• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

noah111

Still Alive
Made this mockup of how quick-replying to notifications could look, i.e. replying to a text/tweet/fb message without having to go to that app or leave the current one you're in. You'd just tap on a reply or compose icon on the banner (would look like this), and it would expand into that compose view.

Basically like that JB tweak biteSMS, but simpler.

Also, I can't believe this thing has been around since 2007 unchanged;

ios_old_sms.jpg

Especially since they introduced the white-banners style, it makes no sense that the alert view for app notifications are still using that outdated look. It's funny how the banners view actually shows you an app icon yet the alerts view, with all that space, only shows the text.

Apps set to alerts view should look more like banners imo, something like this.

Mindwipe

Ah, thanks! Did that, back to just syncing with my computer. This really sucks though. It's just a compromise and now I can't download podcasts via wifi. I might check out some of these 3rd-party apps people are talking about. Do any of them actually let you save to your device? Streaming is OK sometimes but I'm off wifi a lot and don't like using more data than i have to and I'm on planes a good deal so totally useless then.

Come on Apple, fix this shit! It's actually pretty damn close, just these pesky bugs that can't be all that hard to fix.

Urgh. That would still leave it's horrible UI.

Just kill the thing with fire, and have the iTunes Music Store app sync subscription lists with iTunes and allow one tap downloading of new episodes (or ideally background automate it with iCloud backups under those same circumstances).

Made this mockup of how quick-replying to notifications could look, i.e. replying to a text/tweet/fb message without having to go to that app or leave the current one you're in. You'd just tap on a reply or compose icon on the banner (would look like this), and it would expand into that compose view.

ios_old_sms.jpg

Especially since they introduced the white-banners style, it makes no sense that the alert view for app notifications are still using that outdated look. It's funny how the banners view actually shows you an app icon yet the alerts view, with all that space, only shows the text.

forstall.jpg

ios_old_sms.jpg

This looks GODLIKE.

Enco

Every time I try to use the new maps I get dissapointed all over again.

Not ONCE has it found what I need or helped me in any way. It's so out of date and plain wrong it's ridiculous. I know the hate train has passed but damn its annoying.

Appleman

I'm not sure how much I like the large notification justified to the top of the screen... it would have to "roll in" or slide in and even then...

Just seems like putting it to the top of the screen gives the false impression that it doesn't require a tap to proceed with the phone whereas the current implementation "takes over the screen".

I remember having an idea a while back that when a notification popped up if you slid it down it would reveal the app itself instead of the notification center, similar to the camera app on the homescreen. That way an app that doesn't use replies could still be quickly interacted with.
Not sure how feasible this would be with memory restraints and save states

Notification->quick slide down->quick message/interaction->quick slide back up and you're back to the app you were in.

Something like

noah111

Still Alive
I'm not sure how much I like the large notification justified to the top of the screen... it would have to "roll in" or slide in and even then...

Just seems like putting it to the top of the screen gives the false impression that it doesn't require a tap to proceed with the phone whereas the current implementation "takes over the screen".
True, but remember that app alerts aren't necessarily awaiting a yes or no type of response. You're thinking of system-based alerts, such as the privacy requests. Alerts for apps don't really need that type of focus, it only needs to provide you with the full information (vs condensed with banners). For the system-based stuff though, I was thinking something like this (sorry for the weird orientation);

As for the animation, it would actually be the same as the current banners, except once it has 'folded' onto the screen it would expand/slide out to the full view.

Something like
That wouldn't work for many apps, though, since not all of them use a UI that places the text entry field as a footer.

jcm

Every time I try to use the new maps I get dissapointed all over again.

Not ONCE has it found what I need or helped me in any way. It's so out of date and plain wrong it's ridiculous. I know the hate train has passed but damn its annoying.

Where do you live?

jts

...hate me...
Is there away to get rid of vibration in alarms? Just alarms though. Now that you can choose to wake up to a full song, it would be nice to able to listen to it without that stupid rattling.

LCfiner

You're definitely right about my general usage. Its down to a media hub/gaming machine. That said, my habit with podcasts started with iPods before the iPhone even existed.

Even when sitting at my desk at a computer, I have always listened to podcasts on the iPod. and later, the iPhone
. Either through headphones or speakers.

hmm. that is definitely different than how I do it. Thinking about it, it's too late for me to take this up. I've got major muscle memory for using the Mac keyboard itunes controls. Moving that control to an iphone would weird me out at this point.

consider me hopeful that the iOS app and the icloud sync to the new itunes works as an upgrade to the current solution.

Future

You should at the very least be able to respond to messages, maybe even mail, in notification center. That's the interface that can roll on top of any other, so it makes sense to me to have dialogue boxes pop up in there if need be.

This also a place where iPad needs to some updates as far as OS shit. Tiny notification center offering no extra functionality that would be easily provided through larger screen real estate

Urgh. That would still leave it's horrible UI.

Just kill the thing with fire, and have the iTunes Music Store app sync subscription lists with iTunes and allow one tap downloading of new episodes (or ideally background automate it with iCloud backups under those same circumstances).

I would be very OK with this. I was excited to learn I could sync subscriptions wirelessly but I shouldn't need a whole new app to do it.

noah111

Still Alive
External keyboard, Sentry?
*the magic of quick mockups* :p
The buttons should also be labeled cancel and send (not close and reply), for example.

PS. The JB tweak that's coming along (based off of this concept) just might end up being iPad compatible as well; http://i.imgur.com/qDbEgl.jpg

But the 3:2 & 16:9 versions are coming along nicely, mainly just the ground work right now but visually it's basically done. Did all the toggle icon files the other day for example.

waypoetic

Banned
Last week, a city i visited was all black and white in the map-app. Amazing. No T-Fords or little boy's yelling the latest news on the corner of the trainstation though...

snacknuts

we all knew her
My wife has an iPhone 4S and has been having lots of trouble with it since "upgrading" to iOS6. Now she's having an issue where the phone just shuts itself off a couple times a day and won't turn back on unless she plugs it into the charger. Would a backup > factory reset > restore help with something like this?

noah111

Still Alive
It seems like Sentry is putting more thought and work into these mockups than Apple's software team is putting into iOS.
I probably wouldn't go that far, but thanks. There are definitely parts of iOS that are lacking and have been lacking for a while.

Jobs said it was 5 years ahead of its time when the iPhone was announced, but the fact is has been 5 years since then and the lack of further innovations are starting to catching up to them.

I honestly think Forstall has somewhat mismanaged the focus and priorities of the iOS team recently, especially with iOS adapting to feel like a natural fit for different screen sizes, vs being a scaling process.

Ashhong

http://azadzahoory.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ios_old_sms.jpg

damn this makes me so sad that its not already on the OS.

Actually, what does Apple and Google have against instant quick reply? Even Android doesn't have it. It's the most basic feature.

*the magic of quick mockups* :p
The buttons should also be labeled cancel and send (not close and reply), for example.

PS. The JB tweak that's coming along (based off of this concept) just might end up being iPad compatible as well; http://i.imgur.com/qDbEgl.jpg

But the 3:2 & 16:9 versions are coming along nicely, mainly just the ground work right now but visually it's basically done. Did all the toggle icon files the other day for example.

Wait. Is this really happening? I mean you told me they contacted you and whatnot, but they are really going to implement this? If so, FUCK YES!

Also, text popup notification: I thought you can change how you'd like notifications i.e. fullscreen or top bar.

P.S. If there's a feature I'd like is the fact that when someone calls you, you can still browse the phone/web without rejecting the phone (That "ignore" button isn't really ignore lol). I don't like it when someone calls me and I am in no mood to talk but I'm browsing, so if I hang up they'll know I did! [/socially_awkward_sometimes] D:

Tobor

I probably wouldn't go that far, but thanks. There are definitely parts of iOS that are lacking and have been lacking for a while.

Jobs said it was 5 years ahead of its time when the iPhone was announced, but the fact is has been 5 years since then and the lack of further innovations are starting to catching up to them.

I honestly think Forstall has somewhat mismanaged the focus and priorities of the iOS team recently, especially with iOS adapting to feel like a natural fit for different screen sizes, vs being a scaling process.

The focus of his team this year was Maps, maps, maps. Regardless of the outcome(and the UI and implementation of Maps is not the issue), that needed to happen, and was not mismanagement, IMO. Next year will be interesting, as they will presumably have more time to work on stuff like you propose.

Your proposals are fine, but they do nothing I need or see as a shortcoming. Nothing I would characterize as mismanagement by not implementing.

Now, on the other hand, build me a mockup for editing metadata in the iOS Music app. I'll beat the drum all day for that. :)

Ashhong

P.S. If there's a feature I'd like is the fact that when someone calls you, you can still browse the phone/web without rejecting the phone (That "ignore" button isn't really ignore lol). I don't like it when someone calls me and I am in no mood to talk but I'm browsing, so if I hang up they'll know I did! [/socially_awkward_sometimes] D:

Does pressing the volume button not silence the ringer anymore? I think it used to back in the day..do that and then press home to go back to what you were doing, no?

The focus of his team this year was Maps, maps, maps. Regardless of the outcome(and the UI and implementation of Maps is not the issue), that needed to happen, and was not mismanagement, IMO. Next year will be interesting, as they will presumably have more time to work on stuff like you propose.

Your proposals are fine, but they do nothing I need or see as a shortcoming. Nothing I would characterize as mismanagement by not implementing.

Now, on the other hand, build me a mockup for editing metadata in the iOS Music app. I'll beat the drum all day for that. :)

I think the ignoring of extra vertical space in something like the multitasking and also the album art issue are shortcomings..definitely something they should have paid more attention to.

noah111

Still Alive
Where did I say anything about Maps? I get that it had to be done, and imo the actual app UI is pretty beautiful in its minimalism, but that shouldn't have detracted from 16:9 iOS, for example.

Your proposals are fine, but they do nothing I need or see as a shortcoming. Nothing I would characterize as mismanagement by not implementing
I never said them not implementing my small proposals = them mismanaging. You're mixing up conversations there a bit. Putting aside any of the mockups, my point was just that they haven't managed to keep the momentum going on the software side and it has noticeably dwindled on the OS front over the years. I think they're a bit too comfortable, actually.

If there was a big feature like copy & paste today that took them just as long to implement, it would be an issue. Back then it wasn't as much because there was a lack of real or viable competition.

But coming back to the concepts, they may do nothing to fulfill your particular needs (somehow), but some are huge reasons why most people either jailbreak or even switch to android. You didn't need 'do not disturb' or 'remind me later' for calls either, but you still got them. The lack of those wouldn't be considered a shortcoming, but their inclusion is still a gain.

For example, i'm pretty sure editing metadata for music would get far less daily use out of people than toggles or quick replying. That still doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done, though.

Sean

Banned

Dunno if I buy the focus on Maps excuse, because Apple changed up the UI in several areas (translucent status bar, new phone dialer, matte toolbar in some apps, new UI for music app, etc). They just did a sort of half-assed and inconsistent job on it IMO.

jcm

I'm live in the UK. The city I'm in isn't huge but I would think it's big enough to be up to date. Considering Google was perfect (almost), it's a shame to see Apple so behind. Or Yelp.

Yes, most reports say that the data outside the US, and particularly in Europe, is in really bad shape. Hopefully they can buy or license a better European dataset soon.

noah111

Still Alive
I really meant something like this (1.5M gif) which would work as a quick view for any app, even those without simple "replies".
Ohh, I see. But at that point it's no different from tapping on the banner apart from the animation and the fact that it switches back after hitting send. Cool idea though, even though actual implementation would probably be confusing to the user.

Appleman

Ohh, I see. But at that point it's no different from tapping on the banner apart from the animation and the fact that it switches back after hitting send. Cool idea though, even though actual implementation would probably be confusing to the user.

Yep, the biggest gain is saving the doubletap->drawer animation->app tap->switch app animation when you're done with it (or home button->animation->hunt for app->app tap->open animation for users unfamiliar with the multitasking tray). And I sort of envisioned the user sliding the tray back up (maybe a visual indicator that it's a drawer like in NC or around the homescreen camera icon)

Tobor

Where did I say anything about Maps? I get that it had to be done, and imo the actual app UI is pretty beautiful in its minimalism, but that shouldn't have detracted from 16:9 iOS, for example.

I never said them not implementing my small proposals = them mismanaging. You're mixing up conversations there a bit. Putting aside any of the mockups, my point was just that they haven't managed to keep the momentum going on the software side and it has noticeably dwindled on the OS front over the years. I think they're a bit too comfortable, actually.

If there was a big feature like copy & paste today that took them just as long to implement, it would be an issue. Back then it wasn't as much because there was a lack of real or viable competition.

But coming back to the concepts, they may do nothing to fulfill your particular needs (somehow), but some are huge reasons why most people either jailbreak or even switch to android. You didn't need 'do not disturb' or 'remind me later' for calls either, but you still got them. The lack of those wouldn't be considered a shortcoming, but their inclusion is still a gain.

For example, i'm pretty sure editing metadata for music would get far less daily use out of people than toggles or quick replying. That still doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done, though.

I don't understand what you mean. You are saying they've mismanaged the year, but if your proposals aren't the answer, then what should Apple have done differently?

Are you just wanting change for changes sake?

Appleman

I don't understand what you mean. You are saying they've mismanaged the year, but if your proposals aren't the answer, then what should Apple have done differently?

It's still change for the better, but not one that fixes an obvious "flaw" in the OS. Mostly just nice-to-haves like DnD that no one was clamouring for but is a welcome addition. The iOS team has been slacking on some of these things lately.

noah111

Still Alive

So if I think they've mismanaged iOS, it's somehow me just wanting change for change's sake? C'mon now, tobor..

When they're changing adding gradients to status bars, creating clashing system UI's, and poorly adapting the OS to new screen dimensions, yes I think Forstall might've mismanaged priorities.

My proposals aren't meant to be "the answer" as you call it. There is no silver bullet that would put iOS 5 years again, but the focus should be on improving functionality where there's opportunity to, as well as innovating with new ideas. Both of which I feel (and most people, quite frankly) they have not been doing enough of lately.

LCfiner

Yeah, I gotta agree with Sentry and a few others here. iOS 6 has one huge new thing (Maps) and a lot of small changes for change's sake. That accelerometer controlled glistening volume knob is a good example. It's completely unnecessary. Or the status bar color change and the code to obtain said color from the gradient of the menu bar...

A lot of the requests that people have had for iOS the last few years have fallen under niche requests. But now that Apple devs are spending time on really arbitrary and silly changes, I really think they should have added these functional, niche tweaks and spent less time working out new color schemes.

iOS 7 should really add some capability for 3rd party widgets in the NC. some UI fixes to the NC UI (fix the teensy tiny close button, for one). Music metadata editing. toggles for system settings in NC or the multitasking tray. If iOS 6 contained just one or two of these things, it wouldn't seem like such an empty update.

Tobor

So if I think they've mismanaged it's somehow me just wanting change for change's sake? C'mon now, tobor..

When they're changing adding gradients to status bars, creating clashing system UI's, and poorly adapting the OS to new screen dimensions, yes I think Forstall might've mismanaged priorities.

My proposals aren't meant to be "the answer" as you call it. There is no silver bullet that would put iOS 5 years again, but the focus should be on improving functionality where there's opportunity to, as well as innovating with new ideas. Both of which I feel (and most people, quite frankly) they have not been doing enough of lately.

Well, your comments about 16x9 are interesting, because other than increasing the height of the multitasking bar as you suggested, I'm not seeing what else needed to be done that wasn't done. The OS works fine at this ratio.

As to the rest, as I said, I would bet Maps pushed a lot of changes and features back a year. That was clearly the focus. Maps was the last piece of low hanging fruit, and it was a big piece of fruit.

EDIT: next year will be NFC. Lets see what they do with it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I think the cusp of the whole issue is that Apple used to show us why we needed things we didn't know we needed. Now we're showing Apple what we "need". If the blame falls on an an insanely revolutionary and exciting time in tech being over (birth of iPhone and post PC) or due to Fortstall's team stalling is a different argument.

buhdeh

damn this makes me so sad that its not already on the OS.

Actually, what does Apple and Google have against instant quick reply? Even Android doesn't have it. It's the most basic feature.

Well at least it's possible on Android. Whatsapp has a quick-reply notification pop-up that you can enable and cyanogenmod's messaging app also gives you a quick-reply button in the notification drop down.

noah111

Still Alive
Well, your comments about 16x9 are interesting, because other than increasing the height of the multitasking bar as you suggested, I'm not seeing what else needed to be done that wasn't done. The OS works fine at this ratio.
That's the thing.. it's not about what needed to be done, it's about would could have been done. Just like with the iPad, where the OS 'works fine' on that aspect ratio, there's still so much missed opportunity.

EDIT: next year will be NFC. Lets see what they do with it.
iOS is basically all ready to adopt NFC, so that's an almost all-hardware side change; not a big leap for iOS.

Yep, the biggest gain is saving the doubletap->drawer animation->app tap->switch app animation when you're done with it (or home button->animation->hunt for app->app tap->open animation for users unfamiliar with the multitasking tray). And I sort of envisioned the user sliding the tray back up (maybe a visual indicator that it's a drawer like in NC or around the homescreen camera icon)
Oh yeah, that totally makes sense; putting a little grabber icon on the far right of a banner, and being able to pull it down, then push it back up (as you said, like the camera on the lock screen).

Functionally though it would still need to load up the app you slide in (just like switching to it would) and reload the app you were in (just like switching back), but that would still be a cool implementation.

Have you even used iOS 6? The update is literally full of small, pointless changes that Apple's implemented just to say they've changed stuff.

buhdeh

Have you even used iOS 6? The update is literally full of small, pointless changes that Apple's implemented just to say they've changed stuff.

"New pull to refresh animation in Mail"
*crowd cheers*

Don't think there was really a single change to my iPad 3 with iOS 6 that would make me say I *need* this update.

Ashhong

Well at least it's possible on Android. Whatsapp has a quick-reply notification pop-up that you can enable and cyanogenmod's messaging app also gives you a quick-reply button in the notification drop down.

Well it's possible on the iPhone if you count jailbreaking. Just seems like a huge oversight by Apple and Google and I don't understand it.

KtSlime

"New pull to refresh animation in Mail"
*crowd cheers*

Don't think there was really a single change to my iPad 3 with iOS 6 that would make me say I *need* this update.

To be fair, the pull to refresh is a new system API included in the iOS 6 SDK that 3rd party developers are now free to use without needing to implement their own. Several apps I use have already been updated with this feature.

To be fair, the pull to refresh is a new system API included in the iOS 6 SDK that 3rd party developers are now free to use without needing to implement their own. Several apps I use have already been updated with this feature.

Does that mean if you're on iOS5 and you update an app that does this, that pull to refresh no longer works? Dual implementation? Or app won't update because it requires iOS6?

KtSlime

Does that mean if you're on iOS5 and you update an app that does this, that pull to refresh no longer works? Dual implementation? Or app won't update because it requires iOS6?

Unfortunately I am not sure. I believe that is up to the developer, like most new APIs. The app I just tried out on my iPad running 5, does not have a refresh button anywhere, but is the latest version, and it does not support pull to refresh like it does on my iPhone 4 running 6.

Top Bottom