• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly79

Seems like the most active thread to ask.

Is there a free windows app for accessing files on your phone? I need to get a text conversation off and printed and most seem paid. Hopefully someone can help. I really need it.

Erebus

Anyone here on iOS 10.3 public beta 2? How stable is it for everyday use?

I've come across a terrible bug (?) on my iPhone 7 that drains the battery while the phone is on standby unless I reboot it every couple of days. It's really bad and it's driving me crazy thus I'm thinking of updating to 10.3 beta knowing that the final release is about a month away still.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anyone here on iOS 10.3 public beta 2? How stable is it for everyday use?

I've come across a terrible bug (?) on my iPhone 7 that drains the battery while the phone is on standby unless I reboot it every couple of days. It's really bad and it's driving me crazy thus I'm thinking of updating to 10.3 beta knowing that the final release is about a month away still.

Been running both beta 1 and 2 without issue so far.

jcutner

There's this weird issue with my friends alarms on her iPhone. If she has an alarm turned on (single alarm), then closes Clock.app and re-opens, it's off. Then on top of that, if you have multiple alarms in Clock.app and turn on one, then turn on a second, it will turn off the first one. And again, it doesn't save that either, close and re-open and it's off.

She just got a new phone, and restored her iOS backup to it, and the problem continues, so I imagine it's something within the backup, or just a very strange setting.

Apart from restoring the device to factory and using it as a new iPhone, any ideas?

There's this weird issue with my friends alarms on her iPhone. If she has an alarm turned on (single alarm), then closes Clock.app and re-opens, it's off. Then on top of that, if you have multiple alarms in Clock.app and turn on one, then turn on a second, it will turn off the first one. And again, it doesn't save that either, close and re-open and it's off.

She just got a new phone, and restored her iOS backup to it, and the problem continues, so I imagine it's something within the backup, or just a very strange setting.

Apart from restoring the device to factory and using it as a new iPhone, any ideas?
Try removing all the alarms and starting again?

I guess my battery is broken when its always shuts down at around 30%, even when it takes at this point an eternity to shut down?
This is a known bug. I'm having all sorts of battery issues with my iPhone 6.
Hopefully the next iOS update addresses it but I'm not very hopeful.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is a known bug. I'm having all sorts of battery issues with my iPhone 6.
Hopefully the next iOS update addresses it but I'm not very hopeful.
It became much better in the last couple of days, even when I having the feeling that the battery became a bit weaker.
I hope they stay to their word and try to make the battery stronger with the next update, as Tim Cook promised to Chinas Consumer agency.

Not for iPhone 6

mrkgoo

After a few months got another "verification code" to my trusted device, in a foreign language, and my account was locked for security purposes.

I imagine that it's multiple password attempts that failed, although I'm not sure how a code was sent to my device, because that usually implies they have the password (which is basically impossible, like a couple dozen randomized letter/numbers that is never used elsewhere). Unless Apple sends a code when you try to reset your password on the website and attempts were made there to "recover" a "forgotten" password.

I just changed my password and moved on.

But it makes me wonder, what is stopping anyone from just messing with an appleID account just to lock it? Because it's a bit of a hassle to unlock and change password and re-enter it into your devices.

After a few months got another "verification code" to my trusted device, in a foreign language, and my account was locked for security purposes.

I imagine that it's multiple password attempts that failed, although I'm not sure how a code was sent to my device, because that usually implies they have the password (which is basically impossible, like a couple dozen randomized letter/numbers that is never used elsewhere). Unless Apple sends a code when you try to reset your password on the website and attempts were made there to "recover" a "forgotten" password.

But it makes me wonder, what is stopping anyone from just messing with an appleID account just to lock it? Because it's a bit of a hassle to unlock and change password and re-enter it into your devices.

Nothing, really. It just takes a lot of attempts

Clarifying questions: do you have two-factor authentication turned on or two step verification? Are the things coming in verification codes or a message saying "Do you want to reset your password?"

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Verification codes (the 4-digit codes) only get sent out if the password that was entered was correct.
Whoever breached your password last time in November did it again.

mrkgoo

Nothing, really. It just takes a lot of attempts

Clarifying questions: do you have two-factor authentication turned on or two step verification? Are the things coming in verification codes or a message saying "Do you want to reset your password?"

Two step.

I can't read it because it's in a foreign language but the formatting would presume it to be

"Verification Code: Your Apple ID Verification Code is: XXXX"

Verification codes (the 4-digit codes) only get sent out if the password that was entered was correct.
Whoever breached your password last time in November did it again.

Except it's a different language this time. Guess you could always go to a different country's iCloud to try.

