• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

jcm

The app store is even worse. I'm trying really hard to avoid saying that "Steve would have never allowed this." In most cases it's not true, Steve would have allowed Maps for example as his hatred for Google was clearly clouding his best judgement by the end.

No.

Apple made some ugly stuff under Steve Jobs. Don;t forget he was responsible for the brushed metal everywhere. He's the one who pushed for skeuomorphism everywhere. He's the one who approved a Notes app with Marker Felt.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish there was a way to tell the App Store that I don't want to update an app. Updates are released very often so I end up with a badge almost permanently on my App Store icon. I'd rather be able to go in and say 'no, don't care about that angry birds update' so it removes the notifier.

LCfiner

Regardless of whether SJ would have allowed some of this stuff to get through, there are still some issues of software UI that isn't quite polished. That kind of stuff should be fixed and whoever is in charge of store UI should have these issues looked into.

All of the sudden my apps stopped updating. They get stuck in installing forever, sometimes they even fill partially the bar, and get stuck in the middle.

All have to manually delete and reinstall them, but as soon as new updates arrive i get stuck again.

The same updates on my iPad (which is still at 5.1.1) goes butter smooth...

Seriously, how could apple screw up the store so badly in ios 6? As if the constant crashing and overall slowness (even though it now shows a lot less content than before on iphone) weren't enough XD

I wish there was a way to tell the App Store that I don't want to update an app. Updates are released very often so I end up with a badge almost permanently on my App Store icon. I'd rather be able to go in and say 'no, don't care about that angry birds update' so it removes the notifier.

Previously you could swipe the update notification and it would go away.

I'd test if this still works for you, but all my apps are stuck updating.

Quick

Banned
So, there's a new way of hiding stock apps (read: Newsstand) without jail breaking.

Visit http://www.cydiahacks.com/, click on the app you want to hide, an install pop-up appears, a progress bar appears on the app you selected to hide and another pop-up telling you the download failed will appear, hold an icon, press X to delete. Done.

It's also reversible if you reboot your iOS device.

Tr4nce

Yeah, this annoys me greatly at times too. Or at least make the badge go away after you have checked and seen the updates. The way it is now, you are being forced to do the updates, or you'll have to constantly look at the red badge.

So, there's a new way of hiding stock apps (read: Newsstand) without jail breaking.

Visit http://www.cydiahacks.com/, click on the app you want to hide, an install pop-up appears, a progress bar appears on the app you selected to hide and another pop-up telling you the download failed will appear, hold an icon, press X to delete. Done.

thanks, its still beyond me why they would want to stop me from organising the order of apps as I please...

Majine

Banned
thanks, its still beyond me why they would want to stop me from organising the order of apps as I please...

The entire work behind Newsstand was so halfassed, lazy and stupid. When iOS5 was first announced I thought Apple was finally going to make the leap to magazines, binding together everything under one roof and make it user friendly. The end result was a disaster.

The entire work behind Newsstand was so halfassed, lazy and stupid. When iOS5 was first announced I thought Apple was finally going to make the leap to magazines, binding together everything under one roof and make it user friendly. The end result was a disaster.

yea I know, the thing that bugs me though is:
at some point someone will have had to say, no I don't want this app to behave like all other apps, it should not be movable to folders...
-why?!- I see no benefit in this what so ever...
and no one was able to dissuade that person...

I've never really understood why people care so much about apps they can't hide. I put them on the third page of the home green which I never, ever go to, so they may as well be dead.

bonesquad

I've never really understood why people care so much about apps they can't hide. I put them on the third page of the home green which I never, ever go to, so they may as well be dead.

I tried that, but my OCD self couldn't handle having a 4th page containing just the one app (Newsstand). I had to move it:(. The other apps I don't mind so much becuase I can hide them in a folder. It's just that stupid Newsstand:)

Is this legit? Never heard of the guy behind this. I know it works but not sure what its installing to my phone and how it's done.

yogloo

I have a question about photostream. When I uploaded a picture as a shared photostream with someone whose icloud storage does it use? Both?
If let's say I have a 10gb icloud account and I shared 10gb worth of pictures will that work? or will the other person have to get additional icloud storage?

McLovin

Quick question. Does ios6 do something to the battery life of the ipad2?
It seems like I have to charge it more frequently, but I'm using it less.

SpacLock

Decided to finally bite and get iO6 today. Fucking sucks. Yeah, whatever, call me what you want, but, it's a horrible, pointless, damaging update. Now I have to restore.

jcm

Is there any way to get turn by turn directions to pause the music when speaking instead of just lowering the volume? It's a real bummer to have a podcast interrupted constantly. Navigon has an audiobook mode that solvers this problem.

I've never done the before. Can I redownload my apps?

Yes, everything you've purchased is stored in your account, so when you open the app store you can view the apps you've purchased and re-download them.

