• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

This is nonsense. From my iPhone 3G to 3GS to Samsung Focus to Lumia 920 to Lumia 830 to Lumia 950 to iPhone 6S Plus I've never had a phone that's impossible to use in moderate cold around 20 degrees F.

It's cold, but not that cold.

Even this specific phone worked fine in the cold last winter, including when I was out skiing in well-under-freezing temperatures in Canada. Only this Winter did this problem really start.
fwiw my 5S does/did that too after I use it in the cold for an extended period of time. Nothing so far this winter but it's too cold to use it anyway this year soooo...

That could be conicidental cache deletions. I'm curious what impact APFS will have for file manager/browsers though.

Except when I look in storage, apps such as Facebook etc aren't any smaller, so I don't think their cache's have been deleted. Also my iPad gets used less frequently than my iPhone and yet the amount of space freed is similar.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Except when I look in storage, apps such as Facebook etc aren't any smaller, so I don't think their cache's have been deleted. Also my iPad gets used less frequently than my iPhone and yet the amount of space freed is similar.
Good to hear, maybe it's copy-on-write doing its thing.

mrkgoo

Slide to unlock doesn't matter with TouchID

People hold onto things like this for no real reason. I mean, sure it takes little while to get used to after like 7-8 years of muscle memory, more than most other changes in fact, but it is kind of a little archaic.

A lot of the user interface of the original iPhone was from a time when it was all new. When it was teaching use things we had never done before and had a more defined purpose. Slide to unlock was there to prevent spurious button presses from actually opening the device when in a pocket and then causing other things to happen unintended.

With Touch ID, this becomes less necessary.

I don't even have TouchID and I'm totally used to pushing home twice now. The other day I was using my mother's iPhone (still on iOS 9), and I hit home, and then it showed me the slide to unlock, and it felt kind of old-hat - I was like "Why am I reaching up to the screen to slide it?" ). It bemused me.

Persona7

Banned
Slide to unlock missing fucking sucks on my gen 6 ipod because it doesn't have touch ID. Just more presses for basic functionality wearing it out at a quicker rate.

Pixieking

Banned
An iCloud on Windows question, so hope people won't mind the vague off-topic nature... I've given-up caring about using it, but it's bugging me. I had some issues installing the latest versions of iTunes and iCloud on Windows, so uninstalled ready to reinstall the new versions.

iTunes gave me no issues.

iCloud gives me this error: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Using sxstrace gives me this:
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64
CultureFallBacks = en-GB;en;en-US
ManifestPath = F:\Downloads\iCloudSetup.exe
AssemblyDirectory = F:\Downloads\
Application Config File =
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File F:\Downloads\iCloudSetup.exe.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
ERROR: Line 0: XML Syntax error.
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.

=================
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64
-----------------

=================
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
-----------------

Every Google search I make either gives me nothing, or gives me random stuff about vcredist versions, which aren't relevant.

Like I say, don't care about installing it, so no-one should stress about finding an answer, but I am damn curious to know what the hell is up. :p

Number45

So I can't help with that specifically, but I do run iCloud (pretty much for bookmark sync between Safari and Firefox only) on my work Windows 10 laptop and it's never given me any problems.

Fake edit: I've just realised I don't have the most recent update installed - going to install it now and let you know how I get on.

Real edit: All good for me after the update.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
An iCloud on Windows question, so hope people won't mind the vague off-topic nature... I've given-up caring about using it, but it's bugging me. I had some issues installing the latest versions of iTunes and iCloud on Windows, so uninstalled ready to reinstall the new versions.

iTunes gave me no issues.

iCloud gives me this error: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Using sxstrace gives me this:

Every Google search I make either gives me nothing, or gives me random stuff about vcredist versions, which aren't relevant.

Like I say, don't care about installing it, so no-one should stress about finding an answer, but I am damn curious to know what the hell is up. :p
Points to one or more of any Microsoft Visual C++ installations currently available on your computer being corrupted or potentially the wrong version (x86 vs x64). Could've happened as part of the previous uninstall you mentioned as a side effect. iCloud app needs a couple of libraries to function and it can't find them so it throws up that error.

Pixieking

Banned
So I can't help with that specifically, but I do run iCloud (pretty much for bookmark sync between Safari and Firefox only) on my work Windows 10 laptop and it's never given me any problems.

Fake edit: I've just realised I don't have the most recent update installed - going to install it now and let you know how I get on.

Real edit: All good for me after the update.

Booooo, I get all the bad luck. :(

Points to one or more of any Microsoft Visual C++ installations currently available on your computer being corrupted or potentially the wrong version (x86 vs x64). Could've happened as part of the previous uninstall you mentioned as a side effect. iCloud app needs a couple of libraries to function and it can't find them so it throws up that error.

Mmmm. I've reinstalled some, but god knows which ones I need or are conflicting. Actually just easier to reinstall Windows, rather than troubleshoot it. Which I may do, but was hoping to put it off a few more months til I upgraded the SSD.

jts

...hate me...
I feel like Siri actually gets dumber by the day.

iqIMfxv.jpg

Yesterday I asked to change the volume after a song started playing (via Siri), and it said "hmm I don't think anything is playing". Jesus.

And the whole volume changing ability is still not perfectly implemented, I also often get the "sorry I can't do that" thing.

Apple needs to stop these discrete disjointed updates to Siri and properly invest in updating it constantly. They were ahead of the game 5 years ago when it came out and now are behind it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
At least Siri works for you. Siri hasn't worked for me in any capacity whatsoever on my iPhone 5C since I installed the first iOS 10 beta. Even after a reinstall of my data.

dLMN8R

Is there a way to make web sites saved to your home screen not work like crap?

For example I use trakt.tv to track my movie and TV watching. There are apps which sync with it, but the mobile site works great by itself.

I saved it to my home screen, which works well enough, but it's so dumb - there's no suspend / resume / task switching capability for it?? Every time I close the window or switch apps and then switch back to the trakt.tv saved site, it reloads everything from scratch.

Is there some setting to prevent this from happening?

Number45

Is there a way to make web sites saved to your home screen not work like crap?

For example I use trakt.tv to track my movie and TV watching. There are apps which sync with it, but the mobile site works great by itself.

I saved it to my home screen, which works well enough, but it's so dumb - there's no suspend / resume / task switching capability for it?? Every time I close the window or switch apps and then switch back to the trakt.tv saved site, it reloads everything from scratch.

Is there some setting to prevent this from happening?
It's because all adding a website to your home screen does is create a shortcut that opens a new tab in Safari, so if you click it again it'll just open yet another tab fresh and have to lead everything again.

Sites that I visit frequently I just keep as an open tab in Safari rather than add them to the home screen. I can't see any way of having it just load into the existing tab from settings.

dLMN8R

It's because all adding a website to your home screen does is create a shortcut that opens a new tab in Safari, so if you click it again it'll just open yet another tab fresh and have to lead everything again.

Sites that I visit frequently I just keep as an open tab in Safari rather than add them to the home screen. I can't see any way of having it just load into the existing tab from settings.

But that's not happening. When I open trakt.tv from the fake app saved to my home screen, it does not open in Safari, nor does it leave behind a Safari tab if I go back to it later.

It's essentially an isolated container of a Safari tab in its own container. I cannot access Safari controls or the address bar, I can just interact with the app itself.

This all would be great if only it correctly preserved state like everything else in the OS does.

ryan299

A few months ago I changed the email on my apple id and after I restored recently I keep getting a popup asking for me to enter the password to my old id. Anybody know how to get this to stop?

mrkgoo

A few months ago I changed the email on my apple id and after I restored recently I keep getting a popup asking for me to enter the password to my old id. Anybody know how to get this to stop?

Is your current password the same? If it is it should still work. If you also changed the password at the time, I think it can try to request the password it knew at the time, or not recognise the new password, which is causing the issue.

Does it ask when you try to update apps? there might be some apps still tied to that identifier. the answer might be to delete and reinstall those apps.

It sucks, because it really is the same apple ID, but it asks with the old address. IT can do it for logins on macs, and other places.

One way to maybe get it to stop, which has worked for other instances where it occurred on a mac for the login (lesson: don't use your appleID as your mac log in) was to change the appleID back to the old address, change the password to something else, then log in to the mac, and enter that password where it needed to be. Then go back and change the id back to your new email and password.

This may be incredibly messy on iOS though, especially if it's a random popup and you don't know what service is causing it.
You might also try logging OUT from the iOS device, and logging back in with the new email. various places that might require this are: iMessage, FaceTime, game centre, iTunes store, and iCloud.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can they just give you the option to have the os turn on low battery mode automatically instead of giving you that annoying prompt?

Symphonia

Banned
Can they just give you the option to have the os turn on low battery mode automatically instead of giving you that annoying prompt?
I'm honestly surprised iOS doesn't have a quick toggle for this, seeing as it's been a staple of Android for a fair while. It's annoying having to go in to Settings > Battery to turn it on.

Eklesp

But that's not happening. When I open trakt.tv from the fake app saved to my home screen, it does not open in Safari, nor does it leave behind a Safari tab if I go back to it later.

It's essentially an isolated container of a Safari tab in its own container. I cannot access Safari controls or the address bar, I can just interact with the app itself.

This all would be great if only it correctly preserved state like everything else in the OS does.

There is code on the site to do this. There are many sites that allow it, acting as an individual app when launched form a shortcut, Adblock does not work though which is a pain.

Do you want a different page to open each time when using the shortcut? You could change the link.

OK, so someone give me some info on how Family Sharing works, in particular, this:

When I started using an iPhone, I signed up with my email. Even when I switched off iPhone, my wife used that iTunes/iCloud sign-in for all her stuff. Now I'm back, and I need to get her own sign-in so that passwords, apps, etc don't cross anymore.

Do I just get her to accept a family share invite with her email and job done? Is it that simple?

OK, so someone give me some info on how Family Sharing works, in particular, this:

When I started using an iPhone, I signed up with my email. Even when I switched off iPhone, my wife used that iTunes/iCloud sign-in for all her stuff. Now I'm back, and I need to get her own sign-in so that passwords, apps, etc don't cross anymore.

Do I just get her to accept a family share invite with her email and job done? Is it that simple?

Her email has to be a valid AppleId, so make it one if it's not already. But other than that, yea

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I guess my battery is broken when its always shuts down at around 30%, even when it takes at this point an eternity to shut down?

Ambitious

I would use so many more widgets if the widget screen was paginated, preferably horizontally. Having all widgets in one long, unpaginated list means you have to actively pay attention while scrolling when searching for a widget, and you also have to be careful to not accidentally hit an UI element of a different widget while scrolling and cause unintended actions.
The fact that there's no scroll bar makes this issue even worse, as you might lose your sense of position in the list when the number of widgets grows. If the screen was paginated, you'd also know where exactly you are, and you'd also know how often to swipe in order to get to a specific widget. No need to pay attention, no need to be careful about scrolling to far. Just swipe to the left/right X times.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be. The simplest solution is to allow the user to create custom pages in notification center and place one or more widgets on any of them, basically mirroring the home screen. But then one might have to swipe many, many times to get back to the notification page on the far left. I'd solve this new issue by revamping the pagination dots in order to make it possible to jump to a specific page.

I've also been thinking about the idea of putting app widgets into Control Center. Since iOS 10, it's paginated, so the framework for adding new pages/views is already in place. While Notification Center covers the screen, Control Center only partially overlays it - so in that case, I would restrict each page to one widget, not more. With this restriction, it would also be possible to display the app icons of the widgets in the pagination control instead of generic dots. Again, I'd increase the size of the controls in order to enable jumping to specific pages.
But now that I think about it again: This would kinda blur the line between NC and CC, would it not? NC allows for interactions, but is intended for presenting data. CC is intended exclusively for interactions, i.e. controlling stuff. With my second solution, it would be possible to add any read-only widget, e.g. a weather widget, to Control Center, which feels kinda wrong.

Dunno. Just some thoughts.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would use so many more widgets if the widget screen was paginated, preferably horizontally. Having all widgets in one long, unpaginated list means you have to actively pay attention while scrolling when searching for a widget, and you also have to be careful to not accidentally hit an UI element of a different widget while scrolling and cause unintended actions.
The fact that there's no scroll bar makes this issue even worse, as you might lose your sense of position in the list when the number of widgets grows. If the screen was paginated, you'd also know where exactly you are, and you'd also know how often to swipe in order to get to a specific widget. No need to pay attention, no need to be careful about scrolling to far. Just swipe to the left/right X times.
Funny, I actually sometimes wish I could do the opposite for the Home screen. Have everything in one long continuously scrolling list.

And I think the whole "scrollbar disappears" UI paradigm that Apple created with iOS that has spread to macOS sucks sometimes. I don't mind having the scroll area disappear, but not knowing where on a page I am at a glance sometimes bugs me because I can't tell if there's more content. At least show a half-faded arrow at the top or bottom corner of a scrollable area when there's more content. Something that isn't obtrusive but at least gives a visual cue that there's more. Especially on macOS. I'd turn on scrollbar visibility on macOS if they weren't so boring and plain now. (Read: If it was just the grey scroll grabber and the track was invisible)

Basically give an option to have something always visible when an area is scrollable. Make it a Accessibility option if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom