• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

LCfiner

forget maps, the worst part about this iOS6 upgrade is the podcast app bullshit.

you cant download podcasts through the iPhone itunes anymore you have to use their shitty podcast app. the thing is buggy as fuck too. the podcast app will turn on after every phone call i make. why force me to use that piece of shit app?

You're not forced to, use something like Downcast.

I deleted the podcast app and am back to using the music app with the podcast tab, just like iOS 5. (If i didn't need the desktop itunes sync, I would likely use something like downcast or instacast)

It seems like you can no longer hide purchases/downloads from the previous purchases link.

It is a necessary feature since I don't want bad games clogging up a huge list. Did I miss something?

Interfectum

I deleted the podcast app and am back to using the music app with the podcast tab, just like iOS 5.

The problem with that is when I go to download a new podcast (from the music app), it takes me to itunes but when i choose to download the podcast it redirects me to download the podcast app instead of just downloading the podcast like it used to. Very annoying.

LCfiner

The problem with that is when I go to download a new podcast (from the music app), it takes me to itunes but when i choose to download the podcast it redirects me to download the podcast app instead of just downloading the podcast like it used to. Very annoying.

ooooohhh. i didn't know it did that. yeah, that's pretty bad. Since i still manage podcasts within itunes, I don't see that issue.

mrkgoo

A quick question on iTunes match. What stops an unethical person from signing up for iTunes match, having all of their music matched, then deleting all of their non-purchased music and downloading the matched version and then cancelling their iTunes match account? Essentially replacing all of their non-purchased music with purchased music?

Someone had just mentioned to me this was possible and it blew my mind as what is stopping someone from pirating music and then having iTunes match give them purchased copies for their pirated music except for ethics and convenience?

Note - I buy my music through itunes exclusively (so convenient now too when I can buy from one device and have it synced on all of my devices), so I don't think iTunes match is worth it for me as there isn't much old music from CDs I haven't replaced with purchased music already manually, but I would be curious why the music labels/Apple allows this. Is this one of those if they already pirating, may as well get some money from them concept?

Here is the scenario you mention:

Pirate pirates music. Pays $30 and gets all legit music. Music label, Apple, artists (lol) get a cut.

Here's the other scenario:

Pirate pirates music.

Vyer

Yeah but I liked simply using the music app. Worked perfect for my needs. Just seems like a pointless change.

The apps were around (and much preferable imo) even before the new podcast app. What would you say your needs are? Because the dedicated apps do a pretty good job of managing podcast subscriptions. No need to do anything outside of the device itself, easy layouts, you can set your downloading preferences (number of episodes, download or streaming choices, etc.), extras like playlists, good control options when listening to a podcast, searching and adding new podcasts all within the app...just a lot of options. As someone who listens to podcasts pretty much every day I find it very useful.

Blackhead

Redarse
It seems like you can no longer hide purchases/downloads from the previous purchases link.

It is a necessary feature since I don't want bad games clogging up a huge list. Did I miss something?

Nope, another downgrade from the previous appstore app. After finding out I could no longer search through the purchase list I also tried hiding apps to no avail :/

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
for those on iOS6, how does the Music app handle iTunes Match song files? do they actually stream the song a la rdio or spotify, or is it still just a glorified 'play while download' feature that treats the song when finished as a downloaded file?

noah111

Still Alive
Nope, another downgrade from the previous appstore app. After finding out I could no longer search through the purchase list I also tried hiding apps to no avail :/
If it means that much to you, you could always remove them via iTunes instead. But yeah, stupid of them to remove something so trivial.

Tabris

it means rating, playcount, lyrics, album, artist, comments, genre, playlists, etc.

it's not bad.

I have switched everything to iTunes match and I can't get play count to sync on my downloaded but matched/purchased songs. Does it only sync on songs only in the cloud? Everything else seems to sync.

The other thing that doesn't sync is playlist song order which is a bit annoying.

Otherwise this service is brilliant!

noah111

Still Alive
IMG_0286n.png
a man can dream

Blackhead

Redarse
If it means that much to you, you could always remove them via iTunes instead. But yeah, stupid of them to remove something so trivial.

I doesn't mean that much to me at all; I didn't even plan to use it until the search feature was removed. But all these "trivial" poor usability decisions add up to a death by a thousand cuts and that's disappointing coming from Apple.

Number45

Not sure if this is an iOS6 thing, or a Tweetbot thing, but is anyone else having poorer iCloud sync since the last update of both? I think it might be because the 3G streaming is gone, and the secret handshake doesn't seem to work any more. :(

I deleted the podcast app and am back to using the music app with the podcast tab, just like iOS 5. (If i didn't need the desktop itunes sync, I would likely use something like downcast or instacast)
This probably won't work for everyone's needs, but my podcast management goes like this:

I use Downcast to manage the files on my iPhone, and then airplay them using Airserver to both Mac & PC when I want to listen through computer speakers. I've completely eliminated iTunes from the equation. It's all done through my phone now. Downcast can use iCloud to sync between iOS devices too, if you need that kind of synchronization as well.

I really like doing it this way.

Has anyone gotten a shared photo stream to work? I can't get the invitations to go out, have tried a few times now. Am I doing something wrong? Is something supposed to happen when I click "resend sharing invitation," or is that just automatic? I kind of expected it to pop up an email I'd be able to edit, but it isn't doing that.

Carlisle

I sent out a Shared Photostream invite to my wife and the confirmation email Apple sent her was entirely in Spanish. Any idea why that might be? All my settings on all Macs and devices are English, and on iCloud.com as well. Always have been. I do have a Spanish keyboard option enabled on my iPad to make emailing my mom and family easier, but English is still default and all other language settings and displays are English.

Edit: Got it sorted. Apparently there's a language option on your Apple ID at the Apple website. Gotta log in and go through it like you're trying to change your username or pass and then you'll see language. No idea how it got changed to Spanish though.

A quick question on iTunes match. What stops an unethical person from signing up for iTunes match, having all of their music matched, then deleting all of their non-purchased music and downloading the matched version and then cancelling their iTunes match account? Essentially replacing all of their non-purchased music with purchased music?

Someone had just mentioned to me this was possible and it blew my mind as what is stopping someone from pirating music and then having iTunes match give them purchased copies for their pirated music except for ethics and convenience?

Note - I buy my music through itunes exclusively (so convenient now too when I can buy from one device and have it synced on all of my devices), so I don't think iTunes match is worth it for me as there isn't much old music from CDs I haven't replaced with purchased music already manually, but I would be curious why the music labels/Apple allows this. Is this one of those if they already pirating, may as well get some money from them concept?

The music files will likely be locked when you stop being a Match subscriber if you resync your account.

LCfiner

The music files will likely be locked when you stop being a Match subscriber if you resync your account.

nope

There's no DRM at all.

bingo.

you're paying every year to gain the OTA access to any music file on any machine. but that conversion from previously obtained music files in low res to matched higher res files, is always available on the machines they're downloaded to, even if you've quit the service

Epix

Strange.....since iOS6 my phone no longer rings for unknown callers. Did something change that would affect this? Any help would be appreciated.

Tedesco!

I still can't get over what a hot mess iOS 6 is, as it pertains to my needs. The podcast app is garbage, and now every time I try to add music from iCloud, my entire music library on my phone gets erased.

SuperPac

I still can't get over what a hot mess iOS 6 is, as it pertains to my needs. The podcast app is garbage, and now every time I try to add music from iCloud, my entire music library on my phone gets erased.

I'm assuming you're an iTunes Match user? Or are you downloading single songs from the iTunes store that you'd purchased but didn't have on your device?

When I signed up for iTunes Match I had music on my phone - when I activated it it gave me the warning that it would erase music on my phone but it didn't actually delete music that was Matched.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Quick question: I finally got around to fully activating all iCloud features, but now there's a "Bookmarks Bar" folder in my bookmarks in Safari on my iPhone that is completely useless and won't let me delete it. How do I get rid of this thing?

Marleyman

Banned
My 4s battery died for good as soon as I downloaded ios 6. Took it to the local Apple Store, got a new one and this battery is dying off so quickly.

Vyer

I thought Match would stream now and not download the songs unless you manually did so? Anything I've listened to is appearing on the phone as downloaded...with no way to delete?

My 4s battery died for good as soon as I downloaded ios 6. Took it to the local Apple Store, got a new one and this battery is dying off so quickly.

Weird, I could have sworn mine has improved since upgrading to iOS 6.

I'm sitting at 80% with my phone being used pretty frequently and uncharged since 8:00 am this morning.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I thought Match would stream now and not download the songs unless you manually did so? Anything I've listened to is appearing on the phone as downloaded...with no way to delete?

It auto-deletes if space is needed by other downloads/installed apps.

But you can delete via Settings > General > Usage > Music.

Tedesco!

I'm assuming you're an iTunes Match user? Or are you downloading single songs from the iTunes store that you'd purchased but didn't have on your device?

When I signed up for iTunes Match I had music on my phone - when I activated it it gave me the warning that it would erase music on my phone but it didn't actually delete music that was Matched.

I am an iTunes match user. I would get the warning previously, but nothing ever happened. I went to download more songs from the cloud, and BOOM, deleted everything.

I can't understand how Apple can get so much wrong with iOS. The podcasts app, Maps, the app store, Siri and non-local voice recognition. It really boggles the mind.

Top Bottom