• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's weird how my iPad always receives message notifications before my phone does - even SMS. Assuming they're going through the phone, why wouldnthenohine not be surfacing them faster?
I always assumed it bases it on what you're currently using the most. Messages will usually hit my computers first before my phone even makes a sound. And then if I don't acknowledge it on the computer fast enough it'll finally show up on the phone to remind me.

It's weird how my iPad always receives message notifications before my phone does - even SMS. Assuming they're going through the phone, why wouldnthenohine not be surfacing them faster?

For me it's usually:

iPad > Nothing happens for 5 secs > Secondary iPhone, Mac mini > Main iPhone > Apple Watch

If I'm active on my main iPhone, the main iPhone gets the text first, then Apple Watch. Then secs later the rest of the devices.

I always assumed it bases it on what you're currently using the most. Messages will usually hit my computers first before my phone even makes a sound. And then if I don't acknowledge it on the computer fast enough it'll finally show up on the phone to remind me.

This is correct

hirokazu

1Password is great at this too, password manager and 2FA support in one (same standard as Google/Authy). Plus let's you see 2FA codes on your PCs also.
Wait, 1Password does 2FA? I take screenshots of the QR codes and store them in a 1Password secure note for backup, LOL. That's good to know, but Authy is probably better at it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wait, 1Password does 2FA? I take screenshots of the QR codes and store them in a 1Password secure note for backup, LOL. That's good to know, but Authy is probably better at it.

Hehe yeah it does, just go into your login entries and add the One-Time Password section, scan the QR code and that's it. Timed serials show under the passwords afterwards. Must be set up via the phone but once done the 2FA serials are visible in the clients on Windows/Mac as well. I prefer to use 1Password for 2FA since its behind a layer of encryption to get to the codes themselves and it also means less overall apps on my devices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If anything, I really hope iOS 11 fixes the weird "you got mail sound plays when you didn't actually get any mail" bug. I really don't understand why this exists. I know someone else mentioned it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Really? I've never encountered this.
It's so weird. And every time it happens, not only does the screen not light up, but there was literally no new mail. It just randomly decides to play the sound. Someone else said they had it happen too. I don't remember who. And it only started for me when I got my 7+. (Which I set up as new) I have a custom ringtone for my mail and it's only used for mail. So when I hear it, it has to be mail, right? Well it also happens and no other notifications were recent so it's not playing the wrong sound for a different notification. It's just playing the new mail sound whenever it feels like it.

Garou

It's so weird. And every time it happens, not only does the screen not light up, but there was literally no new mail. It just randomly decides to play the sound. Someone else said they had it happen too. I don't remember who. And it only started for me when I got my 7+. (Which I set up as new) I have a custom ringtone for my mail and it's only used for mail. So when I hear it, it has to be mail, right? Well it also happens and no other notifications were recent so it's not playing the wrong sound for a different notification. It's just playing the new mail sound whenever it feels like it.

Are you sure it's not the repeated sound by the green messages-app that repeats the beep after a couple of minutes?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you sure it's not the repeated sound by the green messages-app that repeats the beep after a couple of minutes?
Of course not. A) All my Messages have completely different sounds. B) I don't get many messages, and when I do, I always check and clear them super fast. And C) even if it was, I always check my phone. If there was a number over my Messages app, I'd have known about it from the notification on my screen.

It's a bug plain and simple. It's seemingly random with no set time that it happens. So I can't predict it or stop it. Fortunately it's only occasional. Maybe every two days.

Who do you use as your mail provider?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If you have email fetched on a 15 minute or such delay (like Gmail for example that doesn't support push) the notification sound for that mail will sound off without an associated notification when the email gets pulled to your phone. Maybe this is what you're encountering?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Who do you use as your mail provider?
Gmail and iCloud.

If you have email fetched on a 15 minute or such delay (like Gmail for example that doesn't support push) the notification sound for that mail will sound off without an associated notification when the email gets pulled to your phone. Maybe this is what you're encountering?
Then shouldn't it be doing it all the time? Logically it would be going off every 15 minutes. Or at least once a day.

