• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

snacknuts

we all knew her
My wife has an iPhone 4S and has been having lots of trouble with it since "upgrading" to iOS6. Now she's having an issue where the phone just shuts itself off a couple times a day and won't turn back on unless she plugs it into the charger. Would a backup > factory reset > restore help with something like this?

Re-posting for new page. Surprisingly little information to be found on Google.

"New pull to refresh animation in Mail"
*crowd cheers*

Don't think there was really a single change to my iPad 3 with iOS 6 that would make me say I *need* this update.

I appreciate being able to use Siri to set an alarm while I'm in bed without having to pick up the tablet.

That's about it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So I just found out that Do Not Disturb does not allow calls from my favorites even if I have that option selected. Anyone else with a similar issue? My wife's phone also does the same thing. :/

jcm

So I just found out that Do Not Disturb does not allow calls from my favorites even if I have that option selected. Anyone else with a similar issue? My wife's phone also does the same thing. :/

It works for me. You can see that number in the favorites list of the phone app? Each number has to be listed, not just the contact.

andycapps

Re-posting for new page. Surprisingly little information to be found on Google.

If there's no information on Google on it, I'd think it's an anomaly and something that you could hopefully fix via a wipe and restore. Otherwise it's probably a hardware issue.

Well it's possible on the iPhone if you count jailbreaking. Just seems like a huge oversight by Apple and Google and I don't understand it.

Due to Google's policy on replacement text apps, you can also get text messaging apps that replace stock that have the pop up functionality. That's without rooting.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It works for me. You can see that number in the favorites list of the phone app? Each number has to be listed, not just the contact.

Yeah, the number is listed :/

Well, it shows her name and to the right it says iPhone, but the actual number is not listed unless I hit the arrow and see her full contact.

Anyone know how to enable the arrow when using maps to navigate? I just have the little dot showing, no arrows or anything. Is that how the new navi works? Btw, I have iOS6 on an iPhone 4.

Edit: Silly question I know, but I'm curious. I have other navi's I could use instead. I'm just asking.

Anyone know how to enable the arrow when using maps to navigate? I just have the little dot showing, no arrows or anything. Is that how the new navi works? Btw, I have iOS6 on an iPhone 4.

Edit: Silly question I know, but I'm curious. I have other navi's I could use instead. I'm just asking.

Same as before, double tap the arrow in the bottom left to see your direction. I think that's what you're asking.

Not sure where to put this. I pre ordered an album on iTunes and the available track downloaded but it still lists the album at 12.99 instead of purchased, the album isn't out yet. Is that normal?

Not sure where to put this. I pre ordered an album on iTunes and the available track downloaded but it still lists the album at 12.99 instead of purchased, the album isn't out yet. Is that normal?
Yeah as far as I remember that sounds right. If you check your preorders in your account page and it's there then everything should be fine.

nib95

Banned
My 4S is still on iOS5. What's the consensus, stay on 5 or update to iOS6? I've used the latter in several iPhones and not really seen a compelling reason to update. The maps thing making me want the opposite.

Thoughts?

My 4S is still on iOS5. What's the consensus, stay on 5 or update to iOS6? I've used the latter in several iPhones and not really seen a compelling reason to update. The maps thing making me want the opposite.

Thoughts?

I feel like you've already answered your own question.

Thoughts?

No real reason to update tbh. But i've been using it, and it's fine.

Wait until there is a must have game that needs 6, then update.

Ovid

Thoughts?
No reason. I have a 4S too and I would've stayed on iOS 5.0.1 if Apple still offered 5.1.1. I was having battery issues and unfortunately iOS 6 was my only option.

6 is okay, nothing groundbreaking. Apple Maps is bad, Google Maps is better. Once I saw Sentry's post about the Google Maps app being in alpha I felt better on making the update.

Link

The Autumn Wind
As much as I find turn-by-turn useful, I'm still regretting updating a bit. Lots of bugs and just an unpolished feel to things. Hopefully, an update tightens things up.

jcm

I suppose. But was kind of hoping someone on here would pop in and remind me why I need iOS6 instead?

I think it depends on where you are. If maps sucks in your town and you need it, then don;t upgrade. Otherwise, do the upgrade, because new maps is much better (in major us cities, anyway), siri is much better, dnd is handy, panorama photos are cool, and there's lots of little convenience improvements.

noah111

Still Alive
I still can't believe there is no calculator on the iPad. Jesus. I had to choose between fucking googling it with safari or asking siri and looking like a doofus.

I ended up asking siri...
YOU WIN APPLE, WAS IT WORTH IT?

noah111

Still Alive
Realized that there's somehow still no decent jailbreak tweak that brings real multitasking to the iPad, so I started on this concept;

multitasking%20ipad%203.jpg

^click for vid

Runs two portrait apps in landscape mode (or two landscape apps in portrait, but this works/looks better), with a little carousel app slider at the bottom of each showing all the apps from the switcher. Still incomplete, but you get the general idea. Activation method would use the current four finger gestures to switch between apps, except stopping in the middle and releasing to join the two.

I'd love to do something as simple as browse gaf while watching a YT video, or writing while studying/reading from safari, etc. Pretty much the main advantage my MBP has over my iPad tbh.

