• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

SuperPac

So your saying the majority of iphone users are nearly braindead or something?

I'm saying more options up front only equals ease of use to users who understand what those things do or have the need to toggle things quickly. For users who don't it's going to confuse their experience.

So, yes.

Personally, I'd like to see a settings gear symbol IN apps that have so many settings, they spill over into the Settings panel.

I agree with that.

Future

So your saying the majority of iphone users are nearly braindead or something?

Apples point of view is that only the power user flicks with those settings often, and so they can jailbreak or sift through settings to get access to them. Bluetooth, wifi, location etc should always be on, and batteries should be able to handle it. Brightness should be handled by the phone and automatically adjust based on settings, with little need to be put front and center.

Too much choice can be overwhelming. So they are careful as to what choices people have at any one time, which annoys power users of course

Apples point of view is that only the power user flicks with those settings often, and so they can jailbreak or sift through settings to get access to them. Bluetooth, wifi, location etc should always be on, and batteries should be able to handle it. Brightness should be handled by the phone and automatically adjust based on settings, with little need to be put front and center.

Too much choice can be overwhelming. So they are careful as to what choices people have at any one time, which annoys power users of course

I don't think there's anything "Power user" about adjusting brightness or disabling wifi.

Except I'd guess that for a majority of iPhone users, presenting them with a ton of sliders in notification center would be overwhelming or unnecessary. Or they'd hit one by accident. There are plenty of use cases where putting those things more up front would be detrimental to the overall user experience (especially for new users).

So just make it sonething you have to enable.

Apple really can't argue a stupid stock widget is more useful than simple options people use frequently.

jcm

Considering this has been a jailbreak solution...

serioussbsettingshd.jpg

...for at least 4 years, I'm also surprised Apple hasn't caught on. It's one of the chief reasons to jailbreak.

You'd just swipe where the clock is in the top info bar and down slides the settings menu.

lack of convenience. it shouldn't be hard for you to grasp.

it should be easier to do those things than it is. and sometimes, it's completely counter-intuitive.

That's pretty cool. Should have airplane mode there too.

I guess you don't fly much? Also, I frequently have to disable my wifi. The phone hangs onto it when I leave my building, but can't actually use it. Or the phone autojoins a network at an airport or hotel when I haven't bought access. And the new feature thats supposed to autoswitch to cell data at that point didn't ship.

Future

I don't think there's anything "Power user" about adjusting brightness or disabling wifi.

Their desire is to make a phone where you don't need to fiddle with these settings. Putting them up front alerts the user that you might want to consider fiddling with these settings day to day, and they don't want that. Battery should be strong enough to leave wifi on all day. Phone has sensors to automatically adjust brightness as necessary.

That's pretty cool. Should have airplane mode there too.

I guess you don't fly much?

I guess I'd assume the percentage of the population that flies so often that flight mode is a bother is low. And besides, notice that it's the one setting that's right at the top of settings anyhow.

jcm

Airplane mode is right at the top of settings as is. It's two taps. It wouldn't be any faster to add it to Notification Center.

Only if you happen to be on the page with the settings app. And if you can find it quickly. And even so it's slower than a swipe at the top plus a tap.

Edit: What a stupid conversation this is.

You guys: People don't need that.
Me: I need that
You guys: No you don't. And anyway there's not a lot of people like you.

Future

Only if you happen to be on the page with the settings app. And if you can find it quickly. And even so it's slower than a swipe at the top plus a tap.

Edit: What a stupid conversation this is.

You guys: People don't need that.
Me: I need that
You guys: No you don't. And anyway there's not a lot of people like you.

Dude, that's what designing is. You can't put everything everywhere, nor do you want to because it creates clutter. You put the things people access the most front and center, and things that people access less frequently tucked away. If through enough use it's clear that some tucked away items need quicker access, then they will adjust. And yeah, not everyone will be please. But crappy design often comes from people attempting to please everyone

Perhaps flight mode and wifi will work its way up the menus eventually. 5 iOS iterations later, apple clearly has not thought it necessary.

Airplane mode is right at the top of settings as is. It's two taps. It wouldn't be any faster to add it to Notification Center.

What? I can pull down the notification tray from anywhere and tap on the setting whenever I want in two motions. Can I access that in the Settings no matter where I am in two motions? No.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apples point of view is that only the power user flicks with those settings often, and so they can jailbreak or sift through settings to get access to them...
Whoa there. Apple doesn't support jailbreaking; they don't consider it a valid option for any user (power user or not).

