• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

$50 has me really tempted to switch back to Android... eeeep. Especially if the phones are arriving on the 12th if you preorder. If this damn thing had an 810 and 4GB of ram I'd probably already be in.

Alchemy

The .edu $50 thing isn't being applied to my order and I have no idea why, what the hell is up? (I am weak and want a green phone)

FZZ

Banned
The .edu $50 thing isn't being applied to my order and I have no idea why, what the hell is up? (I am weak and want a green phone)

It only ends up covering wood/leather backs which is around $25

Also I haven't gotten my second confirmation email for my new order. I'll just wait a bit longer I guess.

Alchemy

It only ends up covering wood/leather backs which is around $25

Also I haven't gotten my second confirmation email for my new order. I'll just wait a bit longer I guess.

But it says this no where and I don't even want wood or leather... what the fuck. Is the code broken or the messaging?

does this phone have tap to wake? i forgot to ask because the G3 is amaze with that feature.

I don't know how common this is nowadays (my last phone was a Galaxy S3), but the Moto X Play anyway has a feature where if you take it out of your pocket, the unlock icon becomes active on the screen without having to press the power switch and you can swipe to unlock. I guess it detects light or something like that. Probably the Style would be similar.

I don't know how common this is nowadays (my last phone was a Galaxy S3), but the Moto X Play anyway has a feature where if you take it out of your pocket, the unlock icon becomes active on the screen without having to press the power switch and you can swipe to unlock. I guess it detects light or something like that. Probably the Style would be similar.

oh. mine does that but that's because of the bluetooth i have. which is annoying since i prefer it locked.

Every Android phone has that. It's built in.

FZZ

Banned
Lol now I haven't gotten my confirmation email from my new order in almost 4 hours. Apparently they're doing maintenance on their servers?

I'm more curious as to why it shows a broken image for my order though

CJB9uvU.png

Weird.

Here's what I went with:

kD4b.png

Nothing too crazy, but I just wanted something simple, bright, and warm. Something that kind of matched the look and feel of Lollipop/Marshmallow. Hopefully I'll like it.

I ordered about 10-15 minutes after they went up for sale, so hopefully I'm part of the first batch!

jwk94

Every Android phone has that. It's built in.

He's talking about Moto Display. It's different from tap to wake since with the latter, you just tap the screen twice and it unlocks. With Moto Display, you have to swipe the lock thing down to unlock the device (or up to get to a certain notification).

Fatalah

Here's what I went with:

kD4b.png

Nothing too crazy, but I just wanted something simple, bright, and warm. Something that kind of matched the look and feel of Lollipop/Marshmallow. Hopefully I'll like it.

I ordered about 10-15 minutes after they went up for sale, so hopefully I'm part of the first batch!

Fancy! I'll say it again - I really wish Motorola brought back the Moto Maker combination gallery!

He's talking about Moto Display. It's different from tap to wake since with the latter, you just tap the screen twice and it unlocks. With Moto Display, you have to swipe the lock thing down to unlock the device (or up to get to a certain notification).

I'm talking about the pocket thing, but I realize now he's not referring to that.

KeRaSh

It's still not available in Germany. They updated the site, though. They now show the 2nd gen Moto 360 and the Moto 360 Sport. Really tempted by the Sport but phone wise I'm very satisfied by the Moto X Play. The battery life is amazing. I don't even have to think about charging anymore. I end up with 50+% battery life at the end of the day. I wonder how the Style / Pure handles it with the higher res screen and a smaller battery.
Is this topic covered in the Verge review?

/edit: Battery lasts about a day according to The Verge.

If the rumors are true about the Play / Style hybrid I might really be tempted to consider getting rid of my Play for another upgrade again...

Can't wait to hear some hands on experiences from you guys.

FZZ

Banned
I'm talking about the pocket thing, but I realize now he's not referring to that.

Hey quick question for the order you canceled did you get an email for confirmation of the cancellation?

Because I didn't get a cancellation email but when I check the status of the order it says its already complete. And I am assuming they didn't build the phone in a day so the fact that it's complete just means it's cancelled correct?

thetechkid

So I'm on the edge between picking this up and the LG G4. I'm on Verizon and would like for the ability to root, outside of that both phones look great and I'm not sure as to which one would be the better pick here and would like an opinion on the choice.

SMattera

So I'm on the edge between picking this up and the LG G4. I'm on Verizon and would like for the ability to root, outside of that both phones look great and I'm not sure as to which one would be the better pick here and would like an opinion on the choice.

Specs are about the same. G4 has a better camera and removable battery going for it. Moto is about $100 cheaper and better flavor of Android. If you ever get sick of Verizon, you could bring the Moto over to a different carrier.

If price is no option, the G4 is probably a slightly better phone.

Personally, if you want to customize your phone and pay slightly less and want 64GB of internal memory, Moto X.

If you want a probably better phone, pay more, dont care about customizing or 64 GB (that was a big thing for me personally) go G4. The removable battery is pretty nice too, but the rear speakers are sucky imo.

I recommended the G4 for my lady personally.

i assume the order status goes in chronological order that it shows.

Right now it's at Order Complete. all that's left is In Transit and Delivered. Might get it next friday?! I hope!

Est. Delivery Monday, 09/14/15*
* Shipping delays may occur based on your location. Please check shipping provider for actual delivery dates.

If it matters, I went with 32GB and the lime silicon back.

I ordered within the first 10 minutes and my date is Sept 19th...
And they still havent delivered the 2 moto g that I ordered on the 26th and were supposed to be delivered today.

Motorola is just fucking me.

Est. Delivery Monday, 09/14/15*
* Shipping delays may occur based on your location. Please check shipping provider for actual delivery dates.

If it matters, I went with 32GB and the lime silicon back.

I ordered within the first 10 minutes and my date is Sept 19th...
And they still havent delivered the 2 moto g that I ordered on the 26th and were supposed to be delivered today.

Motorola is just fucking me.

I'm assuming that your shipping address factors in as well. Maybe Alchemy lives in the same state they're shipping out of?

I'm from Wisconsin, ordered in the first 10 minutes, and have a delivery date of 9/17.

Anyone feeling buyers remorse after reading reviews?

They're generally pretty positive, but a lot of the common complaints are battery life + slow performance in spots.

FZZ

Banned
Okay so now it updated my most recent order and says it's complete. And my old order was completed yesterday...

I hope the rep actually cancelled the order! Do not wanna pay for two phones.

Alchemy

I'm assuming that your shipping address factors in as well. Maybe Alchemy lives in the same state they're shipping out of?

I'm from Wisconsin, ordered in the first 10 minutes, and have a delivery date of 9/17.

I live in SoCal, so I guess that makes sense?

Okay so now it updated my most recent order and says it's complete. And my old order was completed yesterday...

I hope the rep actually cancelled the order! Do not wanna pay for two phones.

I called to cancel the first order I made before I knew about the education discount and wasn't able to because it's already been made. The rep on the phone told me that as soon as I receive it I can just file a return and will get a full refund.

I did the 12 mos no interest, so I'm not too concerned.

These have wireless charging, right? The OG Droid Maxx does and its become kind of a necessity for me. I'm a little worried because the curvature of the back might make the wireless charging less responsive.

lt519

Oh dear, might be a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, makes me sad my Tylt is going to go to waste now. I've got my order in but a lot of things have made me waver, I might either wait or go with the Moto G 2GB version for now until I see something I like, maybe next year.

SMattera

The Verizon version that's supposed to come next month will likely have it, along with some other improved specs. But you lose the pure Android and it'll probably be a couple hundred more.

Florida here. Who knows..

They're generally pretty positive, but a lot of the common complaints are battery life + slow performance in spots.

Eh im working off a 3 or 4 year old HTC EVO 4g LTE right now that has a battery that last down to 50% and then dies with a constant "No Storage room" message and a microphone that decides when it wants to work.

No matter how shitty this phone is it's an improvement.

Eh im working off a 3 or 4 year old HTC EVO 4g LTE right now that has a battery that last down to 50% and then dies with a constant "No Storage room" message and a microphone that decides when it wants to work.

I'm still on a Nexus 4 so I'm kind of in the same boat. But if I'm spending this much on a phone I want it to be as future proof as possible. Camera performance is subjective these days in most cases - almost everything will be acceptable. But battery life is something I definitely don't want to make a bad call on.

lol it was a good phone for a couple of months but but having to have it more than that was LOL

FZZ

Banned
I called to cancel the first order I made before I knew about the education discount and wasn't able to because it's already been made. The rep on the phone told me that as soon as I receive it I can just file a return and will get a full refund.

I did the 12 mos no interest, so I'm not too concerned.

Yeah I assumed I'd just be able to return it. Still would rather not have the charge, especially since the rep said it went through. Oh well I guess I'll find out around the 15th for when both are supposed to arrive.

SFenton

Got an e-mail this morning that my order was "on hold".

why. First I can't even get a champagne frame, now this?

Reviews are literally about as good as you could ever expect them to be for a $400 phone. I am not disappointed by the reviews at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

I'm still on a Nexus 4 so I'm kind of in the same boat. But if I'm spending this much on a phone I want it to be as future proof as possible. Camera performance is subjective these days in most cases - almost everything will be acceptable. But battery life is something I definitely don't want to make a bad call on.

Yeah I understand that for sure. I keep all my phones for a long time so I definitely get you. I plan to get my 550 dollars out of this, but i think of it like a console. I'll run it down until I cant save it anymore and then I'll switch it up. This one will probably stay with me for about 4 years too. After that I'm at basically $125 a year, seems like a pretty good investment to me.

lol it was a good phone for a couple of months but but having to have it more than that was LOL

Brother, you know my pain.
It was alright for like a year or two...now I hate it.

Yeah I understand that for sure. I keep all my phones for a long time so I definitely get you. I plan to get my 550 dollars out of this, but i think of it like a console. I'll run it down until I cant save it anymore and then I'll switch it up. This one will probably stay with me for about 4 years too. After that I'm at basically $125 a year, seems like a pretty good investment to me.

Brother, you know my pain.
It was alright for like a year or two...now I hate it.

for some odd reason. the phone decided to crap itself right around the time my contract was over. i'm like. is there a built in self destruct feature on these phones i don't know about.

i had the HTC EVO 4G > S3 > G3 and now switching to the Moto X

Reviews are literally about as good as you could ever expect them to be for a $400 phone. I am not disappointed by the reviews at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Yep. Agree completely.

for some odd reason. the phone decided to crap itself right around the time my contract was over. i'm like. is there a built in self destruct feature on these phones i don't know about.

i had the HTC EVO 4G > S3 > G3 and now switching to the Moto X

I went from Palm Pixi to HTC 4G LTE to... finally Moto X Pure. I hate that htc and it hates me.

GrapeApes

If anyone is ordering direct from Motorola you should consider going through JetAnywhere. They giving 25% (Jet)cash back with purchase from Motorola. Not sure if it works after the fact though. Sounds pretty good for something you already going to buy anyways.

https://jet.com/anywhere

RaoulDuke

will i regret getting a 16gb version? is there a difference between the built in storage and getting an SD card to add more space later?

will i regret getting a 16gb version? is there a difference between the built in storage and getting an SD card to add more space later?

current android wont let you use SD cards for app storage, android M is supposed to remedy that though....I got 64GB just in case there are caveats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom