• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
And sentry is banned when it happens too :lol :(

Looks good man. I think overall the iOS app switcher needs to be simplified. If it is not one of the last 8 apps used it should be purged from the app list, the OS can still save the state and allow the app to run as it currently does, but swiping through multiple pages has no advantage to the user.

If they keep the app icon in the app switcher I would like to see them show the last eight apps on ONE page of the app switcher and that's it, no multiple pages for quick changing apps.

Bgamer90

Banned
You do realize that that's just one of the stock answers Siri says when you ask it to tell you a joke, right?

Doesn't make it unfunny.

And when playing around with it she'll more so say something along the lines of "I'm not funny" instead of "I forgot the punch line".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Something up with the store and stuff? My iPad wont connect to the iTunes Store on any Internet connection. I also keep getting a log in screen pop up box that goes to a 404 page (similar to day 1 on the iPhone 5 before apple fixed it)...

After using Passbook for my airline ticket nearly two weeks ago, I can't wait for more airlines to start supporting it. So much easier than carrying a physical boarding pass as all I do is place the phone on the scanner and hand over my ID. No muss or fuss.

I couldn't disagree more,
I used the air france app a few weeks ago when I was flying and it was cumbersome to always dig out your iPhone, unlock it, open app, go to the boarding pass and then hold it under the scanner...
and if you where too slow the screen would go back into power save mode before it had scanned -.-

I used the air france app a few weeks ago when I was flying and it was cumbersome to always dig out your iPhone, unlock it, open app, go to the boarding pass and then hold it under the scanner...
and if you where too slow the screen would go back into power save mode before it had scanned -.-

So you couldn't disagree more that Passbook is awesome but you never actually used Passbook?

Well guess what, Passbook doesn't do any of the things you just described.

Quick

Banned
For something as big as airline tickets, I'd be hesitant. But for my Starbucks card, movie ticket, rewards cards, and such? I'm down. I wish Apple would let us import our own cards officially. I currently have one card in Passbook (my SCENE points card), and Starbucks Canada has yet to update to support Passbook. Once I get it filled up, I'm sure it'll be more used.

PassSource is cool to test things out, and that's about it.

But... I didn't have to do any of that.

The pass features a notification on the lock scree - which then goes directly to the pass & barcode. The scanner was a standalone item and all I did was place my phone onto the glass and let it sit there while the TSA employee looked at my ID as my boarding pass info displayed on a screen in front of the agent.

I boarded from SFO to JFK and back. No problems.

Quick

Banned
Auron_Kale, did you get any funny looks from the employees there when you showed your boarding pass on your phone, or were they pretty much ready and used to it?

numble

Doesn't PassBook override all brightness/power settings specifically to allow scanners to work better?

Auron_Kale, did you get any funny looks from the employees there when you showed your boarding pass on your phone, or were they pretty much ready and used to it?

No funny looks as the scanner was right in front of the security agent. Agents looked pretty impressed with it actually and other passengers looked jelly lol.

I think for the agent, it's a bit easier to deal with since it's kinda hands-off? Considering I'm one of those people who will stick the boarding in their mouths as I try to retrieve my wallet to get my ID, it's definitely less gross lol.

Doesn't PassBook override all brightness/power settings specifically to allow scanners to work better?

Yep, that's exactly what happened with my pass. Didn't change any of my settings and my pass was scanned with ease.

So you couldn't disagree more that Passbook is awesome but you never actually used Passbook?

Well guess what, Passbook doesn't do any of the things you just described.

well i haven't been able to test passbook with anything as its support in Europe is minimal at the moment.
I was talking in general that i thought using the phone was cumbersome, if passbook really makes it better I will try it.

Quick

Banned
No funny looks as the scanner was right in front of the security agent. Agents looked pretty impressed with it actually and other passengers looked jelly lol.

I think for the agent, it's a bit easier to deal with since it's kinda hands-off? Considering I'm one of those people who will stick the boarding in their mouths as I try to retrieve my wallet to get my ID, it's definitely less gross lol.

Yep, that's exactly what happened with my pass. Didn't change any of my settings and my pass was scanned with ease.

Nice.

I had a lady freak out and asked me how I was able to put my SCENE card on my phone while I was lining up for popcorn (had the app open). It's honestly so much more convenient opening the app and having places just scan it off your phone.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They should be used to it, boarding passes on phone screens aren't new. Well, not in Australia anyway.

Nice.

I had a lady freak out and asked me how I was able to put my SCENE card on my phone while I was lining up for popcorn (had the app open). It's honestly so much more convenient opening the app and having places just scan it off your phone.

Yep agreed. Not having to take out your wallet for simple things like Starbucks or having a concert/airplane ticket on your phone at all times... I need more companies supporting this feature.

Quick

Banned
They should be used to it, boarding passes on phone screens aren't new. Well, not in Australia anyway.

Canadian =\

We only just started printing plastic bills. Australia pls

Yep agreed. Not having to take out your wallet for simple things like Starbucks or having a concert/airplane ticket on your phone at all times... I need more companies supporting this feature.

Even better if Apple comes out with an update that lets us enter cards manually. Or even just a tool to do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But... I didn't have to do any of that.

The pass features a notification on the lock scree - which then goes directly to the pass & barcode. The scanner was a standalone item and all I did was place my phone onto the glass and let it sit there while the TSA employee looked at my ID as my boarding pass info displayed on a screen in front of the agent.

I boarded from SFO to JFK and back. No problems.

Doesn't the lock screen switch off after a couple of seconds? Does passbook keep the lock screen lit up all the time?

As for sentry's UI suggestions, I like all of them except for the brightness one. I like that too, but it is suggesting changing the functionality of a page (from volume to brightness, adding settings shortcuts). The other screens he's focusing on improving the visual representation of existing screens. So it seems a bit of a mixed message to me.

Ashhong

Does a screen protector hinder Passbook? I remember I had problems in the past with a wallet app that had my loyalty cards like at Best Buy and such when I used a protector.

hirokazu

Doesn't the lock screen switch off after a couple of seconds? Does passbook keep the lock screen lit up all the time?

I thought the way it worked is that when it detects you're in a location where you'd need a certain pass, it'll show up on the lock screen as a notification. You then need to slide that to unlock the phone and it'll automatically take you to the correct pass in Passbook.

I doesn't show the actual pass on the lock screen, not does it turn the screen on and put it at maximum brightness while at the lock screen.

I thought the way it worked is that when it detects you're in a location where you'd need a certain pass, it'll show up on the lock screen as a notification. You then need to slide that to unlock the phone and it'll automatically take you to the correct pass in Passbook.

I doesn't show the actual pass on the lock screen, not does it turn the screen on and put it at maximum brightness while at the lock screen.

Again, you get a notification on the lock screen and slide to unlock to get the pass. At that point, you get the pass and any low brightness setting is overridden as well as any auto-lock settings. It will stay on for as long as the scanner needs to scan it.

Only time the phone locked up was when my cousin was showing one of the desk attendants my pass so that she could upgrade my seat, due to inactivity (since it wasn't being scanned) so there is a time limit of sorts.

Other than that instance, the phone never locked until I locked it myself.

Mindwipe

And sentry is banned when it happens too :lol :(

Looks good man. I think overall the iOS app switcher needs to be simplified. If it is not one of the last 8 apps used it should be purged from the app list, the OS can still save the state and allow the app to run as it currently does, but swiping through multiple pages has no advantage to the user.

If they keep the app icon in the app switcher I would like to see them show the last eight apps on ONE page of the app switcher and that's it, no multiple pages for quick changing apps.

That would make it impossible to kill an app that had crashed if it wasn't in the last eight you used. Especially if it subsequently wouldn't restart.

No, that would be pretty bad.

Majine

Banned
My dream patch notes for iOS 7:

Notifications
- You can now remove individual notifications in the Notification Center, as opposed to before when you could only remove entire apps. Swipe to the right on the targeted notification, just like you remove anything else in the OS.
- On the lockscreen, if you have an app that sends you alot of notifications, it can list them in a more archived way, instead of showing the app icon and title over and over again. Saves space.

Safari
- The omnibar from Safari on Mac, includes the Google search
- Sitename and URL combined into the same space, the searchbar. Sitename appears by default, tapping on it switches to the URL so you can edit. This saves space so you can see more of the websites, but at the same time all the functionality of the previous bar remains.
- Gestures. When fully zoomed out on a website you can swipe from left to right to switch between tabs. Swipe down (on the page, not top of the screen) to refresh page.

Do Not Disturb
- Attach to a Calendar, so that when an event in that calendar appears, DND turns on.
- Attach a place, using geofencing. For example your office. When arriving at the destination, DND turns on.

Other
- Newsstand folder is now removable, and redownloadable through the App Store

Does a screen protector hinder Passbook? I remember I had problems in the past with a wallet app that had my loyalty cards like at Best Buy and such when I used a protector.

I use airline apps and have been using electronic boarding passes for the last 2 years on my iPhone 4 with a screen protector and never had a problem getting it recognized. Never had to deal with an airport that didn't have the reader either. (Though my travel is usually limited to larger cities).

My dream patch notes for iOS 7:

Notifications
- You can now remove individual notifications in the Notification Center, as opposed to before when you could only remove entire apps. Swipe to the right on the targeted notification, just like you remove anything else in the OS.
- On the lockscreen, if you have an app that sends you alot of notifications, it can list them in a more archived way, instead of showing the app icon and title over and over again. Saves space.

Safari
- The omnibar from Safari on Mac, includes the Google search
- Sitename and URL combined into the same space, the searchbar. Sitename appears by default, tapping on it switches to the URL so you can edit. This saves space so you can see more of the websites, but at the same time all the functionality of the previous bar remains.
- Gestures. When fully zoomed out on a website you can swipe from left to right to switch between tabs. Swipe down (on the page, not top of the screen) to refresh page.

Do Not Disturb
- Attach to a Calendar, so that when an event in that calendar appears, DND turns on.
- Attach a place, using geofencing. For example your office. When arriving at the destination, DND turns on.

Other
- Newsstand folder is now removable, and redownloadable through the App Store
That would be a pretty sad iOS 7 release. Why not 6.1?

I wish I could mark emails as read from the notification centre without having to actually read them. I had some jailbreak app that let me and it, with sbsettings, is the main thing I miss.

Great to see sentry's mockups getting exposure, sometimes I question Forstall's ability. It's fine to spend as many resources for iLife on the iphone, which is great, but some of the shorcomings of the basic os are embarrassing at this point. Priorities apple!

Vyer

Kinda digging Photo Stream now that there are better ways to manage it in iOS 6. The way it integrates into your photo directory on Windows 7 is a nice touch.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'd like a way to access spotlight from any screen, the way it is now, it's a bit of a hassle to get to it unless you are on the main apps screen.

uhh... you know that icon serves a very specific function, right? Try dragging it to the right.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not sure if this belongs in the iPhone or iOS thread...But I don't have an iPhone 5, so I'm going to bank on this one.

Both me and my fiancee have an older iPhone (her a 4, me a 4s). The past few days, the internet on both of our phones (and a bunch of folks in my office) has been loading REALLY slow when not on wifi. Like, the point where pages just time-out. Any idea what's going on? Tried restarting, closing all apps and only opening the browser, checking for updates, etc.

Not sure if this belongs in the iPhone or iOS thread...But I don't have an iPhone 5, so I'm going to bank on this one.

Both me and my fiancee have an older iPhone (her a 4, me a 4s). The past few days, the internet on both of our phones (and a bunch of folks in my office) has been loading REALLY slow when not on wifi. Like, the point where pages just time-out. Any idea what's going on? Tried restarting, closing all apps and only opening the browser, checking for updates, etc.

have you maybe used app all your data for this month? They tend to throttle it once you do...

Top Bottom