The only thing I haven't liked about this is that I have downloaded a lot of free apps just to try them out, and then delete them. Unfortunately they have stayed in my app purchase store, so I have a huge list of apps that I deleted awhile ago.

mrkgoo

Yes, everything you've purchased is stored in your account, so when you open the app store you can view the apps you've purchased and re-download them.

The only thing I haven't liked about this is that I have downloaded a lot of free apps just to try them out, and then delete them. Unfortunately they have stayed in my app purchase store, so I have a huge list of apps that I deleted awhile ago.

You can hide some purchases from being shown in the purchased list.

noah111

Still Alive
Pretty good effort, but I still prefer the way Windows 7 or Touvhwiz UI does it. Needs more control on sizing etc like on the Note II. You don't necessarily always need exactly half a screen.
That wouldn't really work. iPad apps are specifically designed for that resolution/ratio, so unlike some android apps, the UI can't just shrink and scale like that.

If you could resize the iPad app it would only be a marginal size difference, 152 pixels larger width-wise for one app on the 2048x1536 retina iPad, to be exact. Hardly worth that extra control, which would make the hit points for the other app even smaller, actually probably nearly impossible to hit for some apps.

Bgamer90

Banned
Jasmine update is up.

While I was freaking out over thinking about the lack of background audio, it's still there. It's just that you have to do it yourself (similar to the old stock iOS YouTube app).

I was freaking out like they were going to remove it completely.

Overall, the update adds some cool touches and changes here and there.

so apple has raised prices in Germany (and probably else where I would imagine)

left old, right new

0,79 € -> 0,89 €
1,59 € -> 1,79 €
2,39 € -> 2,69 €
2,99 € -> 3,59 €
3,99 € -> 4,49 €
4,99 € -> 5,49 €
5,49 € -> 5,99 €
5,99 € -> 6,99 €
6,99 € -> 7,99 €
7,99 € -> 8,99 €
8,99 € -> 9,99 €
9,99 € -> 10,99 €

FerranMG

so apple has raised prices inGermany (and probably else where I would imagine)

left old, right new

0,79 € -> 0,89 €
1,59 € -> 1,79 €
2,39 € -> 2,69 €
2,99 € -> 3,59 €
3,99 € -> 4,49 €
4,99 € -> 5,49 €
5,49 € -> 5,99 €
5,99 € -> 6,99 €
6,99 € -> 7,99 €
7,99 € -> 8,99 €
8,99 € -> 9,99 €
9,99 € -> 10,99 €

This sucks, and also new prices are stupid (hope the formatting is right):

Code:
old prices	new prices	diff	diff in %
0,79        	0,89	          0,1	13%
1,59	        1,79	          0,2	13%
2,39	        2,69	          0,3	13%
2,99	        3,59	          0,6	20%
3,99	        4,49	          0,5	13%
4,99        	5,49	          0,5	10%
5,49	        5,99	          0,5	9%
5,99	        6,99	            1 	17%
6,99	        7,99	            1  	14%
7,99	        8,99	            1 	13%
8,99	        9,99	            1 	11%
9,99	        10,99	            1 	10%

LCfiner

if the person doesn't have net access, an offline conversion app can be useful. both wolfram and google suggestions assume you're using a phone or are on wifi.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yeah, I'm looking for an offline one in case I don't have internet access.

So far I just downloaded 'Convert Any Unit - Free' by Cider Software but seeing if there's anything else.

I'm looking for one that has simple access to torque conversions, like newton-meters (nM) to inch-pounds (in-lbs) and vice-versa. Some (or more like a lot of) converters half-assedly just do foot-pounds (ft-lbs) and I still have to manually calculate (ft-lbs * 12) just to get in-lbs.

Yknow...

I finally have a use for Siri now: she really helps a lot for online-based conversions lol (uses Wolfram Alpha). Much easier than having to figure out some app's UI.

*mind blown*

n5025f396ada91_large.gif

jcm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yeah, I'm looking for an offline one in case I don't have internet access.

So far I just downloaded 'Convert Any Unit - Free' by Cider Software but seeing if there's anything else.

I'm looking for one that has simple access to torque conversions, like newton-meters (nM) to inch-pounds (in-lbs) and vice-versa. Some (or more like a lot of) converters half-assedly just do foot-pounds (ft-lbs) and I still have to manually calculate (ft-lbs * 12) just to get in-lbs.

Did you look at Convertbot yet? It's worth the $2. The currency conversion requires net access, but the units conversion works offline.

Note that lots of the units are disabled by default. You have to enable the ones you need in the preferences.

NYR

My iPhone 5 will start playing paused music after I use Siri or finish a phone call. Does this happen to anyone else?

Are you listening to music before activating Siri? Because it will pick up with what you left off on once you are done with it.

If not, nope, that doesn't happen to me.

Top Bottom