• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Shearie

Odd, just turned it on for mine (4s) and it's working fine. Super Hexagon first suggestion!

It's not a widespread problem but for people like me that do have it there's pretty much nothing we can do to fix it besides waiting for a future software update. The only other thing I can think of that might fix it is to delete my iCloud backup and restore the iPhone so all the software is brand new but FUCK ALL THAT I'll just wait for the update to this very minor problem.

Could someone explain how syncing podcasts works between iTunes and the podcasts app? I have the setting turned on in the app bur I don't know what else to do from there.

LCfiner

Could someone explain how syncing podcasts works between iTunes and the podcasts app? I have the setting turned on in the app bur I don't know what else to do from there.

It doesn't.

Syncing will be via iCloud and the new iTunes at the end of October.

Till then, delete the iOS app and continue to use the podcast tab in te music app

KingKong

So am I the only one having trouble downloading podcasts with Podcasts.app? Everything else (app downloads, 3rd party app downloads) works just fine

I already deleted and installed Podcasts and signed in and out of my Apple account

For day to day use I wish the Notification screen could be the default screen on iPhone.

You have dynamic weather, your messages and mail, facebook and twitter messages, and whatever else you want. Also, instant Tweet and Post options. Then swipe down for the apps.

I mean, why not?

It doesn't.

Syncing will be via iCloud and the new iTunes at the end of October.

Till then, delete the iOS app and continue to use the podcast tab in te music app

Thanks. This podcasts app has been so half-asssed since they released it. And I would delete it but podcasts don't show up at all in the music app now, with or without podcasts app.

KingKong

Thanks. This podcasts app has been so half-asssed since they released it. And I would delete it but podcasts don't show up at all in the music app now, with or without podcasts app.

They should show up, try restarting Music.app. I think you need to have the actual files on the phone to have it show up though

Enco

Odd, works fine for me. On a 4S.

Works for me. I have an iphone5

This happens to my 4S as well. It also crashes every time I go to the purchased section. I even did a restore and it still didn't fix it. It's not a huge problem since both of those sections aren't all that important but it's annoying none the less. I chatted with an Apple Genius about it the other day and he said a few people came in with the same problem and there's no fix for it right now but supposedly Apple has told them that they're coming with a software update real soon with some bug fixes so hopefully all will be well after that.
That's odd.

The Purchased tab doesn't work either. Pretty ridiculous. I have two useless buttons now, lost the ability to easily look up transit times and can no longer delete single songs (iTunes Match).

Mairu

The TwitchTV app is asscheeks on iOS6.

Want to change the resolution manually?

straight the springboard.

Sucks for now, but have you tried loading streams from the Twitch site? I'm pretty sure they made it possible to open streams from Safari recently, and that might make do until the update comes out.

For day to day use I wish the Notification screen could be the default screen on iPhone.

You have dynamic weather, your messages and mail, facebook and twitter messages, and whatever else you want. Also, instant Tweet and Post options. Then swipe down for the apps.

I mean, why not?

Because that would mean change, something apple obviously isn't big on

LCfiner

Because that would mean change, something apple obviously isn't big on

and the millions of non technically inclined people who are familiar and happy with the app screen as home.

I know what you're going to say: "make it an option". Every option creates complexity and removes focus from other priorities.

and the millions of non technically inclined people who are familiar and happy with the app screen as home.

I know what you're going to say: "make it an option". Every option creates complexity and removes focus from other priorities.

Have you seen hw many options are available in the settings?

mrkgoo

I love the home screen apps. It represents how the phone is a flexible device, with a flexible 'changing' button scheme. Each app is a button to 'do stuff'. Simple. Elegant. I'm not super big into making it LOOK like a mini computer with excessive glanceable information. I kind of want them to be a swipe away.

That said, some work on the lock screen and search screen would be nice.