I still don't see how a password breach can happen. It's like a couple dozen randomised characters. I never use it anywhere else and I don't log on to any public wi fi.

With two step, could they just be accessing the recovery key? After all the recovery key is a fixed alphanumeric code without case-sensitivity. It's weaker than my password, technically. Or could they some how otherwise be on the forgotten password page and accessing the "trusted" device option before the recovery key?

At any rate I never got any email saying a device managed to log on and my account was locked so hopefully a password change is enough.

And lol at recalling it was in November! I don't think I even remember when it was. I did a quick google, seems like it can happen to some people sometimes. Found a few instances where people get them and don't think their password is breached either, but I guess they could be wrong. One time it happened simultaneously for a bunch of people and they dismissed it as a technical bug due to the coincidental timing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Two step.

I can't read it because it's in a foreign language but the formatting would presume it to be

"Verification Code: Your Apple ID Verification Code is: XXXX"

Except it's a different language this time. Guess you could always go to a different country's iCloud to try.

I still don't see how a password breach can happen. It's like a couple dozen randomised characters. I never use it anywhere else and I don't log on to any public wi fi.

With two step, could they just be accessing the recovery key? After all the recovery key is a fixed alphanumeric code without case-sensitivity. It's weaker than my password, technically. Or could they some how otherwise be on the forgotten password page and accessing the "trusted" device option before the recovery key?

At any rate I never got any email saying a device managed to log on and my account was locked so hopefully a password change is enough.

And lol at recalling it was in November! I don't think I even remember when it was. I did a quick google, seems like it can happen to some people sometimes. Found a few instances where people get them and don't think their password is breached either, but I guess they could be wrong. One time it happened simultaneously for a bunch of people and they dismissed it as a technical bug due to the coincidental timing.
The language of the verification message is based on the locale of the attacker, presumably under proxy so I wouldn't put much worth into that.

If they used your recovery key that wouldn't trigger verification codes, they'd have complete access to your account right away.

From the sound of things your email and the fact it's associated with an Apple ID is in the public domain (figuratively speaking) and is bound to have password cracking attempts run against it repeatedly as part of batch jobs until the end of time. Maybe it only takes a few months to happen upon the right hash that constitutes your password, who knows (I knew it was November because I checked back a few pages of this thread to where you mentioned it the last time). :)

I would look into changing your Apple ID email address along with the password, or you'll likely have another incident like this a few months from now again.

mrkgoo

The language of the verification message is based on the locale of the attacker, presumably under proxy so I wouldn't put much worth into that.

If they used your recovery key that wouldn't trigger verification codes, they'd have complete access to your account right away.

From the sound of things your email and the fact it's associated with an Apple ID is in the public domain (figuratively speaking) and is bound to have password cracking attempts run against it repeatedly as part of batch jobs until the end of time. Maybe it only takes a few months to happen upon the right hash that constitutes your password, who knows (I knew it was November because I checked back a few pages of this thread to where you mentioned it the last time). :)

I would look into changing your Apple ID email address along with the password, or you'll likely have another incident like this a few months from now again.

You're probably right.

However in the forgot password site, you need the recovery key and a trusted device. That's the point of two step. If you don't have the password you need the recovery key AND a trusted device. You don't just get in if they have the recovery key (unless they have the password). At least to my knowledge.

When my account was locked it asked for recovery key and then a trusted device.

Two steps to get in, any two of the three pieces.

I can't really change my email address identifier and I know how much trouble that can cause as well. Not to mention they may be using the iCloud email identifier as an attempt. Not sure if I can change that. I'm in the fortunate/unfortunate position of having my first name as my email so it's kind of an obvious target. It's a rare name but possibly common in certain countries.

I occasionally get my iCloud email used to sign in to services that don't verify the owner.

Man 10.3 beta 3 is super quick (on a 6S) it's really, really noticeable.
The power of APFS...?

Considering the Mac 'Dark Mode' :)lol) was implemented over 2 years ago and still hasn't made it's way across to iOS are we to assume it's not happening?
The Noctis jailbreak tweak looks so good, I'm jealous :(

Man 10.3 beta 3 is super quick (on a 6S) it's really, really noticeable.
The power of APFS...?

Considering the Mac 'Dark Mode' :)lol) was implemented over 2 years ago and still hasn't made it's way across to iOS are we to assume it's not happening?
The Noctis jailbreak tweak looks so good, I'm jealous :(

I have a strong suspicion that an iOS dark mode will be introduced with iOS 11 (in preparation for an OLED equipped iPhone model).

Yeah. I dont believe that the changes in my battery power are something that occur that drastic in just 4 months.

