• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Bgamer90

Banned
Most of the videos i tried to watch didnt play, and my ipads touch screen became unresponsive while using the app, for example if i tried to tap search nothing would happen.

Delete the app and then download it again.

Don't know why, but there's a problem in which the videos don't play when you download the app for the first time. Happened on my iPhone. Downloaded it again and everything worked fine.

Delete the app and then download it again.

Don't know why, but there's a problem in which the videos don't play when you download the app for the first time. Happened on my iPhone. Downloaded it again and everything worked fine.

did that like 10 times, app is garbage ....

Edit: ok to be fair after like the 100th re install it seems to be working kind of ok now

Isn't there an official youtube app?

Nooope not for iPad

Mindwipe

We do not have enough information. We don't know what terms Google wanted Apple to agree to. I know some of us don't care and think Apple should just bend over backwards for whatever Google wants, but isn't the motto everyone is chanting these days that competition is what's best for the customer? I don't see how two mapping solutions is worse than one. We'll get Google Maps, Apple will improve their maps or perish, it's a win-win.

BTW, those shots look good.

Competition is good for the consumer where there's no friction and one side isn't given an advantage by vertical integration.

Ultimately we'll be worse off unless customers can set Google Maps as the basis for the mapkit API available to other third party apps, can change the OS's default mapping programme for following links in other applications to Google's and can give Google's the third party background rendering allowances that Apple only give their own apps.

But I don't think there is any chance of those unless Apple are forced to by anti-competition action.

numble

Competition is good for the consumer where there's no friction and one side isn't given an advantage by vertical integration.

Ultimately we'll be worse off unless customers can set Google Maps as the basis for the mapkit API available to other third party apps, can change the OS's default mapping programme for following links in other applications to Google's and can give Google's the third party background rendering allowances that Apple only give their own apps.

But I don't think there is any chance of those unless Apple are forced to by anti-competition action.
Google and Bing (and Baidu and others) offer iOS-compatible Map APIs, it is up to developers to implement it. Whatever API the developer chooses to link with, will open in that app. There's no standard for a "location" link--you are sending out links to maps.google.com, maps.apple.com, maps.bing.com, etc.

GPS background allowances came in iOS 4. That's why there are so many popular third party navigation apps.

Mindwipe

Google and Bing (and Baidu and others) offer iOS-compatible Map APIs, it is up to developers to implement it. Whatever API the developer chooses to link with, will open in that app.

Oh come on, web based and native APIs aren't remotely comparable in terms of responsiveness and everyone knows it.

There's no standard for a "location" link--you are sending out links to maps.google.com, maps.apple.com, maps.bing.com, etc.

Nope, there's a private API call for it that gives co-ordinate information to the natively installed maps app from Apple in that version of the OS.

GPS background allowances came in iOS 4. That's why there are so many popular third party navigation apps.

The GPS backgrounding API isn't the same as the full backgrounding permission that Apple gives it's own apps.

The iOS5 Google maps/iOS6 Apple maps application is given preferential treatment by the OS when it comes to kicking other software out of memory when running out of RAM, it can start maptile downloads (not just finish an existing request as a third party app can) and it can continue rendering threads.

numble

Oh come on, web based and native APIs aren't remotely comparable in terms of responsiveness and everyone knows it.

Nope, there's a private API call for it that gives co-ordinate information to the natively installed maps app from Apple in that version of the OS.

The GPS backgrounding API isn't the same as the full backgrounding permission that Apple gives it's own apps.

The iOS5 Google maps/iOS6 Apple maps application is given preferential treatment by the OS when it comes to kicking other software out of memory when running out of RAM, it can start maptile downloads (not just finish an existing request as a third party app can) and it can continue rendering threads.
Google can make a native iOS SDK. Bing has one.
http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2011/05/05/new-bing-maps-ios-sdk.aspx

That public API call is not a universal standard for location links. When someone on Android sends an iOS user a link, it will be a maps.google.com link that will open in either a Google Maps app or Google Maps on the web. A developer can choose where they want to send location links to. And they can do it without requiring users to fuss in settings--the new Magazine app from Marco Arment detects whether or not you have Chrome installed and sends links to Chrome if you have it installed.

I think the GPS background API allows rendering threads and starting new downloads. It's specifically one of the exemptions as a "continuous background application" type. And apps that are approved to be "continuous background applications" receive preferential treatment from system suspension.

jcm

Speak for yourself. I'm better off today with turn by turn and vector maps than I was 2 months ago with a google maps api.

Speculation about iOS 6.1: Shared Reminders exist in Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and now they're on the iCloud website. They'll likely be in iOS's next 6.x release.

Also: rumors suggest that Apple is building a Pandora-esque service for iTunes 11 and that'll likely get baked into iOS whenever it comes out.

Angst

Google can make a native iOS SDK. Bing has one.
http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2011/05/05/new-bing-maps-ios-sdk.aspx

That public API call is not a universal standard for location links. When someone on Android sends an iOS user a link, it will be a maps.google.com link that will open in either a Google Maps app or Google Maps on the web. A developer can choose where they want to send location links to. And they can do it without requiring users to fuss in settings--the new Magazine app from Marco Arment detects whether or not you have Chrome installed and sends links to Chrome if you have it installed.

I think the GPS background API allows rendering threads and starting new downloads. It's specifically one of the exemptions as a "continuous background application" type. And apps that are approved to be "continuous background applications" receive preferential treatment from system suspension.

You're talking about a very specific use scenario here. I.e. one user shares an address in Google Maps and texts/mails it to another user. Clicking on address on web pages, calendar appointments or email signatures will send the user to the Apple maps app - with no changeable default apps there's just no way around it. maps.google.com links is not good workaround, it's just a workaround to a bad situation.

KtSlime

I'd like to point out that maps can basically be broken down into 3 parts: Points of Interest, Street & Geographical Labels, and Imagery.

Apple's Map's biggest complaints concern the first one, and the second one the a lesser extent. Most apps that use the mapping API are not concerned with Apple's database of Points of Interest, as they usually use their own data to populate the map. Imagery is the primary use of the API, so they are free to use Google, Bing, Apple, or anyone else, and they are more or less going to be equivalent at this level.

As Angst points out, the bigger concern is Apple not having a way of selecting the default action for parallel installed apps. Can't choose my map, email client, browser, dialer, etc. This is a valid concern, one that hopefully will be addressed in the future by Apple. Until then, people could use copy and paste. Hold down on the address in Contacts, select copy, then paste it into the search field of the map you want to use. Map app developers could make this easier as well. iOS has some pretty sophisticated data-type sniffers that can be used, and if it recognizes the data in the clipboard as an address, it could auto fill the field, further reducing steps needed by the user.

Majine

Banned
I'm still so baffled about the Store redesigns. Why are they so horisontally designed when the primary way you navigate your device is vertical swipes. It feels like I'm browsing a website that is 800% zoomed in.

numble

You're talking about a very specific use scenario here. I.e. one user shares an address in Google Maps and texts/mails it to another user. Clicking on address on web pages, calendar appointments or email signatures will send the user to the Apple maps app - with no changeable default apps there's just no way around it. maps.google.com links is not good workaround, it's just a workaround to a bad situation.
He was talking about an API that a developer implements.

hirokazu

So I'm looking at Apple's multitasking patent and I'm mad because people have been asking for shortcut toggles for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc for years and Apple has just ignored the request.

12.10.16-Multi.jpg

And now it turns out they have at least considered it but they still won't put it in.

So I'm looking at Apple's multitasking patent and I'm mad because people have been asking for shortcut toggles for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc for years and Apple has just ignored the request.

12.10.16-Multi.jpg

And now it turns out they have at least considered it but they still won't put it in.

They need features for iOS 7

I'm still so baffled about the Store redesigns. Why are they so horisontally designed when the primary way you navigate your device is vertical swipes. It feels like I'm browsing a website that is 800% zoomed in.

It's one of the most stupid designs in Apple history. Even worse than the faux leather binding in calendar.app

noah111

Still Alive

http://photos.appleinsider.com/12.10.16-Multi.jpg[IMG]

And now it turns out they have at least considered it but they still won't put it in.[/QUOTE]
Those patents are interesting, there's quite a few shots.

