• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

noah111

Still Alive
That was fun :lol, ended up turning into the one of their biggest threads ever (out of 3k+ on their apple forums, about third I think?). Guess that random ban was a blessing in disguise of sorts. ;p

While I like that concept, at least some parts of it, I don't think that the reasoning behind it makes much sense. It's not the taller screen that allows for it, the iPad has a much taller screen as well. The switcher has been 1 row tall by design, not by real estate limitations.

You can use the same exact concept on the iPhone 4S and previous with no drawbacks.

What I like and *need* the most about it is the settings page. But, and even though they don't make much sense there, I'd prefer them on the NC. Because I hate double clicking the home button... in fact, more than a new switcher I wish Apple would revamp the whole thing, mixing the NC with the switcher and getting rid of the double click altogether.
That's the thing, it's still one 'row' tall. It takes no extra effort to switch to an app, which is the best thing about it. And drawing any conclusions from the way iPad handles iOS is a mistake, that entire pos needs a redesign. Tablet iOS is still and always has been simply a scaled version, not a uniquely optimized one. The switcher for the iPad could definitely be redesigned.

And you're right that it isn't about the new size generally speaking, but technically the cards that tall because they're previews of 1136px apps and not 960, which makes the switcher tall enough to fit in all those extras. Of course a 960px icon preview could still work, but it would be a bit weirdly spaced in the switcher, with a bit too much breathing room imo. But yeah, it's not necessarily specific to the iPhone 5 but that's simply the way I pitched it since that's the mockup, and at the same time my way to jab iOS for not changing at all for the iPhone 5. :p Plus that's what all the website headlines started dubbing it as, so hey it worked.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Settings>general>accessibility>physical and motor>2x animation speed

:'(

Zzoram

Used Apple Maps for the first time today. It couldn't find the address I entered so I had to use Google Maps in the browser. I've banishedApple Maps into my bloatware folder now and replaced it's position with a browser link to Google Maps.

Not cool Apple. Not cool.

tmdorsey

I don't use it a whole lot, but in the few times I've used it, Apple Maps have yet to fail me with navigation or searching for businesses.

I don't use it a whole lot, but in the few times I've used it, Apple Maps have yet to fail me with navigation or searching for businesses.
Same here, it's worked like a charm for me thus far. That said, I do live in the OC, so maybe that's why :p

I also never use street view, which is why I also find Flyover useless.

jcm

Used Apple Maps for the first time today. It couldn't find the address I entered so I had to use Google Maps in the browser. I've banishedApple Maps into my bloatware folder now and replaced it's position with a browser link to Google Maps.

Not cool Apple. Not cool.

That's a real shame, because when it works it is significantly better than the old google app, and in an entirely different league from the web app. I think it's better than the dedicated gps app I used to use, too (Navigon).

Obviously, that doesn't help if it's inaccurate in your city, but I'd encourage you to try it again in a few months, when hopefully they will have improved the data for your area.

noah111

Still Alive
Sentry, my man!
NO U!

In case anyone's wondering btw, i'm currently in talks with two developers who've started working on the concept. The two of them and I are sort of collaborating since it's more of an ambitious undertaking than your usual tweak would be. We may end up at a dead end or hurdle that can't be toppled, but at this point i'm hopeful. PS. One of them is the makers of NCSettings, one of the best, polished tweaks out there imo.

I actually just sent them .psd's consisting of all the raw UI assets,

So things are in motion. These dudes seem like good peoples who I think want to see it come to fruition as much as I do, so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months. Obviously i'll update if anything happens.

Mairu

NO U!

In case anyone's wondering btw, i'm currently in talks with two developers who've started working on the concept. The two of them and I are sort of collaborating since it's more of an ambitious undertaking than your usual tweak would be. We may end up at a dead end or hurdle that can't be toppled, but at this point i'm hopeful. PS. One of them is the makers of NCSettings, one of the best, polished tweaks out there imo.

http://f.cl.ly/items/1v2o1g2S130008382O0c/framework_small.png[IMG][/URL]

So things are in motion. These dudes seem like good peoples who I think want to see it come to fruition as much as I do, so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months. Obviously i'll update if anything happens.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! One more thing to look forward to when iOS 6 is finally jailbroken.

NO U!

So things are in motion. These dudes seem like good peoples who I think want to see it come to fruition as much as I do, so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months. Obviously i'll update if anything happens.

Will the tweak work on the 4S?

NO U!

Good work champ

On another note, my iPad and iPhone refuse to connect to iTunes on WiFi.

I've connected it via a USB, selected the option to control the devices over Wifi, and nothing. It keeps telling me to plug it in and select the option. I've restarted, turned it on and off- but nothing!

Good work champ

I've connected it via a USB, selected the option to control the devices over Wifi, and nothing. It keeps telling me to plug it in and select the option. I've restarted, turned it on and off- but nothing!

I can only sync via wifi if I purposefully unlock my phone and make sure it's on and ready to receive.... :/
And even then it only works most of the time and not always....

BdoUK

Good work champ

iTunes wifi sync has always been hit or miss for me. It seems to have gotten more so with the most recent version of iTunes and iOS6. Here's hoping that the next version of iTunes addresses these issues. It's frustrating to leave the house and realize your latest library updates haven't synced to the phone overnight.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Has anyone run into a bug where when the screen begins to dim due to inactivity, but it won't brighten back up when you touch it? I have to lock it and unlock it to remedy the issue.

Most annoying quirk I have found is the music player not remembering where it left off in a track sometimes. If It has to restart the app (due to not using it for a bit and running out of RAM or something), it will restart to the last track, but back at the beginning of the track.

Listening to audio books recently and when tracks are over an hour long or longer, having to drag around to find my spot again is annoying as hell. I have been making notes of where it left off when I leave the car so I can jump back after work just in case it does it again.

noah111

Still Alive
Will the tweak work on the 4S?
Me and the guys were talking about 3:2 implementation all night just now, and we made some nice progress. It'll definitely be done, but needless to say app icon previews don't look nearly as pleasurable for 960 tall apps.

It would be shorter, meaning the volume bar for the playback controls page on a 3:2 would have to be axed. Everything else functionality-wise would remain the same as the 16:9 version, but while being 30 pixels less in height.

Going by how the collaboration is going so far, there may actually be a chance this'll one day get released. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Me and the guys were talking about 3:2 implementation all night just now, and we made some nice progress. It'll definitely be done, but needless to say app icon previews don't look nearly as pleasurable for 960 tall apps.

It would be shorter, meaning the volume bar for the playback controls page on a 3:2 would have to be axed. Everything else functionality-wise would remain the same as the 16:9 version, but while being 30 pixels less in height.

Going by how the collaboration is going so far, there may actually be a chance this'll one day get released. :p
The brightness bar should have the option of toggling the auto-brightness function, perhaps by tapping the sun icon. Or does it do that already?

Most annoying quirk I have found is the music player not remembering where it left off in a track sometimes. If It has to restart the app (due to not using it for a bit and running out of RAM or something), it will restart to the last track, but back at the beginning of the track.

Listening to audio books recently and when tracks are over an hour long or longer, having to drag around to find my spot again is annoying as hell. I have been making notes of where it left off when I leave the car so I can jump back after work just in case it does it again.

Yea ever since podcasts it has been behaving strange...
Something that really bugs me is if I use Siri to play a podcast it will do so in music and not in podcasts :S

Just watching Cold Case

Googy_Gress-3.jpg

edgefusion

Let's take some photos of this new app people are excited about and leak them onto the net.
Okay, hold on while I get out my GameBoy camera!
Don't forget to crop them weirdly!

Cipherr

Looking nice. Funnily enough, if apple hadn't ditched google, do you guys think we would be getting a map app from them as nice as this?

Didn't we just get info the other day that google had offered them Turn By Turn and everything else? So yeah, it probably would have had turn by turn.

Apple dropped Google maps because they wanted to, even though their replacement was inferior in many ways overall. We have more than enough information now to stop pretending that Google had them in a chokehold and forced them to do it.

KtSlime

Didn't we just get info the other day that google had offered them Turn By Turn and everything else? So yeah, it probably would have had turn by turn.

Apple dropped Google maps because they wanted to, even though their replacement was inferior in many ways overall. We have more than enough information now to stop pretending that Google had them in a chokehold and forced them to do it.

We do not have enough information. We don't know what terms Google wanted Apple to agree to. I know some of us don't care and think Apple should just bend over backwards for whatever Google wants, but isn't the motto everyone is chanting these days that competition is what's best for the customer? I don't see how two mapping solutions is worse than one. We'll get Google Maps, Apple will improve their maps or perish, it's a win-win.

BTW, those shots look good.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

That is a very one sided story, and it is still not clear what what going on with all that. Sounds like they were at a stale-mate, and nowhere near bringing a revamped google maps.

Top Bottom