Gmail and iCloud.

Then shouldn't it be doing it all the time? Logically it would be going off every 15 minutes. Or at least once a day.

Something I've experienced in the past is that I'll get a notification for an iCloud email (I use that as my primary provider) as it hits my inbox and THEN the spam filter shuffles it off to the spam box. Might be what's going on? But you said the screen doesn't light up like a normal email

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Something I've experienced in the past is that I'll get a notification for an iCloud email (I use that as my primary provider) as it hits my inbox and THEN the spam filter shuffles it off to the spam box. Might be what's going on? But you said the screen doesn't light up like a normal email
Who knows. Thing is my iCloud doesn't get email except YouTube notifications. That's all that's set up for it. It never gets anything else. No junk either. And since Gmail does its junk filtering on the server it's not that one either. So I don't think it's that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What happens when you deactivate or delete your email accounts?
I'm not going to try it. The sound is so rare I wouldn't even know if it fixed itself for a week. Why delete my email for a week just to figure out a bug that is only mildly annoying and will hopefully be fixed in iOS 11 if it's even a bug many other people have.

mrkgoo

Looks like iOS10 is going to be the last hurrah for my iPhone 5. They're going 64-bit only with iOS11. It makes sense.

But does that mena I will no longer get app updates from eh App Store as well?

And do we know if Watch OS 4 will sync with iOS 10?

Looks like iOS10 is going to be the last hurrah for my iPhone 5. They're going 64-bit only with iOS11. It makes sense.

But does that mena I will no longer get app updates from eh App Store as well?

And do we know if Watch OS 4 will sync with iOS 10?

I thought 32-bit only app updates were disallowed from the App Store a long time ago

And that I don’t know. I would hope so for all the iPhone 5 Watch owners, but seeing as how that’s the only Watch-capable model not getting iOS 11 I can see them just saying fuck it

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm a bit sad because I just realized even if iOS 11/High Sierra's iCloud Messages feature does merge all my messages from all my devices, I won't even be able to merge the ones that I really wanted to merge because they're on my 5C which can't even update to iOS 11 anyway. So unless there's one last update for 10 that adds that feature in, I guess those messages will have to live forever on my unused 5C and the backup I archived of it before I activated my 7+.

Darn. I'd be curious to play with 11's new storage usage feature and see how big those message threads really are. (They're big. I'm losing a LOT of messages from someone who used to be a friend that I need to keep in case I ever take them to court. Hence why I'm keeping the phone and the backup. I need to find software to properly export the entire message threads to some kind of file that I can read on my computer.)

I'm a bit sad because I just realized even if iOS 11/High Sierra's iCloud Messages feature does merge all my messages from all my devices, I won't even be able to merge the ones that I really wanted to merge because they're on my 5C which can't even update to iOS 11 anyway. So unless there's one last update for 10 that adds that feature in, I guess those messages will have to live forever on my unused 5C and the backup I archived of it before I activated my 7+.

Darn. I'd be curious to play with 11's new storage usage feature and see how big those message threads really are. (They're big. I'm losing a LOT of messages from someone who used to be a friend that I need to keep in case I ever take them to court. Hence why I'm keeping the phone and the backup. I need to find software to properly export the entire message threads to some kind of file that I can read on my computer.)

IExplorer is the one always recommended for that. Can export to PDF and TXT files. Should be a free trial but if not it's $40

mrkgoo

I thought 32-bit only app updates were disallowed from the App Store a long time ago

And that I don’t know. I would hope so for all the iPhone 5 Watch owners, but seeing as how that’s the only Watch-capable model not getting iOS 11 I can see them just saying fuck it

From hat I can see on the website, it says iOS 11 and above for watch OS 4. I just hope they don't keep bugging you to update if you're on iOS 10, only to have it update then no longer sync.

you would think that would be stupid, but they did it with iTunes 12 and iOS9 on Mac OS 10.6 -> iTunes 11 let you go to iOs 9, then it no longer worked with iTunes until you updated to 12, which didn't work on 10.6.

From hat I can see on the website, it says iOS 11 and above for watch OS 4. I just hope they don't keep bugging you to update if you're on iOS 10, only to have it update then no longer sync.

you would think that would be stupid, but they did it with iTunes 12 and iOS9 on Mac OS 10.6 -> iTunes 11 let you go to iOs 9, then it no longer worked with iTunes until you updated to 12, which didn't work on 10.6.

Oof, that's a big oversight. Can't see them doing it again, hopefully...

Ambitious

If anything, I really hope iOS 11 fixes the weird "you got mail sound plays when you didn't actually get any mail" bug. I really don't understand why this exists. I know someone else mentioned it.

Not sure whether it's the same bug, but I always had problems with the email sound and email notifications. Like, sometimes I would receive emails without any notification. Sometimes, I would hear the sound, but the emails did not appear in Mail.app until a few minutes later. Sometimes, the notification would be displayed, but no sound would be played, and/or the emails only showed up minutes later. Sometimes, I would receive two notifications for the same email. And so on.

I'm not going to try it. The sound is so rare I wouldn't even know if it fixed itself for a week. Why delete my email for a week just to figure out a bug that is only mildly annoying and will hopefully be fixed in iOS 11 if it's even a bug many other people have.
"Why try to solve the problem when I can keep moaning about it online?"

Up to you, I guess :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Probably should get an actual iOS11 beta thread going

Thats a good idea, there will be a lot of Hardware and Homepod talk interrupting the iOS Talk.

I actually just wanted to say that I am happy that we can finally personalize the shortcuts, its just sad the the menu now looks a bit shitty :D

Thats a good idea, there will be a lot of Hardware and Homepod talk interrupting the iOS Talk.

I actually just wanted to say that I am happy that we can finally personalize the shortcuts, its just sad the the menu now looks a bit shitty :D

Personalize the shortcuts? You mean control center?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm so happy and excited for it. I've already picked out 4 new icons to add. Would be amazing if Apple opened it up to allow other apps to add icons there too. Kind of like widget support, but something more extra.

Public Beta can't come fast enough.

Something I saw in EverythingApplePro's video today is that the lock screen now has a landscape mode too on the larger phones. Shame there's still a few apps that don't have landscape mode. I personally think all Plus apps at least should have landscape. Some people might want to use their phone exclusively in landscape from time to time. I mean there's really no reason to have a landscape home screen and lock screen if they aren't going to push for all apps (excluding games) to have landscape mode. The Plus should be treated like a miniature iPad.

mrkgoo

SO is it 32-bit only apps that are gone from the App Store by iOS11 release, or universal apps?

If it is all 32-bit apps gone...doesn't that mean I can't restore any apps on my iPhone 5, should I require a restore? Does it mean I can no longer delete and redownload an app? (I would do the latter to clear some crazy big caches apps would accumulate, such as FaceBook and Netflix).

Or maybe I'm panicking prematurely and only 32-bit apps won't work on ios11....

Guess Who

Banned
SO is it 32-bit only apps that are gone from the App Store by iOS11 release, or universal apps?

If it is all 32-bit apps gone...doesn't that mean I can't restore any apps on my iPhone 5, should I require a restore? Does it mean I can no longer delete and redownload an app? (I would do the latter to clear some crazy big caches apps would accumulate, such as FaceBook and Netflix).

Or maybe I'm panicking prematurely and only 32-bit apps won't work on ios11....

Only 32-bit-only apps are delisted from the store. Apps that support both 32 and 64-bit are fine. Also, the apps are still hosted server-side, meaning that while you won't find them if you search for them in the store anymore, you can redownload them from your purchase history (say, if you're still on a 32-bit device).

mrkgoo

Only 32-bit-only apps are delisted from the store. Apps that support both 32 and 64-bit are fine. Also, the apps are still hosted server-side, meaning that while you won't find them if you search for them in the store anymore, you can redownload them from your purchase history (say, if you're still on a 32-bit device).

Oh that's good to hear, cheers!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Delisted is maybe the wrong term to use, 32-bit only apps are still on the store but excluded from search results. If you know the URL for the app page you can still visit it and buy them if so desired.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I had one app that didn't have 64-bit support and it's a game I haven't played in a while anyway, so I just deleted it.

Something I saw in EverythingApplePro's video today is that the lock screen now has a landscape mode too on the larger phones. Shame there's still a few apps that don't have landscape mode. I personally think all Plus apps at least should have landscape. Some people might want to use their phone exclusively in landscape from time to time. I mean there's really no reason to have a landscape home screen and lock screen if they aren't going to push for all apps (excluding games) to have landscape mode. The Plus should be treated like a miniature iPad.

It's my single biggest gripe with iOS as a whole and my single biggest disappointment in iOS11.

I use my phone exclusively in landscape :'(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's my single biggest gripe with iOS as a whole and my single biggest disappointment in iOS11.

I use my phone exclusively in landscape :'(
So many apps still don't use it. Twitter does, but FaceBook doesn't. Apple's own Music app doesn't either. YouTube only uses it for video, but browsing makes you rotate the screen. Then the animation to rotate takes FOREVER. It's a pain in the ass, Google. The Clock app doesn't even rotate.

Vyer

Maybe get not necessarily be mail. It is possible another app doesn't have all the notifications options turned off, where you're just getting sound with no banner or pop up. Might be worth going through your list in settings.

Should I update to 10.3.2? I just got an iPhone 7+ so I don't know if I should treat it as with Android and factory reset it after updating.

Should be fine

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish I could set individual times for notifications

I want outlook, slack and Skype notifications during work hours but not outside of work.

Amazing tidbit from Gruber’s Talk Show Live last night. Apparently they did test rollouts of APFS in 10.1 and 10.2. As part of the upgrade process the phone would convert to APFS, the system would send information back to Apple about how it went and things that went wrong, and then the whole system got converted back to HFS+

Maybe get not necessarily be mail. It is possible another app doesn't have all the notifications options turned off, where you're just getting sound with no banner or pop up. Might be worth going through your list in settings.

Should be fine
Cool.
Nope, just update! Is that a thing with Android??
Not really, but updates sometimes mess up things like battery life so it's a habit by hardcore users to factory reset a device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I might have solved it.

Today at work I heard it go off twice. But checking my lock screen and notifications, nothing at all. Opened Mail and the latest emails weren't even synced with the time of the sound coming in.

So I thought to myself, "what if show in lock screen and NC options are turned off?" though I didn't know why they would be until I remembered I set this up as a new phone when I got it. So I went in and checked and sure enough both accounts were set to not show anything, notification and banner-wise, but still play sounds and show badges. I would have thought that stuff would have synced from my account on iCloud since the account login information themselves did. But apparently not. So I turned banners and notification display back on for both. So that should fix it. Hopefully. At the very least, the sound won't be playing for no reason anymore. Hopefully.

I think I might have solved it.

Today at work I heard it go off twice. But checking my lock screen and notifications, nothing at all. Opened Mail and the latest emails weren't even synced with the time of the sound coming in.

So I thought to myself, "what if show in lock screen and NC options are turned off?" though I didn't know why they would be until I remembered I set this up as a new phone when I got it. So I went in and checked and sure enough both accounts were set to not show anything, notification and banner-wise, but still play sounds and show badges. I would have thought that stuff would have synced from my account on iCloud since the account login information themselves did. But apparently not. So I turned banners and notification display back on for both. So that should fix it. Hopefully. At the very least, the sound won't be playing for no reason anymore. Hopefully.

Notification settings never sync when set up as new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom