• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

MasLegio

Banned
Not sure if this belongs in the iPhone or iOS thread...But I don't have an iPhone 5, so I'm going to bank on this one.

Both me and my fiancee have an older iPhone (her a 4, me a 4s). The past few days, the internet on both of our phones (and a bunch of folks in my office) has been loading REALLY slow when not on wifi. Like, the point where pages just time-out. Any idea what's going on? Tried restarting, closing all apps and only opening the browser, checking for updates, etc.

problem is with the telecom operator and not your phones. Call them, maybe there is an issue with their antennas they are not aware of or they just have not cared about putting resources in their infrastructure while data usage has gone up.

Quite common in Stockholm during rush hour on commutes.

andycapps

Not sure if this belongs in the iPhone or iOS thread...But I don't have an iPhone 5, so I'm going to bank on this one.

Both me and my fiancee have an older iPhone (her a 4, me a 4s). The past few days, the internet on both of our phones (and a bunch of folks in my office) has been loading REALLY slow when not on wifi. Like, the point where pages just time-out. Any idea what's going on? Tried restarting, closing all apps and only opening the browser, checking for updates, etc.

Tower at your work is probably overloaded. That's how it is at my workplace. They'll eventually be redoing the tower here in the next few months to bring LTE and faster 3G but until then, all the corporate offices in the area are killing the speeds on it.

yogloo

I just found this map app. Lumatic city map for iphone. This app is ingenious if your city is supported. Very smart way in approaching turn by turn direction.
I would love it for apple to buy them out and integrate them into iOS. Would be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsgS_qlZXug&feature=player_embedded

Looks like Sentry made a video of our switcher mockup.

Damn.

dammedancing01.gif

Looks great.

jts

...hate me...
While I like that concept, at least some parts of it, I don't think that the reasoning behind it makes much sense. It's not the taller screen that allows for it, the iPad has a much taller screen as well. The switcher has been 1 row tall by design, not by real estate limitations.

You can use the same exact concept on the iPhone 4S and previous with no drawbacks.

What I like and *need* the most about it is the settings page. But, and even though they don't make much sense there, I'd prefer them on the NC. Because I hate double clicking the home button... in fact, more than a new switcher I wish Apple would revamp the whole thing, mixing the NC with the switcher and getting rid of the double click altogether.

While I like that concept, at least some parts of it, I don't think that the reasoning behind it makes much sense. It's not the taller screen that allows for it, the iPad has a much taller screen as well. The switcher has been 1 row tall by design, not by real estate limitations.

You can use the same exact concept on the iPhone 4S and previous with no drawbacks.

What I like and *need* the most about it is the settings page. But, and even though they don't make much sense there, I'd prefer them on the NC. Because I hate double clicking the home button... in fact, more than a new switcher I wish Apple would revamp the whole thing, mixing the NC with the switcher and getting rid of the double click altogether.

Start using Zephyr. You'll love it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously. It's the way of the future.

All airlines need to support this app since they already have the scanners at airports. Then they can get rid of the self check-in kiosks.
NFC is the way of the future, at least near future. Passbook thing is a stop gap. Also, can't get rid of those kiosks and switch to passbook unless literally everyone owns an iphone, no?

NFC is the way of the future, at least near future. Passbook thing is a stop gap. Also, can't get rid of those kiosks and switch to passbook unless literally everyone owns an iphone, no?

It's not so much as everyone needing an iphone, but I don't see what's wrong with all airlines having their apps (whether it's iOS or Android) supporting digital boarding passes.

Sure it's a stopgap for now, but again, Passbook makes it easy for iOS users while I'd assume there's a Passbook-type app that is out or can be made for Android that is basically the same thing? NFC is out there in the wild but it's still not as widespread as it could be.

Mik2121

My screen has a scratch on it already. I hate using screen protectors, but yeah it's not scratch proof.

What iPhone do you have?

I have an iPhone 4S that I bought exactly one year ago and I always keep it in my pocket without any screen cover nor case. Just as it is, straight from the iPhone box to my pocket.. and I have yet to see a single scratch. I've had it in the same pocket with my keys, with money and whatever...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Seriously. It's the way of the future.

All airlines need to support this app since they already have the scanners at airports. Then they can get rid of the self check-in kiosks.

I didn't have any baggage either, it felt so weird, yet awesome walking in and going straight to the security line without having to bother with the counter or kiosk.

I didn't have any baggage either, it felt so weird, yet awesome walking in and going straight to the security line without having to bother with the counter or kiosk.

Crazy. I had a carry-on and a backpack as my personal item when I went to New York from San Francisco. Even still, just strolling up to the security line all fully-checked in without having to carry a paper boarding pass was kinda a weird thrill?

If I flew regularly enough, I'd probably not care too much after a while, but it's kinda fun.

Currently discussing with an Android phone user, but iPad user about close his apps

I saw him doing it and sent him a few articles. He disagrees though!

SmokyDave

Is it just me or is nobody moaning about the 'missed calls' issue in iOS6?

If I miss a call and then swipe the missed call notification, it makes my phone totally freak out and display a black screen with the Apple logo (as if it were rebooting). It then freezes for a second and I'm back at the lockscreen. It started happening with iOS6 and I've seen it on my co-workers iPhone 4 and my Missus' 4S so it's definitely not just me.

I feel like it's the sort of thing that would've received a lot of bad press but so far, I've seen nothing. Does everyone have the problem?

Steelrain

If I miss a call and then swipe the missed call notification, it makes my phone totally freak out and display a black screen with the Apple logo (as if it were rebooting). It then freezes for a second and I'm back at the lockscreen. It started happening with iOS6 and I've seen it on my co-workers iPhone 4 and my Missus' 4S so it's definitely not just me.

I feel like it's the sort of thing that would've received a lot of bad press but so far, I've seen nothing. Does everyone have the problem?

I haven't made a phone call in......months. I'll test it out later to check it out.

Mindwipe

I've had it happen to me once, but that's it. I've not heard of anyone else having the issue until now so I'd not thought much else of it.

What iPhone do you have?

I have an iPhone 4S that I bought exactly one year ago and I always keep it in my pocket without any screen cover nor case. Just as it is, straight from the iPhone box to my pocket.. and I have yet to see a single scratch. I've had it in the same pocket with my keys, with money and whatever...

Before I got my 5 I was at work and heard people talking about getting screen protectors for their iPhone 4s. They asked me if I used them on my 4 and I said that it was Gorilla Glass, it doesn't need a screen protector. They didn't believe me so I proceeded to take my naked phone out of my pocket, my keys out of the other, and scratch my keys back and forth across the screen. Not a trace was left.

I did something similar a few days after getting my 5 and again, not a scratch.

Screen protectors are gross and unnecessary.

doesn't happen to me. Just tried it.

Mairu

I haven't had this happen but I have had the phone black screen+Apple logo a few times randomly unlocking after different notifications. One time was a text, other time was a mail, hope it doesn't start happening a lot or someone discovers what causes it.

lionelhutz

With Passbook, do the location services need to be enabled for each application? For example, Target and Starbucks each have an application to create the Passbook coupon. Do I need to have location services enabled for those applications and on the Passbook application? Is the Passbook application able to determine the closest store or Starbucks just based on the cards or coupons I've loaded?

Quick

Banned
Just paid for my Starbucks purchase with Passbook.

I've been paying for Starbucks with the app, which would be like Passbook (still no Passbook support for the Canadian app). It's actually cool and convenient, since I'd just have my phone out anyway.

jcm

I think Do Not Disturb broke the app I use for my alarm. I overslept this morning, and I'm 90% sure I had the alarm set (and didn't turn it off and go back to bed). Anyone know if 3rd party apps can get through DND?

I think Do Not Disturb broke the app I use for my alarm. I overslept this morning, and I'm 90% sure I had the alarm set (and didn't turn it off and go back to bed). Anyone know if 3rd party apps can get through DND?

They don't which is why I stopped using DND.

jcm

They don't which is why I stopped using DND.

Thanks for the (unwelcome) info. I love DND, but I also love my Swiss Railway clock app's alarm. Hopefully Apple will expose an SDK method to break through DND. The native ipad clock app is really lame.

This is the clock/alarm app I use for ipad, if anyone is interested. L'horloge Suisse

Wanna ditch iTunes permanently.

Any good cloud music players y'all recommend that you can upload your music to and allow offline caching?

Thinking of trying amazon.

Ashhong

Before I got my 5 I was at work and heard people talking about getting screen protectors for their iPhone 4s. They asked me if I used them on my 4 and I said that it was Gorilla Glass, it doesn't need a screen protector. They didn't believe me so I proceeded to take my naked phone out of my pocket, my keys out of the other, and scratch my keys back and forth across the screen. Not a trace was left.

I did something similar a few days after getting my 5 and again, not a scratch.

Screen protectors are gross and unnecessary.

Sure there are no big real scratches, but there are fine scratches if seen with the right light. I can't stand seeing those either. Need me a protector.

Top Bottom