• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I'll give Convertbot a try for offline conversions and even the Wolfram Alpha app for added flexibility with Siri, yo.

Thanks again y'all! =)

Edit: Whoa...Convertbot is hella dope, yo. lol

*mind blown...again.*

n5025f396ada91_large.gif

Christopher

Does anyone know what the video limitations are if you wanted to send a large video file over iMessage? I'm talking maybe 10-15 mkns?

DarkFlow

Banned
Posting this here since no one in the iPad thread cares to answer.

Anyone else have problem with FaceTime, I just tried using it with my sister on her iPhone and it won't connect. It rings then just sits on connecting. Ended up just using Skype and it worked fine. On a iPad 2 with iOS 6.

So I just bought a new ipod touch (first touch Ive ever had). Absolutely love it and I already see it as the center of my entertainment for a long time. A few things though:

1) Am I an idiot or do you actually have to have the ipod plugged in for the wireless sync feature to work? If so, then wtf...

2) Can I adjust scroll speed/sensitivity? If I push harder/faster with my thumb, that means I want to move up the page faster...

3) I tried plugging my ipod into my car's usb port, when I do this everything works fine except for one thing: I lose control of my ipod's music functionality. It says something like "Connected to..." and it wont let me choose the song or playlist I want on my ipod, forcing me to use my car's shitty controls.

4) I know the maps are supposed to suck, but is there supposed to be a fix anytime soon? (or a temporary one?) I searched for a restaurant today, and it told me that it was 4.4 miles away, but that it would take me 2 hours and 40 minutes to get there. lol.

5) iOS seems nice, but where can I learn some of the features of safari. So far my browsing experience has been good, but I feel like there are some basic features that I seem to be missing.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I just bought a new ipod touch (first touch Ive ever had). Absolutely love it and I already see it as the center of my entertainment for a long time. A few things though:

1) Am I an idiot or do you actually have to have the ipod plugged in for the wireless sync feature to work? If so, then wtf...

2) Can I adjust scroll speed/sensitivity? If I push harder/faster with my thumb, that means I want to move up the page faster...

3) I tried plugging my ipod into my car's usb port, when I do this everything works fine except for one thing: I lose control of my ipod's music functionality. It says something like "Connected to..." and it wont let me choose the song or playlist I want on my ipod, forcing me to use my car's shitty controls.

4) I know the maps are supposed to suck, but is there supposed to be a fix anytime soon? (or a temporary one?) I searched for a restaurant today, and it told me that it was 4.4 miles away, but that it would take me 2 hours and 40 minutes to get there. lol.

5) iOS seems nice, but where can I learn some of the features of safari. So far my browsing experience has been good, but I feel like there are some basic features that I seem to be missing.
1. It only auto syncs when plugged in, this is done for battery life purposes. You can force wireless sync in the settings->general->iTunes wifi sync at any time.

2. No options, make sure you are "flicking" the screen and lifting you finger off to let the inertial scrolling take over. Sliding faster but leaving your finger on stops the scroll. Pushing harder does nothing it's not pressure sensitive.

3. That is a "feature" of your car. Probably nothing you can do about it.

4. We're you on walking directions by chance?

5. Hold the back button on a page to automatically see history. Tap the status bar (reception time battery) to auto return to the top of the page. The search field will also search on the page (scroll to the bottom of the list). Tapping the thread title on mobile GAF will take you to the bottom of the page. Landscape browsing has an option to hide all the chrome and go full screen.

Ovid

Decided to finally bite and get iO6 today. Fucking sucks. Yeah, whatever, call me what you want, but, it's a horrible, pointless, damaging update. Now I have to restore.
I don't understand this post. What's bad about it?

It's exactly the same iOS 5 with the exception of Google Maps and YouTube apps.

My iPhone 5 will start playing paused music after I use Siri or finish a phone call. Does this happen to anyone else?
Happens to me almost every time. I don't even have to answer the call for it to happen. It's mostly with podcasts, and is sometimes even triggered by text message. It's gone off multiple times in class because someone texts me with my phone on silent, and then music loudly plays in my pocket. It's incredibly frustrating.

Also I hate going to resume my podcast progress by double tapping the home button, only to have it show me the music app instead, and have to go relaunch the podcast app, and find what I was listening to. Was never an issue before.

Also almost every subscription on my podcast feed forgets which episodes I've listened to, and I have to go in and "Mark All As Played" every day, multiple times.

That podcast app needs looked at.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
That is kinda massive, imo...

You can redownload an official youtube app that is better than the original minus teh background play function, and if you want background play functionality, you can always use jasmin, so no loss there. Maps, I think really depends on your area. It's seems fine, and even better in Chicago due to the added functionality, but I understand that is not the case for everyone else.

Vyer

Posting this here since no one in the iPad thread cares to answer.

Anyone else have problem with FaceTime, I just tried using it with my sister on her iPhone and it won't connect. It rings then just sits on connecting. Ended up just using Skype and it worked fine. On a iPad 2 with iOS 6.

Only thing I can think of are making sure you're both on wireless and that FaceTime is set up to receive from whatever you are sending to (number or email). Though if it at least rang, that shouldn't be an issue I would think. What happens if she tries to send a FaceTime call to you from her phone?

DarkFlow

Banned
Only thing I can think of are making sure you're both on wireless and that FaceTime is set up to receive from whatever you are sending to (number or email). Though if it at least rang, that shouldn't be an issue I would think. What happens if she tries to send a FaceTime call to you from her phone?
It rings, I answer and the same connecting thing happens. Did from FaceTime alone and iMessage and same thing.

1. It only auto syncs when plugged in, this is done for battery life purposes. You can force wireless sync in the settings->general->iTunes wifi sync at any time.

2. No options, make sure you are "flicking" the screen and lifting you finger off to let the inertial scrolling take over. Sliding faster but leaving your finger on stops the scroll. Pushing harder does nothing it's not pressure sensitive.

3. That is a "feature" of your car. Probably nothing you can do about it.

4. We're you on walking directions by chance?

5. Hold the back button on a page to automatically see history. Tap the status bar (reception time battery) to auto return to the top of the page. The search field will also search on the page (scroll to the bottom of the list). Tapping the thread title on mobile GAF will take you to the bottom of the page. Landscape browsing has an option to hide all the chrome and go full screen.

Thank you for this, some really good info for a newbie like me right here so I appreciate the response.

I actually wasn't walking, too. I dunno, I think I just dont like the interface for the maps either. I think I will just avoid it all together until they really update it.

Vyer

It rings, I answer and the same connecting thing happens. Did from FaceTime alone and iMessage and same thing.

Hmm. Has she had a FaceTime call work with anyone before? I'm guessing you are thinking its the iPad?

Might be worth it to make an appointment and go by the apple store if you have one nearby.

Could be an issue with the wireless networks you're using. Maybe a port needs to be opened to allow traffic to FaceTime? I haven't had this issue, nor have I had to open a port, but just a suggestion.

Laekon

Finally upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 6 and the new maps really are horrible. It shows a park visitor center in my condo complex even though it is 5 miles away. The corner gas station is shown as being 3/4 of a mile away in a restaurants garden. This is all 40 minutes away from LA so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I'm glad there is finally a clock app but why couldn't they add the calculator to? Oh I like how the world clock is through yahoo!

Happens to me almost every time. I don't even have to answer the call for it to happen. It's mostly with podcasts, and is sometimes even triggered by text message. It's gone off multiple times in class because someone texts me with my phone on silent, and then music loudly plays in my pocket. It's incredibly frustrating.

Also I hate going to resume my podcast progress by double tapping the home button, only to have it show me the music app instead, and have to go relaunch the podcast app, and find what I was listening to. Was never an issue before.

Also almost every subscription on my podcast feed forgets which episodes I've listened to, and I have to go in and "Mark All As Played" every day, multiple times.

That podcast app needs looked at.

Yeah it's usually podcasts. Also everything else you mentioned bugs me. I wish you could set podcasts as the 'default' playing app. I mean it's their app after all.

DarkFlow

Banned
Hmm. Has she had a FaceTime call work with anyone before? I'm guessing you are thinking its the iPad?

Might be worth it to make an appointment and go by the apple store if you have one nearby.
I think it might be more iOS 6 lol. I'm going to roll back to 4.3.3 since that's the only shsh blob I have and check it out.

I know this is probably the wrong thread to say it, but the thought of iOS finally being interesting and good is exciting to me. I love my iPad, but iOS has nothing to do with it.

DarkJC

I'm pretty excited to see what Ive can do for iOS, although I feel like it will be a while before we see his true influence take hold.

Yeah it's usually podcasts. Also everything else you mentioned bugs me. I wish you could set podcasts as the 'default' playing app. I mean it's their app after all.

Agreed. I've considered just taking all of my music off to see if that would fix it, but I'm hoping they'll quietly fix it before it comes down to that. I listen to a ton of podcasts.

noah111

Still Alive
Care to explain the significance of this to the ignorant masses?
Jony Ive and Scott Forstall have been around at Apple for a long, long time. Ive is the one who designs the products, everything from the first iPod to the iMacs to the iPhones, etc, is essentially his work.

Forstall was the guy leading iOS, managing it, and it's basically his baby more or less. There has been tension between him and Ive for a long time, and Forstall is generally a cocky guy.

Simply put, this will mean the industrial design/hardware design and software design/UI will be closer than ever with Ive managing everything HI at Apple. More integration, essentially.

It's a good thing (from what we can tell at this point, and from what the mood seems to be internally at Apple). Read up on this thread for more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497592

hirokazu

Really I just tried it now and it worked first try...
My Siri is set to English (Australian), but it's dictation service probably needs fine tuning because it kept turning "cup" into "cock."

Yep.

Those two works sound nothing alike in Australian English. I can see how it was mistaken if it was matching it to the American pronunciation of cock.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My Siri is set to English (Australian), but it's dictation service probably needs fine tuning because it kept turning "cup" into "cock."

Yep.

Those two works sound nothing alike in Australian English. I can see how it was mistaken if it was matching it to the American pronunciation of cock.
Wow. Don't use Siri to text a friend and see if they want to grab a "cup of joe" with you

Appleman

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't mind the shredder in passbook, or some of the more reasonable skeuomorphism? FmF is fucking appalling though, and they are definitely going overboard with a few things.

Tobor

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't mind the shredder in passbook, or some of the more reasonable skeuomorphism? FmF is fucking appalling though, and they are definitely going overboard with a few things.

No, you aren't the only one. I like some of it. Steve Jobs liked skeuomorphism as well. :)

Skeuomorphism isn't always bad. Just like any other design element, it can be done well and it can be done poorly. There are examples of both in iOS.

Quick

Banned

The shredder in Passbook isn't too bad.

Top Bottom