Mairu

2JvZXl.png

You can't deny this would be an awesome acceptable solution. Those toggles are all configurable. Please add this Apple :(

Future

Whoa there. Apple doesn't support jailbreaking; they don't consider it a valid option for any user (power user or not).

Yeah they don't official endorse it, nor recommend it. Point was that power users always find a way. I'll admit that I doubt apple designs anything expecting jail breaking as an appropriate alternative to their design, so shouldn't have mentioned it there

bionic77

Has there been any discussion on what causes the usage time and standby time to mirror each other even though I know there have been times when I've had my phone locked and not in use for awhile?
That has happened to me since the 4.

It was always fixed by a reset and full charge.

Is that not the case any longer?

andycapps

2JvZXl.png

You can't deny this would be an awesome acceptable solution. Those toggles are all configurable. Please add this Apple :(

That looks so complicated only a power user would know how to do it. :p

I wish they'd do it, but those buttons would have to be centered. That's bugging me.

I wish they'd do it, but those buttons would have to be centered. That's bugging me.

It's a scrolling horizontal list. There's a reason it's not centered and offset. It's just like notifications aren't vertically centered.

Future

2JvZXl.png

What's funny is that I would love that shit myself. I turn off wifi a lot to conserve battery, and sometimes have to flick Bluetooth on and off as well. Notice still someone is unhappy since there is no flight mode toggle though ;)

But if you break it down, those buttons being right there would make it clear as day that there are things they expect you to change often. They are trying to design a phone where these toggles are not necessary. If they think they are failing at that, there is no doubt youll find some of those settings start to pop up with fewer taps

What's funny is that I would love that shit myself. I turn off wifi a lot to conserve battery, and sometimes have to flick Bluetooth on and off as well. Notice still someone is unhappy since there is no flight mode toggle though ;)

But if you break it down, those buttons being right there would make it clear as day that there are things they expect you to change often. They are trying to design a phone where these toggles are not necessary. If they think they are failing at that, there is no doubt youll find some of those settings start to pop up with fewer taps

There is, it's off screen. It's a scrolling list. Here's everything in mine:

3G
Airplane
Bluetooth
Brightness
Data
Processes
WiFi

bionic77

2JvZXl.png

I would not want it on the lock screen but it would be very cool at the top of notifications.

If it was on the lock screen too much chance of people hitting it by mistake.

Noema

As you all know, double clicking brings up the task switcher, and if you swipe to the right you get controls for whatever app is playing audio in the background, as well as a toggle for orientation lock.

Most of you probably also know that if you swipe right once more you get a volume slider. I've always wished Apple would include the BT, WiFi, and Airplane Mode toggles in there, with a further swipe. They could even have a brightness slider if you swipe further (the iPad already has a brightness slider along with volume and Audio controls).

This way more experienced users have quick access to all those options without having to leave their current app, while effectively hiding it from casual users. Most people don't even seem to be aware that the task switcher exists, let alone being able to swipe right to get audio controls / orientation lock. I think this is preferable to having these toggles in the NC since it's already sort of cluttered.

Now if Apple would only get rid of that stupid home-button destroying method of double clicking to show the task switcher. An upwards swipe (just like the one to pull down the notifications center, but from the bottom up) or multifinger gestures would be far preferable and also more ergonomic.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
First time I ever felt stupid using an iPhone. I looked at my phone and the screen looked like the shot below. I have never seen that before. Is this something from iOS 6?

That's similar to the ancient system messages that Softbank users used to get in 2009

eg.

3321735539_907933329a.jpg

No idea what the :) face signifies though.

Blackhead

Redarse
As you all know, double clicking brings up the task switcher, and if you swipe to the right you get controls for whatever app is playing audio in the background, as well as a toggle for orientation lock.

Most of you probably also know that if you swipe right once more you get a volume slider. I've always wished Apple would include the BT, WiFi, and Airplane Mode toggles in there, with a further swipe. They could even have a brightness slider if you swipe further (the iPad already has a brightness slider along with volume and Audio controls).

This way more experienced users have quick access to all those options without having to leave their current app, while effectively hiding it from casual users. Most people don't even seem to be aware that the task switcher exists, let alone being able to swipe right to get audio controls / orientation lock. I think this is preferable to having these toggles in the NC since it's already sort of cluttered.

Now if Apple would only get rid of that stupid home-button destroying method of double clicking to show the task switcher. An upwards swipe (just like the one to pull down the notifications center, but from the bottom up) or multifinger gestures would be far preferable and also more ergonomic.

Anyone have a good list of all these little things? Just got my first iPhone, and I would have never found this out on my own!

tmdorsey

That has happened to me since the 4.

It was always fixed by a reset and full charge.

Is that not the case any longer?

Do you mean a hard reset? I've done a full charge from 0 already and I'm still having the issue. I never had this with my 4.

On the topic of the settings, you guys are thinking too much as power users. The average person doesn't fool with those settings all the time or would like to. If an average user uses something like bluetooth, they are going to want to be able to turn it on and leave it on and not have to worry about turning it on and off to save battery. You are more likely to see them tote extra cables for charging rather than having to manage turning a feature on and off.

This is it.

They moved Bluetooth to the first page of the Settings, so they're willing to change with what people do, but the overall goal is so that you never have to toggle or think about these things. That Cellular + Wifi setting in the beta that didn't make it to the final release is good evidence of that.

again I say: Jailbreaking ftw. I've been doing that along with swiping for those system options for years.

It's the only way to fly.

buhdeh

ZEPHYR WAS A GODSEND WHEN I STILL HAD MY 4S. I absolutely HATE the home button. My GF's 4 also had a home button destroyed (I'm guessing from all the dumb double click functionality) and zephyr made the phone usable again. The Apple store recommended adding that stupid ass accessibility button that covered the screen for her so that she had an on screen home button... lawl.

KtSlime

What? I can pull down the notification tray from anywhere and tap on the setting whenever I want in two motions. Can I access that in the Settings no matter where I am in two motions? No.

You can if you put the Settings app on the dock, where Apple intends for users to put frequently accessed apps. You can also leave it on page 1, where there button takes you when you press it and you are on any other page. You would have to move it from that page - actively making it harder for you to access. Turning on Airplane mode isn't some super hidden thing like people are making it out to be.

Mairu

Well obviously if Apple did it they'd want to tweak the display and limit what actually could show up there, but I think a large percentage would appreciate the ability to quickly toggle various settings.

At least with the one displayed (SBSettings), it's possible to configure those toggles however you want. I don't use airplane mode, so it's not present, but nothing is stopping you from adding it there.

I understand what you're saying with that, but considering even the amount of people in this thread and the iPhone 5 thread going over what they do to optimize battery life... they're failing at designing a phone where the toggles are unnecessary. I think Settings/Preferences on iOS right now is a total mess and I don't know that Apple even knows what to do with it. Going from iOS 5 to iOS 6 I even get lost myself as some settings get moved around and every time they add a feature (like notification center), more settings get moved and slightly more complicated. Apps themselves have settings in the settings app, but some have all the settings in their own app, and some even have settings in their own app AND the settings app. It's not very "Apple"

again I say: Jailbreaking ftw. I've been doing that along with swiping for those system options for years.

It's the only way to fly.

ZEPHYR WAS A GODSEND WHEN I STILL HAD MY 4S. I absolutely HATE the home button. My GF's 4 also had a home button destroyed (I'm guessing from all the dumb double click functionality) and zephyr made the phone usable again. The Apple store recommended adding that stupid ass accessibility button that covered the screen for her so that she had an on screen home button... lawl.

I did not even know this was possible and I used a jailbroken 4, heh! I'll definitely add it to my list of tweaks to use when the 5 ultimately gets jailbroken.

Tried a restore and everything I can possibly think of to fix battery life of my 4s post iOS6. I've run out of ideas, heres what it looks like right now. 50% battery life with 2 hours of usage, which I think is high since ive hardy used it today. I lost 4% going from iHome to my desk today and didnt even turn on the screen once between the 2 points.

hLeal.png

You can if you put the Settings app on the dock, where Apple intends for users to put frequently accessed apps. You can also leave it on page 1, where there button takes you when you press it and you are on any other page. You would have to move it from that page - actively making it harder for you to access. Turning on Airplane mode isn't some super hidden thing like people are making it out to be.

It's not two steps though. If I'm in an app, I have to exit the app, hit Settings, and then make my change. That's three steps. It also seems silly that I have to put Settings as one of my preferred apps on the dock. Heck, I jailbreak just to have 5 apps in the dock because that's too limiting for my tastes.

tmdorsey

I understand what you're saying with that, but considering even the amount of people in this thread and the iPhone 5 thread going over what they do to optimize battery life... they're failing at designing a phone where the toggles are unnecessary. I think Settings/Preferences on iOS right now is a total mess and I don't know that Apple even knows what to do with it. Going from iOS 5 to iOS 6 I even get lost myself as some settings get moved around and every time they add a feature (like notification center), more settings get moved and slightly more complicated. Apps themselves have settings in the settings app, but some have all the settings in their own app, and some even have settings in their own app AND the settings app. It's not very "Apple"

These two threads, plus all the people who post on all the tech forums on the internet and bitch about the extra 2/3 taps it takes to get to these settings is minuscule compared to the number of avg users out there with iPhones who wouldn't care or pay any mind to having the quick ability to turn on and off any of these settings.

5amshift

Banned
With the battery issue that seems to be having since the iPhone 3G, I'll probably wait until the day or second to last day and return it. Hopefully the newer batch of phones have no drain issue.

Mairu

These two threads, plus all the people who post on all the tech forums on the internet and bitch about the extra 2/3 taps it takes to get to these settings is minuscule compared to the number of avg users out there with iPhones who wouldn't care or pay any mind to having the quick ability to turn on and off any of these settings.

I don't really disagree with you. I imagine for average users, whether they care or don't care, just give up and move on if they don't see a feature they would like. But why add any features if people wouldn't care? It's unfortunate that you, and whoever at Apple makes decisions about whether to add features or functions to iOS, would choose to ignore an exceptionally useful feature that competitors already offer because the majority of users only care about whether their phone makes calls and texts :/

protonion

For those with battery issues.
Have you disabled time zone settings? It's under location services-system services.

My 3gs had drain issues after ios5 and this fixed it.

tmdorsey

I don't really disagree with you. I imagine for average users, whether they care or don't care, just give up and move on if they don't see a feature they would like. But why add any features if people wouldn't care? It's unfortunate that you, and whoever at Apple makes decisions about whether to add features or functions to iOS, would choose to ignore an exceptionally useful feature that competitors already offer because the majority of users only care about whether their phone makes calls and texts :/

Some features such as the panorama mode, being able to access audio controls from the lock screen, etc users do care about and are more globally appreciated than other features. All features aren't created equal.

mrkgoo

I think this is a great point.

They're trying to make a phone that you dn't have to worry about those settings, so easy access is kind of a sign in the opposite direction from where they want to go. It's like they want a phone that is smart enough to not have YOU deal with power management, but giving you quick access to power management sends the wrong signal.

And as future said, they might be failing in that regard of making it power manage well, but I see why they try. I think a good compromise is just a configurable toggle that gives you a few options of what to stick in the 'swipe to the rigt' area in the multitasking tray.

Personally, I never bother with those toggles, maybe Bluetooth if I had any Bluetooth devices, but generally, I let my phone manage stuff. There will always be a section of micro managers, though, so I can see why those would want faster access.

Downhome

I don't have an iPhone 5, but as I mentioned before I updated to iOS 6 and hate it with a fiery passion. I could go on and on about the awful changes, but mainly how they totally screwed up how I download and listen to podcasts (to the point where I gave up and downloaded Downcast, which is better than anything I've ever used from Apple), how they just destroyed the functionality of the app store for me and I can imagine that a lot of developers must hate it as well, and of course the worthless map app they added.

dyls

It always annoyed me that there was no easy toggle for brightness on the iPhone, which is one of the main reasons I used to jailbreak my phone. But I have to say that the auto-brightness in iOS 6 with the iPhone 5 is really fantastic. I've never had to adjust it once, and I've never had any trouble seeing the screen. For someone who lives in very sunny LA and usually has polarized sunglasses on (which used to render the iPhone 4 almost un-viewable), its been pretty incredible. I realized it first at the USC afternoon football game on Saturday, where I used to have to take off my sunglasses and turn up the brightness to max and still couldn't see the screen clearly. This time it was totally clear with no adjustment on my part.

I like that the auto brightness now actually moves the slider around. If you leave it on the brightness screen, you can watch it slide around in real time as you change environments. I notice it brightens a little faster than it darkens. I guess that gets preference, which makes sense.

Shearie

lack of convenience. it shouldn't be hard for you to grasp.

it should be easier to do those things than it is. and sometimes, it's completely counter-intuitive.

Once again, don't get where you guys are coming from because you're being nitpicky as fuck over a non-problem. The way settings are now IS convenient. It is not hard to go into the settings app and it doesn't take a long time to open it and click on whatever you want. There's no need to clutter up apps with more virtual buttons.

Top Bottom