But yeah, they're surely looking into changing up the switcher for iPad-like quick-switching as well as implementing toggles.. and from the looks of that, probably not in the notification center either.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

12.10.16-Multi.jpg

So they can do cease and desist requests to tweak developers. :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eff the podcast app. Now I cant download the giantbombcast. Just says preparing to download.

hirokazu

Those patents are interesting, there's quite a few shots.

But yeah, they're surely looking into changing up the switcher for iPad-like quick-switching as well as implementing toggles.. and from the looks of that, probably not in the notification center either.

Makes more sense in the multitasking tray, though the Notification Center is way more convenient. i hate the Home button!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Considering I almost never "Search" for apps, I've absolutely adore the new App Store. Updates, charts, info pages. All of them are a great upgrade, and it responds fantastic on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

One item per search result "card" is stupid though. Luckily a stupidity I never really have to suffer through.

bonesquad

Considering I almost never "Search" for apps, I've absolutely adore the new App Store. Updates, charts, info pages. All of them are a great upgrade, and it responds fantastic on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

One item per search result "card" is stupid though. Luckily a stupidity I never really have to suffer through.

I agree. Overall I really like the new store. The app pages are definitely nicer. Don't like the horizontal scrolling icons? That's what the See All is for to view them in a nice list. Though it boggles my mind the shit that is listed high (how is that slenderman crap app still 3rd, and that Mario ripoff as well).

They do need to fix the stupid search design and purchased apps list that takes forever to load. Those are my two complaints.

Edit: this is nice. Everytime I go to move an app, my phone restarts. Lol, wtf?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I agree. Overall I really like the new store. The app pages are definitely nicer. Don't like the horizontal scrolling icons? That's what the See All is for to view them in a nice list. Though it boggles my mind the shit that is listed high (how is that slenderman crap app still 3rd, and that Mario ripoff as well).

They do need to fix the stupid search design and purchased apps list that takes forever to load. Those are my two complaints.
Care to point me toward this feature? Because I don't see it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is literally the reason I stopped using and deleted the Chomp app. So they go and buy the company and integrate its shitty UI into the official store. Horrible.

I haven't really dug through to see if this is a common problem, but I have serious issues with the podcast app (which is probably what I use the most).

The first is that it constantly tells me I have tons of new, unplayed podcasts. I will go to that podcast and tell it to mark all as played. It will be good for a few days, then again tells me there are a bunch of unplaced episodes (which are usually quite old).

The second is how it functions with my headphones that include a button for controls. I use that a lot to play/pause. But sometimes (unpredictably) if I hit play it will start playing a song from the Music app and not the last podcast I was listening too, even if the last thing I paused was the podcast.

I have other more minor issues with the subscription feature, but those are my main gripes. One other one is that it keeps older episodes even when I tell it I just want to keep the most recent.

It sucks because some of the new features of the podcast app are great. Love the idea of subscribing and auto-downloading via wireless. Love the rewind 10 seconds button, since I almost never wanted to rewind a full 30 seconds. Love the skip forward 30 seconds. But the other stuff is really, really irritating and makes me wish I could just go back to playing from the Music app and sync with my computer.

LCfiner

^ you can go back to using itunes and the iphone music app if you want.

delete the podcast app. kill the music player app (via multitasking tray) and when you launch it again, you will have your podcasts back in the music player app.

I am holding off on using that podcast app until absolutely necessary. (likely with itunes 11 launch, but I hope not). and if that day does come, I'll start up with instacast or downcast and figure out how I can sync (or easily get audio) to the computer.

Bgamer90

Banned
Man, the Jasmine app is being forced to remove its background audio feature.

So if you still want it, back up the app and/or don't update it.

bonesquad

Man, the Jasmine app is being forced to remove its background audio feature.

So if you still want it, back up the app and/or don't update it.

And there goes any usefulness that app had. Seriously, already a number of videos were blocked from the app. The only point now is that it's widescreen on the iPhone 5.

In the app itself there's an Announcement notice at the bottom of the screen you can click to read more. It isn't an issue with Apple, or even Google/YouTube so much as "certain content providers" are complaining to Google... one guess who that includes:)

bonesquad

Hmm, I can't recall the specifics right now but a few times I tried to play a video Jasmine gave me an error that the video was blocked. I could play the video just fine in the official YouTube app (after watching an ad:) I'm not saying this was the majority of cases, maybe it was a clip for some tv show or a music video, but it was a bummer since originally the same clip did play fine. Maybe they are filtered out of search results now.

Tobor

delete the podcast app. kill the music player app (via multitasking tray) and when you launch it again, you will have your podcasts back in the music player app.

I am holding off on using that podcast app until absolutely necessary. (likely with itunes 11 launch, but I hope not). and if that day does come, I'll start up with instacast or downcast and figure out how I can sync (or easily get audio) to the computer.

You have an iPhone 5, though. The Podcast app runs perfectly on the 5. I haven't had a single issue with it since upgrading. There's no reason to hold off.

LCfiner

You have an iPhone 5, though. The Podcast app runs perfectly on the 5. I haven't had a single issue with it since upgrading. There's no reason to hold off.

the reason for me to hold off now is that I still listen to podcasts on my imac a lot (probably moreso than on the iphone). so I need itunes sync for playback position. And that won't occur til itunes 11 uses icloud to sync position with the iOS app.

I'll give it a shot when that time comes (next week, I guess?) but if I find the iOS app to be troublesome (or icloud sync to be unreliable), then I may go looking for a new solution (it's also possible - maybe even likely - that Apple will maintain traditional sync with podcasts to keep compatibility with ipods. so I might just keep using that.)

Tobor

the reason for me to hold off now is that I still listen to podcasts on my imac a lot (probably moreso than on the iphone). so I need itunes sync for playback position. And that won't occur til itunes 11 uses icloud to sync position with the iOS app.

I'll give it a shot when that time comes (next week, I guess?) but if I find the iOS app to be troublesome (or icloud sync to be unreliable), then I may go looking for a new solution (it's also possible - maybe even likely - that Apple will maintain traditional sync with podcasts to keep compatibility with ipods. so I might just keep using that.)

Gotcha. Interesting that our use cases are so different. I haven't listened to a podcast on a traditional computer in years. It was always just a holding place until I could sync. I turned off all the podcast stuff in my desktop iTunes once I stopped syncing.

Ah, thanks! Did that, back to just syncing with my computer. This really sucks though. It's just a compromise and now I can't download podcasts via wifi. I might check out some of these 3rd-party apps people are talking about. Do any of them actually let you save to your device? Streaming is OK sometimes but I'm off wifi a lot and don't like using more data than i have to and I'm on planes a good deal so totally useless then.

Come on Apple, fix this shit! It's actually pretty damn close, just these pesky bugs that can't be all that hard to fix.

LCfiner

Gotcha. Interesting that our use cases are so different. I haven't listened to a podcast on a traditional computer in years. It was always just a holding place until I could sync. I turned off all the podcast stuff in my desktop iTunes once I stopped syncing.

well, I've noticed from your posts that you've dived headfirst into iOS and have used laptops and/or desktops much less the last couple of years.

I use my ipad and iphone quite a bit but I am still a really heavy user of my iMac. I really, really like having a 27" screen and the ability to have tons of windows visible all at once. If I had a laptop with an 11 or 13" screen, it wouldn't be as compelling as the big screen as an option while in the house and i might be using the ipad even more than I do now.

Am I crazy or is there no easy way to upload your photos to online services like Flickr on the OS level?

I swear this was an original pitched feature. Hmmm.

Tobor

well, I've noticed from your posts that you've dived headfirst into iOS and have used laptops and/or desktops much less the last couple of years.

I use my ipad and iphone quite a bit but I am still a really heavy user of my iMac. I really, really like having a 27" screen and the ability to have tons of windows visible all at once. If I had a laptop with an 11 or 13" screen, it wouldn't be as compelling as the big screen as an option while in the house and i might be using the ipad even more than I do now.

You're definitely right about my general usage. Its down to a media hub/gaming machine. That said, my habit with podcasts started with iPods before the iPhone even existed.

Even when sitting at my desk at a computer, I have always listened to podcasts on the iPod. and later, the iPhone. Either through headphones or speakers.

Top Bottom