weird hitbox issues and tantrum stance is pretty unsafe unless you can predict how they will react on block and the risk/reward doesn't really work out for her after a blocked tantrum stance anyway. TS isn't great compared to midrange tools other characters have like GL's B1. B22 is really, really good, but Harley has some mobility issues so staying in range to play stutter games with it is kinda hard, and it's hard to do that at all against characters that have low pokes that have a lot of range, like Doomsday, Hawkgirl, etc.

Harley has options in a lot of situations but most of them aren't really that good. Jack of all trades, master of none. But unlike a character like Ryu in Street Fighter, she's not good enough at anything to be much of a threat.

Moaradin

I think she has very good options when she's close. Lots of high/lows, a lot of mixup options, high damage with little to no meter, etc.

The thing that always blows me up is the heavy zoners. What the hell can I do against a Deathstroke that spams guns full screen? The only thing she has to get in is her silly slide, but that's super punishable. She can punish a lot of fireballs with her guns, but they do so little damage that you'll take more damage from chip. I don't even know how to deal with Hawkgirls that just sit full screen in the air throwing her mace. She has no options at that range.

Not all zoners give me that much trouble. I can find holes in Superman's or Cyborg's fireball game. It's just a lot of work.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think she has very good options when she's close. Lots of high/lows, a lot of mixup options, high damage with little to no meter, etc.

The thing that always blows me up is the heavy zoners. What the hell can I do against a Deathstroke that spams guns full screen? The only thing she has to get in is her silly slide, but that's super punishable. She can punish a lot of fireballs with her guns, but they do no damage or give you any opportunities to get in.

I don't even know how to deal with Hawkgirls that just sit full screen in the air throwing her mace. She has no options at that range.

She has 3 overheads. F3, which is 30+ frames and best used at mid range, F2, which is 27 frames and super easy to react to even online, and F13, which will get you blocked/blown up every time against people that know about it.

Moaradin

She has 3 overheads. F3, which is 30+ frames and best used at mid range, F2, which is 27 frames and super easy to react to even online, and F13, which will get you blocked/blown up every time against people that know about it.

F2 is really good since you can cancel it into stance. That shit leads to full combos if you hit it, and you can roll out of it if they block. Most people online don't react to it. I hardly ever use F3 and F13. Definitely need to use F3 more.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
F2 is really good since you can cancel it into stance. That shit leads to full combos if you hit it, and you can roll out of it if they block. Most people online don't react to it. I hardly ever use F3 and F13. Definitely need to use F3 more.

F2 into tantrum stance sucks because the F2 is so slow you can react to it every time. Defense against Harley is: block low, react to the overhead. Rolling back after TS on block usually isn't safe enough. F23 into command dash will be better in the long run because you get frame advantage and get to maintain pressure, and if the F2 hits you can still confirm into a (smaller) combo.

And people online are 90% garbage, 5% good but they don't know how to fight Harley, and 5% good AND they know how to fight Harley. My win rate online is like 80% but it's not because I'm that good or the character is good.

Moaradin

F2 into tantrum stance sucks because the F2 is so slow you can react to it every time. Defense against Harley is: block low, react to the overhead. Rolling back after TS on block usually isn't safe enough. F23 into command dash will be better in the long run because you get frame advantage and get to maintain pressure, and if the F2 hits you can still confirm into a (smaller) combo.

And people online are 90% garbage, 5% good but they don't know how to fight Harley, and 5% good AND they know how to fight Harley. My win rate online is like 80% but it's not because I'm that good or the character is good.

I mostly use F2 into stance when they are down. It's entirely based on if they wake up or not, but it's online, most people don't. B22 is obviously my go to move. Very good at punishing close range and leads to full combos.

I think the character is "good" when you are playing a very aggressive game, but unfortunately half the cast can zone and do it much better than her.

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death in this thread but can someone please breakdown the concept of "tiers" in fighting games - and more importantly divide the current roster of Injustice into the agreed upon "tiers"

P.s. I have a basic understanding of "tiers" in that they represent which characters are best to use, etc.

SUPARSTARX

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death in this thread but can someone please breakdown the concept of "tiers" in fighting games - and more importantly divide the current roster of Injustice into the agreed upon "tiers"

P.s. I have a basic understanding of "tiers" in that they represent which characters are best to use, etc.

They're just opinionated measurements of character capabilities on strengths and weaknesses and then people line them up on a rubric and list things from top to bottom.

Here's a sample from Street Fighter from a while back
znXAAzN.png

You'll see lotsa numbers, color coding and values on the end. They're match up oriented ratio values, 5-5 would be an even match, 4-6 would be a slight disadvantage or 3-7 would be a bad match up and something like a 1-9 or 0-10 would be near unwinnable match ups. We're assuming the character you're talking about or looking for in question would be represented by the first number in general. The higher the better, the lower the worse it gets.

And here's the kicker, how people quantify and justify advantage or disadvantage values. One person can be like, "Well I can't pressure Superman, his F23 is really good and I cannot escape it. My match up is 3-7 against him!" You'll have someone else disagree with it and say there's a method against Superman shenanigans and it's 5-5 or what have you. It's overly complicated and I don't really see people breaking down Injustice match ups because it's kind of a varied and difficult thing to quantify. I just see people throw numbers names and grades around on TYM.

Because I feel NRS are retards for designing interactive objects to be so good for straight up damage on resets and zoning, it totally blurs out a lot of match up analysis. Random stages can sway your favorable match ups into evened and possibly disadvantage. For example, I just Bane, and I feel he has a lot of even match ups. But certain stage picks combined with people that will run away and cower to stage objects means down the line I'm almost guaranteed to lose 20-40% HP total due to objects hitting me one way or another. So that is basically like a straight up random handicap placed upon me.

I hope I didn't go too off topic on the last bit. Oh btw, I don't like stage interactives. lol

Khezu

Just basically how good characters are, that's it, sometimes it can be based on pure matchups though.

There is no official tier list for the game, people just keep making their own. If I had to make a simple one it would be something like this.

A tier
Nightwing, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Scorpion, Batgirl, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Killer Frost, Black Adam

B tier
Ares, Cyborg, Grundy, Deathstroke, Flash, Doomsday, Catwoman, Hawkgirl(maybe?), Shazam, Green Arrow, Sinestro, Raven

C tier
Harley, Joker, Bane, Lobo, Lex Luthor

Super basic, great characters, alright characters, bad characters.

They're just opinionated measurements of character capabilities on strengths and weaknesses and then people line them up on a rubric and list things from top to bottom.

Here's a sample from Street Fighter from a while back
znXAAzN.png

You'll see lotsa numbers, color coding and values on the end. They're match up oriented ratio values, 5-5 would be an even match, 4-6 would be a slight disadvantage or 3-7 would be a bad match up and something like a 1-9 or 0-10 would be near unwinnable match ups. We're assuming the character you're talking about or looking for in question would be represented by the first number in general. The higher the better, the lower the worse it gets.

And here's the kicker, how people quantify and justify advantage or disadvantage values. One person can be like, "Well I can't pressure Superman, his F23 is really good and I cannot escape it. My match up is 3-7 against him!" You'll have someone else disagree with it and say there's a method against Superman shenanigans and it's 5-5 or what have you. It's overly complicated and I don't really see people breaking down Injustice match ups because it's kind of a varied and difficult thing to quantify. I just see people throw numbers names and grades around on TYM.

Because I feel NRS are retards for designing interactive objects to be so good for straight up damage on resets and zoning, it totally blurs out a lot of match up analysis. Random stages can sway your favorable match ups into evened and possibly disadvantage. For example, I just Bane, and I feel he has a lot of even match ups. But certain stage picks combined with people that will run away and cower to stage objects means down the line I'm almost guaranteed to lose 20-40% HP total due to objects hitting me one way or another. So that is basically like a straight up random handicap placed upon me.

I hope I didn't go too off topic on the last bit. Oh btw, I don't like stage interactives. lol

Just basically how good characters are, that's it, sometimes it can be based on pure matchups though.

There is no official tier list for the game, people just keep making their own. If I had to make a simple one it would be something like this.

A tier
Nightwing, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Scorpion, Batgirl, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Killer Frost, Black Adam

B tier
Ares, Cyborg, Grundy, Deathstroke, Flash, Doomsday, Catwoman, Hawkgirl(maybe?), Shazam, Green Arrow, Sinestro, Raven

C tier
Harley, Joker, Bane, Lobo, Lex Luthor

Super basic, great characters, alright characters, bad characters.

Okay I think I get it now, thanks!

One last thing I seen Suparstarx post something about "his F23 is..." Wth does that mean? I see it all the time, people will say "so and so's DD3 is great" - is it suppose to mean button sequence "down, down, strong attack" (with 3 representing strong attack) ?

Moaradin

One last thing I seen Suparstarx post something about "his F23 is..." Wth does that mean? I see it all the time, people will say "so and so's DD3 is great" - is it suppose to mean button sequence "down, down, strong attack" (with 3 representing strong attack) ?

B = Back, F = Forward, U = Up, D = Down, 1 = light attack, 2 = medium attack, 3 = heavy attack

So yea, pretty much a button sequence.

SUPARSTARX

I was just using Superman's forward+medium, Heavy attack as an example people might use to skew opinions on what makes a match up good or not.

The general notion is using numbers to represent the attacks, 1 = light (square on PS3, X on 360), 2 = medium (triangle on PS3, Y on 360), and 3 = heavy (X on PS3, A on 360)

So how beginner-friendly is online gameplay in this?

I've actually never played a fighting game online before, and I was thinking of jumping into this one. I rented it a while ago and only got to play through just the story mode, but I really enjoyed the fighting mechanics.

Khezu

So how beginner-friendly is online gameplay in this?

I've actually never played a fighting game online before, and I was thinking of jumping into this one. I rented it a while ago and only got to play through just the story mode, but I really enjoyed the fighting mechanics.

Uh, most people who play the game online are like strangely terrible at it.

I guess its because this is a type of game that attracts more DC fans then actual fighting game fans.

Uh, most people who play the game online are like strangely terrible at it.

I guess its because this is a type of game that attracts more DC fans then actual fighting game fans.

Good to know.

I think you may be right about that. Other fighting games don't usually click with me, and I feel that the difference here is that I actually care about these characters.

Isn't the majority of the cast without an alt outfit (besides regime)? Have they said they'll cover every character or do you think that will happen?

Top Bottom