It's definitely software related. This is me, and probably you too: battery drains overwall much faster than usual (and faster than every other iPhone I've used), Snapchat in particular murders percentages, sometimes the percentage will drop drastically and turning the phone off and back on again restores the actual higher number, it will sometimes shut down below 30% but above 1%, overall requires constant charging throughout the day.

mrkgoo

It's definitely software related. This is me, and probably you too: battery drains overwall much faster than usual (and faster than every other iPhone I've used), Snapchat in particular murders percentages, sometimes the percentage will drop drastically and turning the phone off and back on again restores the actual higher number, it will sometimes shut down below 30% but above 1%, overall requires constant charging throughout the day.

I have a feeling they did change their reporting in ios10, I get weird fluctuations too, but it most definitely could also Be hardware with aging batteries.

also, check your battery usage in te settings app and see if there is a particular app that seems to be draining battery more than others, particularly background app refresh.

Does anyone else have issues with the Podcast app sitting on 'Preparing to download' for ages? And, half the time it doesn't feel like it checks when it says it does for new content.

I've double-checked all the settings and it should be fine.

I have a strong suspicion that an iOS dark mode will be introduced with iOS 11 (in preparation for an OLED equipped iPhone model).

Here's hoping!
iOS has already taken many design cues from the Apple Watch, so it's certainly logical that's it's dark interface makes it over once the phone finally gets a comparable OLED display.
The Watch display is really beautiful at 1.5 inches, a Plus sized phone screen following a similar aesthetic would truly be amazing.

giga

Really not a fan of what marco did to Overcast 3. No more single tap to play or swipe to delete is making me consider paying for Castro.

Really not a fan of what marco did to Overcast 3. No more single tap to play or swipe to delete is making me consider paying for Castro.

Based on this week's ATP, he's not gonna change the bar but he's going to investigate adding back in swipe to delete in addition to the bar, not instead of

rawd

So it turns out the crazy epileptic backlight thing I've been having on my 6S the last few months is possibly caused by iOS.

Anyone else experiencing this???

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ease-admits-to-serious-problems/#6148b87850ac

It is also worth pointing out that while Apple is now pushing users to upgrade to iOS 10.2.1 now it has revealed the partial 30% Bug cure hidden inside it, the reality is the release also introduces a lot of new problems.
A bizarre bug lowers screen brightness at 74% and 49% is affecting every supported model other than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus (sources 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,)

Ambitious

I'm using Apple Mail on my Mac and the official Gmail app on my iPhone. When I send an email using the former and look at the conversation in the Gmail app, all my text is quoted. So it actually only displays three dots which I have to tap to show what I wrote. Does anyone else have this issue?

Number45

Is it common for iPhone texts to not go through to Android phones?

I have a friend who doesn't always get every text I send.
Only time I've ever had problems is if the person I'm sending to has previously had an iPhone, but in that case it's pretty obvious what's happening.

Kisaya

Hi all, basically had this problem for the past couple of days and was wondering if anyone could help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7540060?start=0&tstart=0

A week ago my iPhone SE spazzed out and all my photos disappeared, but then magically started reappearing. Didn't think too much about it and continued to go about my day since I didn't think I had lost anything. A couple of days later I noticed that I haven't received any text messages, and when I checked I noticed that everything in my inbox was gone. I look at my storage settings and see that messages is taking up 19GB of my space, so they have to be in there right? Also, I can't see any text messages that I have received and sent out.

I hadn't updated to the newest iOS (was running on 10.1 I believe), so today I backed up my phone and updated to 10.2.1. Still nothing in my iMessages inbox. My last two options is to restore from the backup I just made or to go to the Apple Store. I want to try to restore from backup, but I'm paranoid that I will lose my photos, can someone reassure me that it's included in the backup I just made?

Hi all, basically had this problem for the past couple of days and was wondering if anyone could help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7540060?start=0&tstart=0

A week ago my iPhone SE spazzed out and all my photos disappeared, but then magically started reappearing. Didn't think too much about it and continued to go about my day since I didn't think I had lost anything. A couple of days later I noticed that I haven't received any text messages, and when I checked I noticed that everything in my inbox was gone. I look at my storage settings and see that messages is taking up 19GB of my space, so they have to be in there right? Also, I can't see any text messages that I have received and sent out.

I hadn't updated to the newest iOS (was running on 10.1 I believe), so today I backed up my phone and updated to 10.2.1. Still nothing in my iMessages inbox. My last two options is to restore from the backup I just made or to go to the Apple Store. I want to try to restore from backup, but I'm paranoid that I will lose my photos, can someone reassure me that it's included in the backup I just made?

Why not backup to a computer if you're worried about losing photos? There are some other techniques as well that don't involve iTunes.

Google search: transfer photos from iphone to computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom