• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing tidbit from Gruber’s Talk Show Live last night. Apparently they did test rollouts of APFS in 10.1 and 10.2. As part of the upgrade process the phone would convert to APFS, the system would send information back to Apple about how it went and things that went wrong, and then the whole system got converted back to HFS+
Wow

Not sure if this is the right thread.

Back when I had an android phone, I used LastPass to make signing into websites more convenient as I hate mobile keyboards. LastPass on iPhone doesn't seem to auto fill, there's a setting for it and I have it enabled but I still have to log in manually.

Is there a password manager for iOS that auto fills?

Yeah, that was one of my favorite details to come out of the whole thing. APFS is easily one of the biggest file-system rollouts/conversions in history, basically only sitting next to FAT->FAT32 and FAT32->NTFS, and they did it much more painlessly and seamlessly than either of those.

Accidental Tech Podcast has talked about how HFS+ has some issues with case sensitivity (basically, anything written assuming case sensitivity will run into problems with case insensitive systems and anything written assuming case insensitivity will run into problems with case sensitive systems) and how this, IIRC, occasionally causes issues with some crossplatform software like Steam and might also continue to be an issue with APFS on macOS (I believe iOS is case sensitive and always has been and is thus an easier case for APFS conversion because it doesn't need to be ready for either scenario).

I'm sure Apple's pretty confident in their APFS rollover process for macOS at this point, though.

Here's hoping they abandon spinning hard drives in the iMac sooner rather than later - as SSD performance improves and as Apple's own file system clearly gets optimized around SSD, that just gets to be more and more of a performance bottleneck. An old SSD-only MacBook Air feels snappier on many tasks than a current-day iMac with a magnetic hard drive. Some APFS features will mitigate these issues, but other APFS features are going to send SSD's utility into the stratosphere (especially if and when Time Machine gets a modernized rewrite).

Number45

Not sure if this is the right thread.

Back when I had an android phone, I used LastPass to make signing into websites more convenient as I hate mobile keyboards. LastPass on iPhone doesn't seem to auto fill, there's a setting for it and I have it enabled but I still have to log in manually.

Is there a password manager for iOS that auto fills?
You can have it auto-fill, you just need to enable the extension in Safari. It's not completely seamless, but it's pretty painless.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/lastpass-mobile/ios/

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah, that was one of my favorite details to come out of the whole thing. APFS is easily one of the biggest file-system rollouts/conversions in history, basically only sitting next to FAT->FAT32 and FAT32->NTFS, and they did it much more painlessly and seamlessly than either of those.

Accidental Tech Podcast has talked about how HFS+ has some issues with case sensitivity (basically, anything written assuming case sensitivity will run into problems with case insensitive systems and anything written assuming case insensitivity will run into problems with case sensitive systems) and how this, IIRC, occasionally causes issues with some crossplatform software like Steam and might also continue to be an issue with APFS on macOS (I believe iOS is case sensitive and always has been and is thus an easier case for APFS conversion because it doesn't need to be ready for either scenario).

I'm sure Apple's pretty confident in their APFS rollover process for macOS at this point, though.

There is a case-insensitive variant of APFS that's in use on macOS. (The initial beta only offered the case-sensitive version, which is why there were concerns - it didn't come out until a few months ago that there'd be a case-insensitive version.)

mr.beers

Anyone else having issues with the YouTube app? I will search for a video, click on video, ad plays perfectly but the video I want to watch only plays 25% of the time.

Edit: I have closed out the app and restarted still no fix. Maybe I should try deleting it.

Edit2: deleting it did nothing just sits there and tries to load. iPhone 7+ btw.

Edit3: iPad won't load YouTube videos either but they will on my PC? WTF!

dLMN8R

Hey everyone, looking for an app that can do some specific things:

• Play videos faster - take any video on my device and allow playback at 1.5/2x speeds
  • Do the same for videos on YouTube and elsewhere
  • Allow for the download of videos from YouTube

I used to be able to do all of this with Swift player, especially helpful for lectures and stuff on YouTube, but that app has been out of support for a few years now and is 32-bit to boot.

I'm willing to pay $5-10 for it too, any recommendations?

Heck, would YouTube + YouTube Red allow me to do this stuff? I'd be willing to pay for that subscription here and there. I know Red allows you to download videos for offline playback but don't know if it lets you do variable speed playback.

Hey everyone, looking for an app that can do some specific things:

• Play videos faster - take any video on my device and allow playback at 1.5/2x speeds
  • Do the same for videos on YouTube and elsewhere
  • Allow for the download of videos from YouTube

I used to be able to do all of this with Swift player, especially helpful for lectures and stuff on YouTube, but that app has been out of support for a few years now and is 32-bit to boot.

I'm willing to pay $5-10 for it too, any recommendations?

Heck, would YouTube + YouTube Red allow me to do this stuff? I'd be willing to pay for that subscription here and there. I know Red allows you to download videos for offline playback but don't know if it lets you do variable speed playback.

It does not. At least the stock app does not

The new iPad Pro made my iPhone 7 feel laggy. I pray that ProMotion makes the iPhone 8.

120fps should be easier to do on a smartphone than it is on a tablet since there are fewer pixels to push. I think that's a perfectly reasonable expectation.

I'd love to see the iPhone get TrueTone and antireflective coating too but I doubt we'll be so lucky.

Vuze

120fps should be easier to do on a smartphone than it is on a tablet since there are fewer pixels to push. I think that's a perfectly reasonable expectation.

I'd love to see the iPhone get TrueTone and antireflective coating too but I doubt we'll be so lucky.
What about battery though? I would assume that there are way more situations on the phone where it would need to run at 120hz than on the iPad which is very much a consumption device.

I sort of hate the disparity between device features right now as well, though. Between Macs with only USB-C, all others with Lightning, the iPad Pro with TrueTone and ProMotion, the iPhone without these but dual cam etc...

Red

Does anyone know of a good photo slideshow app that can replace the memories function of the stock photo app? Anything have at least parity when it comes to music selection and features while also allowing user-selected photos instead of only memory-specific collections?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My mother is finally moving into smartphone territory after I offered her my iPhone 5c prior to selling it.

She called up AT&T this morning and handled the proper setup. The phone is unlocked (from AT&T, actually) and a sim card is headed her way.

The phone has a fairly fresh battery (replaced it myself about a year back) and is fully updated. I did a full reset & erase a while back but have used it once since then to set up 2-factor authentication on my mother's iCloud account, so I'll have to do one more reset & erase when the SIM card arrives.

I know the phone isn't getting iOS 11, but I'm thinking for the handful of things she's gonna use it for it'll be perfect. Here's hoping things go smoothly.

Vuze

Man, what kind of mess is the podcast app? I just recently got into podcast listening (thanks to the AirPods mostly) but this thing doesn't seem to download the podcasts I subscribed to most of the time. I set it up to do 6-hourly checks and download the latest episodes; my phone is connected to Wifi and charging the whole night from ~11pm to 6/7am. Sometimes I receive the update notification and the podcasts are downloaded when I check the app the next day. But more recently, that just seems to work sporadically. What gives?

It's annoying but 3rd party apps can't download in the background afaik so they won't solve my problem. Apart from that, the stock app is fine for me albeit a little bit weird to handle.

Man, what kind of mess is the podcast app? I just recently got into podcast listening (thanks to the AirPods mostly) but this thing doesn't seem to download the podcasts I subscribed to most of the time. I set it up to do 6-hourly checks and download the latest episodes; my phone is connected to Wifi and charging the whole night from ~11pm to 6/7am. Sometimes I receive the update notification and the podcasts are downloaded when I check the app the next day. But more recently, that just seems to work sporadically. What gives?

It's annoying but 3rd party apps can't download in the background afaik so they won't solve my problem. Apart from that, the stock app is fine for me albeit a little bit weird to handle.

I use Pocket Casts and I have it setup to download some of my podcasts in the background and it seems to work fairly well. An app like Overcast does the same thing and it's free to try out so you may want to give it a whirl and see if it would work the way you'd like.

Vuze

I use Pocket Casts and I have it setup to download some of my podcasts in the background and it seems to work fairly well. An app like Overcast does the same thing and it's free to try out so you may want to give it a whirl and see if it would work the way you'd like.
Did they change the policy regarding bigger downloads in the background? I always thought Apple restricted this because of battery life. Thanks for the info though, I'll try these apps.

Did they change the policy regarding bigger downloads in the background? I always thought Apple restricted this because of battery life. Thanks for the info though, I'll try these apps.

The podcasts I have set to automatically download are only like 25 mb a piece. I think the way it works is Apple restricts how frequently a third party app does any sort of background downloading as there doesn't seem to be any settings in third party podcast apps for how frequently it should check for new downloads.

Night.Ninja

Banned

vader.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I got a Apple Music for 6 months for free promo last August and I just noticed that I can still hear music while I have never paid a penny for the service... how is this possible?

mrkgoo

I got a Apple Music for 6 months for free promo last August and I just noticed that I can still hear music while I have never paid a penny for the service... how is this possible?
Didn't you cancel? Maybe it switched over to paying? Check your credit card. Maybe you had iTunes money and its paying from there.

Are these songs that are streaming or downloaded? Maybe you own them.

I just want to say, I know the feature has been out for a long time by now but I really really love Live Photo’s. They make vacations, especially trips to the zoo, like 200% better

DOWN

Banned
I just want to say, I know the feature has been out for a long time by now but I really really love Live Photo’s. They make vacations, especially trips to the zoo, like 200% better
I find it a wee bit too annoying to have on by default and I never remember to turn it back on. It's weird to try and take a photo of a receipt and iMessage it to a friend, only for them to say they caught weird residual scenes or whatever in it

Vuze

(LTTP) How do these even work? Do you get a full resolution shot of the initial frame + video clip? Or ar the individual full resolution photos stitched together or something?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Didn't you cancel? Maybe it switched over to paying? Check your credit card. Maybe you had iTunes money and its paying from there.

Are these songs that are streaming or downloaded? Maybe you own them.

I didnt cancel, the promo ran out in February. And I never payed a buck, I just checked, I only use iTunes Vouchers and its only used for iCloud Storage.
Its all straming and I own none of them.
Its super strange.

I find it a wee bit too annoying to have on by default and I never remember to turn it back on. It's weird to try and take a photo of a receipt and iMessage it to a friend, only for them to say they caught weird residual scenes or whatever in it

I definitely leave it on by default. I find it a lot better to be surprised by a great live photo and have the option of turning it off before sending it to someone than miss out. Turning it off is super easy anyway, especially when iMessaging it to someone. It's literally just an icon you have to tap in the corner before sending (at least on iOS11, but I swear it's on 10 as well)

(LTTP) How do these even work? Do you get a full resolution shot of the initial frame + video clip? Or ar the individual full resolution photos stitched together or something?

They're essentially a photo wrapped inside a video. When the option is turned on the camera is always recording, and when you take the photo you get the full resolution photo plus any enhancements (like HDR) and the camera also adds into the photo 1.5 seconds of video beforehand and 1.5 seconds of video after. Then when you go to view the photo you still have the photo you took unaltered, but if you 3D touch/long press on it you can see the moments leading up to the photo and afterwards. iOS 11 adds a ton of enhancements, like being able to change the key photo if there's a moment in the video snips you like better, or to add effects to it like looping or long exposure, or muting the audio (because the video snips include sound) but keep the video itself, etc. iOS 11 makes this shit greater than before, and they were already great

Vuze

I definitely leave it on by default. I find it a lot better to be surprised by a great live photo and have the option of turning it off before sending it to someone than miss out. Turning it off is super easy anyway, especially when iMessaging it to someone. It's literally just an icon you have to tap in the corner before sending (at least on iOS11, but I swear it's on 10 as well)

They're essentially a photo wrapped inside a video. When the option is turned on the camera is always recording, and when you take the photo you get the full resolution photo plus any enhancements (like HDR) and the camera also adds into the photo 1.5 seconds of video beforehand and 1.5 seconds of video after. Then when you go to view the photo you still have the photo you took unaltered, but if you 3D touch/long press on it you can see the moments leading up to the photo and afterwards. iOS 11 adds a ton of enhancements, like being able to change the key photo if there's a moment in the video snips you like better, or to add effects to it like looping or long exposure, or muting the audio (because the video snips include sound) but keep the video itself, etc. iOS 11 makes this shit greater than before, and they were already great
Seems like a no brainer to use if you still get the full res shot and if it doesn't require any fiddling if you want to bring it to your PC etc. I've seen the new processing effects in iOS 11, pretty sweet indeed. My 2017 iPad can take live pics but I didn't toy around with them yet. iPad and photography... eh lol.