Ah well, might post this one on the verge and hope someone turns it into a JB tweak as well. :lol

Realized that there's somehow still no decent jailbreak tweak that brings real multitasking to the iPad, so I started on this concept;

Runs two portrait apps in landscape mode (or two landscape apps in portrait, but this works/looks better), with a little carousel app slider at the bottom of each showing all the apps from the switcher. Still incomplete, but you get the general idea. Activation method would use the current four finger gestures to switch between apps, except stopping in the middle and releasing to join the two.

I'd love to do something as simple as browse gaf while watching a YT video, or writing while studying/reading from safari, etc. Pretty much the main advantage my MBP has over my iPad tbh.

Ah well, might post this one on the verge and hope someone turns it into a JB tweak as well. :lol

I approve.

ant1532

Banned
Ugh, anyone see how clunky iOS6 looks on iPhone 5? A LOT of apps don't support the screen resolution and even some apple built stuff is off. iPod music now playing art is displayed but the effort looks lazy and unsymmetrical.

lupinko

I really wish the colors/layout were all uniform for the music player. I have no clue what they were thinking, some of it looks nice, then the other parts left to be desired.

Is this lack of attention to detail is really unApple like.

And yes, I'm sure people already brought this up way back during iOS6 Beta.

Majine

Banned
Yeah, needs more stitched leather.

I meant more that Apple's philosophy is a scaled down experience. They always talk about "getting rid of distractions". The thought of people doing several things as once, as in Sentry's mockup above, must seem foreign to them.

I meant more that Apple's philosophy is a scaled down experience. They always talk about "getting rid of distractions". The thought of people doing several things as once, as in Sentry's mockup above, must seem foreign to them.
What you're saying is partly true. If they believe there is a convincing scenario in which making that is necessary and that they have a solution that is simple and helpful, they'll do it.

They went three years without multitasking and cut/paste. They're not afraid to hold things off until they feel they have something good (even if their multitasking is pretty garbage right now).

noah111

Still Alive
I see your point, but I would go as far to say that the philosophy with the iPad is an incomplete one. Compared to iOS on a 3.5" the OS is more or less the exact same as far as functionality goes. That's definitely missed opportunity.

If you remember how apple revealed it, the iPad was supposed to be at the crossroads between an iPhone and a MacBook, yet that's only true in form factor. I remember everyone expecting OS X on it or some kind of iOS hybrid, but instead it was just the same os on mobile, stretched.

And I doubt the idea is foreign to them, anyone who's ever used a desktop OS in their lives (90% of iPad users?) have probably multitasked before in some fashion. Hell, on a screen just an inch or two bigger than the iPad, even (MacBook Air). Also, that's still quite a scaled down experience as it is. The access method is intentionally subtle and non convoluted with other iOS elements (like the switcher).

As Liu said, as long as it's a simple solution that offers something they think their user base will benefit from, while not interfering with what already exists, there's nothing they won't do.

Mindwipe

I really wish the colors/layout were all uniform for the music player. I have no clue what they were thinking, some of it looks nice, then the other parts left to be desired.

Is this lack of attention to detail is really unApple like.

And yes, I'm sure people already brought this up way back during iOS6 Beta.

The app store is even worse. I'm trying really hard to avoid saying that "Steve would have never allowed this." In most cases it's not true, Steve would have allowed Maps for example as his hatred for Google was clearly clouding his best judgement by the end.

But this?
iyRvb.png

Or this?
KLVq0.png

Or this?
GehZY.png

Or this?
WS9BR.png

No.

The app store is even worse. I'm trying really hard to avoid saying that "Steve would have never allowed this." In most cases it's not true, Steve would have allowed Maps for example as his hatred for Google was clearly clouding his best judgement by the end.

But this?

No.
SJ wouldn't have allowed "Apps by Apple" or ways to categorize apps?! NOOOO!

Mindwipe

What am I supposed to be seeing that's so wrong here that Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed? Most of that shit was already around when he was..

1) The charts and categories buttons pushing the title of the section from the centre of the screen (the category button, if there at all, should be aligned left).

2) The editor's choice and free banners are completely different sizes while right next to each other on a swipe, and not aligned together.

3) Not vertically centred in any way.

4) Kearning disaster.

I don't really see how any of this crap was there when Jobs was around. Maybe it is just a co-incidence, but it's typical of the shoddy design of the new app store.

Ok... I officially hate the traffic data system in the new Maps. I can't tell if a specific highway/freeway is clear or data hasn't been retrieved. It's easier to interpret Google's traffic data. Green means clear, red means traffic. If there is no data, there is no traffic color. Simple and very easy/quick to understand.

noah111

Still Alive
Ok, those screencaps were confusing. I didn't realize they were single images, thought it was just cropped shots. Yeah, a few of those are pretty bad, but I still laugh at the SJ correlation.

Ok... I officially hate the traffic data system in the new Maps. I can't tell if a specific highway/freeway is clear or data hasn't been retrieved. It's easier to interpret Google's traffic data. Green means clear, red means traffic. If there is no data, there is no traffic color. Simple and very easy/quick to understand.

Yeah, that's my main beef with Maps. Especially here in LA.

I've been using the Bing Apps for my traffic since iOS6.

Top Bottom