And I'm not a fan of excessive options. Too much choice can overwhelm, not really from a confusion perspective for me, but sort of like I get decision paralysis. Of course, there are some options you HAVE to have, and with the platform being so mature, the settings options is the result.

tmdorsey

I love the home screen apps. It represents how the phone is a flexible device, with a flexible 'changing' button scheme. Each app is a button to 'do stuff'. Simple. Elegant. I'm not super big into making it LOOK like a mini computer with excessive glanceable information. I kind of want them to be a swipe away.

And I'm not a fan of excessive options. Too much choice can overwhelm, not really from a confusion perspective for me, but sort of like I get decision paralysis. Of course, there are some options you HAVE to have, and with the platform being so mature, the settings options is the result.

Well said.

nitric0

Apologies if this has been asked already but is there anyway to downgrade to iOS5? My Ipad 2 has become slower, the wifi isn't functioning properly and youtube.com doesn't fullscreen anymore ever since I upgraded. I searched online but they require jailbreaking which I don't want to.

Any ideas?

Bo-Locks

Has anybody successfully synced iCloud and Gmail contacts? I have both accounts set up but when I edit a contact, it seems to only edit the iCloud part, and the Gmail contacts remain untouched. I can manually edit the gmail contacts, but it won't do them simultaneously. I have the gmail account set up as an exchange account.

Has there been a fix announced yet for the dogass battery life that the 4S gets with iOS6? I've tried disabling a lot of the location services, and found some posts online that restoring it as a new phone and hitting "Reset all settings" fixes it, but if anything, it's getting worse. Seems like the location services arrow is in the status bar pretty dang often, even if the only things using it are Maps and Traffic.

Number45

Has there been a fix announced yet for the dogass battery life that the 4S gets with iOS6? I've tried disabling a lot of the location services, and found some posts online that restoring it as a new phone and hitting "Reset all settings" fixes it, but if anything, it's getting worse. Seems like the location services arrow is in the status bar pretty dang often, even if the only things using it are Maps and Traffic.
Do you have any location based reminders enabled (or even not deleted)? My battery life has been fine on my 4s since the upgrade - before I charged it today it was at ~4.5hrs usage and ~19hrs standby, with the battery at about 10%.

MasLegio

Banned

The problem is that many settings that should be one swipe away are multiple swipes away and also sometimes requires scrolling as well.

Number45

The problem is that many settings that should be one swipe away are multiple swipes away and also sometimes requires scrolling as well.
Yep, personally I like the home screen but I would really like to be able to hit wifi/hotspot/bluetooth etc. on/off buttons much quicker. A step in the right direction moving some of them to the main settings list - but allowing me to place them in the notifications would be even better.

Do you have any location based reminders enabled (or even not deleted)? My battery life has been fine on my 4s since the upgrade - before I charged it today it was at ~4.5hrs usage and ~19hrs standby, with the battery at about 10%.

I did have an old location based reminder in there. I just deleted it. Thanks for the protip.

noah111

Still Alive
cLPYe.jpg

I wonder what she could possibly mean...

Mindwipe

Given Apple's priorities in iOS6 all seem to have been a bit of a disaster, removing their focus from there would seem to be a good idea.

But hey, thinking about how people access information and building a good UI is hard. Much easier to spend time on your strategic priority of changing the colours around so it's a muddled mess, or making search results appear one at a time.

If they were spending time on the fundamental work iOS needs you might have a point, but they're not.

Identity management, file management, app updating, subscription downloading, intelligent location based awareness, Game Center's crippling loading overhead, the hiding of settings in a settings app rather than the app that uses them, the hundreds of little UI things that have need fixing for years... iOS has a number of quite fundamental problems. Most of which are untouched or not really got to grips with in iOS6.

Nicktendo86

Given Apple's priorities in iOS6 all seem to have been a bit of a disaster, removing their focus from there would seem to be a good idea.

But hey, thinking about how people access information and building a good UI is hard. Much easier to spend time on your strategic priority of changing the colours around so it's a muddled mess, or making search results appear one at a time.

If they were spending time on the fundamental work iOS needs you might have a point, but they're not.

Identity management, file management, app updating, subscription downloading, intelligent location based awareness, Game Center's crippling loading overhead, the hiding of settings in a settings app rather than the app that uses them, the hundreds of little UI things that have need fixing for years... iOS has a number of quite fundamental problems. Most of which are untouched or not really got to grips with in iOS6.

This post explains the deficiencies and my problems with iOS better than I ever could. Well said.

Recon

Banned

I actually like it that way. It is rather convenient when you want to change a few things without going into a specific app.

Nicktendo86

I actually like it that way. It is rather convenient when you want to change a few things without going into a specific app.
This has infuriated me many times though when I am in an app and want to quickly change a setting like notifications and I have to go out of the app, open settings etc. Its so unintuitive its unreal.

noah111

Still Alive
This has infuriated me many times though when I am in an app and want to quickly change a setting like notifications and I have to go out of the app, open settings etc. Its so unintuitive its unreal.
Most apps don't have room to add a settings icon or separate pane/directory for those types of options that you would rarely ever change after the first time.

I do agree with Mindwipe on pretty much everything else, though.

Mindwipe

Most apps don't have room to add a settings icon or separate pane/directory for those types of options that you would rarely ever change after the first time.

I do agree with Mindwipe on pretty much everything else, though.

There has to be a balance. For most apps it's fine, but in particular I was thinking of three particularily dumb examples:

1) Creating a private browsing tab in Safari is just absolutely insanely difficult. Why the heck isn't the control for that *in Safari* where it belongs? It should be a selection box underneath each tab in Safari's tab switcher.

2) If you're the sort of person who cares about EQ settings, they're something that need changing on a regular basis. So why can't they be accessed in the Music app, rather than having to go through the clumsy navigation to get there?

3) Do Not Disturb is actually quite a nice feature (though not explained well - I've had loads of non-techy friends ask me what it actually does). But again, why is it in the settings app rather than being a tab inside the notification centre where it should be?

Fox1304

Still can't use iTunes match on my iPhone 4 since the 6.0 update.
All my songs and playlists are there, but they all are 0:00s long, have no cover, and aren't playable.
Is this a know issue and is there a fix ?
( Tried on/off-ing iTunes match, waiting a long time, rebooting, and a few other things ... )

no angel

I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies in advance but has anything been said about the Bluetooth audio streaming issues ios6 has created? My wife's gutted she can no longer stream to her Sony speaker dock and is itching for it to be fixed.

Shearie

There has to be a balance. For most apps it's fine, but in particular I was thinking of three particularily dumb examples:

1) Creating a private browsing tab in Safari is just absolutely insanely difficult. Why the heck isn't the control for that *in Safari* where it belongs? It should be a selection box underneath each tab in Safari's tab switcher.

2) If you're the sort of person who cares about EQ settings, they're something that need changing on a regular basis. So why can't they be accessed in the Music app, rather than having to go through the clumsy navigation to get there?

3) Do Not Disturb is actually quite a nice feature (though not explained well - I've had loads of non-techy friends ask me what it actually does). But again, why is it in the settings app rather than being a tab inside the notification centre where it should be?

I really don't get where you're coming from at all. All three of those are complete non-problems.

I'd say all 3 are valid complaints.

I know it pretty much goes without saying, but the amount of effort you need to go to to change brightness in iOS (outside of iPad) is ridiculous. They really need to just swallow their pride and put settings in the notification centre and not worry about how unoriginal it is. I can only assume the reason they haven't is that they don't want to rip off every aspect of Android's notification drop down.

tmdorsey

I know it pretty much goes without saying, but the amount of effort you need to go to to change brightness in iOS (outside of iPad) is ridiculous. They really need to just swallow their pride and put settings in the notification centre and not worry about how unoriginal it is. I can only assume the reason they haven't is that they don't want to rip off every aspect of Android's notification drop down.

Have to agree with you and Mindwipe. I think we will we see this soon enough as they are running out of things to refine in the OS outside of a complete overall.

I really don't get where you're coming from at all. All three of those are complete non-problems.

No. I understand these complaints. Specially the safari private function. It is a problem to go through the menu instead of in-app. It's short sighted and stupid.

andycapps

Agree with all of those. The first can be helped by switching to Chrome, but thanks to another iOS problem you can't make it your default browser.

tmdorsey

Has there been any discussion on what causes the usage time and standby time to mirror each other even though I know there have been times when I've had my phone locked and not in use for awhile?

Mairu

Has there been any discussion on what causes the usage time and standby time to mirror each other even though I know there have been times when I've had my phone locked and not in use for awhile?

It seems like certain apps do it, but I haven't pinpointed exactly which ones. I think the Uniqlo Wake Up alarm app might cause it though that won't help you if you don't use it.

Considering this has been a jailbreak solution...

serioussbsettingshd.jpg

...for at least 4 years, I'm also surprised Apple hasn't caught on. It's one of the chief reasons to jailbreak.

You'd just swipe where the clock is in the top info bar and down slides the settings menu.

lack of convenience. it shouldn't be hard for you to grasp.

it should be easier to do those things than it is. and sometimes, it's completely counter-intuitive.

SuperPac

lack of convenience. it shouldn't be hard for you to grasp.

it should be easier to do those things than it is. and sometimes, it's completely counter-intuitive.

Except I'd guess that for a majority of iPhone users, presenting them with a ton of sliders in notification center would be overwhelming or unnecessary. Or they'd hit one by accident. There are plenty of use cases where putting those things more up front would be detrimental to the overall user experience (especially for new users).

LCfiner

yeah, shortcuts to enable/ disable services always seemed like a low priority to me (I've always left them on and forgot about it) but, considering the absolutely minor tweaking Apple is doing with iOS with 6.0, I'd say it's now a totally valid addition to a later update. either a 6.X or a 7.0 update.

M_A_C

Except I'd guess that for a majority of iPhone users, presenting them with a ton of sliders in notification center would be overwhelming or unnecessary. Or they'd hit one by accident. There are plenty of use cases where putting those things more up front would be detrimental to the overall user experience (especially for new users).

So your saying the majority of iphone users are nearly braindead or something?

Personally, I'd like to see a settings gear symbol IN apps that have the settings that are spilling into Settings panel.

Let's take iCabMobile for example (the superior iPad web browser): there is real confusion that comes in because there are TWO areas where settings can be found. Inside the app's settings panel (where you can modify swipe actions, ad-blocking filters, customize a gargantuan amount of shit)...AND in the Settings panel (where you specify system-wide actions like specify whether or not swiping from the sides of the screen will switch tabs or switch applications.

Because one settings area already exists, I didn't expect there to be more in the Settings panel. It was days of frustration before realizing there was that second set of settings. I guess my point is it needs to be either 100% of the settings in the Settings menu OR give me a settings symbol inside of each app that takes me to a full listing of all settings for that app. It's the consistency that matters first...then the convenience (which the later provides more than the former).

yeah, shortcuts to enable/ disable services always seemed like a low priority to me (I've always left them on and forgot about it) but, considering the absolutely minor tweaking Apple is doing with iOS with 6.0, I'd say it's now a totally valid addition to a later update. either a 6.X or a 7.0 update.

it's something I hate being without, and I usually don't even update my OS until a jailbreak comes along that allows me to continue using the shortcuts. being able to swipe to access brightness, enable/disable wifi and bluetooth are things I use *daily*. To have to go back to exiting an app...then opening settings...then finding the right menu option...then the right menu sub-option...

I'll just say that swipe + tap is a better solution. Just adding it to that dropdown notification tray would have been sufficient and I swear to God I don't understand why it's not already been done. It's so basic.

Top Bottom