Night.Ninja

Banned
few questions

Is there a keyboard like swipe selection

How can i transfer videos from youtube++ to my pc

Is they anyway to get youtube++ on 10.3.2

Vuze

Is they anyway to get youtube++ on 10.3.2
You can download the ipa and sign it with a developer profile using Cydia Impactor, then sideload it. Be aware that the signature will expire after 7 days unless you have a "real" dev account (as in you're paying the 100$ annual fee). In that case I think the cert is valid for a year.

Blackhead

Redarse
how do i transition from the 1Password subscription back to the standalone version? My subscription lapsed and my account is frozen but I already paid for the Pro features before they released this subscription model. Do I have to pay/restore Pro featurrs again? I can't find it in settings or any method/guide for exporting my data...

Night.Ninja

Banned
How do iPhone users cope without swipe selection and why hasn't Apple stolen it yet

Also is there any way to view the iPhones internal files on Windows 10 like you can if you had iFile?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How do iPhone users cope without swipe selection and why hasn't Apple stolen it yet

Also is there any way to view the iPhones internal files on Windows 10 like you can if you had iFile?

Is swipe selection just the ability to move the cursor around by swiping on the keyboard? 3D touch works that way.

No way to browse internal files without being jailbroken.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is swipe selection just the ability to move the cursor around by swiping on the keyboard? 3D touch works that way.

Or hold down in text to bring up a magnifying glass and move with your finger. Or on an iPad two finger swipe on the keyboard to move the cursor

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, i think its basically how the highlighter in ibooks works.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Or hold down in text to bring up a magnifying glass and move with your finger. Or on an iPad two finger swipe on the keyboard to move the cursor

That is so tedious comepared to swipe selection.

Swipe selection and flux were the only reasons I jailbroke now I have night shift but no swipe selection 😔

erawsd

That is so tedious comepared to swipe selection.

Swipe selection and flux were the only reasons I jailbroke now I have night shift but no swipe selection 😔

iOS does have swipe selection. For iPad it’s the same two finger gesture the jailbreak used, on iPhone you “force touch” the keyboard to activate it.

Oynox

Do we have a thread for iOS 11 already?

If not: Can you finally sort notifications by group again instead of by time?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I still don't get 3D touch. I feel like I'm pressing too hard.

you're not. But I actually completely get what you are saying.. after years of being programmed for "long press", we equate long to hard (man don't like where this convo is going...)

just press down on the screen.. harder than you are comfortable with.. fortunately most 3D Touch interactions work incrementally with the increased/varying pressure, so it becomes very natural after a while to know exactly how hard you are pressing down and how hard you need to press down.

but I agree completely.. there is a small learning curve.. but once you get over it, it's a wonderful world.. mouse mode and push to pop are two of the greatest contributions of iOS/iPhone in the last couple of years..

Oynox

I figured that at some points 3D touch features feel like "forced". For example in Instagram, I can also long press a picture to get a preview on my 5S. No need for force touch here.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do we have a thread for iOS 11 already?

If not: Can you finally sort notifications by group again instead of by time?
Come to the Apple Betas thread posted above. No, it's not a feature yet, but the only way we'll ever get it back is if enough of us submit feedback until it is made a feature again. Send feedback every time a version comes out and it's not implemented yet. Obviously they think it wasn't useful enough to keep when they redesigned things a few versions ago. If you want it back, let them know! Tap that purple icon and send your thoughts!

Send your feedback to dear old Captain Apple.

Ambitious

From the 1Password 6.8 release notes:
One-time passwords now copy themselves to the clipboard automatically whenever you fill an item that has a one-time password.

Fuck yeah! Smart idea. Now I just wish support for 1PW within apps was more widespread..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom