• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

astonish

Played through this over the weekend. Totally amazing. Fighting urges to dig too deep into "theories" about it. While I agree with many little arguments about the ease of the game play and little inconsistencies it didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it.

Also holy shit the sound design was incredible. From amazing music that upper you to the footsteps and crawling in the silence. The sound/music during the
shockwave
sequence. 10/10

Gave into the hype despite not liking Limbo. It's more trial and error, and now the error's on me because they already fooled me the first time.

On top of it being what I didn't like about Limbo, it just seems boring. I don't feel like I'm playing a game as much as I feel like I'm playing a series of distractions connected my bouts of holding right.

I felt like an idiot for buying this as soon as that stupid kid tripped over the stick. Never mind automatically navigating around moving objects and fences; this piece of wood on the ground is my undoing, because the developer decides it is so.

I quit during the marching thing. I thought I was far enough away from the light robot that was in the previous room. Waited longer on the next respawn to get killed by the dog. The respawn after that was too far back.

Never again.

Montresor

Inside's metacritic is up to 93 from 91/92. Well-deserved!

I know it's a bit irrational for me to be this pleased but it feels good hehe. Partially because my previous favourite game of the year did not seem very well liked (Quantum Break - 77 metacritic). Inside is my current game of the year though, absolutely loved this game, and looks like it has near universal critical acclaim.

Justinian

Gave into the hype despite not liking Limbo. It's more trial and error, and now the error's on me because they already fooled me the first time.

On top of it being what I didn't like about Limbo, it just seems boring. I don't feel like I'm playing a game as much as I feel like I'm playing a series of distractions connected my bouts of holding right.

I felt like an idiot for buying this as soon as that stupid kid tripped over the stick. Never mind automatically navigating around moving objects and fences; this piece of wood on the ground is my undoing, because the developer decides it is so.

I quit during the marching thing. I though I was far enough away from the light robot that was in the previous room. Waited longer on the next respawn to get killed by the dog. The respawn after that was too far back.

Never again.

Most likely the game just isn't for you.

However, It's wrong to say it's more trial and error compared with Limbo. Most deaths can be avoided if you are super observant. That said, death is still a major part of the game and an intended learning tool. You can tell from the amount of time they spent on unique deaths and animations and also how seamlessly the game allows you to retry segments without setting you back.

daemonic

Banned
Just picked this up on steam based on a whim. What a phenomenal, beautiful game. Love the minimalism and seamlessness from one stage to another.

I handed my controller to a non-gamer friend of mine and he was hooked immediately. All the praise is easily well deserved.

XAL

243MB update

Improved support for 4k resolutions
Fixed missing shadows on some hardware configurations
Fixed issue with selecting highest resolution on 21:9 displays
Controllers
Added support for vibration on Xbox One controller on Windows 10
Tweaked controller dead-zones to avoid some puzzles being harder than intended
Steam Link controller support

Various small gameplay bugs fixed
Some cases where INSIDE failed to start has been fixed

kewlmyc

Just beat the game.

mev5eWI.gif

IronRinn

243MB update

Improved support for 4k resolutions
Fixed missing shadows on some hardware configurations
Fixed issue with selecting highest resolution on 21:9 displays
Controllers
Added support for vibration on Xbox One controller on Windows 10
Tweaked controller dead-zones to avoid some puzzles being harder than intended
Steam Link controller support

Various small gameplay bugs fixed
Some cases where INSIDE failed to start has been fixed
Didn't realize it was supposed to have this.

Guess I should play through for a fourth time, then.

kewlmyc

After sleeping on it, while it wasn't the OMG AMAZING BEST GAME EVER MADE that I went in expecting given all the reviews, this is still a great game and it won't be leaving my mind for a while . Don't regret dropping $20 on it and I'm recommending it to all my friends.

It's so strange. While I don't see it as OMG BEST GAME EVER MADE, I also can't think of any flaws. Like at all. At the times I was getting bored, the game would throw something new at you. It was beautiful to look at. And it's fun discussing and going back to replay the bizarre ass ending the game had. I want to give it a 9/10, but I can't think of any reason to knock off points for it. I guess it really is a 10/10 game just due to have no negatives to it.

Montresor

Great for PS4 owners that it's coming out so soon (I expect the game should be out shortly if the trophy list has already leaked).

I don't mean to be a negative nancy but if I did play on PS4, I would not be very happy with no platinum. I've always viewed getting a platinum trophy being equal to getting 1000 gamerscore. So not having a platinum would be like not getting 1000 gamerscore... I think it'd be better if Sony mandated every single game has a platinum.

mulac

Spent a solid 2 hours with this last night (PC) - its fine...honestly Limbo hooked me more and was more challenging/interesting.

The standout for me in this game though is the sound design...of my 2 hours playing i honestly spent around 10min just swimming around the
underwater bit with the submarine
- the swishing and sloshing sound effects of the water is incredible.

Will finish it today i expect but wish i'd waited for a sale: 20 AUD is a bit steep for it...still, support the devs!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I played like a couple hours I guess and gave up. Game was really boring and I kind of had to force myself to play. It looks great, though.

I loved Limbo, btw

JoeLT

What is the image quality and frame rate like on the Xbox version? Want to buy it but worried about another Firewatch situation

mulac

Spent a solid 2 hours with this last night (PC) - its fine...honestly Limbo hooked me more and was more challenging/interesting.

The standout for me in this game though is the sound design...of my 2 hours playing i honestly spent around 10min just swimming around the
underwater bit with the submarine
- the swishing and sloshing sound effects of the water is incredible.

Will finish it today i expect but wish i'd waited for a sale: 20 AUD is a bit steep for it...still, support the devs!

Completed. I guess ok; i'd give it a 5/10 - definitely not a "Limbo Beater" or anywhere near the hype levels that went along with it.

The meatpack of bodies was a bit odd and yes it was cool but then it was exactly the same puzzles to solve.

Game is beautiful, sound is amazing but ultimately hollow and forgettable. Uninstalled.

Tabarin

Banned
Just beat the game.

mev5eWI.gif

Exactly me and my gf reactions...

So far for me its much much better than limbo...

The graphics (omfg those real life animation graphics!), the sound design, the music and all the batshitcray weirdness at the last act....

Seriosly this was a money well spent... my gf doesnt even really like games and she was hooked from beginning to end!

Finished it for the second time two weeks ago and now I'm sitting here in Italy for my holiday and this game still haunts me. Amazing experience and GOTY so far for me.

RoKKeR

Just finished in one sitting. Wow, absolutely floored. I'll agree with the wording that IGN uses; Inside is a masterpiece.

Engaged from start to finish, the beautiful combination of top notch art, sound design, animation, pacing, and atmosphere had me hooked right from the beginning.

One of the best games I have played. Think I'll start another playthrough this weekend.

EVO

Holy shit this just became one of my all time favourites. So many jaw dropping moments. Everything from the lighting to the animation to the water tech was next level.

And that ending.
I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

A little LttP. I bought the game maybe a little after E3 and just got around to playing it for a couple of hours (haven't beaten it yet.)

Boy, was I missing out!

This game is simply amazing; easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. It's giving me the kind of feels I haven't had since The Orange Box (specifically Portal and the Half-Life episodes.) Just superb all around.

PLAYDEAD, you got yourself a new fan.

This game is simply amazing; easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. It's giving me the kind of feels I haven't had since The Orange Box (specifically Portal and the Half-Life episodes.) Just superb all around.
Absolutely. It took fucking days for me to recover from the game. May just be the biggest impact I've experienced from a game. And now after weeks of not reading pretty much nothing about the game you reminded me how amazing the game is.

BeeDog

Managed to squeeze in around 40 minutes of the PS4 version today. First impression is great, superb atmosphere and amazing art direction. Was quite worried it would just be a "walk from left to right" simulator, but then the puzzles started showing up rapidly which felt great.

Can't wait until I get some more time to continue.

Played the opening of this game. Utter perfection. Absolutely everything from the animation and control to the utmost care being put into framing the scenes...I sincerely hope it stays this good throughout.

jett

D-Member
That sure was some surreal shit.

Too bad these ICO-inspired games don't seem like they're ever going to evolve beyond the ol' push crate/swing from rope mechanics. It's about time we put a moratorium on this crap. The puzzling was pleasant although mostly pretty simple, usual trial and error stuff.

The game is really pretty though, aesthetically it's immaculate. I was amazed that it was running on Unity as well. Just fantastic art design and tech. Uncharted schmarted. INSIDE and The Witness are the best looking games of the year.

Overall I had my fun and it was worth it just for the pretties. Just wish it had congealed into something that I cared about narratively.

Alucrid

Banned
game was good. was starting to get sick of some of the mechanics near the end, fortunately i got to the end just in time to be refreshed.

Kysuke

Don't watch the trailer, don't read any reviews, just buy it and go in blind. You deserve it.

Thank you so much. I saw this quote in the other topic and once i read it I closed the thread and just ignored the game until i suddenly saw it today. played it blind and its easily top 3 game of the year for me at the moment.

Finished this game tonight. Decided to play it in three sessions so as to stretch the awesomeness as much as possible.

Ho

Lee

Sheeeet

This gif about sums it up:

tOJKw.gif

I'm very frustrated here.

I am at the part where you first have to
lead a bunch of guys around to weigh down a platform. There are some guys in a mine cart that I can clearly see. I know that I need to have the guys who are following me throw me to the platform so I can pull the switch. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to do it, and I am about to put the game down for good. Any help would be appreciated, I don't know if I am missing something obvious, or if I have hit a bug. I saw an article that said to stand at the edge of the ledge and jump into the hoard, but that does nothing. They just pick me up, and if I jump in any direction they just drop me.
Might be a bug.
It should work in the same way as before, when you used the group to throw you around before you reached the minecart.

Kerned

Banned
Might be a bug.
It should work in the same way as before, when you used the group to throw you around before you reached the minecart.

Thanks, I figured it out right after I posted.
I had only needed to have them throw me vertically before, and I was failing to push to the left while being thrown. In retrospect, that should have been the first thing I tried.

Cock of War

Finished this masterpiece on PS4 having only seen the GiantBomb quicklook. Truly an amazing piece of narrative content. Highly recommended.

Got all the trophies, figured out that musical puzzle that opens the vault door in the underground bunker/shelter in the cornfield. Led to a weird room where I unplugged something and now all the secrets are reset. Did I unplug myself as the player, what was that? Was that the only purpose of that? What is the alternative ending? Did I miss it? Am I required to find all the secrets again,unplug the big ball just before the blob again and then finish the game in order to see this ending?

TheYanger

Finished this masterpiece on PS4 having only seen the GiantBomb quicklook. Truly an amazing piece of narrative content. Highly recommended.

Got all the trophies, figured out that musical puzzle that opens the vault door in the underground bunker/shelter in the cornfield. Led to a weird room where I unplugged something and now all the secrets are reset. Did I unplug myself as the player, what was that? Was that the only purpose of that? What is the alternative ending? Did I miss it? Am I required to find all the secrets again,unplug the big ball just before the blob again and then finish the game in order to see this ending?

The alternate ending IS you unplugging yourself

Half-way through and I was really happy that this is a fantastic follow-up to Limbo. You know, mostly the same beats in a general sense, but a couple of new things to make it it's own game. Pretty good.

Last 20 minutes? This is... not what I expected. But it was amazing.

Half-way through and I was really happy that this is a fantastic follow-up to Limbo. You know, mostly the same beats in a general sense, but a couple of new things to make it it's own game. Pretty good.

Last 20 minutes? This is... not what I expected. But it was amazing.

as in amazingly awful, maybe? :) ...

was loving this game most of the way through. & then? smh...

Thanks, I figured it out right after I posted.
I had only needed to have them throw me vertically before, and I was failing to push to the left while being thrown. In retrospect, that should have been the first thing I tried.

Playdead commits a flaw that it didn't consider the type of controller in mind. The NES controller had only 2 buttons which was taken advantage of by introducing level design to force the player into investigating other buttons that interact with the game accordingly. This doesn't apply to our standard modern gamepads which is why you can confuse difficulty spikes as "bugs". As I have finished the game in one sitting, there are moments where I keep pressing all buttons at some puzzles because of this design. I hope more developers look into this as case study as they seem to neglect "controls" which is very ironic given the theme of the game and it's intricate nuances.

It was perfect payoff carefully crafted by 2.5 hours of tension, dread, and unsettling atmosphere

really? for me, it 1) totally came out of left field, & 2) completely destroyed the previous 2.5 hours of tension, dread, & unsettling atmosphere...

seriously: i suddenly felt like i was playing a completely different game. & one that i didn't especially like...

Top Bottom