• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

mrkgoo

Yeah. The problem is that I already deleted my library, so I don't know what will happen if I try to relink all the files and then sync. lol

I'm afraid to check, to be honest. :(

I've deleted an app entirely and redownloaded it again and I believe done the same by putting the app back before restoring and I believ it doesn't skip a beat, it's like it was never gone.

I think. Not positive.

Photos, PDFs and other types of big documents can take a lot of space if you use iCloud for that sort of stuff.

Hmm, can't say for sure but I think it would be fine. From my experience, all that matters to iTunes is that it still has the app icon existing in the apps section when you sync, even if you don't have a file linked to it, so if you get your library back in there there's a chance it won't make a fuss. Likewise, when I download an app through my phone and sync it, it automatically copies the .ipa to iTunes, and if I remove the .ipa from the Mobile Applications directory it will keep the icon in the library and won't delete it from the device in following syncs.

Hopefully they won't change it haha, it's an integral part for me to keep my SSD free without having to keep a big local backup, and I'm really anal about keeping a backup of my apps due to some problems I had with my Apple ID some time ago (region-related changes, App Store launching in my country, credit card not being accepted in the store I used before, managing more than one account, that sort of stuff). Maybe the apps library works differently because you can only have apps from the App Store and can't add any from other sources, I don't know.

Yah I manage two different store accounts. Can be finicky.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks a bunch. :)
Ok, I recently downloaded Tone Sphere so I still had the .ipa on my computer.

I transferred it to my phone through syncing. Deleted it from the library afterwards, and when I tried to sync again I got the "I'm going to remove Tone Sphere from your device lol, do you want it?" warning. I cancelled. Then I got the .ipa back on the computer and into the library. When I clicked sync again, there was no warning and it synced normally without deleting it from the device. I tried it twice, first with the .ipa still in the Mobile Applications folder, then with nothing in the folder.

Hopefully it works the same for you! I don't know if iTunes would raise any issues with different kinds of apps (for example apps that work with external files like AVPlayer or ComicGlass) but I don't see why it would. Looks like as long as you have the apps in your library and don't get any pop-up warnings you're good to go.

mrkgoo

I transferred it to my phone through syncing. Deleted it from the library afterwards, and when I tried to sync again I got the "I'm going to remove Tone Sphere from your device lol, do you want it?" warning. I cancelled. Then I got the .ipa back on the computer and into the library. When I clicked sync again, there was no warning and it synced normally without deleting it from the device. I tried it twice, first with the .ipa still in the Mobile Applications folder, then with nothing in the folder.

Hopefully it works the same for you! I don't know if iTunes would raise any issues with different kinds of apps (for example apps that work with external files like AVPlayer or ComicGlass) but I don't see why it would. Looks like as long as you have the apps in your library and don't get any pop-up warnings you're good to go.

I assume it didn't 'reinstall' again, and would presumably keep save data intact. I'm sure ive done this very thing many times with the cancelled sync attempt in between.

The main point though is probably that you should have 'automatically sync new apps' to on. As if you add the ipa back to your library and the it's not on then all the apps will be checked off to sync. You want them on.

Fuu

I assume it didn't 'reinstall' again, and would presumably keep save data intact. I'm sure ive done this very thing many times with the cancelled sync attempt in between.

The main point though is probably that you should have 'automatically sync new apps' to on. As if you add the ipa back to your library and the it's not on then all the apps will be checked off to sync. You want them on.
Yeah it didn't seem to reinstall, I was keeping an eye on the transfers and as far as I noticed it only synced Safari data and the usual.

I usually leave auto-sync new apps off because I honestly download too much crap haha, all those free deals in my appshopper wish list. I've been downloading less randomly these days though, I'll probably turn the option on after my iPad arrives this week, then I can just delete anything new that auto-syncs that I don't want to leave installed for some reason (usually a game I won't be playing any time soon that I got because it was free for a day).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've deleted an app entirely and redownloaded it again and I believe done the same by putting the app back before restoring and I believ it doesn't skip a beat, it's like it was never gone.

I think. Not positive.

Yah I manage two different store accounts. Can be finicky.

Wow, thanks guys. Time to copy 40 gigs of files back to my PC. lol

Speaking of which, is there an easy way to uncheck 400+ apps on the sync list, or do I have to go through each one individually? lol

Oh Fuu - another question, what happens if you update an app on the iPhone but have an outdated ipa as a back up on your PC?

mrkgoo

I imagine it would update the app on the pc. Hence 'sync'.

It's like if you downloaded an update onto your device and synced, I would assume it transfer back to the pc.

Mairu

Wow, thanks guys. Time to copy 40 gigs of files back to my PC. lol

Speaking of which, is there an easy way to uncheck 400+ apps on the sync list, or do I have to go through each one individually? lol

Oh Fuu - another question, what happens if you update an app on the iPhone but have an outdated ipa as a back up on your PC?

I believe it transfers the updated one to your computer. In my experience iTunes also leaves older versions on the computer downloaded, which is kind of annoying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I imagine it would update the app on the pc. Hence 'sync'.

It's like if you downloaded an update onto your device and synced, I would assume it transfer back to the pc.
I believe it transfers the updated one to your computer. In my experience iTunes also leaves older versions on the computer downloaded, which is kind of annoying.
I'm wondering if that behaviour is true even if the .ipa is missing. I would hope so anyway. :)

Fuu

I'm wondering if that behaviour is true even if the .ipa is missing. I would hope so anyway. :)
Yep, it is. I knew it from memory from revious backups, but in any case I just updated ComicGlass and Instagram and did a sync to test, it transferred both new .ipa files to the computer and I didn't have either in the Mobile Applications folder previously. It checks which was your latest synced version in the library and transfers anything you downloaded/updated on the iOS device that's syncing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, it is. I knew it from memory from previous backups, but in any case I just updated ComicGlass and Instagram and did a sync to test, it transferred both new .ipa files to the computer and I didn't have either in the Mobile Applications folder previously. It checks which was your latest synced version in the library and transfers anything you downloaded/updated on the iOS device that's syncing.
Wow, that's tremendously useful for keeping up to date stuff as well. Here's one last question (I hope). What happens if the iTunes tries to sync from an app that isn't there because you deleted/moved the ipa? Does it just skip that app?

mrkgoo

Actually now that I think about it, if youdelete apps from a synced computer, then try to sync a device I recall in some instances that it offers to transfer the apps from the device to the pc.

In what situations will it prompt to delete from device and what prompts to transfer back?

Could you not just plug in the device am before syncing, right click the device in itunes and transfer purchases?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like every time you make a change on the itunes library side, it will tell you that it will delete files on the iphone. At least that has been my experience this past week anyway.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Holy shit I just posted in the wrong thread. I'm drunk. Wine.

mrkgoo

I feel like every time you make a change on the itunes library side, it will tell you that it will delete files on the iphone. At least that has been my experience this past week anyway.
I know this, but I'm certain I've seen it ask me if I want to transfer apps back to iTunes after deleting them in iTunes.

At any rate, if your pc is the sync base fr that iPhone, you should be able to manually transfer back to the pc by right clicking on your iPhone when plugged in tO iTunes.

Fuu

Wow, that's tremendously useful for keeping up to date stuff as well. Here's one last question (I hope). What happens if the iTunes tries to sync from an app that isn't there because you deleted/moved the ipa? Does it just skip that app?
Yeah, I believe it just does a library check and outright disregards if the .ipa is there. If the app on the device is the same version as the one in the library, it skips; if the one on the device is a new version, it transfers the .ipa to the computer.

Actually now that I think about it, if youdelete apps from a synced computer, then try to sync a device I recall in some instances that it offers to transfer the apps from the device to the pc.

In what situations will it prompt to delete from device and what prompts to transfer back?

Could you not just plug in the device am before syncing, right click the device in itunes and transfer purchases?

I believe the difference here is if you had the app on the computer from before or not. If it was never on the library, it will assume you bought it on the iOS device and will add it. If it was on your library before and you deleted it, it will assume you'll also want to delete it from the device because you don't want it anymore.

I deleted an app from the library and before syncing I used the "transfer purchases" options and it worked like mrkgoo suggested, it transferred the app back to the computer. But then, when I tried to sync after the transfer, it still said the app would be deleted from the phone. This happened because the app had disappeared from the library, which also got it unchecked from the "apps to sync" list. So I just manually dragged it back to the iPhone from the library and it synced normally without any prompts for deletion.

mrkgoo

Yeah, I believe it just does a library check and outright disregards if the .ipa is there. If the app on the device is the same version as the one in the library, it skips; if the one on the device is a new version, it transfers the .ipa to the computer.

I believe the difference here is if you had the app on the computer from before or not. If it was never on the library, it will assume you bought it on the iOS device and will add it. If it was on your library before and you deleted it, it will assume you'll also want to delete it from the device because you don't want it anymore.

I deleted an app from the library and before syncing I used the "transfer purchases" options and it worked like mrkgoo suggested, it transferred the app back to the computer. But then, when I tried to sync after the transfer, it still said the app would be deleted from the phone. This happened because the app had disappeared from the library, which also got it unchecked from the "apps to sync" list. So I just manually dragged it back to the iPhone from the library and it synced normally without any prompts for deletion.
I'm not so sure. I'm positive I've deleted an app from the library before then synced and it asked me to transfer back.

Maybe it was like if I deleted while it was unplugged, thus not updating the sync list (which resides on the device I assume) vs doing t while it's plugged.

Fuu

I'm not so sure. I'm positive I've deleted an app from the library before then synced and it asked me to transfer back.

Maybe it was like if I deleted while it was unplugged, thus not updating the sync list (which resides on the device I assume) vs doing t while it's plugged.
Ah, I was about to edit my post because I misunderstood what you meant. You mean getting the transfer purchases prompt even if you deleted the app yourself from iTunes. Yeah, I don't really know what makes it give either the transfer or the delete warnings, but it probably has something to do with the sync list or some other check the program does not being updated yet. I'm glad we know how to work around it though, and that for any eventual deletion shenanigans there's the manual "transfer purchases" option when you right click the device on iTunes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, here's a weird one. I downloaded Canabalt on my iPhone but when I try to sync it to iTunes, it gives me the "Canabalt will be deleted from the device, etc, ect" warning. Is there something I need to do to get iTunes to copy the app from the phone to the PC?

Quick

Banned
When accessing the App Store, is the password prompt supposed to keep popping up? I haven't pressed anything to download or update, yet it randomly pops up.

Fuu

Well, here's a weird one. I downloaded Canabalt on my iPhone but when I try to sync it to iTunes, it gives me the "Canabalt will be deleted from the device, etc, ect" warning. Is there something I need to do to get iTunes to copy the app from the phone to the PC?
Try right clicking the iPhone on iTunes an select "transfer purchases from iPhone", see if it makes the transfer for anything that's not in the library. It should be able to sync normally after that.

When accessing the App Store, is the password prompt supposed to keep popping up? I haven't pressed anything to download or update, yet it randomly pops up.
I've seen it happen sometimes, I always assumed it had to do with some log session expiring. It should go away after you type your password though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Try right clicking the iPhone on iTunes an select "transfer purchases from iPhone", see if makes the transfer of anything that's not in the library. It should be able to sync normally after that.

I see it now. Is that something I need to do every time I buy something on the phone that I don't have on the PC?

And thanks, you saved me a lot of headaches earlier. Now I just need to figure out the whole second PC thing. lol

Fuu

I see it now. Is that something I need to do every time I buy something on the phone that I don't have on the PC?

And thanks, you saved me a lot of headaches earlier. Now I just need to figure out the whole second PC thing. lol
It shouldn't be necessary, if the other apps sync smoothly then anything new you bought on the phone should be added to the library with the .ipa automatically being transferred to the computer. Not sure why that happened with Canabalt but hopefully after this last sync it will work properly.

And no prob! Good luck with the second PC stuff, I don't have much knowledge on that front but maybe some of those alternate iOS file managers like iFunBox can be of help.

Quick

Banned
I've seen it happen sometimes, I always assumed it had to do with some log session expiring. It should go away after you type your password though.

That's actually probably it. Wouldn't mind if Apple added a setting to the Store to enable and disable the password prompt when downloading apps. If Sony can do it for the PS Store, I'm sure Apple can, too. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It shouldn't be necessary, if the other apps sync smoothly then anything new you bought on the phone should be added to the library with the .ipa automatically being transferred to the computer. Not sure why that happened with Canabalt but hopefully after this last sync it will work properly.

And no prob! Good luck with the second PC stuff, I don't have much knowledge on that front but maybe some of those alternate iOS file managers like iFunBox can be of help.
Ah, thanks for that suggestion and your help. :)

I'm really liking shared photo stream...if only i had people to use it with. Anyone want to start a neogaf shared photo stream with me?

mrkgoo

I mentioned the manual several times above :(

Anyway, the process for a new PC is similar, you authorise your computer with your account, then transfer the purchases, then perform a backup or something, then sync.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm really liking shared photo stream...if only i had people to use it with. Anyone want to start a neogaf shared photo stream with me?
It can't have more than two people participating, can it? If so, that would be awesome. Sucks if not. But yeah, i've yet to even try that feature. Do you send me an invite or something to try it out or what?

If so, quote this post to see my apple id: Interested to see how it works exactly.

dyls

It can't have more than two people participating, can it? If so, that would be awesome. Sucks if not. But yeah, i've yet to even try that feature. Do you send me an invite or something to try it out or what?

If so, quote this post to see my apple id: Interested to see how it works exactly.

You can share a photo stream with multiple people. Unfortunately, you can't have multiple people contribute to the stream. So I have one that I share with my wife, and she has a separate one that she shares with me. Both show up on iPhoto on my Mac.

It would definitely be better if we could have just one photo stream that we both added pictures to. Hopefully that will come in a future update. Because otherwise it works really well.

mrkgoo

I've been using shared photostream with friends (from Aperture).

I just make some albums in Photostream, then invite some friends. They join, and the album shows up in their device. No muss, no fuss. It just works.

Shared facebook/flickr albums....not so elegant.

noah111

Still Alive
Ahh, I see. They definitely should have 'group' photo streams as opposed to shared.

Also, you need to explicitly invite the user via their apple id, right? i.e. You can't just give out an address or something for anyone to join in viewing (like tumblr)? That would be neat.

Quick

Banned
Ahh, I see. They definitely should have 'group' photo streams as opposed to shared.

Also, you need to explicitly invite the user via their apple id, right? i.e. You can't just give out an address or something for anyone to join in viewing (like tumblr)? That would be neat.

You can set it to publish photos on iCloud.com, and anyone can look from there.

This is going to be a bit of a hit and run from an android user.

I played around with an iphone 5 yesterday and ios is damn smoooooth. Jelly Bean did wonders to Android and my Nexus is quick, near lag free, but you can definitely tell a difference in the smoothness of ios. Give me the smoothness of ios on Android and I'm in heaven.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mentioned the manual several times above :(

Anyway, the process for a new PC is similar, you authorise your computer with your account, then transfer the purchases, then perform a backup or something, then sync.
Missed that, sorry!

Actually, I want to be able to concurrently use two PCs at the same time. I know it involves essentially replacing the library file on one computer... I just have to figure out if it's worth deleting all my iTunes playlists and music library settings in order to do it.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm still dumbfounded at how incompetent the music app is in landscape. After all this change, it's still just as behind as before. Even visually. :lol

The music app is the only one I actually go and activate the orientation lock for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Happy to report wifi has been broken for me since iOS 6. I can use wifi on networks that either don't ask for anything and connect automatically or networks I put in a password. Anything where a screen would pop and you would have to agree to terms, it doesn't work now. On my iPhone 5 and new iPad
Yep. Seems they broke the feature where it will pop up the login screen if you connect to a network that requires you to accept terms and agreements. Which sucks. There was a discussion about that page it used to determine this a while ago. Every time an iOS app requested a network connection it would check for a WiFi network. If it found one it knew, it would attempt to connect to a page on Apple's website and if it returned the page correctly, it would assume you didn't need to log in. But if it couldn't retrieve the page, it would pop up a window with whatever login page the network had. But it no longer does this which sucks because my workplace has one of these stupid login screens (Just a button to accept the terms) and it was so much easier when it popped up automatically as soon as I opened Twitter or Chrome. Now I end up sticking to Edge unless I'm desperate and actually go to the trouble to open Settings > WiFi > Network name > Wait for the page to open > Wait for the page to load > Press the button and wait for it to log me in. Fix it, Apple!

Also, I have an actual problem. For some reason, only my iPhone, not my iPad, will not show up in my iTunes sidebar unless I reboot at least once a day. I don't know why. Makes no sense. And completely defeats the purpose of WiFi syncing and not requiring a cable. It's a minor inconvenience, but still. Fix it too, Apple! Anyone else have this? It's only my iPhone. My iPad never doesn't show up. Just my iPhone. Don't know why.

When are Apple going to allow password protection on folders? There are good reasons why they should do this in addition to having the initial lock-screen when you bring it out of sleep.

1. Having confidential work development on the phone (my situation)
2. Having apps which are unsuitable for children

With 1, lots of users are carrying out confidential data/apps on their phone now, a little bit more protection would be welcome. You might leave your phone unlocked for a minute, or people do generally pick up phones to see what games you have or whatever. Regarding 2, lots of people allow their children to play games on their phone/tablet so having lockout on age restricted apps so be possible. Just like PS3/360 does with games and movies. Some apps already have additional password protection, such as Dropbox which is great, Apple should sort out an official folder password protection option.

mrkgoo

Do you have any idea how many people you can share streams with?

I'm not sure, I imagine many.

Yeah, it's not really group, as you are the only controller or the album, others' just look and comment.
Yes, you have to invite them....

You can set it to publish photos on iCloud.com, and anyone can look from there.

...but there's this too.

MasLegio

Banned
When are Apple going to allow password protection on folders? There are good reasons why they should do this in addition to having the initial lock-screen when you bring it out of sleep.

1. Having confidential work development on the phone (my situation)
2. Having apps which are unsuitable for children

With 1, lots of users are carrying out confidential data/apps on their phone now, a little bit more protection would be welcome. You might leave your phone unlocked for a minute, or people do generally pick up phones to see what games you have or whatever. Regarding 2, lots of people allow their children to play games on their phone/tablet so having lockout on age restricted apps so be possible. Just like PS3/360 does with games and movies. Some apps already have additional password protection, such as Dropbox which is great, Apple should sort out an official folder password protection option.

it still would be possible to access the apps through Spotlight. Unless all apps in the protected folder automatically requires a password as a result of them being in a protected app.

Number45

Does anyone know if they're intending to fix the issue where you can't delete tracks from the phone if you have iTunes Match enabled?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310579?start=0&tstart=0

Not sure if it's been acknowledged yet.

it still would be possible to access the apps through Spotlight. Unless all apps in the protected folder automatically requires a password as a result of them being in a protected app.

Yep, lock them out from Spotlight.

I like how in BB10 there is a Home Screen switcher for Business and Personal. Perfect, password protect Business and that would work. But still, password protected or even hidden folders unlocked somehow would be massively beneficial.

Tabris

A quick question on iTunes match. What stops an unethical person from signing up for iTunes match, having all of their music matched, then deleting all of their non-purchased music and downloading the matched version and then cancelling their iTunes match account? Essentially replacing all of their non-purchased music with purchased music?

Someone had just mentioned to me this was possible and it blew my mind as what is stopping someone from pirating music and then having iTunes match give them purchased copies for their pirated music except for ethics and convenience?

Note - I buy my music through itunes exclusively (so convenient now too when I can buy from one device and have it synced on all of my devices), so I don't think iTunes match is worth it for me as there isn't much old music from CDs I haven't replaced with purchased music already manually, but I would be curious why the music labels/Apple allows this. Is this one of those if they already pirating, may as well get some money from them concept?

LCfiner

Nothing technically stops someone from doing this. Apple and the record companies knew this was something that could happen.

However, one of the nice things about itunes match is how it syncs and pushes all metadata changes across devices without any need to manually sync to iTunes. so it's very tempting to just stick with itunes match indefinitely for the convenience and keep paying the modest ~25 dollar yearly fee.

Interfectum

forget maps, the worst part about this iOS6 upgrade is the podcast app bullshit.

you cant download podcasts through the iPhone itunes anymore you have to use their shitty podcast app. the thing is buggy as fuck too. the podcast app will turn on after every phone call i make. why force me to use that piece of shit app?

LCfiner

If this means it will things like rating and play count (how I organize my smart playlists), then that's brilliant and make be worth the $30 bucks on that alone.

it means rating, playcount, lyrics, album, artist, comments, genre, playlists, etc.

it's not bad.

Vyer

forget maps, the worst part about this iOS6 upgrade is the podcast app bullshit.

you cant download podcasts through the iPhone itunes anymore you have to use their shitty podcast app. the thing is buggy as fuck too. the podcast app will turn on after every phone call i make. why force me to use that piece of shit app?

You're not forced to, use something like Downcast.

Top Bottom